+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast

Thread: The Mothman Prophecies

1. Link to Post #21

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MariaDine For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), Flowerpunkchip (11th July 2013), jagman (11th July 2013), Mike (11th July 2013), Reinhard (14th July 2013), Sérénité (11th July 2013), shadowstalker (11th July 2013)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,559 times in 5,713 posts

Default Re: The Mothman Prophecies

Quote Posted by 161803398 (here)
    The one alien abduction story I found interesting was from Australia I believe. It was one where two different groups of people, one on a plateau, and one beneath the plateau saw the same thing. What is was was Mothmen landing in a ship of some kind and flying over toward the group of people on the plateau. One of the women in the target group got so scared she kneeled down and started to pray "Our father, who art in heaven etc". When the Mothmen landed on the plateau the woman's husband said to one of the Mothmen "don't hurt her". He reported that the Mothman replied laughing "I will not hurt her, she is my daughter". I don't know if that story is real or not but apparently it was unusual because two separte groups of people had seen it.

Ha! This is perfect! Its perfectly consistent with the bizarre nature of the Mothman.

High Strangeness Folks!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), jagman (11th July 2013)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), jagman (11th July 2013)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Justintime's Avatar
    Thanks

"Remember being in elementary school, right before recess? The teacher opens the door and the kids go running outside...well that's how I envision this phenomenon: a portal from another dimension opens, and spiritually immature and sometimes malevolent beings swarm thru for playtime - open season on the human race."

This reminds me of the movie, "The Cabin in the Woods," when every monster imaginable comes out at the end of the movie and just starts tearing people to pieces.
    After the First World War there is No Other.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justintime For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), jagman (11th July 2013), Mike (11th July 2013), Sérénité (11th July 2013)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 times in 744 posts

Another thread just posted a picture of a great moth that crossed someone's path. You people better stay on alert. I had a frightening experience once in this vein and from time to time I wonder if there is a connection to the Mothman. I have not read the book.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tesseract For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), ghostrider (11th July 2013), jagman (11th July 2013), Mike (11th July 2013)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

What is up with aliens and blood? "Two points confounding experts have been the absence of blood and footprints," The Kansas City Times reported, December 22nd, 1973. "Even on the warmest days with the carcass freshly killed there has been no bleeding on or around the animal. Some believed the cattle were drained of blood. No human tracts have been detected near the mutilation even in fresh snow. " 58
    Then the author discusses the case of the UFO that tried to abduct a blood mobile. Just bizarre.
    Then we examine our history. The God of the Bible demanding blood sacrifice for sins. The Mayans and Aztecs practicing ritualistic murders for religious purposes and their priests practicing bloodletting as a form of devotion, appeasement to their gods? Blood was said to be the food of the gods/aliens/WTF do we call these things.
    So what is it with blood and these beings and couldn't they just clone us and start a blood bank or do the prefer free range/humanely raised humans and animals for their sustenance?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justintime For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), jagman (11th July 2013), Mike (11th July 2013)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Justintime (here)
    What is up with aliens and blood? "Two points confounding experts have been the absence of blood and footprints," The Kansas City Times reported, December 22nd, 1973. "Even on the warmest days with the carcass freshly killed there has been no bleeding on or around the animal. Some believed the cattle were drained of blood. No human tracts have been detected near the mutilation even in fresh snow. " 58
    Then the author discusses the case of the UFO that tried to abduct a blood mobile. Just bizarre.
    Then we examine our history. The God of the Bible demanding blood sacrifice for sins. The Mayans and Aztecs practicing ritualistic murders for religious purposes and their priests practicing bloodletting as a form of devotion, appeasement to their gods? Blood was said to be the food of the gods/aliens/WTF do we call these things.
    So what is it with blood and these beings and couldn't they just clone us and start a blood bank or do the prefer free range/humanely raised humans and animals for their sustenance?

Curious connections my friend.

Holy sh!t, that red cross blood mobile story is one for the ages, isn't it?

The popular theory is that these otherdimensionals need our blood to "hold form" in our 3d reality. It sounds right, and maybe is, but its a little too popular a theory for my tastes. Something tells me there's more than that...

Of course we've all heard of cattle mutilations, but the uniqueness of this story is that several almost cliche phenomena are all occurring at one time and in one place - Point Pleasant, West Virginia: UFO's, men in black, mothman, cattle mutilation, and so on.

One can't help but think the universe was playing a mischievous trick on these poor people.

P.s. its thought that these beings also possess a bizarre meta-logic, sometimes doing things to create a certain theory...ie trying to abduct a blood mobile to give the impression that they are after blood. Why they do it is anyone's guess, but it went on quite a bit with Keel, only in reverse: Whenever he formulated a theory about them, they mimicked it. It was all sort of a sick game...
    Last edited by Mike; 11th July 2013 at 04:42.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013)

15. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

strangely , when the mothman comes on the scene, death and tragedy follows shortly after... maybe this is a warning, in a hidden way ...

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Chinaski (here)

Curious connections my friend.

Holy sh!t, that red cross blood mobile story is one for the ages, isn't it?

The popular theory is that these otherdimensionals need our blood to "hold form" in our 3d reality. It sounds right, and maybe is, but its a little too popular a theory for my tastes. Something tells me there's more than that...

Of course we've all heard of cattle mutilations, but the uniqueness of this story is that several almost cliche phenomena are all occurring at one time and in one place - Point Pleasant, West Virginia: UFO's, men in black, mothman, cattle mutilation, and so on.

One can't help but I think the universe was playing a mischievous trick on these poor people.
    the ancients have said- the life of the flesh is in the blood ... so if you capture the blood do you capture the spirit of a person or an animal ???
    Last edited by ghostrider; 11th July 2013 at 04:03.
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), jagman (11th July 2013), Mike (11th July 2013), Rosco1 (28th July 2021)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Another interesting note: some of the plates from the so-called men in black were written down, and when checked against a data base did not exist as registered.

Also, Keel said he had a realization that this was "folklore in the making". All the events occurring in the same place and same time was so conspicuous, the men in black too generic (with their awkward threats and demanding secrecy), the silly lights in the sky bobbing around purposelessly, almost mockingly..with it all culminating in the collapse of the Silver Bridge...it almost seemed *contrived*, as if this otherworldly drama was being executed and played to create, as he said, "folklore", and also to burn itself into the DNA of those involved and all those who would hear about it later.....to impress a sort of psychic imprint on the culture.

For what purpose? Who knows?
    Last edited by Mike; 11th July 2013 at 05:10.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

IDK, the blood thing is very strange to me, also, The Greeks believed that the shadows in Hades needed blood to communicate with the living. Our blood does have everything you need to recreate the person or animal so in a way to capture the blood is to capture the spirit since you can reproduce it ad nauseam throughout the ages if its preserved. I've also thought that there is a strange element of vampirism in The Old and New Testament. Our world truly is strange.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justintime For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), Mike (11th July 2013), Rosco1 (28th July 2021)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

Another interesting note: some of the plates from the so-called men in black were written down, and when checked against a data base did not exist as registered.

Also, Keel said he had a realization that this was "folklore in the making". All the events occurring in the same place and same time was so conspicuous, the men in black too generic (with their awkward threats and demanding secrecy), the silly lights in the sky bobbing around purposely, almost mockingly..with it all culminating in the collapse of the Silver Bridge...it almost seemed *contrived*, as if this otherworldly drama was being executed and played to create, as he said, "folklore", and also to burn itself into the DNA of those involved and all those who would hear about it later.....to create a sort of psychic imprint on the culture.

For what purpose? Who knows?
    This reminds me of Carl Jung's theory of archetypes.

The term "archetype" has its origins in ancient Greek. The root words are archein, which means "original or old"; and typos, which means "pattern, model or type". The combined meaning is an "original pattern" of which all other similar persons, objects, or concepts are derived, copied, modeled, or emulated.

The psychologist, Carl Gustav Jung, used the concept of archetype in his theory of the human psyche. He believed that universal, mythic characters—archetypes—reside within the collective unconscious of people the world over. Archetypes represent fundamental human motifs of our experience as we evolved; consequentially, they evoke deep emotions.

Although there are many different archetypes, Jung defined twelve primary types that symbolize basic human motivations. Each type has its own set of values, meanings and personality traits. Also, the twelve types are divided into three sets of four, namely Ego, Soul and Self. The types in each set share a common driving source, for example types within the Ego set are driven to fulfill ego-defined agendas.

Most, if not all, people have several archetypes at play in their personality construct; however, one archetype tends to dominate the personality in general. It can be helpful to know which archetypes are at play in oneself and others, especially loved ones, friends and co-workers, in order to gain personal insight into behaviors and motivations.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justintime For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), Gardener (11th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), Mike (11th July 2013), Reinhard (14th July 2013)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Indeed Sir. The thought of archetypes had occurred to me as well.....

But why, I wonder, are these themes, or archetypes, being perpetuated by these strange beings? Hmmmm...

Towards the end of the book, Keel is talking to one of the otherdimensionals on the phone, and the thing is curiously impatient and ornery, and confesses to being trapped in our space/time, recreating dramas and archetypes for as long as it takes to suck up suffient negative energy to meet its threshold...and then repeat the pattern. When asked why, the entity confessed to having nothing else to do! It was entertainment!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), Justintime (11th July 2013)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

So, one purpose of this, "folklore in the making, " would be to burn it into our collective unconsciousness. So from now on when the human brain experiences this unknown phenomena it will be interpreted by the brain to register as part of the archetype. The old archetype of experiencing this unknown stimuli as, "witches on broomsticks," "the devil," or "fairies" has been replaced with the new archetype of aliens, UFO, MIB etc.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

But why, I wonder, are these themes, or archetypes, being perpetuated by these strange beings? Hmmmm...

Towards the end of the book, Keel is talking to one of the otherdimensionals on the phone, and the thing is curiously impatient and ornery, and confesses to being trapped in our space/time, recreating dramas and archetypes for as long as it takes to suck up suffient negative energy to meet its threshold...and then repeat the pattern. When asked why, the entity confessed to having nothing else to do! It was entertainment!
    Hmmm, I haven't gotten that far in the book, but that is creepy and makes sense. One of the universes original sins in my opinion, not disobedience, but boredom.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justintime For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), Mike (11th July 2013)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

So, one purpose of this, "folklore in the making, " would be to burn it into our collective unconsciousness. So from now on when the human brain experiences this unknown phenomena it will be interpreted by the brain to register as part of the archetype. The old archetype of experiencing this unknown stimuli as, "witches on broomsticks," "the devil," or "fairies" has been replaced with the new archetype of aliens, UFO, MIB etc.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Hmmm, I haven't gotten that far in the book, but that is creepy and makes sense. One of the universes original sins in my opinion, not disobedience, but boredom.

Precisely.

But for what purpose, I wonder? What's it matter if we interpret it as witches or UFO's? Someone or something has an interest in perpetuating this myth, and I wonder why?

And Keel does believe its all a myth, or myth-like I should say. Its not the manifestation of the phenomena that interests him, its the phenomena (source) itself. In other words, UFO's, mothman, bigfoot etc - all malleable vibrational patterns that mold themselves to the cultures expectations.

He goes so far as to say UFO's, as we normally regard them (visitors from other planets) don't really exist, and what we interpret as UFO's - this mysterious malleable phenomena or force - is a normal condition of the planet and has been here since the inception of the earth. This is where I diverge from him a little, but I like where his head is at....outside the box.
    Last edited by Mike; 11th July 2013 at 06:00.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), Justintime (11th July 2013)

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

You hit it on the head man. I can envision the bumper sticker now: boredom, not just a human condition.

I mentioned this on another thread, and basically what I was saying was this: we want so badly to attribute meaning to these types of events...but if we found out the truth regarding *some* of them, I think we'd be tragically disappointed. Bored otherdimensionals just isn't a very sexy explanation

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), jagman (11th July 2013), Justintime (11th July 2013)

31. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

You hit it on the head man. I can envision the bumper sticker now: boredom, not just a human condition.

I mentioned this on another thread, and basically what I was saying was this: we want so badly to attribute meaning to these types of events...but if we found out the truth regarding *some* of them, I think we'd be tragically disappointed. Bored otherdimensionals just isn't a very sexy explanation
    Yeah, what would we think as a species if we found a planet whose most intelligent species was the equivalent of our two, three and four year olds? . How much fun would that planet be to mess with? I have a four year old and honestly I love messing with him. He asked me the other day why the sky was angry, it was a bad thunderstorm. Anyways, I told him that its angry because someone stole its toys. We were outside looking at the storm and he says,"daddy, is the thunder going to get us," I told him that the thunder knows that we didn't steal its toys and its going after our neighbors, because they did. A few days later we were outside again and it was starting to storm, and he goes,"Mr. Sky is mad again because someone stole his toys"

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justintime For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), Flowerpunkchip (11th July 2013), Mike (11th July 2013)

33. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member jagman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,322 times in 1,900 posts

I've seen a documentary on the Mothman Prophecies.I have not read
    the book by Mr. Keel but if it's only 3 and half hours
    of reading time, I'm in. My gut feeling tells me that this Indrid Cold
    is a powerful demonic entity.
    My reasoning for saying that it's demonic is, He (Indrid Cold) displays all the characteristics
    of a demon. He likes to cause havoc and destruction.
    He likes terrorizing human's. He is a trickster and tells half truths.
    There is a Hierarchy among Angels like so there is also a Hierarchy among Demons.
    My best guess is, he is probably in the upper echelon of demons.
    Although my opinion may change after I read the book.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jagman For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), Mike (11th July 2013)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks

I think you're right Jags...

Woodrow Derenberger was the first (and only, I think) person in Point Pleasant to have a running dialogue with "Indrid Cold". He was superficially kind to Derenberger, but would involve him in a bunch of odd scenarios. For example: he would cause him to get sick....and then later offer him a curative agent, like a pill. He allowed Derenberger to get roughed up n robbed by malevolent otherdimensionals....and then returned the stuff that had been stolen from him.

Its a seemingly senseless approach, with good and evil being synonymous in their phantasmagorical world.

Derenberger's wife met Cold on a few occasions, and echoed your sentiment: he was demonic. There was just something "wrong" about him, she often said.
    Last edited by Mike; 11th July 2013 at 18:25.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), jagman (11th July 2013)

37. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Quote Posted by GoingOn (here)
    surely one of the 34 guests here have read the thing?!?

well sign on and lets discuss it! i'm bored for chrissakes!
    Chinaski, because you asked so nicely, and because an impending thunderstorm is projected to cut power (a nightly occurrence here), I got the Kindle version.
    Kindle predicts at least 3.75 hours of reading time.
    Guess I better power up the Kindle while I can. I'll get back to you on this.

That's mighty kind of you GoingOn

DISCLAIMER: the book does start a little slow, is a bit uneven, and unfolds sorta jaggedly. By the middle it really heats up, and by the end you're cross-eyed and confounded with the sheer level of high strangeness offered... and the utter madness of it all.

Yeah, what would we think as a species if we found a planet whose most intelligent species was the equivalent of our two, three and four year olds? . How much fun would that planet be to mess with? I have a four year old and honestly I love messing with him. He asked me the other day why the sky was angry, it was a bad thunderstorm. Anyways, I told him that its angry because someone stole its toys. We were outside looking at the storm and he says,"daddy, is the thunder going to get us," I told him that the thunder knows that we didn't steal its toys and its going after our neighbors, because they did. A few days later we were outside again and it was starting to storm, and he goes,"Mr. Sky is mad again because someone stole his toys"

Whenever I think about the afterlife, I rarely ever consider meeting family n friends, going to the light etc...

I think about all the still alive friends I'd f#ck with with my new found powers, ha! I think there might be a brief period where i'd just terrorize a few people - it would be too hard to resist!
    Last edited by Mike; 11th July 2013 at 18:26.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), jagman (11th July 2013)

39. Link to Post #40
    United States Avalon Member jagman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,322 times in 1,900 posts

I wonder why "Indrid Cold" chose Woodrow Derenberger? What was it about Derenberger that caught his eye?

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jagman For This Post:

DNA (12th July 2013), GoingOn (11th July 2013), Mike (11th July 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 4 LastLast