+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I was hoping to find somebody well-versed in the interpretation of hermetic or alchemical art on this board. Surprise me!

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

Default Re: I was hoping to find somebody well-versed in the interpretation of hermetic or alchemical art on this board. Surprise me!

Quote Posted by Nanoo Nanoo (here)
    Books of Hermetics i recommend are

The Kybalion
    The Emerald Tablet
    The Great Pymander
    ( in that order )

The Kybalion will set you up with the laws of our logos, it would be wise to know these first. The Emerald Tablet will introduce you to the sacred language , meaning it will challenge you to "think" ... Once you have a feeling for that then read the Great Pymander ( bring head ache tablets ) .

I once read a sentence in the Great Pymander , containing 12 words, repeatedly for 2 hours and every time i read it it had a different meaning. Its language is absolute intelligence.

Naniu
    Nanoo, I really want to see this sentence. .

do you have access so you may quote it to us?

Thanks, Sierra

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

AwakeInADream (3rd June 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (3rd June 2013), Soulboy (3rd June 2013), spiritguide (3rd June 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (17th June 2013)

3. Link to Post #22
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    where ever there is a smile, ill be there :-)
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 times in 1,702 posts

Default Re: I was hoping to find somebody well-versed in the interpretation of hermetic or alchemical art on this board. Surprise me!

Quote Posted by Sierra (here)
    Books of Hermetics i recommend are

The Kybalion
    The Emerald Tablet
    The Great Pymander
    ( in that order )

The Kybalion will set you up with the laws of our logos, it would be wise to know these first. The Emerald Tablet will introduce you to the sacred language , meaning it will challenge you to "think" ... Once you have a feeling for that then read the Great Pymander ( bring head ache tablets ) .

I once read a sentence in the Great Pymander , containing 12 words, repeatedly for 2 hours and every time i read it it had a different meaning. Its language is absolute intelligence.

Naniu
    Nanoo, I really want to see this sentence. .

do you have access so you may quote it to us?

Thanks, Sierra
    I am reading through it now to find it .. but the head is spinning from the words .. its a heavy read.

I will try to find it and will quote it here for us to enjoy. This was in the second book i believe when the Great Pymander spoke to Ter Maximus ( hermes ) . . .

I was in a deep meditative state when i read it , which made me dive right into its contexts and meanings..

hmmm

leave it with me

Naniu

4. Link to Post #23
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Soulboy (here)
    Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome and for the great info.

I have read parts of the Kybalion, but it's not exactly something you'd read while waiting for the bus and I used to be a very busy man in the hamster wheel that looked like a career ladder from the inside, so greatly enjoy to have more time for self-development, reading, music, sports and other much more worthwhile things.

I have listened to some lectures by Manly P. Hall on astrotheology, Atlantis and other things a few months ago. Very well read man, but his songs of praise to Lucifer are not something I am too fond of, personally, so not sure if I'll ever get round to reading him proper.

I understand it's a long path to really understand Hermeticism, which is why I came here for a kind of short-cut preview on just a few image interpretations.

Many believe that the great work occurs only in the philosophers head upon meditation on Hermes' mysteries and teachings, which I think may actually be the case. Although I once read about a Swiss chap who was on live TV with a scientific panel watching his every move, transforming mercury into gold. Can't remember the name and it must have been in the 70s or 80s or sth. The only problem from a financial gain point of view was that the ingredients required for the process cost more than to actuallly buy the gold, haha, but that is not the point to a person like that, OBVIOUSLY!

Hermes always managed to catch my interest and the Kybalion is fascinating. I will get back to that at some point, I'm certain of it. The emerald tablets also currently enjoy a fairly good priority rating on my reading list...

thanks for offering me the chance to ask you questions. That is very nice and I'm sure I will make use of it at some point.

I feel somewhat dwarfed knowledge-wise by some of your replies I received to this thread already. Great to have such knowledgeable people to ask.

