+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help for Back Pain

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Help for Back Pain

I wonder if anyone has come across Dr John Sarno? He treats back pain in a psychological/mindbody way and has apparently had considerable success. Thought I'd mention it since so many people suffer in this way these days.

http://www.unlearnyourpain.com/index.php?Dr.%20Sarno

There's a free online program here. Look for Structured Educational Program:

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/The_Tensi..._Syndrome_Wiki

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Battleaxe For This Post:

4evrneo (15th August 2013), Bill Ryan (16th July 2021), Bubu (16th August 2013), cursichella1 (15th August 2013), DeDukshyn (14th April 2021), Deega (15th August 2013), Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), genevieve (16th August 2013), Gwin Ru (30th August 2021), Inversion (13th April 2021), Johnnycomelately (5th June 2022), Nickolai (27th August 2013), Richard S. (16th August 2013), Sunny-side-up (15th August 2013), Tommy (16th August 2013), william r sanford72 (16th August 2013), wondering (30th August 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Finland Avalon Member Ultima Thule's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,265 times in 683 posts

Default Re: Help for Back Pain

Sarnos basic ideology is simple and sound:

My rephrase of how I see it:
    You have emotions. Movements and signs of your body in response to strong emotions, frowns, sounds of laughter, anger, cry etc. are all meaningful methods to dissipate the excess electricity that is being created. When an ADULT doesn't express the emotions, body very wisely tries to channel the produced(you can't turn that off) electrical voltage through autonomic nervous system to be used slowly via slightly increased muscle tone(usually back muscles) and/or internal organs may also be facilitated, ie intestinal wall tension and movement.

Now this is great as supposedly you only once in a great while do NOT express yourself and the excess tension dissipates as time goes by.
    Unfortunately as we all know, we adults don't express our emotions but instead behave and this great and wise system is instead of being used now and then, used all the time. This will result among other things to basically muscles in the back for example being in a hypoxic state, lacking oxygen, meaning pain.

Now this is a quite reasonable small facet in the explanation as to why and how emotional experiences can be stored in our body. Many more things can be thought of there, but in one sentence: do read John Sarnos Mind over Back Pain, it is a classic!

UT
    Last edited by Ultima Thule; 15th August 2013 at 17:02.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ultima Thule For This Post:

4evrneo (15th August 2013), Battleaxe (15th August 2013), Bill Ryan (16th July 2021), Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Eram (15th August 2013), Gwin Ru (30th August 2021), Inversion (13th April 2021), Nickolai (27th August 2013), northstar (16th August 2013), Savannah (30th August 2021), Tommy (16th August 2013), wondering (30th August 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,349 times in 2,716 posts

Funny you mention this...I (re)watched one of the only James Bartley interviews easily found on the nets yesterday, and it stuck out in my mind for some reason when he mentions that the rape-toids are known cause back pains in their targets.

Hope you feel better, if you are suffering...sending love either way

6. Link to Post #4
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Diet, water filter etc are key to good health IMO!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Battleaxe For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th July 2021), Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Inversion (13th April 2021), Nickolai (27th August 2013), Peace in Oz (13th April 2021), wondering (30th August 2021)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

i sufferd a great back injury when i was 10.from that moment on i began to suffer from cronic back pain.about 13 years ago i messed my back again so bad i killed the nerves in my right leg and had a hard time even walking.this forced me to go to the doctor to get an mmr..they found the injurys and also found a 3 inch long thumb sized tumor inside my spinal cord.everything involved in that operation is a thread all its own.after 2 major surgerys..successull i might add.and the tumor not being deadly full of cancer.i went on to start a small farm and beekeeping operation..despite what the doctors told me i would able to do or not to do.hang in there.theres countless methods that could help your back.blessings your way..william.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

anasazi (25th October 2021), Bill Ryan (16th July 2021), Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), donk (16th August 2013), genevieve (16th August 2013), grannyfranny100 (18th August 2013), Gwin Ru (30th August 2021), Hym (14th April 2021), Inversion (13th April 2021), northstar (16th August 2013), Pam (30th August 2021), Patient (30th August 2021), Peace in Oz (13th April 2021)

10. Link to Post #6
    United States Unsubscribed
    earth * planet Hell hole without a Heart. Move the H to the end and get planet without H-eart.Earth
    Thanks

I fell down a flight of stairs when I was a stupid teenager, being drunk at a party.
    I had dislocated my discs or something. Had backpain that would keep me in bed for days on and off for several decades. That was 25 years ago. I then had almost died from morgellons. I was given the MPS far infrared pad by Dr. Staninger who created this pad to heal the body. She is the main whistleblower on chemtrails. Anyway, this technology saved my life and the side effect was that all my back problems also went away as well. There is a story of a little girl who almost died after a Hurricane Ivan hit florida. Her back and pelvic bone was crushed and the doctors had to remove all her organs to survive. She was not expected to ever walk again. Several months after using this technology, she was walking with a cane. I don't know where she is at right now. But it was a miracle that she could even get up. I have since purchased the mps sauna and rainbow. The technology uses diamond crystals and that is why this machine works. I know cannot live without it. It has saved my mom from going to the hospital when she had heart pains. I said..wait, hold on a minute, try my far infrared rainbow. Five minutes under it, and we didn't have to go to the hospital anymore.

11. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,386 times in 1,629 posts

I've had lower back pain on and off since childhood. I saw an old home movie of me at age three and it looked like I had an abnormal curvature of the spine. In elementary school I did a running long jump and landed on my buttocks causing extreme pain and compression of the spine. Last year I bent over the sink to brush my teeth and the muscles in my lower back seized. When that happens I can barely walk for several days.

To improve the problem I stopped drinking soda and lost about twelve pounds. Every evening I'll do a stretching routine which has helped greatly. I also do crunches to strengthen my core. I can only sit in a deep chair for a few minutes before pain sets in. I can sit in a computer chair, stand or lay down.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Inversion For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th July 2021), DeDukshyn (14th April 2021), Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Ernie Nemeth (13th April 2021), Gwin Ru (30th August 2021), Harmony (14th April 2021), Hym (14th April 2021), Kalamos (14th April 2021), Patient (30th August 2021), Peace in Oz (13th April 2021), Sue (Ayt) (13th April 2021), wondering (30th August 2021)

13. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Hmmm never saw this thread before ... I;ll agree with inversion, stretching (good hard stretching), and abdominal / core strength is most apt. "Activating" your glutes before starting the day is also supposed to be beneficial (google it), for back pain prevention. Depends on the root cause though.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

anasazi (25th October 2021), Bill Ryan (16th July 2021), Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Gwin Ru (30th August 2021), Harmony (14th April 2021), Inversion (14th April 2021), Patient (30th August 2021)

15. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,033 times in 910 posts

Got a call from a friend 3 days ago. Outta the blue it was.
    He called to thank me for the Inversion table I got for him a year ago.
    He said he's been using it and he's doing well by it.

Last year I saw one at a yard sale and it was better than the older used one I have, so I bought it.
    Then I realized that the friend had a back problem, so I called him up and gave it to him.
    The older one I still have works just as well as the newer one I gave to my friend.
    Used inversion tables can be found locally online or in newspapers and they are normally under $100 used in the states.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th July 2021), Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Gwin Ru (30th August 2021), Harmony (14th April 2021), Inversion (14th April 2021), Patient (30th August 2021)

17. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

On Coast radio, I heard Brandy Gillmore erase a caller's chronic pain by intuiting the underlying belief pattern and steering the caller to discarding it. It was amazing:

"Brandy Gillmore, a Ph.D. in natural medicine, is a world-renowned mind/body energy expert who is most well-known for her discoveries in self-healing and working with the power of the mind to get tangible results. She has been able to demonstrate back-to-back physical healing results (even under thermal medical equipment) which is something that has never been done before. Her breakthrough work has been featured in an award winning documentary and various docuseries. Brandy speaks on stages around the world and has also given a mind-expanding TEDx talk."

https://brandygillmore.com/

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th July 2021), Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Gwin Ru (30th August 2021), Harmony (14th April 2021), Hym (14th April 2021), Inversion (14th April 2021), Patient (30th August 2021)

19. Link to Post #11
    Australia Avalon Member Spindoctor's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone doing any extended sitting like most office workers, students, pilots, truck drivers, cab drivers, delivery men etc are right in line to develop low back problems as your core strength weakens, hamstrings tighten and weaken and the spine is pulled out of alignment. I had desk roles for forty years and only now after a decade of low back pain am I finally getting on top of why the vicious circle of soreness turning into muscle spasms taking over your entire body continues unless and until you start from scratch and work on restoring core strength. You canot expect an overnight fix and in my case it has taken several years to get to the stage where I do not rely on Valium and other sedatives to sleep thru the night. I paid to see a spinal surgeon and he looked at my MRI's and XRays and said there's nothing here I would consider operating on. All your issues are muscular. So I saw an exercise physiologist who started me from scratch with new walking shoes, (in my case Brooks or Mizuni), a new medium firm support bed and targeted exercises to rebuild core strength, look up these if you are interested, arches, single leg andf both leg bridges, knee clamshells, supine dead bugs, stiff leg deadlifts, do yoga, pilates, reformer, hydrotherapy pool exercising, bird dog on a stability ball. Look up the squating frog stretch and see if you can sit there comfortably with your heels on the ground. I use a stability gym ball and also a hard foam roller for tight glutes, hamstrings, ITB, quads and thoracic tightness. So far so good. The best of luck with your journey back from chronic pain.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Spindoctor For This Post:

anasazi (25th October 2021), Bill Ryan (16th July 2021), Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Franny (16th July 2021), Gwin Ru (30th August 2021), Harmony (16th July 2021), Inversion (16th July 2021), Patient (30th August 2021), wondering (30th August 2021)

21. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 times in 144 posts

Take Magnesium in high doses.
    Make your own Magnesium Bicarbonated Water.
    Epsom Salt baths are Magnesium

Take 1-2 tsp of MSM-Sulfur powder in a shot of water.. 1-2x/day

New.. Take Benfotiamine Oil Based B-1 250-600 mg 2 x/day...
    It works on nerve damage in foot, back, brain nerves and Alzheimer's..
    After 6 weeks while working in yard this spring.. my lower back pain from an auto accident decreased by 50%.
    It works on excess sugar.. to move it in a different channel so it does not damage nerves.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Perdido For This Post:

anasazi (25th October 2021), Bill Ryan (30th August 2021), Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Gwin Ru (30th August 2021), Harmony (30th August 2021), Le Chat (30th August 2021), leavesoftrees (30th August 2021), Patient (30th August 2021), wondering (30th August 2021)

23. Link to Post #13
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,453 times in 571 posts

I have some back pain from a motorbike accident in 1994.

I find if I am idle, and there is pain, I need to move. I also find if I am in motion, and there is pain, it is time to rest.

This is how I manage my pain. I get like 3 headaches a year and that is the only time I take tablets for pain. Generally, tablets don't work on pain other than a headache for me anyways.
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th August 2021), Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Gwin Ru (30th August 2021), Le Chat (30th August 2021), Patient (30th August 2021), wondering (30th August 2021)

25. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,340 times in 472 posts

I have had (mainly lower) back pain for most of my adult life. I've tried most of the traditional means of easing said pain, sometimes at great expense.
    What works best for me is minor back-stretching exercises that I can do as and when I feel the need, plus walking for miles and miles. Maybe once a year I will see an osteopath to 'straighten things up a bit'...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Le Chat For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Gwin Ru (30th August 2021)

27. Link to Post #15
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

If mild problems try hot bath with favorite salts. After bath, on thin mat, lie on back, draw knees up to chin, hold front of knees with both hands interlaced, and slowly rock backwards and forwards. Then place feet on floor and lift hips off ground, hold, and release. Stretch flexed back against floor. Repeat.

For greater stretching try getting on all fours and arching back, drawing head down and hips forward. Then transition to flexed back, with hips and shoulders stretched as far apart as possible.

Note: None of these work for my wife and her chronic pain.
    Last edited by Ernie Nemeth; 30th August 2021 at 16:02.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021)

29. Link to Post #16
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Sometimes I get a 'niggling' pain that feels like something is out of alignment in my back. I might even get a bit of pain if it is bad enough.

This is usually because either the back is slightly out of alignment, or a certain back muscle has been over-worked. Twisting exercises, performed before the above back stretching, will alleviate such conditions.

The best are performed sitting on the mat, but are difficult to describe. Try standing, feet shoulder-width apart, hands on hips. Slowly turn to the left, using the entire body from feet to head, ending facing directly behind, elbow rotated almost 180 degrees. Feel stretch through chest. Repeat with other side.

Another one can be transitioned to from the previous exercise. Instead of drawing both knees to chin, lift one leg only to chin, keep hands at sides palms down on floor. Slowly turn to opposite side (if left leg, right side), lowering knee to ground, hold, turn back to center*, stretching raised leg back down. Repeat with other leg. This will realign any errant muscles in the spine, in tandem with the rolling motion.

Sorry: *There is a caution with the back twist from prone position as decribed above! When rotating back to center remember to first lift knee towards chin to unlock lower back.
    Last edited by Ernie Nemeth; 30th August 2021 at 18:37.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Harmony (5th June 2022), Inversion (30th August 2021)

31. Link to Post #17
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,276 times in 1,399 posts

May the Holy Spirit come to you, embrace you, pick you up and heal you! This I pray in Christ's name Amen!
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (30th August 2021), Harmony (5th June 2022), Inversion (30th August 2021)

33. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,386 times in 1,629 posts

I bought a new weight belt/back brace today and I had two. One I gave away and the other didn't have enough Velcro surface area to hold well. The thing was $37 and designed very well. There are adjustable compression straps and a removeable back-center lumbar pad. I end-up straining my back about 3-4 times a years.

Name:  back brace.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  25.5 KB
    Last edited by Inversion; 5th June 2022 at 00:37.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inversion For This Post:

Harmony (5th June 2022), Johnnycomelately (5th June 2022)

+ Reply to Thread