+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 3 13

Thread: Technological advances that will directly affect you in the next 2 years

1. Link to Post #241
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Default Re: Technological advances that will directly affect you in the next 2 years

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    More importantly, I sense that quantum computing, like artificial intelligence (AI), is being hyped as a controversial danger, with the effect of dividing us along another fracture line and instilling fear, distrust and confusion in us, while convincing most of us that we must defer to the "experts", because we are not capable of making sense of this ourselves.

... just as the elite bastards intend.
    Here's an article that does an excellent debunking of quantum computing: The Case Against Quantum Computing -- The proposed strategy relies on manipulating with high precision an unimaginably huge number of variables (IEEE.org).

I agree with the article, and I continue to have no hope that quantum computing will be useful for anything other than justifying more research grants, and even that life span of quantum computing research may be nearing an end (see the quoted conclusion, below.)

This article is quite readable (for me at least), and can be easily skimmed at whatever level of detail interests one.

This IEEE article concludes:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    While I believe that such experimental research is beneficial and may lead to a better understanding of complicated quantum systems, I’m skeptical that these efforts will ever result in a practical quantum computer. Such a computer would have to be able to manipulate—on a microscopic level and with enormous precision—a physical system characterized by an unimaginably huge set of parameters, each of which can take on a continuous range of values. Could we ever learn to control the more than 10300 continuously variable parameters defining the quantum state of such a system?

My answer is simple. No, never.

I believe that, appearances to the contrary, the quantum computing fervor is nearing its end. That’s because a few decades is the maximum lifetime of any big bubble in technology or science. After a certain period, too many unfulfilled promises have been made, and anyone who has been following the topic starts to get annoyed by further announcements of impending breakthroughs. What’s more, by that time all the tenured faculty positions in the field are already occupied. The proponents have grown older and less zealous, while the younger generation seeks something completely new and more likely to succeed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

aKnightThatSaysNi (13th February 2019), avid (16th November 2018), Elixir (12th February 2019), PathWalker (19th November 2018), Reinhard (26th December 2018), TargeT (16th November 2018)

3. Link to Post #242
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 times in 806 posts

Default Re: Technological advances that will directly affect you in the next 2 years

As long as they have the power to control the media and create false hopes and fanciful dreams, they will draw public interest and money without any moral obligation. There is an outstanding example, practical thermonuclear fusion energy. Mainstream scientists have been promising it over six decades. Star's source energy is not thermonuclear fusion reaction. Gravitational collapse at the center of star can not happen because gravity is weak force.
    For free society!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Elixir (12th February 2019), ThePythonicCow (17th November 2018)

5. Link to Post #243
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

mixing light and sound has powerful uses

add in other wave forms and you start getting into the realm of the hutchsen effect.....
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Elixir (12th February 2019), Ernie Nemeth (23rd December 2018), Reinhard (26th December 2018)

7. Link to Post #244
    Thanks

More importantly, I sense that quantum computing, like artificial intelligence (AI), is being hyped as a controversial danger, with the effect of dividing us along another fracture line and instilling fear, distrust and confusion in us, while convincing most of us that we must defer to the "experts", because we are not capable of making sense of this ourselves.

... just as the elite bastards intend.
    And the ball is still rolling, apparently.

Trump signs legislation to boost quantum computing research with $1.2 billion
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

bennycog (30th December 2018), Reinhard (26th December 2018), ThePythonicCow (25th December 2018)

9. Link to Post #245
    Thanks

not sure about 2 years... but wow..... this, when improved; will be amazing.

Where are you?

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Elixir (12th February 2019), Ewan (3rd June 2023), happyuk (3rd June 2023), ThePythonicCow (31st December 2018)

11. Link to Post #246
    Thanks

Battery production improvement, cheaper, faster, safer? (10-20% reduction in manufacturing cost, making batteries much cheaper).

"less toxic, much simpler, smaller foot print, and less environmental damage for battery production, also much higher performance due to the lack of a solvent"

"significant incremental improvements"

very interesting timing, as electric cars are really starting to hit the market.

Interesting side note:

I think these two videos are related... I think tesla stock might be in for an uptick if a major battery manufacturing process was gained by the above merger)

Lots of interesting news on this,, a fairly big improvement to current battery tech.

Last edited by TargeT; 13th February 2019 at 13:08.
    Where are you?

12. Link to Post #247
    Thanks

These are out now, very cool demo.

Where are you?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Ewan (3rd June 2023), Miller (3rd June 2023), ThePythonicCow (26th February 2019)

14. Link to Post #248
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,525 times in 32,788 posts

Bumping this thread with an interesting development I was unaware of. This in particular may not "directly affect us", but it's surely another harbinger of the future that will.

https://t.me/Slavyangrad/48835

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alecs (4th June 2023), Ewan (3rd June 2023), kudzy (3rd June 2023), NancyV (3rd June 2023), Stephanie (3rd June 2023), Tintin (3rd June 2023), Violet3 (4th June 2023), Yoda (3rd June 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 3 13