+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: I was hoping to find somebody well-versed in the interpretation of hermetic or alchemical art on this board. Surprise me!

1. Link to Post #41
    Thanks

Default Re: I was hoping to find somebody well-versed in the interpretation of hermetic or alchemical art on this board. Surprise me!

Quote Posted by Tesla_WTC_Solution (here)

I've been wanting to reply to this thread but forgot!
    These pictures are really fascinating, and like you, I've wondered a lot about the meanings of some of these strange symbols!

Right now, I wanted to tell you, the one on the bottom with the cupola and the sun wheen built into the garden,
    reminds me of Tommaso Campanella's book "Civitas Solis", or "City of the Sun".
    The utopian metropolis in his book is usually depicted as a huge architectural sun wheel like the picture above.
    Christ is actually pictured in your version, standing in the center of the wheel-shaped garden.
    It seems that after Constantinople and all of that was established, Christ became somewhat synonymous with the Sun and the cross and the sun are often found together in medieval art. I don't know if that constituted a heretical belief or if it was also popular with Catholicism.

First of all, hello, and thanks for liking this thread. It has been quite interesting to learn more about these pictures. It sounds like you would like that book as well. Since it's not that expensive, I'd recommend you get yourself a copy :-)

Are you famililar with Jordan Maxwell's work? In case you are not, he and a bunch of others suggest that Christ (the mythical one at least, not to offend any faithful Christians here) has never been anything but a symbol of the sun. Some of his arguments go like as follows:

son of god - sun of god

dies and is resurrected - shortest days around the winter solstice

12 apostles - 12 zodiacs

water out of wine - rain from spring turns empty hills into hills full of grapes in autumn, of which wine is made

walks over water - the sun walks across the water (sea) every day

and on and on it goes. Check him out if you're not familiar with his work. Also, Santos Bonacci was recommended. He's quite an interesting chap as well.

In many similar depictions the anchorite would be staring up at a Bell on top of the tower, and the bell is actuated by the hand of God.
    I am not sure what the bell stands for, maybe time or order? The early freemasons and priory of Sion used the bell as a symbol along with the Eastern Star.
    Isn't a bell a symbol for Saturn? I thought I had read that somewhere. It was used to explain why Bel Air was called that. The same place I read that also mentioned that this would be where Beelzebub got his name from. Also, you give your partner a 'ring' when the wedding bells ring...

In fact if you google tommaso campanella's picture, you could find an engraving with a bell over his head, depicting the eastern star.
    I am not sure if the eastern star really stands for venus or the sun, but venus is an important symbol for Mary in some offshoots of christian mysticism.
    the triangle is shown in your image above the door arch, much similar to the other picture you've got where the sun and moon figures are approaching the crypt with a triangle on top.
    The triangle was an important symbol to the masons and mystics as well. I am not really sure what it all means, lol. but they use it to represent their hermetical sciences, imo.
    the two pillars on either side of the archway might symbolize Boaz and Joachin, which were the two pillars that supported and adorned Solomon's temple.
    they were encased in brilliant metal and really "popped".
    the tarot often depicts the "High Priestess" figure (major arcana?) as sitting between these two pillars, holding the scroll of the law (Torah).
    She represents truth, wisdom, fertility, etc. -- and justice. there are a lot of meanings assigned to her and to the pillars.
    Wisdom sits between the things that are and the things that are not, after all, and we use it to navigate peril.
    Yes, you are right. As far as I know, Venus is the equivalent of Semiramis, Ishtar, Columbia, Juno, Aphrodite, Mary Magdalene and many other goddesses from other traditions.

I thought that Boaz and Jachin were symbosl for the sun and moon, male and female energies, no?

Thanks for your many interesting observations and comments. Glad you showed up, better late than never!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (16th June 2013), Sierra (17th June 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (19th June 2013)

3. Link to Post #42
    New Zealand Avalon Member witchy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,712 times in 1,183 posts

Default Re: I was hoping to find somebody well-versed in the interpretation of hermetic or alchemical art on this board. Surprise me!

If I could strongly suggest reading: The Perennial Tradition by Norman D Livergood. Its a synchronicity thing, when you are ready the information will come....I only recently was provided this information and direction, and now I can share with you all.

The Perennial Tradition has taken many names over the centuries, including Hermeticism, Philosophia, Neo-Plataonism, Illuminism, Alchemy, Cabala, Magic, Gnosticism, Esotericism and Sufism. The secret legacy, the single stream of initiatory teaching flowing through all the great schools of mysticism and genuine philosophy.