Wow, what a place this forum is What took me so long to find here...
    All Hermes is doing is " Stating " that which is already within us. If we know our selves , then the works of Hermes, what he represents and stood for , will spring to you like a second nature. This is something i realised a little while ago.. when you know good , and good is in your heart the words and knowledge are within you and they prompt themselves at the right moments as you live the good life.

When you are in service to fellow man then the works are in your every day.

Manly P Hall is one of my favorites. The lucifer and Christ opposition in lore is confusing however have we ever seen a depiction of Lucifer ? is there a church that edifies this entity with a statue ? no ... however we are covered with the images of Christ and he is remembered by hanging dead on a cross. I have no propencity to either but i wanted to point out something interesting thats been going on for so long.

I try not to label things i do not fully understand or judge but why is it that our saviour is remembered symbolically as being crucified ? Yes we know of his sufferance and sacrifice but the crucifiction angle does not rub well with me. perhap s ill understand it one day. Ironically the very people who crucified him made a church around this happening depicting him being crucified. That in its self should get people to err on the side of caution bowing to such idols.

Hermes wrote the pure word of God and it is there to see. To read " interpretations " of this work would lose the meaning.

If you are looking for short cuts to interpret these images then you would be wise to meditate on them without thought and let them speak to you. Eventually your mind will make the connection when you are in the right mode.

The truth to everything is inside us. we do not need to look out there.

Naniu

5. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member seeker/reader's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 times in 540 posts

-----------------
    Last edited by seeker/reader; 31st July 2013 at 12:32.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seeker/reader For This Post:

AwakeInADream (3rd June 2013), nomadguy (5th June 2013), Soulboy (3rd June 2013)

7. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 times in 812 posts

I am certainly not well-versed in this subject however I had been researching it.
    Some of the imagery presented is in line with the works of Robert Fludd.

In more than one of the images appears the visual of what some call the cosmic mirror.
    "As above so below"
    ~
    Thanks for posting this it opens a few more doors, a few new paths exposed.

- link
    - link
    Why not now?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nomadguy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (3rd June 2013), chocolate (6th June 2013), seeker/reader (3rd June 2013), Soulboy (3rd June 2013)

9. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Quote Posted by seeker/reader (here)

Mylius Opus Medico Chemicum 1618:
    using google translate from latin to english gave the following:

arbo vitae = The tree of life

emblema I = emblematic 1

auri potabilis chimicae praeparati = chemical preparation of drinkable gold

I am guessing the person in orange holding the caduceus is Hermes. He may be the one making the drinkable gold.

We see the female moon figure and the male sun figure which probably represent the silver and golden gates (gates of descent and ascent).

We see Corvus the crow and Cygnus the swan, but this time we also see Pavo the peacock constellation. All are constellations below the ecliptic which may represent incarnation on the earthly plane.

There are also the planetary signs of Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury and the Moon in the leaves of the tree of life. So this may represent the descent of the soul, through the planetary spheres to be incarnated via the tree of life.

So I think this is another representation of the soul's descent through the silver gate, and the seven planets to incarnate via the tree of life on Earth.

Maybe Hermes' golden drink (knowledge??/awakening??) is the "key" to opening the golden gate so the soul can ascend.
    • The caduceus also represents DNA and transmutation to divine man.
    • The women and the man illuminated by the sun and moon, have their lower nature under control, represented by the leashed lions walking by their sides.
    • I notice all the figures and animals are under the sway or affected by the twelve rays of light/energy/consciousness/patterning of the astrological houses, except for the woman under the tree who seems to be free of all influences, extending something to the man and woman on the lower right.
    • The animals on the left are also affected by the incoming rays, showing all of creation is made of the same substance and capable of transmutation as well.
    • There are alchemical substances listed with their planets of influence on the wheel in the center, below the One light and fire of creation, the mind of God, pointed to as the highest goal by the angels above the wheel.
    • The Phoenix on the left has been reborn.
    • There is an un ending flight of birds on the right, above the pyramids, as one takes flight, a new one is born.

All just my opinionated observations.

Sierra
    Last edited by Sierra; 3rd June 2013 at 05:47.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

AwakeInADream (3rd June 2013), seeker/reader (3rd June 2013), Soulboy (3rd June 2013), spiritwind (3rd June 2013), Tracie (Bodhicee) (16th May 2022), william r sanford72 (6th June 2013)

11. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Maybe Hermes' golden drink (knowledge??/awakening??) is the "key" to opening the golden gate so the soul can ascend.
    To my knowledge gold symbolises consciousness, silver denotes deception. Interestingly, the new pope's ring is a silver ring coated in gold. We're told that he's too down to earth for a pure gold ring. What a humble man
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 3rd June 2013 at 09:59. Reason: fix quoting

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (3rd June 2013), seeker/reader (3rd June 2013), Sierra (3rd June 2013)

13. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Manly P Hall is one of my favorites. The lucifer and Christ opposition in lore is confusing however have we ever seen a depiction of Lucifer ? is there a church that edifies this entity with a statue ? no ... however we are covered with the images of Christ and he is remembered by hanging dead on a cross. I have no propencity to either but i wanted to point out something interesting thats been going on for so long.

I try not to label things i do not fully understand or judge but why is it that our saviour is remembered symbolically as being crucified ? Yes we know of his sufferance and sacrifice but the crucifiction angle does not rub well with me. perhap s ill understand it one day. Ironically the very people who crucified him made a church around this happening depicting him being crucified. That in its self should get people to err on the side of caution bowing to such idols.

Naniu
    It may seem ironic to remember Christ hanging on the cross, (and I'm no bible basher, believe me) but it makes sense for an institution that does not really adhere to the values ascribed to this figure to worship him depicted in the process of dying or having been executed. That is quite symbolic, really... It could be interpreted as mockery
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 3rd June 2013 at 09:59. Reason: fix quoting

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (3rd June 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (5th June 2013), Sierra (3rd June 2013)

15. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Member seeker/reader's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 times in 540 posts

-------------------
    Last edited by seeker/reader; 31st July 2013 at 12:31.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seeker/reader For This Post:

AwakeInADream (3rd June 2013), Sierra (3rd June 2013)

17. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

Soulboy,

Can you see more detail on the images from the book than what is shown online?
    I can't right now, sorry. Like I said, the book is somewhere in a moving box and the pics are all A5 format only. I think I have an A4 print by some artist who sells them online flying around, but that's even harder to locate at the moment. Once I have moved, I'll have a dig around for it, which may be a month or so still. I'll let you know when the time has come

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (3rd June 2013), seeker/reader (3rd June 2013), Sierra (3rd June 2013)

19. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

It may seem ironic to remember Christ hanging on the cross, (and I'm no bible basher, believe me) but it makes sense for an institution that does not really adhere to the values ascribed to this figure to worship him depicted in the process of dying or having been executed. That is quite symbolic, really... It could be interpreted as mockery
    Nanoo, Soulboy, I was thinking about this last night as well. The cross is an ancient symbol, representing the intersection of the earthly and the divine, also the place where these energies meet in man, the heart chakra.

It is not the only cross symbol to be corrupted, think of the moving rotating cross symbol, the radiating heart of divine fire, used by the Nazis. Both of these symbols represent death and terror now.

Sierra (no basher either lol)

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

AwakeInADream (3rd June 2013), Nanoo Nanoo (5th June 2013), Soulboy (3rd June 2013), william r sanford72 (6th June 2013)

21. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

I always thought that the symbol the Nazis used (and apparently still use on the new 5 Euro note (along with Draghi's pre-school style signature), photo below and sorry for going off-topic here) came from Ancient India and meant something like the sun wheel and that its legs (usually turned in the opposite direction back then imo) meant to symbolise the motion of the sun across the sky. It can be found on all manner of ancient temples around the world (Hindu, Buddhist, Roman, etc. as this guy likes to go on about: http://www.richardcassaro.com/the-an...-race-p-1-of-2 ) I have never heard about what you wrote there, but will look into it. Thanks

It's too large to post here, but click and view in actual size:

http://qpress.de/wp-content/uploads/..._72dpi1-01.jpg

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (3rd June 2013), seeker/reader (3rd June 2013), Sierra (17th June 2013), william r sanford72 (6th June 2013)

23. Link to Post #33
    Sao Tome Unsubscribed
    Thanks

It is true that the naughty ones will infiltrate all that is good and change it to confuse the average man. The one who is to know them self is not to be tricked by such games.

So it is written in the Great Pymander , man must him self ( or her self for those who do not know that man is a non gender specific term and is referred to in the masculine as this represents the sun male as opposed to the female moon ) know well , more than anything of this earth.

In this is imo a most important tennet of the faith. Hermes has alwasy taught me to know my self well as will come the falce to slowly errode your identity.. if you KNOW who you are then the falceness of the world will not move you away from your true path and faith. When you know your self well , temptation will not move you .. well not as easily , but there are many temptations.. this does not mean not to enjoy life , on the contrary , but in the good faith of Hermes with every joy is inbuilt the joy of others. Meaning when we do something from the heart it has the benefit of your family and friends embedded in it , and enriching their lives as well.

This abounds the joy of such things and makes it good.

Then you will have joy in your heart : 0 )

And free hugs and ice cream for all to enjoy ( ok i added that bit )

Woo Hoo!

N
    N

24. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,913 times in 540 posts

There was a complete description of that first image in Manly P Hall's book, but it wasn't in the online version because it was under the picture itself in the centre of the printed book, but I did manage to find it written elsewhere online(which saved me writing it out myself). So I'll cut and paste it here:

"“The Grand Rosicrucian Alchemical Formula”
    “In the heavens and surrounded by both an outer and an inner aureole and by hierarchies of celestial beings are the radiant symbols of the Holy Trinity: (the father?), the Lamb (the Son) and the Dove (the Holy Ghost). The respective dignities of the heavenly host are determined by the number and arrangement of their wings. The glory of the Godhead and the invisible world is concealed from the inferior creation partly by a line and partly by the circle of the starry heavens, itself obscured by clouds. Five birds—a crow (Saturn, lead); a swan (Jupiter, tin); a cock (Mars, iron); a pelican (Venus, copper); and the pheonix (Mercury, quicksilver)—occupy the half circle directly within the band of the starry heavens. The upper half of the blue circle containing the five planetary signs is occupied by the zodiacal signs. In the green circle appear the words: “The solar year, the stellar year, and the year of winds”; in the yellow circle, “The mercury of the sages, corporeal mercury, and common, or visible mercury”; in the orange circle, “Combustible sulphur, fixed sulpur, and volatile, or ethereal sulphur”; in the red circle, “Elementary salt, earthly salt, and central salt”; and in the violet circle, “Four kinds of fire are requisite for the work.” The white central triangle contains the figure of the solar mercury.
    The entire upper section of the plate is an esoteric diagram of the constitution of the threefold spiritual sun. In the lower foreground is a hill upon which grow a number of trees, each bearing the symbol of an alchemical substance. (For details consult Basil Valentine’s table of alchemical symbols.) At the lower right and represented by a nocturnal scene is the inferior world, while at the lower left and represented by a diurnal scene is the superior world. Thus water is symbolized by the right side of the plate and fire by the left side. Under the wings of the phoenix are two circles containing the symbols of fire and air; under the wings of the eagle are two other circles containing the symbols of earth and water. The human figures, one male and the other female, both attached to the superior world by a golden chain and bearing upon their bodies the symbols of the creative forces, stand for the divine (male) and human (female) principles in every creature. The spirit and will are represented by a lion rampant; the soul and intuition by a deer with twelve lights or stars upon its horns and bearing a trifoliate leaf symbolic of the threefold division of all natural things.
    In the center of the picture is the figure of philosophic equilibrium and the accomplishment of the magnum opus. The double-bodied lion emphasizes to the initiated the necessity for the final union of all diversified parts; also that light and darkness (symbols of all natural opposites) are two bodies with a single head. Upon this strange creature which he has fabricated by his art and which symbolizes the reconciliation of apparently irreconcilable elements, stands the alchemistic philosopher. The stars upon his robe reveal the luminous nature of the purified and regenerated adept, and with the maces (the illumined intellect) he destroys the illusion of light and darkness and uniting the various scattered parts of the cosmos, fashions therefrom the philosophic androgyne. In the Hermetic Museum this plate is accompanied by the following quotation:
    “By the word of the Lord were the heavens established, and their hosts by the breath of His mouth. The spirit of the Lord hath filled the world. All things are satisfied with They goodness, O Lord. Thou turnest away They face, they are troubled. Thou turnest away Thy Spirit, they die and return again to their dust. Thy sendest forth Thy Spirit and they are created, and renewest the face of the earth. Thy glory is for everlasting.”
    In the Hermetic Museum a free rendering of the Emerald Table of Hermes (q.v.) is also annexed to this plate.
    Only by profound contemplation and familiarity with the principles of mediaeval alchemy may the true spirit of chemical mysticism be discovered. In the above plate is set forth the complete key to the regeneration of the metals, the transmutation of earthliness into celestial splendor, and the mystery of generation which has been so sadly and ignorantly misinterpreted by the sciolists of the twentieth century.”
    -“The Secret Teachings of All Ages,” Manly P. Hall."

It looks to me like it's water pouring out of the lions mouth, flowing into a river. I think this picture may be clearer:

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AwakeInADream For This Post:

seeker/reader (6th June 2013), Sierra (17th June 2013), Soulboy (6th June 2013)

26. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,984 times in 463 posts

Quote I am guessing the person in orange holding the caduceus is Hermes. He may be the one making the drinkable gold.

We see the female moon figure and the male sun figure which probably represent the silver and golden gates (gates of descent and ascent).
    This is a pictoral representation of the Alchemical maxim: The Great work is achieved through the Sun and the Moon with the aid of Mercury (Hermes)

Quote To my knowledge gold symbolises consciousness, silver denotes deception
    Gold is the metal of the Sun, Silver that of the Moon. The Great work transmutes the lead of Earth to the Gold of the Sun.

Quote It may seem ironic to remember Christ hanging on the cross, (and I'm no bible basher, believe me) but it makes sense for an institution that does not really adhere to the values ascribed to this figure to worship him depicted in the process of dying or having been executed.
    Many creation mythologies involve the creation of the Universe through the dismemberment of a cosmic Man, such as Adam Kardmon. Christ on the cross is another version of this archetype. It probably explains the currrent fascination with global apocalypse , 2012ism and ascensionism. Playing out that same archetype that through destruction a new higher creation is achieved. the Phoenix features heavily in these alchemical images. Thanks for the thread!!

Quote Posted by AwakeInADream (here)
    It looks to me like it's water pouring out of the lions mouth, flowing into a river. I think this picture may be clearer:

Yes it is water coming out of the lion's mouth. It is similar to the Temperance card in Tarot where the angel is pouring water on Leo the Lion (fire). It is the union of the opposites as represented by the costume of the alchemist standing behind the lion

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

AwakeInADream (6th June 2013), seeker/reader (6th June 2013), Sierra (17th June 2013), Soulboy (6th June 2013)

28. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

The philosopher's bathrobe sort of reminds me of this picture here:

Excellent addition to the explanation, both of you. THANKS A LOT!
    Last edited by Soulboy; 6th June 2013 at 15:37.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (6th June 2013), seeker/reader (6th June 2013)

30. Link to Post #37
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,169 times in 1,448 posts

I also want to add that the great work of alchemy (the transmutation of lead into gold) can be also interpreted as the great work of the personal transformation- the creating of the "chryst" consciousness in man. The lead as the material world to become the gold- as the spiritual world. I want to add to everything written before me that the image illustrates the importance of the process of creation and that this process is sacred and should be performed as a sacred act through which the "chryst" consciousness, or divinity can be obtained. It is believed that the sexual force (the union between the polarities- male and female) is the most powerful force in the world and only those who have gained control over it become divine.

In the light of a paper I just read, it is stated that gold can be created as a mono-atomic gold, and the latter is observed as a formula that could be giving everlasting life and wisdom. From the earth (or lead or iron or other metal for that matter) through a sequence of heating and cooling in certain time frames can be created paladium, iridium and finally- mono-atomic gold. It is also mentioned that the arc of the covenant (same one from the bible) could have been that instrument making this process possible in the ancient past. Gold is also proven as a superconductor and is believed that in the human brain exists a white! substance, especially in spiritually oriented people who meditate, with some superconductor qualities to it...

As I read in one of the several places I tend to go back to for inspiration, every symbol or group of symbols can be interpreted in at least seven! different ways and any of the explanations would be valid.

This is a really vast topic, but since it has interested me a lot, decided to share some of my thoughts.

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chocolate For This Post:

AwakeInADream (6th June 2013), lookbeyond (7th June 2013), Sierra (17th June 2013), Soulboy (6th June 2013), ThePythonicCow (6th June 2013)

32. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

[QUOTE=leavesoftrees;683751]
    Quote To my knowledge gold symbolises consciousness, silver denotes deception
    Gold is the metal of the Sun, Silver that of the Moon. The Great work transmutes the lead of Earth to the Gold of the Sun.

I just did another little search and found references to gold symbolising spirituality and: "From a negative aspect, silver can be indecisive and non-committal, dull and lifeless in a colorless world, neutral, cold and insincere. It can be deceptive and two-faced."

That is even worse than what I originally wrote

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soulboy For This Post:

AwakeInADream (7th June 2013), Sierra (17th June 2013)

34. Link to Post #39
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,984 times in 463 posts

I just did another little search and found references to gold symbolising spirituality and: "From a negative aspect, silver can be indecisive and non-committal, dull and lifeless in a colorless world, neutral, cold and insincere. It can be deceptive and two-faced."

That is even worse than what I originally wrote
    It's always good to verify an interpretation through meditation, and check with your own Inner Teacher to see if it feels correct. The above qualities are connected to the Moon, principally because the Moon waxes and wanes. However as the alchemical illustrations you posted emphasise, we live in a dualistic world - so each thing in this world of name and form has its positive and negative aspects. The above interpretation of silver seems to be focused on its negative, shadow side. Can you think of the positive aspects and qualities of silver?

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leavesoftrees For This Post:

AwakeInADream (7th June 2013), chocolate (7th June 2013), Sierra (17th June 2013)

36. Link to Post #40
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Hi all,

my first own thread here on this forum:

Some 12 years or so I bought a picture book entitled 'The Hermetic Museum'. In it, as the title suggests are hundreds of pictures of medieval paintings laden with hermetic/ alchemical symbology. I was hoping fo find somebody here who understands the symbology and could provide an explanation for a few of them.

This is the book:

It was harder than I thought to find some hi-res pictures of the art depicted in the book, so this is the best I could come up with. My copy of the book is in a moving box at the moment as I'm in between house moves, so I can't upload anything myself right now. Some paintings within the book that I suspect could be of interest are these:

Tabula Smaragdina (The Emerald Tablet)

Flammarion - l'atmosphere

I get that it is the red cloak of the magi and perhaps that he is looking at a world outside of the cosmo-conception of the time or trying to understand the inner workings of the universe, but that is where it ends for me

Mylius Opus Medico Chemicum 1618:

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/filesKHiP8eEE8NKBgj73nmWfBVVPZkvGxvG5A*GwRUJMUkGjDeTx63w5OSQCv-eUQMmFvJXwv6FCFMijMB9EpxXE3T207sC48XwH/amcl16.jpg[/IMG]

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on what these could mean.
    I've been wanting to reply to this thread but forgot!
    These pictures are really fascinating, and like you, I've wondered a lot about the meanings of some of these strange symbols!

Right now, I wanted to tell you, the one on the bottom with the cupola and the sun wheen built into the garden,
    reminds me of Tommaso Campanella's book "Civitas Solis", or "City of the Sun".
    The utopian metropolis in his book is usually depicted as a huge architectural sun wheel like the picture above.
    Christ is actually pictured in your version, standing in the center of the wheel-shaped garden.
    It seems that after Constantinople and all of that was established, Christ became somewhat synonymous with the Sun and the cross and the sun are often found together in medieval art. I don't know if that constituted a heretical belief or if it was also popular with Catholicism.
    I can't help but notice that the men surrounding Christ in the garden utopia are decked in the 4 Alchemical colors, Black White Red and Gold.
    The young woman entering the garden is wearing green, which to me symbolizes youth and innocence. Red and white flowers adorn the walls of the garden.
    On the far right of the garden, outside the grassy area, you can see the "anchorites" gazing upward at the top of the cupola.
    In many similar depictions the anchorite would be staring up at a Bell on top of the tower, and the bell is actuated by the hand of God.
    I am not sure what the bell stands for, maybe time or order? The early freemasons and priory of Sion used the bell as a symbol along with the Eastern Star.
    In fact if you google tommaso campanella's picture, you could find an engraving with a bell over his head, depicting the eastern star.
    I am not sure if the eastern star really stands for venus or the sun, but venus is an important symbol for Mary in some offshoots of christian mysticism.
    the triangle is shown in your image above the door arch, much similar to the other picture you've got where the sun and moon figures are approaching the crypt with a triangle on top.
    The triangle was an important symbol to the masons and mystics as well. I am not really sure what it all means, lol. but they use it to represent their hermetical sciences, imo.
    the two pillars on either side of the archway might symbolize Boaz and Joachin, which were the two pillars that supported and adorned Solomon's temple.
    they were encased in brilliant metal and really "popped".
    the tarot often depicts the "High Priestess" figure (major arcana?) as sitting between these two pillars, holding the scroll of the law (Torah).
    She represents truth, wisdom, fertility, etc. -- and justice. there are a lot of meanings assigned to her and to the pillars.
    Wisdom sits between the things that are and the things that are not, after all, and we use it to navigate peril.

the picture second from the bottom is a reference of some kind to the Tree of Life, which I think the banner on the tree says.
    you can see Zodiacal and chemical symbols on the crown of the tree.
    the peacock on the left might represent Lucifer, actually. he appears to be instructing the white bird standing in front of him.
    the two sun and moon figures might represent the mystery of alchemy, the "marriage of the sun and the moon".
    around the cloud halo above the tree there are references to the elements.
    to me this picture says something about the philosopher's stone and eternal life.
    in the clouds above it all I believe is depicted the 'Tetragrammaton', or "Jahweh", in Hebrew characters. the Holy Name.

the man sticking his head outside the "normally seen spheres of existence" is a prophet. he is divining the future with the help of the stars.
    his head, or intelligence, occupies a space not often understood or navigated by normal people.
    the wheel within a wheel to his left is a reference to the visions of the prophet Ezekiel.
    Ezekiel is a central figure in merkavah, or Merkabah mysticism, where the worshippers enter a trance inspired by holy images such as the ones we are viewing right now.
    The objective of this was to obtain visions of the Throne and Chariot of God via astral projection.
    Prophets sought the literal reality of the presence of God through their efforts.

the emerald tablet picture is a mystery to me.
    i can see the tetragrammaton, the spheres,
    the lamb of God, eagles and lions.

i don't really understand the significance of portraying the planets and other heavenly bodies as trees in a garden,
    but to people who believe in life on other planets, this could be an interesting picture.
    the trees could simply be a reference to the seasons heralded by the movement of the heavenly bodies, though.
    you can sort of see the marriage of the sun and the moon theme in this image, but i don't know who the stag is (Cernunnos?), the man in the starry robe, or the two bodied lion.
    the chimera lion might symbolize the unity achieved through alchemy.
    living water comes out of his mouth into a stream beneath the man in the starry robes. I think the man in the robes references Christ carrying the weapon made of 7 stars.
    you can also, once again, see references to the elements and in this picture, also a reference to night and day.

I really like your thread! i need to read what the others wrote but wanted to give you my first impression.
    Last edited by Tesla_WTC_Solution; 16th June 2013 at 18:44.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast