+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: I was hoping to find somebody well-versed in the interpretation of hermetic or alchemical art on this board. Surprise me!

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks

Default I was hoping to find somebody well-versed in the interpretation of hermetic or alchemical art on this board. Surprise me!

Hi all,

my first own thread here on this forum:

Some 12 years or so I bought a picture book entitled 'The Hermetic Museum'. In it, as the title suggests are hundreds of pictures of medieval paintings laden with hermetic/ alchemical symbology. I was hoping fo find somebody here who understands the symbology and could provide an explanation for a few of them.

This is the book:

It was harder than I thought to find some hi-res pictures of the art depicted in the book, so this is the best I could come up with. My copy of the book is in a moving box at the moment as I'm in between house moves, so I can't upload anything myself right now. Some paintings within the book that I suspect could be of interest are these:

Tabula Smaragdina (The Emerald Tablet)

Flammarion - l'atmosphere

I get that it is the red cloak of the magi and perhaps that he is looking at a world outside of the cosmo-conception of the time or trying to understand the inner workings of the universe, but that is where it ends for me

Mylius Opus Medico Chemicum 1618:

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/filesKHiP8eEE8NKBgj73nmWfBVVPZkvGxvG5A*GwRUJMUkGjDeTx63w5OSQCv-eUQMmFvJXwv6FCFMijMB9EpxXE3T207sC48XwH/amcl16.jpg[/IMG]

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on what these could mean.

2. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), Billy (2nd June 2013), Camilo (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Cidersomerset (3rd June 2013), Cristian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013), donk (3rd June 2013), enfoldedblue (3rd June 2013), Eram (2nd June 2013), eva08 (3rd June 2013), gigha (3rd June 2013), leavesoftrees (6th June 2013), Limor Wolf (2nd June 2013), mahalall (5th June 2013), Realeyes (3rd June 2013), RMorgan (2nd June 2013), Sierra (2nd June 2013), spiritguide (2nd June 2013), Sunny-side-up (2nd June 2013), Swanette (17th June 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (2nd June 2013), william r sanford72 (6th June 2013), Zampano (3rd June 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: I was hoping to find somebody well-versed in the interpretation of hermetic or alchemical art on this board. Surprise me!

on the last one, the straight alignment of the people down the middle of the painting plus the fact that there is a crown on top could resemble the chakras. Or I could be wrong on that?

Is it going to be just me trying to answer my own question here?

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), Billy (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013), Eram (2nd June 2013), Hermite (2nd June 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (2nd June 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

Default Re: I was hoping to find somebody well-versed in the interpretation of hermetic or alchemical art on this board. Surprise me!

Hi Soulboy and welcome to Avalon.

I am no expert but my first impressions are Astrology. The Sun and moon, The twelve apostles representing the 12 zodiacs. The tree of life.

The last picture reminds me of a biblical scene out of the book of Revelations. Johns vision of heaven.

At the top we have the 24 Elders, 12 each side of the crown. The 4 beasts are there, As is the choir of Angels with harps and trumpets.

More info on the 24 here. https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...s-A-revelation

In the foreground, Again the 12 apostles and 12 trees. I would say the Zodiac again with Christ in the middle.

Notice the straight alignment through the Christ is all female right up to the crown again.

Peace

Billyji
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), Camilo (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013), Joseph McAree (29th July 2013), Soulboy (2nd June 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Welcome to PA. Firstly, if you are in Denmark (?) you need to realize that the Americas are all in the early morning hours right now so many members still have their heads upon their pillows.

Now, are you at all familiar with the tenets of Hermeticism, which comprises beliefs and practices whose purpose is the influencing of the world by means of contact with the heavenly forces? There's lots of info at you fingertips, just go ogle it. I think those first 3 pictures illustrate that quite plainly. Those are fabulous pictures, by the way. Thanks for posting them.
    Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    Franklin P. Jones

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hermite For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), Billy (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013), Kryztian (16th May 2022), Soulboy (2nd June 2013)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Yeah, billyji, Many Christian writers considered Hermes Trismegistus to be a wise pagan prophet who foresaw the coming of Christianity.
    Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
    Franklin P. Jones

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hermite For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), Billy (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013), Kryztian (16th May 2022), william r sanford72 (6th June 2013)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hermite (here)
    Welcome to PA. Firstly, if you are in Denmark (?) you need to realize that the Americas are all in the early morning hours right now so many members still have their heads upon their pillows.
    Hi Hermite,

thanks for your reply and yes, I am perfectly aware of the time differences as I have been working with people located in the US for a decade. I wasn't being impatient, it was just a little joke. I didn't expect people to fall over themselves to provide detailed analysis of the pics 2 minutes after I posted them, don't worry!

Also, I am from Germany, not Denmark, but no problem of course. The Danish flag is a white cross on red background and its abbreviation is .dk

I am aware of the points you listed, but I think there may be yet more to uncover on the pictures. Unfortunately, I was unable to find some of the more cryptic ones for free online. One day when I have moved and can locate the book more easily, I will look up some of the titles of the drawings/ paintings and post those as well.

Thanks again for now

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Oh, I cannot recommend the book highly enough. There are some very pretty pictures in there, I forgot to mention.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013), Limor Wolf (2nd June 2013)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member spiritguide's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,730 times in 1,479 posts

Welcome to Avalon! The first picture illustrated the dualistic nature of the universe indicating the dualistic. Male/Female as above so below and the phases of the moon every twenty eight days. The natural universe. Triumvirate in nature as indicated through the triangle. Just my take.

Peace!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spiritguide For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), Camilo (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013), Limor Wolf (2nd June 2013), Soulboy (2nd June 2013)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Thanks, on the first picture, any idea what the lion throwing up means? Also the circle of zodiacs (???), why is there a raven, swan, griffin for example? They're not your traditional zodiac signs.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013)

17. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,004 times in 2,540 posts

This subject takes years of study and is incredibly interesting. How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? I would suggest a good place to start would be Jordan Maxwell. http://jordanmaxwell.com/ Also pick up a symbology book to start. There are many which include brief explanations at your local bookstore.

Also, I would suggest typing the words you are interested into the Avalon search engine at the top right side of the page. Enjoy!

From the Heart,
    Kristin

Aslo, here is a link to a friend of mine in California, Art Kunkin. He's an amazing person and easy to talk with. http://www.alchemyconference.com/ind...article&id=108
    Last edited by Kristin; 2nd June 2013 at 14:49.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kristin For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013), Limor Wolf (2nd June 2013), northstar (2nd June 2013), RMorgan (2nd June 2013), Soulboy (2nd June 2013)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Retired Member gaiagirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Soulboy and welcome to PA..this looks to be an interesting and informative thread you have started here...I have been researching this topic for about 4 years now. Due to time constraints, I would like to direct you to the following video which is a presentation by Santos Bonacci.

If you have not read or watched him prior, I highly recommend his work which pulls together his vast and deep knowledge obtained through years of reaseaching that which you speak of and ties it all together. It is a take on the subject matter that may or may not resonate with you but if it does, you can follow up with part-two also there on youtube. If you check out MrAstrotheology's channel, you will find more of his presentations. Get ready to take notes!

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gaiagirl For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013), Kristin (2nd June 2013), northstar (2nd June 2013), seeker/reader (2nd June 2013), Soulboy (2nd June 2013), spiritguide (2nd June 2013)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 times in 466 posts

Those alchemical images are doorways into eternity (the subconscious, the zero point field, the source of all).
    Instead of looking for a left brained interpretation try working with the images dynamically.

There are countless ways to do this but here is one simple exercise:

Before bedtime find a quite place where you will not be disturbed.
    Turn off all electronic distractions.
    Spend a few minutes at bedtime gazing at the image.
    Enter into a state of quiet mindfulness when thoughts, images and impressions start flowing.
    Just let them flow and be present with what shows up (don't try to interpret!)
    Set an intention (saying it out loud is best):
    "I respectfully ask this image to convey what it has to teach me" (or something worded along those lines)
    Go to sleep.