This book will answer much that you seek and provide infinite wisdom and learning opportunities that reflect the pictures that you have posted. In essense it describes

While I am trying to understand (and it is difficult) it speaks much our potentials, of consciousness and how to raise it - and why we need to do this. How we came to be here and our purpose. The magic that comes with the knowledge is a by-product and while it may wow the unitiated it has its own purpose.

I should warn you - You will not be able to "learn" those things from this from any book. But this will provide the fertilizer for the soil that you are preparing.

Of some interest is the Egyptian context (hall of records - yes it existed and links to the library of Alexandria) the Middle East knowledge, the Indian knowledge

"The secret teachings" were passed from generation to generation through the line of transmission with the Perennial Tradition - You may know some of these names

Isaiah (8th Centry BCE) Zoroaster (6th Century BCE) Gautama, the Buddha (563-483 BCE) Hermes (indeterminate) Pythagoras (died 497 BCE) Empedocles (492-432BCE) Socrates (470-399BCE) Plato (427-347 BCE) Jesus (4-29 BCE) Dionysis the Areopagite (1st Centuary CE) Marcion (85-144 CE) Hujwiri (died 1062)
    El-Ghazali (1059-1111) Shahabudin Suhrawardi (1145-1235) Shihab al-Din al-Suhrawardi (1154-1191) Ibn el-Arabi (1164-1240)
    Other names you may know on the list include
    St. Francis ( 1182 - 1226) Rumi (1207-1273) Albertus Magnus (1206-1280) Roger Bacon (1214-1294) Paracelsus (1473-1541) Shakespeare (1564-1616) (whoever he was) etc etc

Norman background is amazing: He is a Master of Divinity, MA, Doctorate of Philosopy from Yale, Masters equivalenat in Psychology, A Second doctorate in artificial intelligence. Teaches to Universities across the United States and severd as Professor and Chair of Aritificial Intelligence at the US Army War College. He carries out extensive research and publishes in the fiields of philosophy philosophy of religion, Artificial Intelligence, political-economic philosophy of religion etc etc.
    In other words he is very clued up and knows a lot about this stuff

If you can wrap your head around some of this information head over to his website:
    http://www.hermes-press.com/perennialist_seers.htm

While he does not say as much, I suspect he is probably a Perenialist himself given the manner in which he speaks. (this is the only way you can discern)

This is really heavy going!!! and is so important and relevant for today and has many implicaitons for where we are heading as humanity. He provides a portent for us:

World citizens are presently facing the ravages of deliberate cultural destruction by politicians and their corporate controllers. We're entering a period when much of the Perennialist wisdom will have to go underground, to protect it from destruction by savages and barbarians--now called "compassionate conservatives."

Those among humankind who can understand the enduring importance of the higher knowledge and values embodied in such Forms as Commonwealth, must preserve this priceless heritage and assist humankind to return to the right path. These few (about 10%) will have to carry out cloaked operations to safeguard and disseminate the hidden wisdom. This essay constitutes a call to action in this regard, and will resonate with those who have developed advanced powers of discernment.

Hermes

Sorry for the long post. The picture that you have put up tries to describe the philosophy of as above so below
    Last edited by witchy1; 17th June 2013 at 01:14.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to witchy1 For This Post:

AwakeInADream (17th June 2013), Sierra (17th June 2013), Soulboy (17th June 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (19th June 2013)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

Once again thanks to all of you for making this thread so interesting. There is lots of reading to catch up already and I look forward to any further additions and comments.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (17th June 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (19th June 2013)

7. Link to Post #44
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,159 times in 13,484 posts

Quote Posted by Soulboy (here)
    Quote Posted by seeker/reader (here)

Maybe Hermes' golden drink (knowledge??/awakening??) is the "key" to opening the golden gate so the soul can ascend.
    To my knowledge gold symbolises consciousness, silver denotes deception. Interestingly, the new pope's ring is a silver ring coated in gold. We're told that he's too down to earth for a pure gold ring. What a humble man
    Gold is associated with Leo, which is ruled by the sun.
    The light of the sun is self generated, unlike the moon's light, which is merely the sun's light reflected..hence the idea of deception.
    Silver is the metal for Cancer, which is ruled by the moon.

The first two hexagrams of the I Ching are called the Creative and the Reflective...thus they could also be considered as representing the Sun and the Moon.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

AwakeInADream (17th June 2013), DeDukshyn (16th May 2022), Soulboy (17th June 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (19th June 2013)

9. Link to Post #45
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Nanoo Nanoo (here)
    Manly P Hall is one of my favorites. The lucifer and Christ opposition in lore is confusing however have we ever seen a depiction of Lucifer ? is there a church that edifies this entity with a statue ? no ... however we are covered with the images of Christ and he is remembered by hanging dead on a cross. I have no propencity to either but i wanted to point out something interesting thats been going on for so long.

I try not to label things i do not fully understand or judge but why is it that our saviour is remembered symbolically as being crucified ? Yes we know of his sufferance and sacrifice but the crucifiction angle does not rub well with me. perhap s ill understand it one day. Ironically the very people who crucified him made a church around this happening depicting him being crucified. That in its self should get people to err on the side of caution bowing to such idols.

Naniu
    It may seem ironic to remember Christ hanging on the cross, (and I'm no bible basher, believe me) but it makes sense for an institution that does not really adhere to the values ascribed to this figure to worship him depicted in the process of dying or having been executed. That is quite symbolic, really... It could be interpreted as mockery
    The crucifixion has several meanings. The outer meaning is that after demonstrating his supernatural powers, Christ made no effort to save himself from torture. In other words his death was a sacrifice. An act of voluntary suffering. When it was over more events took place, which were further demonstrations of his powers...and the whole purpose of his coming, namely to demonstrate that life continued after death.
    The inner meaning of cross has to do with the fact that planetary angles open inter-dimensional gates. When planets form angles of 120 degrees, also called Trines, blessings come into one's life, and rewards.
    When planets form 90 degree angles suffering and adverse conditions take place, and man needs to struggle. This then forces him to find solutions, which manifest after the star gate closes again.
    When four planets are placed at 90 degrees from each other it is called a Grand Cross, and people born at such times have much harder lives than people born when the planets form a Grand Trine.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

AwakeInADream (17th June 2013), Soulboy (17th June 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (19th June 2013), Tracie (Bodhicee) (16th May 2022)

11. Link to Post #46
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

[QUOTE=ulli;689097][QUOTE=Soulboy;682354]
    Quote Posted by Nanoo Nanoo (here)
    The inner meaning of cross has to do with the fact that planetary angles open inter-dimensional gates. When planets form angles of 120 degrees, also called Trines, blessings come into one's life, and rewards.
    When planets form 90 degree angles suffering and adverse conditions take place, and man needs to struggle. This then forces him to find solutions, which manifest after the star gate closes again.
    When four planets are placed at 90 degrees from each other it is called a Grand Cross, and people born at such times have much harder lives than people born when the planets form a Grand Trine.
    it's interesting that you were thinking of this, because it just so happens that we are in a special month:

http://www.mysticmamma.com/june-2013...ine-blessings/
    http://www.aquariuspapers.com/astrol...-continue.html
    Quote Astrology in June 2013 – The Grand Water Trines in Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces Continue

by Robert Wilkinson

Venus has now entered Cancer and begun its dance in the Grand Water Trine gala!

In this sequence of Grand Water Trines, we’ve already begun to get some form of understanding or communication via Mercury, and will now begin to have our Venusian experience of the Grand Water Trine through the next week or so. This harmonizes the planets and houses in our charts involving Taurus, Gemini, Virgo, and Libra (these signs ruled by Mercury and Venus) with areas involving Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces (these signs ruled by Saturn and on a spiritual level, Neptune).

The Moon will make the Grand Water Trine June 9-10, as will the Sun from June 21-27. Jupiter moves everything into a new dimension and expanding reality when it enters Cancer June 25 at 6:40 pm PDT, June 26 at 2:40 am Greenwich. The Jupiter Grand Water Trine lasts through late July.

Mars brings up the finalization process when it enters Cancer July 13 at 6:22 am PDT, 2:22 pm Greenwich. It will make a Grand Water trine from then through the third week of July.

This will initiate a time when planets and houses ruled by these transiting planets (Aries, Cancer, Leo, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Pisces) are pulled into the harmony or understanding being initiated now. So take note of how Mercury and Venus are showing the future way, since we'll have integration practice later this month, and expansion and implementation practice in July.

12. Link to Post #47
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

the Lion is the 'king of the jungle' ie the ruling consciousness of an individual, ie the ego.

In alchemy you see the Lion go through all the various stages of alchemical transformation, the lion streaming water is the ego in 'solutio' which the alchemical stage of dissolution.

You will also find alchemical images of the Lion trapped in a vessel under which are the flames of psychic heat ,, he is 'cooking' ie maturing.. and he reaches various stages, albedo, rubedo and nigredo.. reddening, whitening and blackening.. his psyche must heat up in order to cook.. he usually bites his paws off in desperation. EVentually he will undergo the required transformation at which point he is depicted as the New King.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to minkton For This Post:

AwakeInADream (4th July 2013), Bill Ryan (6th July 2022), Soulboy (28th June 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd June 2013), Tracie (Bodhicee) (16th May 2022)

14. Link to Post #48
    United States Avalon Member Ahnung-quay's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 times in 405 posts

While I agree that alchemy is a metaphor for raising individual consciousness, I believe that the philosophers throughout the ages were also practicing actual chemistry with the goal of making gold. Some believe that it was made with urine, a naturally filtered liquid. The essence of the ether was distilled out of the urine. Once that was accomplished, a small amount of silver or gold was added which grew more silver or gold. The alchemists depicted the stages of the transformation in various ways in order to hide the true nature of alchemical process from the unenlightened. It was felt that in order to be initiated, the student must come to a transformation within the self first. Otherwise, ego would take over and the processes would be used in a negative way. The philosophers used the stars and the planets as a guide as to when to time the beginning and the stages of their processes. The process is described as the marriage of the sun and the moon. The lion was an ancient symbol of the sun and of kingship on earth; the lions mane directly taken as the sun. The lion goes through the stages of the alchemical process, changing colors. In part of the process, the lion eats the sun. The lion is depicted spitting out fluid onto the earth representing the fire (plasma) energy of the sun going into the earth element. The philosophers felt that the fire (sun energy) in earth is responsible for the growth of metals over extremely long periods of time. The alchemical process is a speeding up of the natural processes of nature.
    The stages of the process are also described as letting the eagles fly and the phoenix rising from its ashes. In the western zodiac, the transformation occurs as symbolized by the sign of Scorpio which even in modern astrology symbolizes a purification and soul transformation, being ruled by Pluto. Scorpio is also the location of the galactic center where the original fire/plasma/change information comes from; the waters above.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ahnung-quay For This Post:

AwakeInADream (4th July 2013), Bill Ryan (6th July 2022), Soulboy (7th July 2013), ulli (3rd July 2013)

16. Link to Post #49
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ahnung-quay (here)
    While I agree that alchemy is a metaphor for raising individual consciousness, I believe that the philosophers throughout the ages were also practicing actual chemistry with the goal of making gold. Some believe that it was made with urine, a naturally filtered liquid. The essence of the ether was distilled out of the urine. Once that was accomplished, a small amount of silver or gold was added which grew more silver or gold. The alchemists depicted the stages of the transformation in various ways in order to hide the true nature of alchemical process from the unenlightened. It was felt that in order to be initiated, the student must come to a transformation within the self first. Otherwise, ego would take over and the processes would be used in a negative way. The philosophers used the stars and the planets as a guide as to when to time the beginning and the stages of their processes. The process is described as the marriage of the sun and the moon. The lion was an ancient symbol of the sun and of kingship on earth; the lions mane directly taken as the sun. The lion goes through the stages of the alchemical process, changing colors. In part of the process, the lion eats the sun. The lion is depicted spitting out fluid onto the earth representing the fire (plasma) energy of the sun going into the earth element. The philosophers felt that the fire (sun energy) in earth is responsible for the growth of metals over extremely long periods of time. The alchemical process is a speeding up of the natural processes of nature.
    The stages of the process are also described as letting the eagles fly and the phoenix rising from its ashes. In the western zodiac, the transformation occurs as symbolized by the sign of Scorpio which even in modern astrology symbolizes a purification and soul transformation, being ruled by Pluto. Scorpio is also the location of the galactic center where the original fire/plasma/change information comes from; the waters above.
    The irony is this...once a person is 100% transformed, and can make gold, they no longer need to. All they need for their physical life on this planet comes their way, when and where they need it. Who then even needs gold?

When Pluto energy is allowed to flow in a proper way, and Scorpios are transformed until they shine their powerful torches into the furthest recesses of their inner Hades, it will raise the energy for all, and then they can bring others in touch with that they need most.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Ahnung-quay (3rd July 2013), AwakeInADream (4th July 2013), Bill Ryan (6th July 2022), Curt (3rd July 2013), Soulboy (7th July 2013), sunflower (15th May 2022), Tracie (Bodhicee) (16th May 2022)

18. Link to Post #50
    United States Avalon Member Ahnung-quay's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 times in 405 posts

Yes, that is the conclusion that I came to while researching all of this. If all is mind, as the Kybalion states, all we need is our inner self. The plasma energy can be obtained directly from father Sun and the personal physical needs become minimal.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ahnung-quay For This Post:

AwakeInADream (4th July 2013), Bill Ryan (6th July 2022), Soulboy (7th July 2013)

20. Link to Post #51
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,701 times in 20,824 posts

Lightbulb Re: I was hoping to find somebody well-versed in the interpretation of hermetic or alchemical art on this board. Surprise me!

• Incredible Knowledge Is Found In A 1908 Book | 33rd Degree Knowledge:

This book has been the subject of intrigue and speculation for over 100 years. It claims to present the most ancient and fundamental principles of Egyptian philosophy, pulled from the Hermetic lore of the god Djehuti himself. Its authors are unknown, its sources impossible to verify, and even its publication is cloaked in mystery. Yet the seven principles of The Kybalion are not only startlingly parallel to our most recent understandings of ancient Egyptian philosophy, but they are also undeniable, meaningful, and relevant to everyday life.

• 00:00 What is The Kybalion?
    • 01:12 Who was Hermes Trismegistus?
    • 02:17 The Hermetic Principle Of Mentalism
    • 04:10 The Hermetic Principle of Correspondence
    • 06:45 The Hermetic Principle of Vibration
    • 09:47 The Hermetic Principle of Polarity
    • 12:42 The Hermetic Principle of Rhythm
    • 15:17 The Hermetic Principle of Cause and Effect
    • 17:50 The Hermetic Principle of Gender
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 15th May 2022 at 23:12.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th July 2022), Harmony (16th May 2022), pabranno (16th May 2022), Peace in Oz (7th July 2022), sunflower (15th May 2022)

22. Link to Post #52
    UK Avalon Member lightpotential's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,165 times in 149 posts

Hi all,

my first own thread here on this forum:

Some 12 years or so I bought a picture book entitled 'The Hermetic Museum'. In it, as the title suggests are hundreds of pictures of medieval paintings laden with hermetic/ alchemical symbology. I was hoping fo find somebody here who understands the symbology and could provide an explanation for a few of them.

This is the book:

It was harder than I thought to find some hi-res pictures of the art depicted in the book, so this is the best I could come up with. My copy of the book is in a moving box at the moment as I'm in between house moves, so I can't upload anything myself right now. Some paintings within the book that I suspect could be of interest are these:

Tabula Smaragdina (The Emerald Tablet)

Flammarion - l'atmosphere

I get that it is the red cloak of the magi and perhaps that he is looking at a world outside of the cosmo-conception of the time or trying to understand the inner workings of the universe, but that is where it ends for me

Mylius Opus Medico Chemicum 1618:

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/filesKHiP8eEE8NKBgj73nmWfBVVPZkvGxvG5A*GwRUJMUkGjDeTx63w5OSQCv-eUQMmFvJXwv6FCFMijMB9EpxXE3T207sC48XwH/amcl16.jpg[/IMG]

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on what these could mean.
    Hello Soulboy

The last person just posted a reply to this thread and 'resurrected' it from 9 years ago. I was intrigued though, in looking at the images. As it has been so long, may I ask for an update from you? Have you found the solution to the images yourself in this time?

Sincerely

Keith
    Visit my website Lost Age Secrets

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lightpotential For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th July 2022), ExomatrixTV (17th May 2022), Harmony (16th May 2022), pabranno (16th May 2022), Soulboy (6th July 2022), Tracie (Bodhicee) (16th May 2022)

24. Link to Post #53
    Thanks

Hi Keith,

I haven't, I'm afraid. I use the site very infrequently these days. Not because I have lost interest, but due to a lack of time and focus on other aspects of my life. If anyone can point out the meanings and explain, I'd still be very curious and eager to learn though.

Kind regards

SB

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th July 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3