+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rupert Sheldrake

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,977 times in 5,003 posts

Default Re: How the media debunk....Rupert Sheldrake - Richard Dawkins comes to call

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    In one of the examples that Rupert shows in the above video, he speaks on the idea that the brain may not be the only place where mind and..memory exist.

Now we have this appearing:

Flatworms lose their heads but not their memories: Study finds memories stored outside the brain

http://phys.org/news/2013-08-flatwor...ies-brain.html
    Then you have the hydrocephalic mathematics graduate from Cambridge University whose brain box was full of water. It is mentioned by various authors, notably in a book called Half a Brain. If I had half a brain myself, I would know where I put it

Also Jeremy Narby, in Intelligence in Nature, looks at animals with no brains, and plants that behave like brains, with proteins transmitting information through the plant.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Carmody (19th August 2013), onawah (19th August 2013), Reinhard (19th August 2013), ulli (19th August 2013)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,316 times in 10,234 posts

Default Re: How the media debunk....Rupert Sheldrake - Richard Dawkins comes to call

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)
    Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    In one of the examples that Rupert shows in the above video, he speaks on the idea that the brain may not be the only place where mind and..memory exist.

Now we have this appearing:

Flatworms lose their heads but not their memories: Study finds memories stored outside the brain

http://phys.org/news/2013-08-flatwor...ies-brain.html
    Then you have the hydrocephalic mathematics graduate from Cambridge University whose brain box was full of water. It is mentioned by various authors, notably in a book called Half a Brain. If I had half a brain myself, I would know where I put it

Also Jeremy Narby, in Intelligence in Nature, looks at animals with no brains, and plants that behave like brains, with proteins transmitting information through the plant.
    It is this kind of REAL and Actual outlier that wreaks total havoc with the ideas of what reality and nature actually are.

And that the scientific establishment and that of religion, corporate, politics and finance do NOT want people even begin looking at such things.

All it takes is for the bucket to have one hole, and the entire contents leak out. All it takes is for ONE story of a UFO to be real, and all of it comes in.

This sort of thing happens all the time, thus....all bets are off.

It takes all of science and reality as people know it .... and brings it right down to the killing floor.

What this head full of cranial fluid and no brain means to the scientist, is that...everything, everything, everything the scientist understands as reality -is shattered. All of it is broken. ALL. (all the scientist has to do, is begin the process of thinking about what this sort of situation means. When they do, the dominoes cascade and it all comes down.)

Yet this case of the one person is not unique. There are others who have been found with the same condition.

The foolish will turn from this and concentrate on holding their precious self lie together.... and the intrepid will run into that gap, full of opening and expectation.

Choose wisely.

Mind boggling levels of cognitive dissonance and mental phase lock are require to hold the self lie. Off the scale.
    Last edited by Carmody; 19th August 2013 at 15:00.
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

araucaria (19th August 2013), JRS (21st August 2013), northstar (19th August 2013), onawah (19th August 2013), Teo (20th August 2013), thunder24 (19th August 2013), ulli (19th August 2013), Wind (19th August 2013)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,159 times in 13,484 posts

When faced with what to study after high school, and getting nudged in the direction of science, I recoiled in horror...the little bit I had seen, and the scientists I had met were enough to put me off such an idea for life.
    And not because the science world was boring, as other students thought....
    not at all, but because it was full of dogma, of arrogance, of oneupmanship, far more so than the art and fashion world which I later entered, and which I never regretted. Because designing something practical to wear gets to the core of someone's identity search much better than looking at and measuring the building blocks of our universe.
    Fashion at least allows for consciousness to exist, when science to this day does not.

So my conclusion is that the reluctance of scientists to study the human being, or even to call psychology a pseudo science,
    has to do directly with the fear of the self, with self hatred, and until this blockage is recognized as the core problem of the science world, and efforts are made to overcome these psychotic self denial issues, there will be no turn around for humanity.
    Meanwhile I urge parents to send their kids to art schools, at least for one year, as that will help them decide what direction to take later on.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Carmody (19th August 2013), thunder24 (19th August 2013), Wind (19th August 2013)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ulli (here)
    Meanwhile I urge parents to send their kids to art schools, at least for one year, as that will help them decide what direction to take later on.
    Unsurprisingly, there is a gender issue here too. Historically, arts faculties have been full of girls, and science faculties have had very few. Getting men into the arts may help the men, and getting women into science may help science. Fortunately things have been improving in recent years.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Carmody (19th August 2013)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

Carmody (19th August 2013), JRS (21st August 2013), skyflower (20th August 2013)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Default Rupert Sheldrake and Dogmatism in Mainstream Science

Rupert Sheldrake and Dogmatism in Mainstream Science
    Rolf Sattler

Quote If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may take us” (Adlai Stevenson)

Read it here
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Frederick Jackson (21st February 2014), greybeard (21st February 2014), mosquito (21st February 2014), Star Tsar (21st February 2014)

13. Link to Post #27
    Mexico Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Rupert Sheldrake and Dogmatism in Mainstream Science

Excellent paper, well worth the read. Thanks. The phrase "materialism and mechanism" reminds me of W.R. Reich´s complaint about modern science as "mechano-mystical". Unfortunately I believe many of Reich's heirs have become dogmatic and fallen exactly into the trap of "mechano-mystical" thinking.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frederick Jackson For This Post:

Chester (21st February 2014)

15. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Default Re: Rupert Sheldrake and Dogmatism in Mainstream Science

Quote Posted by Frederick Jackson (here)
    Excellent paper, well worth the read. Thanks. The phrase "materialism and mechanism" reminds me of W.R. Reich´s complaint about modern science as "mechano-mystical". Unfortunately I believe many of Reich's heirs have become dogmatic and fallen exactly into the trap of "mechano-mystical" thinking.
    What I find most interesting is that we human beings appear to follow this same type of pattern regarding any formed pathway whether it may be science or religion or politics or philosophy and on and on. I see this has been my own MO most of my life.

That I have now discovered this habit of mine, missing the massive assumptions I have accepted because I never allow them to arise within my conscious mind, I am now seeing this in just about everyone I interact with.

I then find myself saying... "ah, but your premise requires this assumption"... and I lay that assumption out. Almost without exception, the response is usually, "Well of course that's true (dummy)" and at that moment, all communication has ended and all that follows is argument and/or one party walks away. What I also experience is that almost all the time I here that response, "Of course (dummy), I sense they actually had never actually explored for themselves if the required assumption could be true or not (for them) and that their answer was simply a reaction of their ego. An ego (which is an illusion) protecting an illusion (the false assumption) so that the primary illusion (the ego) is protected.

It seems to me that if a portion of humanity has transcended much of this dynamic, the natural course for that portion would be the forming of their own, separate society. Perhaps this is the position Earth happens to find itself now.
    Last edited by Chester; 21st February 2014 at 15:49.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Frederick Jackson (22nd February 2014), greybeard (21st February 2014), spiritguide (21st February 2014)

17. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Member Referee's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,978 times in 1,576 posts

Default Rupert Sheldrake - The Science Delusion

This book looks like a good read and has my interest, as we all unlock the doors of science.

A nice overview by the Author. He challenges the ten dogmas of science and turns them into questions.

"A nation which has forgotten the quality of courage which in the past has been brought to public life is not as likely to insist upon or regard that quality in its chosen leaders today - and in fact we have forgotten. "John F. Kennedy

Peace, Love and Consiousness
    Referee

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Referee For This Post:

Elixir (2nd April 2014), genevieve (5th April 2014), Gerald Paris (3rd April 2014), giovonni (2nd April 2014), greybeard (2nd April 2014), kemo (12th April 2014), Muzz (3rd April 2014), RunningDeer (3rd April 2014), Sophocles (12th April 2014), STR (3rd April 2014), ViralSpiral (3rd April 2014), Wind (2nd April 2014)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Default Re: Rupert Sheldrake - The Science Delusion

Yes, Sheldrake's writing is as readable as his speaking is listenable-to. Thoroughly recommended.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Muzz (3rd April 2014), Referee (3rd April 2014), Sophocles (12th April 2014), ViralSpiral (3rd April 2014)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,739 times in 1,371 posts

There are some teachers from the UK visiting our school next week, and I've asked if someone could bring this book for me. Fingers crossed !!

I'm hoping it will be as good a read as Richard Dawkins' book, for which it should be an excellent counterbalance.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosquito For This Post:

Referee (3rd April 2014), ViralSpiral (3rd April 2014)

23. Link to Post #32
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Wonderful talk! Thanks
    STR

24. Link to Post #33
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,350 times in 1,657 posts

Thanks Ref. I thought it very interesting that his TED talk was pulled. Although this may have backfired on them -

Ideas Worth Suppressing: Psi Wars and TED's Worst Nightmare

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muzz For This Post:

mosquito (13th April 2014), Sophocles (12th April 2014)

26. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,613 times in 2,179 posts

Dr. Rupert Sheldrake talks about his banned TED talk on Skeptiko with Alex Tsakiris 02/04/2013

.... be gentle with your anger. Sixto Rodriguez, Cape Town 20.02.2013

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ViralSpiral For This Post:

Sophocles (12th April 2014)

28. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,998 times in 449 posts

Thank you, Referee!

Sheldrake is not only brilliant but also understandable. What a combo!

Peace Love Joy & Harmony,
    genevieve

29. Link to Post #36
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by mariposafe (here)
    There are some teachers from the UK visiting our school next week, and I've asked if someone could bring this book for me. Fingers crossed !!

I'm hoping it will be as good a read as Richard Dawkins' book, for which it should be an excellent counterbalance.

I can say I believe it is important to present this to them for reasons other than just the information it contains. It is important as a process. We as educated people owe it to ourselves and the fields we strive in to continue to grow and learn. Continuing education is called that because that is what it is supposed to be. We call a dental practice a practice for a reason. We practice to reach the ideal and be the best we can be, manifesting the best right action procedures and applications for both self and patient. If only everyone did so, perhaps right action would be more common. Or at least the number of people concerned with making right choices and taking right action would be more present.

I started a book once titled: The Danger of the Campfire. My point is this. Have you ever sat around the camp fire with friends, family and like minded folk gathering on a routine basis? Well, I grew up in it. Deer camp friendly, like minded survivor folk from small mining and paper mill towns in Md, and WV that were and are very tight knit. What happens around the deer camp or around the lecture hall cause the lecture hall started somewhere now didn't it? But what happens is people gather and they talk about their day. There are many positive things from this but the negatives I see are the competitions. What happens is the stories come. Then someone wants to top it. Then another and before long you have a competition of story telling and it begins to taint. The competition can get heated. Some take it very serious don' they? Some may even go to extremes to make sure their story gets heard the most, or believed the most or whatever. You see where it goes?

These scholars should always be aware of the ever present games the ego and the mind plays with our own progress. Its good to shove it in their face now and then and remind em to sit their big head down and just listen you bloody fool! Just listen!

30. Link to Post #37
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Excellent talk. May invest in the book as what he says 'resonates' with me. Ingo Swann gave a talk on a similar theme i.e. conventional science and RV. It was posted on PA some time back but I just found on YouTube and it says video unavailable. Pity as I would have liked to have seen again.

31. Link to Post #38
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,715 times in 20,824 posts

Exclamation Joe Rogan Experience Rupert Sheldrake September 2014 [interview starts at 9m21s]

Rupert Sheldrake is doing the cutting edge science that everyone else is afraid to touch. He and I shared the same stage at Joshua Tree at the weekend, and Rupert has just done a fascinating extended interview with Joe Rogan

I always hugely enjoy talking to Joe. He never fails to come up with surprises and new angles on things. One of the best, most incisive, most open-minded interviewers!

~you can skip the very long commercial rant of 9 minutes 21 seconds see: http://youtu.be/ZklRSn92ek4?t=9m21s
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 18th September 2014 at 09:14.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

778 neighbour of some guy (18th September 2014), Hughe (22nd September 2014), Lefty Dave (18th September 2014), MorningFox (18th September 2014), Star Tsar (18th September 2014), TargeT (18th September 2014), Wind (18th September 2014)

33. Link to Post #39
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

Default Re: Joe Rogan Experience Rupert Sheldrake September 2014 [interview starts at 9m21s]

Ah I meant to watch this the other day. Thanks for the reminder!

34. Link to Post #40
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Default Re: Joe Rogan Experience Rupert Sheldrake September 2014 [interview starts at 9m21s]

Great podcast, thanks for posting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast