+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst 1 4 14 54 98 LastLast

Thread: Calling all light warriors - the Bees need you!

1. Link to Post #61
    United States Avalon Member heretogrow's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,981 times in 498 posts

Default Re: Calling all light warriors - the Bees need you!

I have a special request from all of the bee charmers on Avalon. My bedroom is being invaded by bees. I can't find how they are getting in. It is mostly quiet at night as it is getting cold but with first light I hear them buzzing around and then I get up and get out. I was stung in the middle of the night last week and let me tell you that will wake one up really fast. I had a problem like this with wasps, but these are the yellow jackets that you are talking about in other posts. I have asked them to leave, and left the windows open but I see new ones flying in through the windows as fast as the other ones leave.

I won't kill them because of this thread and my realization that bees are endangered. During a bee meditation could you see if you can get them to leave my room and go out into the fields somewhere. On a good note it is beginning to get cold here as fall is approaching. I know in a month or so it will be too cold so I should be alright. Unless they have decided to camp out in my room for the winter because they know I won't kill them. Not funny if true.

Thank you for your thread and your help!
    Julia

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heretogrow For This Post:

Atlas (7th September 2013), northstar (9th September 2013), william r sanford72 (8th September 2013)

3. Link to Post #62
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

The Queen bee is the centre of the hive: She accompanies every-swarm that you see. The Queen is also the largest bee and her body is specially formed for egg-laying-so that the eggs can be placed a little above the centre of the cells in the honeycomb. Before depositing her eggs, she inspects each cell to be sure it is properly cleaned by the workers. Just think of her effort and industry!

When, for any reason the colony needs a new Queen; extra royal jelly is fed to chosen larvae in the cells. The first young Queen to emerge from the pupa destroys all other developing Queens in the cells, then sets out on her mating flight after five to twelve days. After mating the young Queen has much to do. With her eggs fertile, she must return swiftly to the hive. The old Queen will have left with a swarm beforehand. The new Queen, closely surrounded by worker bees who feed and groom her, can lay up to one egg every minute day and night.

The Drones are the future fathers of the bee colony (rather a very small number of them will be). Shorter than the Queen, drones are larger than the workers. They have no accomplishments other than being patient. They cannot make wax, have no proboscis for collecting pollen or nectar, and have no pollen pikes on their legs. They are never called on to defend the hive so they have no need for a sting.

Drones rarely feed themselves – instead, they hold out their tongues and a worker bee places food on it. They are truly gentlemen in waiting. They are waiting for the day when a young Queen will fly from the hive. When a new Queen flies from the hive she joins the drones, who are already circling in drone congregation areas: The swiftest drones will catch and mate with the Queen, but their life is short. After mating, they will float back to earth and be dead by the time they reach the ground: They have helped to bring new life to the colony and their work is finished. The remaining drones return to the hive either to be driven out or to die there during the winter or when a shortage of food occurs.

Worker bees The main section of the hind pair of legs has special spines for holding pollen or propolis (a kind of gum). The centre legs are the bees’ main support, but all six legs are variously equipped with brushes, combs an spurs with which to brush pollen from the eyes, clean the antennae, wipe dust from the wings and pack pollen spines. The tongue and mandibles are used to lick and collect pollen grains from the anthers of flowers, with the result that the pollen grains are moistened with honey and stick together. The pollen is then transferred to the hind legs and held firmly until the forager enters the hive, when it is then packed in cells in the honeycomb.

Worker bees have two heavy spoonshaped jaws which work sideways. The jaws are used for collecting pollen and chewing wax. The abdomen has two important organs – the wax glands and the sting. Wax glands are special cells on the under side of the last four segments of the body. Wax is discharged through these special cells in tiny scales, which are then moulded and used in comb building, capping and the cells.
    Last edited by Atlas; 10th September 2013 at 07:13. Reason: edited content

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Heartsong (8th November 2013), heretogrow (7th September 2013), northstar (9th September 2013), william r sanford72 (8th September 2013)

5. Link to Post #63
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,340 times in 747 posts

Heretogrow and all,

We need to get our "bees" straight. Not all flying insects are "bees," although most people lump all the different kinds together and call them bees.

Honeybees and bumblebees are pollinators. They have fuzzy bodies and collect pollen from plants. Honeybees are the only flying insects that make honey, and that's one reason we value them so much. Bumblebees collect pollen but don't make honey. They also don't make hives and tend to be solitary. When approaching the work in this thread, I assume it is honeybees we are primarily concerned with, as they are the most valued pollinators for our food crops.

Wasps are a whole separate category. They are not pollinators, do not collect pollen. They make hives but the colonies don't get very large. They are meat eaters, that is, eating proteins from various sources. If you watch them fly, you'll see that their legs are long and hang down. They don't fly very fast.

Yellowjackets, European hornets, and bald-faced hornets are another category altogether. They have tight, compact bodies, usually black and yellow striped (except bald faced hornets which are black with white faces), no legs hanging down. These guys are fast flyers; some of them will hover in the air right in front of your face and look at you as if curious who you are! They are not pollinators, do not collect pollen, do not make honey, but all of them make hives of different sizes. European and bald-faced hornets are solitary, do not make group hives. HOWEVER, yellowjacket hives can have thousands of members! Yellowjackets get very aggressive, especially in the late summer and fall as now. They get frantic for some reason, maybe having to do with the coming death of the hive and preparing the queen to over-winter.

Heretogrow, it sounds to me like you might have a yellowjacket hive in your walls or maybe your attic. Look around the eaves of your roof, see if you can see them going in and out. Don't leave your windows open if you don't have screens. They're opportunistic and will take advantage of any opening you give them. Look around your window casings and underneath the window ledge, both inside and out. If there are gaps visible, fill them with anything that will block the entrance. Putty, caulk, or even cotton balls stuffed in cracks will block the entrance. At this time of the year, these guys are NOT friendly! Even though it's getting cooler, it may be November before the hive has died off. (All of them die except the queen.)
    Last edited by doodah; 7th September 2013 at 19:25.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doodah For This Post:

heretogrow (9th September 2013), northstar (9th September 2013), william r sanford72 (8th September 2013)

7. Link to Post #64
    Thanks

Quote Posted by william r sanford72 (here)
    being alergic is no joke and if the reaction to the venom is getting worse.first thing is go get an eppy pin.shot.from your local doctor.do this before anything else.couple years ago i gotta call from a local farmer who raised horses.he told me that honey bees were attacking them by the water trough.but he couldnt figure out where they were coming from.so packed up my suite.the smoker.some sugar water[my secret weapon for swarms]and thought i was gonna get a hive.when i gott there it wasnt honey bees.yellow jackets had built one of the biggest hives undeground i had ever seen.Massive.and the horses were actualy stepping through a part of the underground nest and inrage n them little yellow and black sewing machines with wings.mean little buggers.he couldnt move the trough.i had to.and the bee suit didnt work very well being that its desighned for honey bees.and there size.them yellow jackets would find the vent wholes on my hat..in they would go.nothing like a couple stings on the eyes and nose to give a person perspective.nothing like watching toughend farmers.well seasoned running around yelling and being chased to the house.guess my point is unless you can digg it up find the queen.she will probly stay there for next year.wont suggest poison but unless your willing to be stung...you will have to do something.go online and see what alternatives you have.if they were honey bees i could help.otherwise sorry..admire your willingness to deal with them for this long.seems the insects have a friend indeed.good luck.remember..EPPY PIN..SHOT..just incase.
    Gosh, William, after my own experiences, I can't even imagine how horrible this was for you, the farm hands, the horses. Wow... my heart goes out to you all just hearing about it even though it was years ago.

EPPY PIN..SHOT..just incase. Yes, that's the next level I'd have to go to if I get stung again. But if I don't mow the yard there, they actually won't bother me. I can walk over there and watch them and they don't bother me. It's the mowing that makes them go bonkers. They don't like the vibration; it's not the noise. Even if you use an electric mower, they get all hot and bothered and go on the attack.

I know of several ways to safely get rid of the nest, not using poisons. There is NO POSSIBILITY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD that I would try to dig up the nest and find the queen. Absolutely not!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doodah For This Post:

heretogrow (9th September 2013), northstar (9th September 2013), william r sanford72 (8th September 2013)

9. Link to Post #65
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

doodah..no worrys.that yellow jacket moment.it made me smile when i rememberd it and began realating it to you.the pain was temp.as it always is.bigg hive it was.and only the horses were harmed in my op.they needed to drink.
    heretogrow.doodah summed up my reply.dont get stung unless ya have to.sleepn and waken up to stings.yowser.bee...safe.the honeybees here are kinda inbetween right now..the golden rod is just starting to really bloom.and the last 3 days jumped back up to the mid 90s in temp wise.still the leaves change i little bit everyday.the crickets night song..just a little slower.and not at as full.fall.and the bees are hanging in there.360...inward..outward.focused wave.intent with balance.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Conchis (9th September 2013), doodah (9th September 2013), heretogrow (9th September 2013), northstar (9th September 2013), Star Tsar (9th September 2013)

11. Link to Post #66
    Thanks

Thank you Doodah and William,
    There were twelve yellow jackets in my room yesterday and eight this morning, so tomorrow I will try to get rid of the hive. I sleep in a room that was a dressing/sewing. ironing room just below the attic. It is not really a bedroom and it is not finished. The insulation and lathe are exposed on one wall that leads up to the attic. . Since I taped all of the windows off with plastic and they are still getting in, I think the bees must be coming in from the attic. A few years ago my daughter and me moved in with my mom and dad to put our incomes together and try to make it together because neither family could make it alone. Truly there was not the space nor the bedrooms we needed. But the idea of sharing household expenses sounded good.. So far I have dealt with wasps in the wall, which I had to cut drywall away and remove last fall, mice running down from the rafters to my room and even found a snake skin under my bed. Thank goodness I did not find the actual snake, just the skin! But that was a telltale sign that he had been there. It is not ideal but I have learned to live with it. Compared to the snake skin, I can deal with this. I will use your advice and not feel bad about killing and get rid of the hive. Thank you for easing my mind!!!

Much Love,
    Julia

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heretogrow For This Post:

Atlas (9th September 2013), northstar (9th September 2013), william r sanford72 (9th September 2013)

13. Link to Post #67
    Thanks

so clear tonite.will go out soon to relax.milkyways edge is in full view and splendor..crickets and frogs lull me.the bats dance.360 wave.all around..inward.outward.focus intent.balance into flow.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

heretogrow (9th September 2013), northstar (9th September 2013), silverfish (9th September 2013), Star Tsar (9th September 2013)

15. Link to Post #68
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,993 times in 630 posts

There has been a negative magick spell put on the bees.

Quote Posted by 4Talismans (here)
    I've been hesitant to respond to this thread because the impressions, energy and visuals I get when I'm doing the meditations aren't actually all that pleasant. But it could just be someone here at PA that is responsible. I think we may have someone sending "dirty" energy, because the first day the energy was extremely lighthearted and vivacious. At any rate, they can't get me down. I am a prism, absorbing light and refracting it out into the universe. I am inviting the bees to stay, I am promising them that there are those of us who want to clean up Gaia and there will be more and more of us. i am holding each of you in this thread in my light and intentions.
    So let it be.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MargueriteBee For This Post:

heretogrow (9th September 2013), mab777 (9th September 2013), northstar (9th September 2013), william r sanford72 (9th September 2013)

17. Link to Post #69
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 times in 466 posts

Thanks MargueriteBee. The current perilous state of the world's honeybees could certainly be seen as negative magick. Bee populations are collapsing everywhere and have been on a frightening decline for years.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful contributions to this thread. Could you please share your vision, ideas, prayers, affirmations, etc. to keep this thread positive and vital?

I believe with 100% certainty that souls coming together with "RSA" (remote spiritual assistance) can make a positive difference for the bees.
    Last edited by northstar; 9th September 2013 at 13:15.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to northstar For This Post:

Gardener (14th September 2013), heretogrow (9th September 2013), mab777 (9th September 2013), william r sanford72 (9th September 2013)

19. Link to Post #70
    Thanks

Quote Posted by MargueriteBee (here)
    There has been a negative magick spell put on the bees.

Quote Posted by 4Talismans (here)
    I've been hesitant to respond to this thread because the impressions, energy and visuals I get when I'm doing the meditations aren't actually all that pleasant. But it could just be someone here at PA that is responsible. I think we may have someone sending "dirty" energy, because the first day the energy was extremely lighthearted and vivacious. At any rate, they can't get me down. I am a prism, absorbing light and refracting it out into the universe. I am inviting the bees to stay, I am promising them that there are those of us who want to clean up Gaia and there will be more and more of us. i am holding each of you in this thread in my light and intentions.
    So let it be.
    indeed.so in saying.it can be broken.bent.and even retooled and converted in to a positive vibration.you only state a known problem.that anybody with remote feelings and focus will sense right away.please.help.what would you suggest??there is a negative attack on the pollinators.i wasnt bullsh!ting...i knew this long before avalon.so should we throw in the towl cause its dirty and dangerous work..and lowers the vibe..we are creators..we can raise and convert vibration..or lower them..depends on ones intent.this is what we all were made to do..so lets get busy and focus not on the lower vibe attached to the bees but in converting it into a useable source of enrgy and light.lets kick it back at em!!
    TRUTH and BALANCE

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

doodah (10th September 2013), Gardener (14th September 2013), heretogrow (9th September 2013), northstar (9th September 2013), Star Tsar (9th September 2013)

21. Link to Post #71
    Thanks

hello bee helpers
    my meditation took me along the hedgerows where once the many and varied flowers grew .They now looked stark and grey ...but into my mind came this thread started by nature about scattering seeds I saw us all playing apart in returning the flowers that have been stripped from our countryside . I saw that it is about practical help as well as energetic that is needed . https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...tter-the-seeds

This year many of the veg that I have been growing have gone to seed and produced flowers .Leeks grow the most glorious pompom head which lasted for months and are still going strong also golden oregano. They have both been covered in bees since they've flowered .If you even have a small area of garden that could be planted up with some herbs or wild flowers you would be surprised at how many visitors you get. good time to plan for next year or sow some seeds now for spring.

turning colder here now is it too late to make some bee houses ??

silver

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to silverfish For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th September 2013), Gardener (14th September 2013), heretogrow (9th September 2013), mab777 (9th September 2013), northstar (10th September 2013), william r sanford72 (9th September 2013)

23. Link to Post #72
    Thanks

Hello to all of you beautiful bee charmers!

I hope you don't mind me calling you that, I started referring to my niece as a bee charmer when she was little and would let bumble bees crawl all over her hands so I say it with much admiration. I wish to thank anyone who sent positive intentions to my home and asked the bees to relocate. There was only one bee in my room this morning. I have come to find that the borage and zinnias that I have planted to border the small vegetable garden here are full of honey bees and butterflies. Next year I hope to plant a border of herbs along the back yard. Thank you immensely for the work you are doing and for reminding me to provide food for these little creatures. PS- Bees and butterflies must be friends because I have noticed they share the border flowers quite well! I have added the bees to my list of meditations. I am excited to learn about them so thank you for clarifications on which are pollinators and which are not.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heretogrow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th September 2013), doodah (10th September 2013), Gardener (14th September 2013), northstar (10th September 2013), william r sanford72 (9th September 2013)

25. Link to Post #73
    Thanks

please keep all insects in your prayers as they all are part of the bigger picture .
    the wasps eat aphids and keep the balance and are very good to have round .
    none are more important including us .(imho)

heretogrow good to hear you only had 1 bee this morning !

silver

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to silverfish For This Post:

Atlas (10th September 2013), Bill Ryan (9th September 2013), doodah (10th September 2013), heretogrow (10th September 2013), northstar (10th September 2013), william r sanford72 (9th September 2013)

27. Link to Post #74
    Thanks

heretogrow.also glad you didnt have to kill em.and you didnt get stung.
    was thinking on how to deter such unwanted visitors.ok.honeybee info you might find interesting and might not have known. DRONES are male honey bees. they have no stinger.they do nothing per say productive but donate sperm if a new queens in the area or in there own hive.they are not allowed to overwinter in the hive.around here come late october the workers drive the drones out or just kill them.easy life..then BAM..i always wonder if they know its coming??also thought mother nature..and creator sometimes have an ironic sense of humor when creating balance.so theres a hive life fact for ya.more later...
    TRUTH and BALANCE

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Atlas (11th September 2013), heretogrow (10th September 2013), northstar (10th September 2013), Star Tsar (11th September 2013)

29. Link to Post #75
    United States Avalon Member Conchis's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 times in 273 posts

The killing of the drones is interesting.... the females chew the wings off the males, then push them out of the front of the hive, where they fall on the ground to become fire ant food here. Bees are truly amazing creatures. (Just like all creatures.)

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Conchis For This Post:

Atlas (11th September 2013), heretogrow (10th September 2013), northstar (10th September 2013), Star Tsar (11th September 2013), william r sanford72 (10th September 2013)

31. Link to Post #76
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone for making a really vital thread! I am very much appreciating everyone's stories, meditation, prayers and affirmations.

I LOVE the idea to plant seeds for flowers for the bees! What a simple, easy and effective way for everyone to make a difference!! That is awesome.

I also love the way participants in this thread are taking care of each other and offering their expertise. It feels positive and expanive to me. We are making a difference!

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to northstar For This Post:

doodah (10th September 2013), heretogrow (10th September 2013), silverfish (10th September 2013), Star Tsar (11th September 2013), william r sanford72 (10th September 2013)

33. Link to Post #77
    Thanks

Still no wild honeybees in my area! Just the one I saw a while back. I asked her to invite her sisters to come but I haven't seen any.

Where I live is in a "hollow," which is a high-sided narrow valley running down from a big, wild, forested mountain behind. This is wild native land. This is the middle of the forest, more or less, with just enough land cleared that houses have been built fairly far apart on the narrow valley floor. There are high forested ridges on both sides. Once you're outside the hollow, there are large open fields planted in forage crops. Those fields have been mowed and the crops are now baled in round bales that look like shredded wheat.

There are tons of native wild flowers around here. I mow my grass in crazy patterns that leave what my neighbors call my "weeds," still standing. Those are for the birds and insects. Five years ago, those were buzzing with honeybees.

There are over 400 satellite dishes within a four-mile radius of where I live. Anybody who wants TV reception in the many hollows in this area has satellite dishes. (Imagine a valley, a ridge, another valley, a ridge, another valley, etc., with people living on those valley floors. That's what it's like here.) I don't have TV, no dish, but I am surrounded by them. The man across the road has 3 dishes in his yard. (Fortunately they're not pointing at my house.) I've wondered for a long time whether the radio frequencies those dishes channel is associated with the lack of honeybees. I still have lots of bumblebees and butterflies and other flying insects, although the WASP population has also seriously declined this year. There are not many nests.

I don't know that anyone in this hollow is or has been a beekeeper. Several beekeepers 10 miles or so away from my hollow report that they do have honeybees, but these are not the wild native honeybees, I don't think, which should be here.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to doodah For This Post:

northstar (10th September 2013), silverfish (11th September 2013), Star Tsar (11th September 2013), william r sanford72 (10th September 2013)

35. Link to Post #78
    Thanks

whoops.just read through buares last post.ya already mentioned drones.dang nab it.well good job with that basic info.never ocured to me until last night that people might be interested in hive life and there basic biology.still have much to learn...Ok..try again..some info you might find interesting.the queen is the only fully formed true female in the hive.the workers are basicly female..without the proper plumbing to mate and lay eggs.this however can change.under stress and without a queen long enough a worker bee can begin to lay eggs.but..they will all be drones.not a happy hive and on its way to collapse and fail.die.a simple way to stop this because its impossable to find the laying worker amoung the thousands i was taught a simple but time consuming method to rid yourself of the laying worker ..is to empty the hive compleatly frame by frame atleast a hundred feet from where the hive sits.also would need to brush the hives and supers down to.the laying worker cant fly.to loaded down with eggs.and has almost no chance of reaching the hive again.not sure why that is.but it does work.i have done it about 3 times in 12 years.worked everytime.just make sure u have a new queen handy or plan on taking the queenless hive and adding it to a hive that could use the bump of workers.or just about any hive you have as long as its not already overcrowded.well enough info for now.more next time.and hopefully more thought out.360.wave.inward.. then outward..focused intent.balance into flow...
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 11th September 2013 at 04:31.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Atlas (11th September 2013), Conchis (11th September 2013), northstar (11th September 2013), Star Tsar (11th September 2013)

37. Link to Post #79
    Thanks

did you know honey NEVER SPOILS?? if at the right moisture content it can LAST for a THOUSAND YEARS or more.and still could bee eaten.not only is this the only food harvested by man from a insect.. the only known food that doesnt spoil.fact.the bees..talkn through time..wonder what they bee saying??..truly a blessed insect meant to teach us through out the ages.best gett ta learning....
    TRUTH and BALANCE

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

doodah (11th September 2013), northstar (11th September 2013), Star Tsar (11th September 2013)

39. Link to Post #80
    Thanks

Quote Posted by william r sanford72 (here)
    did you know honey NEVER SPOILS?? if at the right moisture content it can LAST for a THOUSAND YEARS or more.and still could bee eaten.not only is this the only food harvested by man from a insect.. the only known food that doesnt spoil.fact.the bees..talkn through time..wonder what they bee saying??..truly a blessed insect meant to teach us through out the ages.best gett ta learning....

awesome, William, and so very true!
    Natural, unpasturized honey has incredible healing powers too.
    Also, beeswax is one of the main ingredients in many natural skin products. I have been taking herbalism classes for a few years and all of the natural salves and creams we make have a beeswax base.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to northstar For This Post:

doodah (11th September 2013), william r sanford72 (11th September 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst 1 4 14 54 98 LastLast