When you awaken write down any dream fragments.
    If you do this in a dedicated way for 30 days it will literally transform your life.

Have fun!
    The 'rebellion' of the Mind, having the Mind run the show, is the Luciferian rebellion of wanting to leave Love-Christ-Heart behind and create a universe without the 'pesky feeling of the heart' holding it back
    ~ Tobias Lars

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to northstar For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), chocolate (6th June 2013), gaiagirl (2nd June 2013), leavesoftrees (6th June 2013), mahalall (5th June 2013), Quantum Odyssey (3rd June 2013), Soulboy (2nd June 2013), spiritwind (3rd June 2013)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,913 times in 540 posts

Hi Soulboy! Welcome to Avalon!

The first image ''Tabula Smaragdina' is on the front cover of my copy of the book 'The Secret Teachings of All Ages' by Manly P Hall, which is an 'Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Quabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolic Philosophy'. You might find this book useful, and you can read the whole thing online here:http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/index.htm

This specific chapter in the book covers The Emerald Tablet of Hermes in detail:http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta38.htm

I wouldn't know where to start with all that Hermetic stuff myself though, it's way complex.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), chocolate (6th June 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (2nd June 2013), northstar (2nd June 2013), Soulboy (2nd June 2013)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Thanks a lot. I have been into Maxwell's stuff for a good 10 years now and have seen some of Bonacci's videos over the last year or two, but neither really gets into the specifics of a double lion throwing up, haha. It could be the zodiac of leo, but what is the context and what has the poor thing eaten to make it throw up

I was hoping to meet a mage in a red cloak type as pictured in one of the paintings who really has the goods on hermetic art and symbology.

I'll try northstar's suggestion, but only once I have moved as there isn't a quiet environment here while in between house moves. Thanks to all. Let's see if we can get a hardcore symbologist out of the coffin that he or she lives in

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Thanks, I have the pdf and a few other texts on the emerald tablet in pdf form as well, but would prefer the short-cut here, even though it's very interesting. The reading list keeps piling up, though.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Also, there is something interesting that a friend of Bonacci brings up on his youtube channel that I saw a few months ago. It's about the orion nebula in various paintings in churches around the world. Has anyone seen that? I am not fully convinced, but the idea is interesting since the churches were built long before the telescopes necessary to see the nebula were invented.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013), spiritwind (3rd June 2013)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,913 times in 540 posts

The Lion is a solar symbol. It could be that it is a tree growing up under the Suns rays(not vomit LOL). The two bodies of the lion may represent the divine union of male and female causing illumination in the initiate.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

CdnSirian (2nd June 2013), Darla Ken Pearce (6th June 2013), Soulboy (2nd June 2013)

29. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member seeker/reader's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 times in 540 posts

------------------------
    Last edited by seeker/reader; 31st July 2013 at 12:33. Reason: added chart of planetary symbols

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to seeker/reader For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), bodhibeth (10th July 2013), gaiagirl (2nd June 2013), leavesoftrees (6th June 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (2nd June 2013), Sierra (2nd June 2013), Soulboy (2nd June 2013), spiritguide (2nd June 2013), spiritwind (3rd June 2013)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Posted by seeker/reader (here)
    Okay, here is my take on the above picture, using information I gained by watching Santos Bonacci's videos regarding astrotheology, etc....

Wow, you clearly have been paying attention. Not bad at all. Thanks very much for that. You'll be a tough act to follow...

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), seeker/reader (2nd June 2013)

33. Link to Post #17
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

Quote Posted by AwakeInADream (here)
    Hi Soulboy! Welcome to Avalon!

The first image ''Tabula Smaragdina' is on the front cover of my copy of the book 'The Secret Teachings of All Ages' by Manly P Hall, which is an 'Encyclopedic Outline of Masonic, Hermetic, Quabbalistic and Rosicrucian Symbolic Philosophy'. You might find this book useful, and you can read the whole thing online here:http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/index.htm

This specific chapter in the book covers The Emerald Tablet of Hermes in detail:http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta38.htm

I wouldn't know where to start with all that Hermetic stuff myself though, it's way complex.
    This a great place to start.

In order to understand symbology one would be wise to understand the philosophies of the author, in most cases in the op, i see, is Hermes.

Books of Hermetics i recommend are

The Kybalion
    The Emerald Tablet
    The Great Pymander
    ( in that order )

The Kybalion will set you up with the laws of our logos, it would be wise to know these first. The Emerald Tablet will introduce you to the sacred language , meaning it will challenge you to "think" ... Once you have a feeling for that then read the Great Pymander ( bring head ache tablets ) .

I once read a sentence in the Great Pymander , containing 12 words, repeatedly for 2 hours and every time i read it it had a different meaning. Its language is absolute intelligence.

Then you will have a good understanding of the symbology as it is a sort of bvasic map to the lectures and philosophy of Hermes. I have been studying Hermes for just on 20 years now and only in the last 5 have gotten a basic footing into his teachings. All i can say is its worth the effort. The teachings open your very soul to the infinite possibilities that surround us.

And if i may offer some back groud to Hermes as i am very close to him my self. Hermes was not a pagan , Greek and Egyptian philosophers both argue he was from their lands .. ( a proud gem in the crown id say )

Hermes was the first incarnate being to ever write the word of God C 2500 bc. ( to best of my memory ) from his texts were the basis of the Bible , the Koran , and Christian texts.

Hermes was pius in all he did. He was the father of many children of which went out and became kings and queens within the realms of Greece , Egypt and into the Middle East .. some as far as Mongolia and down into Africa. There are some decendants of these children alive today.

I believe you will have an enchanting and fulfilling reward in discovering these sacred texts. If you ever wish to know more about Hermes Mercurius Trismegistus please pm me : 0 )

Naniu

34. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member seeker/reader's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 times in 540 posts

------------
    Last edited by seeker/reader; 31st July 2013 at 12:33. Reason: added chart of planetary symbols

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to seeker/reader For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), gripreaper (2nd June 2013), leavesoftrees (6th June 2013), Soulboy (2nd June 2013)

36. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

I had two recommendations, but it seems they are already made above:

I agree with AwakeInADream recommendation for Manley Hall's "Secret Teachings of All Ages", and also Kristin's recommendation about Jordan Maxwell. However, Jordan's website is now jordanmaxwellshow.com . The jordanmaxwell.com site was stolen from him. His new site has some great free interviews.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), Soulboy (2nd June 2013)

38. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and for the great info.

I have read parts of the Kybalion, but it's not exactly something you'd read while waiting for the bus and I used to be a very busy man in the hamster wheel that looked like a career ladder from the inside, so greatly enjoy to have more time for self-development, reading, music, sports and other much more worthwhile things.

I have listened to some lectures by Manly P. Hall on astrotheology, Atlantis and other things a few months ago. Very well read man, but his songs of praise to Lucifer are not something I am too fond of, personally, so not sure if I'll ever get round to reading him proper.

I understand it's a long path to really understand Hermeticism, which is why I came here for a kind of short-cut preview on just a few image interpretations.

Many believe that the great work occurs only in the philosophers head upon meditation on Hermes' mysteries and teachings, which I think may actually be the case. Although I once read about a Swiss chap who was on live TV with a scientific panel watching his every move, transforming mercury into gold. Can't remember the name and it must have been in the 70s or 80s or sth. The only problem from a financial gain point of view was that the ingredients required for the process cost more than to actuallly buy the gold, haha, but that is not the point to a person like that, OBVIOUSLY!

Hermes always managed to catch my interest and the Kybalion is fascinating. I will get back to that at some point, I'm certain of it. The emerald tablets also currently enjoy a fairly good priority rating on my reading list...

thanks for offering me the chance to ask you questions. That is very nice and I'm sure I will make use of it at some point.

I feel somewhat dwarfed knowledge-wise by some of your replies I received to this thread already. Great to have such knowledgeable people to ask.

Wow, what a place this forum is What took me so long to find here...

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (2nd June 2013), seeker/reader (3rd June 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast