+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Gunung Padang the oldest pyramid on the planet ?

1. Link to Post #1
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Question Is Gunung Padang the oldest pyramid on the planet ?

Frank Joseph: "The first archaeological survey of Gunung Padang appears in a “Report, the Department of Antiquities” (Rapporten van de Oudheidkundige Dienst) for Holland’s colonial office in 1914. Thirty-three years later, a Canberra team from the Australian National University’s Centre for Archaeological Research determined that Gunung Padang was far older than previously imagined.

Not until February 2012, however, was a State-sponsored evaluation of the site carried out, when thorough radiocarbon testing revealed it was built and first occupied about 4,800 years ago. As the researchers were carrying out their investigations, they noticed traces on Mount Padang’s surface of underground structures.

The President of Indonesia himself, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, lavished the archaeologists with costly GSSI and Multi-Channel SuperSting R-8 ground-penetrating radar units, plus GEM-Ovenhausser geo-magnetometers. These state-of-the-art instruments readily found and accurately confirmed the existence of large and small chambers, walls, gates and staircases buried deep beneath the often-visited, open-air ruins."

"Team leader and geologist, Dr. Danny Hilman Natawidjaja and his twenty colleagues carefully dredged up organic materials, which were sent for laboratory testing in the United States.

The Jakarta Post announced on 5 November: "A recent analysis of carbon-dating by the Miami-based Beta Analytic Lab has apparently validated findings by a government-sanctioned team that a man-made structure lies buried under Mount Padang in Cianjur, West Java. The lab used samples of sand, soil and charcoal found at a depth of between three and twelve metres beneath the mountain’s surface. Based on geo-electric, geo-radar and geo-magnetic [surveys], a large chamber is buried at least up to fifteen metres from the surface… Carbon-dating test results from the Miami lab show that the structure could date back to 14,000 B.C., or beyond."

The significance of this discovery cannot be over-stated, because it crosses the Ice Age event horizon."

------------------------------

Michael Bachelard: "Hilman, who holds a PhD from the California Institute of Technology and senior geologist at Indonesia's Centre for Geotechnical Research, believes that most of this 100 metre hill is actually man-made, built up on three stages over the millenniums by three different cultures. If he's right, then buried beneath the piles of ancient stone is by far the oldest pyramid on the planet.

Vulcanologist Sutikno Bronto, says Gunung Padang is simply the neck of a nearby volcano, not an ancient pyramid. "Danny Hilman is not a vulcanologist. I am," he says. As for the carbon-dated cement between the stones, on which Hilman relies for his claims about the age of the site, Sutikno believes it is simply the byproduct of a natural weathering process, ''not man-made''.

Other sceptic archaeologist asks: ''In the Pawon cave in Padalarang [about 45 kilometres from Gunung Padang], we found some human bones and tools made of bones about 9500 years ago, or about 7000 BCE. So, if at 7000 BCE our technology was only producing tools of bones, how can people from 20,000 BCE obtain the technology to build a pyramid?''

------------------------------

Rick MG: "Several of Gunung Padang's standing stones have astronomical alignments, reinforced by indigenous names for the site. Locals refer to the ruins as Sundapura, the "Shrine of the Sun", while the hill itself is called Parahyang Padang, "Where the Sun Ancestors Dwell".

"Its andesite blocks and columns resonate with a bell-like tone when struck with another hard object. They belong to a rare, geological occurrence known as lithophony, the property of some rocks to emit musical sounds under percussive stress."

"Graham Hancock is preparing to visit the site soon, as part of research for his follow-up to Fingerprints of the Gods."

Mount Sadahurip – Garut, Indonesia
    Last edited by Atlas; 7th August 2013 at 17:44.

2. The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

421E (22nd September 2013), Ammit (7th August 2013), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), christian (7th August 2013), Cidersomerset (7th August 2013), Delight (7th August 2013), divine_moments_of_truth (7th August 2013), DNA (9th August 2013), EC1000 (7th August 2013), Ellisa (8th August 2013), Hervé (12th October 2014), indigopete (8th August 2013), Ivanhoe (8th August 2013), Joanne Shepard (22nd May 2014), jsl2837 (21st May 2014), kersley (7th August 2013), Latti (8th August 2013), Laura Elina (8th August 2013), Lefty Dave (7th August 2013), loc333 (21st May 2014), mab777 (9th August 2014), math330 (24th October 2014), MorningFox (21st May 2014), Muzz (13th October 2014), naste.de.lumina (17th October 2014), Nasu (22nd May 2014), nomadguy (8th August 2013), Ol' Roy (8th August 2013), PurpleLama (8th August 2013), rgray222 (20th May 2014), Richard S. (8th August 2013), sdv (23rd September 2013), seeker/reader (9th August 2014), shadowstalker (7th August 2013), Skywizard (7th August 2013), Sunny-side-up (20th May 2014), transiten (22nd September 2013), WhiteFeather (9th August 2013), Wind (7th August 2013), Woody (9th August 2013), write4change (8th August 2013)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

Default Re: Is Gunung Padang the oldest pyramid on the planet ?

Ptaah says the Giza pyramid in Egypt was built over 73,357 years ago, built in two time periods one being 35,650 ( from 1956) ago ... they were built by the direction of extra-terrestrials and 200,000 slaves that took many decades ... only of few still had their powers of telekinesis ... they were built for protection against castastrophe from a wayward destroyer comet that came around about every 575.5 years , the plejaren have since re-directed it's path so it no longer threatens earth ... from contact 256 may 13 th 1996...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Ammit (7th August 2013), Atlas (7th August 2013), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), DNA (9th August 2013), Joanne Shepard (22nd May 2014), jsl2837 (21st May 2014), Kryztian (7th August 2013), Skywizard (7th August 2013), WhiteFeather (9th August 2013)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,638 times in 18,693 posts

Thanks buares another site pushing back the boundries of mainstream history.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

Ammit (7th August 2013), Atlas (7th August 2013), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Ellisa (8th August 2013), Joanne Shepard (17th August 2014), WhiteFeather (9th August 2013)

7. Link to Post #4
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,622 times in 602 posts

Very interesting. Thanks for posting buares.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indigopete For This Post:

Atlas (8th August 2013), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Joanne Shepard (17th August 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member sirdipswitch's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,166 times in 1,683 posts

Great find, buares!!

In explorring this material, have you found anyone to mention if those two mountains, in the background, have been checked to see if they are also pyramids? Looks alot like three more linning up like the three at Giza. hmm.

And, is the thickness of dirt covering these, more or less, than the thickness of dirt covering the pyramids in China? Also, how would they compare to those in Bosnia?

Seems to me, that "someone", a bit smarter than us, and likes to build pyramids, has been visiting here, for a "very" long time. Wonder if they'll stop by again. ccc. (chuckle chuckle chuckle)
    Love, Peace, Humor
    sirdipswitch

" A little knowledge, is a dangerous thing... so is a lot."
    - Albert Einstein -

"Please, Do NOT, believe a word that I say, for this is my journey not yours. Go do your own research. Listen to no-one. Find YOUR own Truth. As "I" did." "It is all just a Game, play it as you will."
    -sirdipswitch-

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sirdipswitch For This Post:

Atlas (9th August 2013), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Conchis (8th August 2013), Joanne Shepard (22nd May 2014), MorningFox (21st May 2014), seeker/reader (9th August 2014)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member WhiteFeather's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,975 times in 5,652 posts

"Graham Hancock is preparing to visit the site soon, as part of research for his follow-up to Fingerprints of the Gods." Thanks for that Buares, I didn't know he was doing a follow up. Grahams work is unparalleled in the field of Alternative Archeology. I Cant wait for the sequel to his Fingerprints of The Gods book. Great thread Buares.

Asquali

"Although I Live On This World, I Choose Not To Live In It"
    <:~W.F.~:>

"The answer to every question can be found in nature, if one knows how to look and listen”
    Gwilda Wiyaka

"Everything on the Earth has a purpose, Every disease a herb to cure it, and every person a mission. This is the Indian theory of existence".
    Mourning Dove Salish

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteFeather For This Post:

Atlas (9th August 2013), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), DNA (9th August 2013), Joanne Shepard (22nd May 2014), Nasu (22nd May 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by WhiteFeather (here)
    "Graham Hancock is preparing to visit the site soon, as part of research for his follow-up to Fingerprints of the Gods." Thanks for that Buares, I didn't know he was doing a follow up. Grahams work is unparalleled in the field of Alternative Archeology. I Cant wait for the sequel to his Fingerprints of The Gods book. Great thread Buares.

Asquali

Thanks WhiteFeather, on Graham Hancock's forum, carolb wrote:

"from Graham's Facebook timeline:

Quote:

For those who missed my post on this last week, a
    > radical re-dating has been proposed for Gunung Padang, an eerie
    > megalithic site in West Java, Indonesia. The site, which Santha
    > and I are now arranging to visit
    , was originally discovered in
    > 1914, and has long been typecast by the mainstream as less than
    > 5,000 years old -- a date that does not challenge the
    > conventional paradigm. However, new research on the site by
    > Dany Hilman, senior Geologist at Indonesia's Centre for
    > Geotechnical Research, completely overturns this orthodox view.
    > "It's older than 9,000 years," says Hilman "and could be up to
    > 20,000". Naturally the mainstream is already fighting back and
    > seeking to discredit Hilman and his team, but we have been
    > seeing these sort of tactics since my friends John Anthony West
    > and geologist Robert Schoch first questioned the orthodox
    > dating of the Great Sphinx of Giza back in 1992. Little by
    > little the evidence that discredits the mainstream timeline is
    > piling up -- first the Sphinx, then the 12,000 year old
    > megalithic site of Gobekli Tepe which I have already written
    > about extensively here (e.g. goo.gl/iX4CMf) and spoken
    > of in talks and interviews for the last couple of years, now
    > Gunung Padang and all of this in context of a gigantic global
    > cataclysm linked to a horrendous cometary bombardment of the
    > earth between 13,000 and 12,000 years ago that honest
    > scientists can no longer seriously deny. The policemen of the
    > intellect who dominate mainstream archaeology and history may
    > not be able to maintain their stranglehold on the past for very
    > much longer."
    http://www.grahamhancock.com/phorum/...26517&t=326468

I'm not sure where RickMG found the "as part of research for his follow-up to Fingerprints of the Gods" info, thanks for pointing this out.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), DNA (10th August 2013), Joanne Shepard (22nd May 2014), jsl2837 (21st May 2014), naste.de.lumina (17th October 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,876 times in 4,326 posts

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    -they were built for protection against castastrophe from a wayward destroyer comet that came around about every 575.5 years , the plejaren have since re-directed it's path so it no longer threatens earth ... from contact 256 may 13 th 1996...
    So do you think this wayward destroyer planet or Nibiru is coming back around?
    Folks have been rather worried lately.
    I'm of the opinion that this is not the case. I believe Billy Meier and I don't think there is anything to worry about as far as this is concerned.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Atlas (9th August 2013), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Nasu (22nd May 2014)

17. Link to Post #9
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    -they were built for protection against castastrophe from a wayward destroyer comet that came around about every 575.5 years , the plejaren have since re-directed it's path so it no longer threatens earth ... from contact 256 may 13 th 1996...
    So do you think this wayward destroyer planet or Nibiru is coming back around?
    Folks have been rather worried lately.
    I'm of the opinion that this is not the case. I believe Billy Meier and I don't think there is anything to worry about as far as this is concerned.
    Hi DNA, I posted a thread on Nibiru here: showthread.php?61878-Ancient-Egyptians-NIBIRU-is-NEBHERU-the-planet-Venus.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), DNA (10th August 2013), Joanne Shepard (17th August 2014)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Research at Mount Padang is Done, Researchers Find Something 'Special'

Jakarta - Independent Integrated Research Team (TTRM) Gunung Padang have finished doing the initial research. A number of samples have been studied and prepared for the report. They reported found something special.

Erick Rizky, TTRM members said, the report results of research in Gunung Padang will then be reported to the President, several ministries, local government of West Java and local government regency of Cianjur . Of the report, the research will be continued by the state.

The research team found four layers in Mount Padang. According to Erick, layers 1 and 2 will be followed up by the Ministry of Education Culture or the Government. While the other two layers, called very special, to be determined by the president.

"While the layers 3 and 4 are 'very special' and 'the only one in this world' seems not Ministry of Education Culture region. Whether the defense ministry, or the ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, or maybe the National Guards, will be handed over everything to the direction of the President," said Erick in a release told AFP on Wednesday (09/11/2013).

What the special findings is? Based on the analysis of a number of published findings, allegedly a special technology tucked beneath layers of mount padang. Previously, the researchers found a chamber or room, giant bowls, rivers and springs, domes, towers, aquifer and transmitter. Magnetic anomalies are also found in these locations.

These findings point to a device which is similar to a hydroelectric power plant reactors.

President's special staff Andi Arief is also part of the research team said, it is true there are a number of findings in Mount Padang. But he did not want to give details of what information the special building is.

"Culture of layer 1 and 2 are excavated by ali akbar's team. Layer 3 and 4 is it true a reactors just like analyzed, I need to ask the researchers more detail. Many parties are asking the same thing." he told reporters when asked for confirmation.

"I can not precede the conclusion of researchers. I just could make sure the content is an advanced technology," he continued.

Research on site of Gunung Padang is indeed invited the attention of many parties. When discussed, this site is associated with the pyramids. While many would call Mount Padang's model just similar to site on Machupichu.

The study was conducted independently integrated team consisting of various experts. What actually the contents of the mountain is? The Report of the researchers will answer it.

m.detik.com/news/read/2013/09/11/162803/2356025/10/riset-di-gunung-padang-selesai-peneliti-temukan-sesuatu-yang-istimewa?9922022

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 421E For This Post:

Atlas (22nd September 2013), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Billy (22nd September 2013), cursichella1 (22nd September 2013), ExomatrixTV (17th December 2022), ghostrider (22nd September 2013), gigha (22nd September 2013), Joseph McAree (22nd September 2013), kersley (22nd September 2013), Latti (22nd September 2013), panopticon (22nd September 2013)

21. Link to Post #11
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Hi 421E and welcome to Avalon!

Quote Posted by buares (here)
    projectavalon.net/Is-Gunung-Padang-the-oldest-pyramid-on-the-planet

Mount Sadahurip – Garut, Indonesia
    Quote Posted by sirdipswitch (here)
    ...have you found anyone to mention if those two mountains, in the background, have been checked to see if they are also pyramids? Looks alot like three more linning up like the three at Giza. hmm.

And, is the thickness of dirt covering these, more or less, than the thickness of dirt covering the pyramids in China? Also, how would they compare to those in Bosnia?
    Do you think you can help answer the question of sirdipswitch ?
    Last edited by Atlas; 22nd September 2013 at 10:09.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Billy (22nd September 2013), cursichella1 (22nd September 2013), ExomatrixTV (17th December 2022), panopticon (22nd September 2013)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,558 times in 5,028 posts

Welcome to Avalon 421E and thank you for this info.

If you wish to share a link use the blue icon that looks like the blue planet which is placed at the center of all the icons above the reply box or when creating a new thread.

I found the site where this story is being discussed here. Great site by the way.

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=32740
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Atlas (22nd September 2013), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), cursichella1 (22nd September 2013), ExomatrixTV (17th December 2022), Joseph McAree (27th September 2013), panopticon (22nd September 2013)

25. Link to Post #13
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by billyji (here)
    I found the site where this story is being discussed here. Great site by the way.

Thank you billyji. Some photos from your link:

See also: projectavalon.net/News-from-gunung-padang-A-device-which-is-similar-to-a-hydroelectric-power-plant-reactors-in-layer-25.000-BC
    Last edited by Atlas; 22nd September 2013 at 14:26.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Agape (9th August 2014), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Hervé (12th October 2014), Joanne Shepard (22nd May 2014), Nasu (22nd May 2014), transiten (22nd September 2013), Wind (25th September 2013)

27. Link to Post #14
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Quote Posted by billyji (here)

Thank you billyji. Some photos from your link:

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Billy (22nd September 2013), ExomatrixTV (17th December 2022), Joseph McAree (27th September 2013)

29. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

what ??? a civilization 25,000 yrs ago smarter than us ??? the ptb are gonna squash this one ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Billy (22nd September 2013), conk (23rd September 2013), ExomatrixTV (17th December 2022)

31. Link to Post #16
    Sweden Avalon Member
    Thanks

Smile Re: Is Gunung Padang the oldest pyramid on the planet ?

Dr. Semir Osmanagich, discoverer of Bosnian Pyramid visited Jakarta, Indonesia, as a guest of dr.D.Hilman, discoverer of 'pyramid' in Indonesia, and he confirmed that Gunung Padang is a pyramid.
    http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/w...electedImage=2
    Dr. Semir Osmanagich said in Jakarta,: "Today, the 14th of May of 2014. I confirm that, based on preliminary geophysical scientific measurements, under layers of earth elevations (mountain) Gunung Padang, there is the oldest pyramid building in Asia. Higher than 100 meters, and according to the first radiocarbon data, older than 23,000 years. Let's call it 'Pyramid Padang' - Pyramid of Light."

EDIT: I have merged Lotos's new thread with this existing thread.

Billy

Peace.
    Last edited by lotos; 20th May 2014 at 22:10.

32. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lotos For This Post:

Atlas (22nd May 2014), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Billy (20th May 2014), Joanne Shepard (22nd May 2014), Magnus (20th May 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (20th May 2014), ThePythonicCow (20th May 2014), Wind (20th May 2014)

33. Link to Post #17
    Sweden Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thank you Billy!

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lotos For This Post:

Atlas (22nd May 2014), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Billy (20th May 2014), Joanne Shepard (17th August 2014)

35. Link to Post #18
    Sweden Avalon Member
    Thanks

Dr. Semir Osmanagich mentioned in his presentation in Jakarta, that
    there are surprising similarities between the Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun and Pyramid of Padang in Indonesia.
    Both have the geometry of the pyramid, it was used local materials, there were identified the inner chamber passes, and water flows.
    Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun is located above the iron plate / ore, and the Indonesian uses volcanic rock (iron) as a building material.
    Iron generates its own electromagnetic energy. We used materials that have conductive properties of energy.
    Quartz in Bosnia and quartz sand in Indonesia. Water plays a very important role, from generating electricity to medicinal qualities.
    His presentation was met with great interest and approval and
    it began talks on concrete cooperation between the Foundation "Archaeological Park: Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun" and the corresponding scientific organizations of Indonesian government.
    It seems that dr. Semir Osmanagich get better understanding for his work far away from home
    then in his own country and in some conservative archaeological and geological circles in the West.

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lotos For This Post:

Atlas (22nd May 2014), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Billy (20th May 2014), Joanne Shepard (22nd May 2014), jsl2837 (21st May 2014), Wind (20th May 2014)

37. Link to Post #19
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks

Robert M. Schoch's journey to Gunung Padang

Quote Posted by Robert M. Schoch

Based on the evidence, I believe that human use of the site began by circa 14,700 BCE. Possibly the earliest use of the site goes back to circa 22,000 BCE or even earlier—we just do not know.
    Link to article: http://atlantisrisingmagazine.com/20...gunung-padang/

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Billy (9th August 2014), Hervé (12th October 2014), Joanne Shepard (17th August 2014)

39. Link to Post #20
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,602 times in 21,522 posts

Here's an update on Gunung Padang from Graham Hancock: Latest News From The Excavations At Gunung Padang, The Mysterious Ancient Pyramid In Indonesia That Is Rewriting History (2 Oct 2014:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Artist's impression of Gunung Padang as it would have looked in antiquity by and courtesy of architect Pon S Purajatnika. ©

Click above image for full size image.

The archaeological establishment is scrambling to find some reason to reject and pour scorn on the extraordinary consequences of the excavations now taking place at Gunung Padang in Indonesia.

Since its first exploration by archaeologists in 1914 the site was thought to be a natural hill with 2500 year-old megalithic structures on top of it. But in 2010 geologist Dr Danny Hilman Natawidjaja (who earned his doctorate at Cal Tech) recognized this “hill” as a possible man-made pyramid and began to explore it using ground penetrating radar, seismic tomography, resistivity survey and other remote sensing techniques, as well as some direct excavations and deep core drilling.

The results were immediately intriguing (see this article I wrote in January for background: http://www.grahamhancock.com/forum/H...vilization.php) producing evidence of deeply buried man-made chambers and yielding carbon dates going back as far as 26,000 years. This was the last Ice Age when our ancestors are supposed (according to the orthodox archaeological model) to be have been nothing more than primitive hunter gatherers incapable of large-scale construction and engineering feats. Was it possible that geologist Natawidjaja was unearthing the proof of a lost advanced civilization of prehistoric antiquity? Such ideas are heresy to mainstream archaeologists and sure enough the archaeological establishment in Indonesia banded together against Dr Natawidjaja and his team, lobbied the political authorities, agitated locally and succeeded in slowing down, though not completely stopping, the further exploration of Gunung Padang.

Dr Natawidjaja fought back, doing some high-level lobbying of his own, taking the matter to the President of Indonesia himself. There were further delays to do with elections in Indonesia but just a couple of months ago, in mid-August 2014, the final obstacles were lifted and Dr Natawidjaja and his team moved back onto the Gunung Padang site with full approval to go ahead with their work, including permission to excavate the concealed chambers.

Archaeologists were furious and immediately began lobbying to get the work stopped – fortunately to no avail as preliminary excavations have produced results that prove beyond doubt that Gunung Padang in indeed a man-made pyramid of great antiquity as Dr Natawidjaja had long ago proposed. Even the relatively young layer so far excavated (the second artificial columnar rock-layer beneath the megalithic site visible on the surface) has yielded dates of 5200 BC (nearly 3000 years older than the orthodox dating for the Pyramids of Giza in Egypt) and there are firm indications from the original remote sensing and core drilling work of much older layers below. In short, it is now evident to all that the site is vastly older than the 2500 years that archaeologists had insisted upon for decades. Even the most hostile amongst them are therefore now reframing their assessment of the site and referring to it as “a gigantic terraced tomb, which was part of the biggest megalithic culture in the archipelago.”

For a flavor of the sour grapes the archaeological establishment feel towards Dr Natawidjaja and his team see this recent article from the Jakarta Post: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...dang-site.html

I asked Dr Natawidjaja for his response to the Jakarta Post article and he replied as follows:

“The article has got the story all wrong. All excavations were supervised by archeologists from Agency for Conservation and Management of Archaeological Sites (BPCB) and University of Indonesia. The excavation sites have also recently been inspected by the Director for Conservation of Archeological Sites (who is the boss of Miss Desril Shanti ), by the head of the BPCB, and by the Minister of Education and Culture himself. Afterward, they gave a press conference confirming that all excavations are good and proper. For information, the head of the National Archeological Center, which is the main office above local Archeological Centers including Bandung Archeological Center, is also a member of the National Team for Gunung Padang. The Jakarta Post article is also wrong about the funding. The Minister of Education and Culture did indeed announce in the press conference that he would allocate about Rp 3 billion for the research but it has not begun to be disbursed yet. So far, I and my team are still working willingly on our own funding with the help of the soldiers (TNI) who have been working alongside us. Of course the TNI have their own funding – but not from that Endowment Fund.”

As to the progress of the work at Gunung Padang, Dr Natawidjaja writes as follows:

“The research progress has been being great. We have excavated three more spots right on top of the megalithic site in the past couple weeks, which give more evidence and details about the buried structures. We have uncovered lots more stone artifacts from the excavations. The existence of the pyramid-like structure beneath the megalithic site is now loud and clear; even for non-specialists, it is not too difficult to understand if they come and see for themselves. We have found some kind of open hall buried by soil 5-7 meters thick; however we have not yet got into the main chamber. We are now drilling to the suspected location of the chamber (based on subsurface geophysic) in the middle of the megalithic site.”

Stay tuned for more news from the front line!
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

40. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Agape (13th October 2014), Atlas (13th October 2014), Bill Ryan (17th December 2022), Hervé (12th October 2014), InTheBackground (13th October 2014), Joanne Shepard (24th October 2014), Muzz (13th October 2014), naste.de.lumina (17th October 2014), Ratszinger (18th December 2022), Wind (13th October 2014)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast