+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst 1 7 17 57 98 LastLast

Thread: Calling all light warriors - the Bees need you!

1. Link to Post #121
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 times in 466 posts

Default Re: Calling all light warriors - the Bees need you!

Quote Posted by silverfish (here)
    Quote i tend to only maintain the equip and housing for em.dont rob em and let em do there thing unless i sense something in the hives then i dig in and have a look.they are my wild bees..i just provide em a home.and they dont have to worry about me robbing em.
    thankyou William for what you provide for "your" bees .
    if I had a chance this is what I would like to do. it makes me very happy to hear
    also thanks for keeping this thread alive

things have really quietened down here (I m in Scotland ) the temp has dropped, not too cold but damp
    and have noticed a sharp decrease of insect activity but I keep them in my thoughts as I know so many others do
    bee happy mr bee man
    silver

I agree, I LOVE reading about William's bees!!

I am also thinking about the flow of the seasons, as the temperature drops here in Canada and I reluctantly pack my summer clothes away, I think about the bees and the cold months ahead.

Yes, doodah! The long winter ahead will give us time to plan what "bee friendly" flowers to plant. For those who might be open to planting clover, red clover has remarkable medicinal properties but white clover has no medicinal properties. (I have been studying herbalism for a few years) so if anyone plants clover, I strongly recommend red clover because it can be used in many ways as a medicinal plant.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to northstar For This Post:

Gardener (25th September 2013), karelia (25th September 2013), silverfish (25th September 2013), william r sanford72 (26th September 2013)

3. Link to Post #122
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,075 times in 1,638 posts

To bee or not to bee that is the question!

There was a big picture of bees in Metro yesterday showing bees "holding hands and feet" in a row to deliver food and try to cover a big hole in their hive. Soooo cute!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to transiten For This Post:

northstar (25th September 2013), william r sanford72 (26th September 2013)

5. Link to Post #123
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,405 times in 466 posts

Quote Posted by transiten (here)
    To bee or not to bee that is the question!

There was a big picture of bees in Metro yesterday showing bees "holding hands and feet" in a row to deliver food and try to cover a big hole in their hive. Soooo cute!
    That is so awesome, I would love to see it! Is there an online link?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to northstar For This Post:

william r sanford72 (26th September 2013)

7. Link to Post #124
    Thanks

I don't know actually, it was a newspaper on the tram. Try to google, maybee there are pictures on internet somewhere

You know, i could feel you're a woman from your posts, funny thing is that on another forum when i had no picture a guy thought i was male from my "writing style"...
    Last edited by transiten; 25th September 2013 at 18:56.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to transiten For This Post:

northstar (26th September 2013), william r sanford72 (26th September 2013)

9. Link to Post #125
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

In the United States alone, honey bee colonies are mainly used for almond production. 60% of all honey bee colonies in the United States are used strictly for almond production!!

I think that it is necessary for everyone to have a glimpse of what exactly is killing off the bees. In reality, it is a multitude of issues all converging at this time in our history. Just as all the things that we see going on in the world converging that directly affect humanity (solar flares, Earth changes, possible EMP threats, magnetic field changes, consciousness raising, and everything else the Cabal has been concerned about for a while now), the bees are feeling much of the same affects.

Much of honey bee decline is obviously human caused:
    • Chemicals (fungicides, pesticides, etc.)
    • Monoculture (lack of pollen diversity for food source)
    • Deforestation (lack of habitat)

But we also have to look at other factors that affect them indirectly:
    • Magnetic changes (because bees navigate through magnetic fields of the earth and sun, changes in the earth and sun will cause the bees to get lost and fail to return back to the colony))
    • Parasites (weakening of bees from all other factors provide opportunities for parasites to take advantage of them)
    • Loss of diversity (in biological terms, raising bees and interbreeding them causes a constriction of their genome which limits their effectiveness in adaptability)

Here is a pretty good link that describes their situation:

http://qz.com/107970/scientists-disc...n-you-thought/

The message that we should all take when considering the plight of the bees is that there are some things that we cannot control. Just as we cannot fight the coming natural Earth changes and frequency shift, the honey bees cannot fight them either.

BUT the best thing that humanity could do to help bees--or any organism for the matter--is to live chemical-free and to live in such a way where our presence does not hinder their daily activities. In other words, in order for us to be affective in conservation, we need to focus on human conservation (watching our impact on Gaia).

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Gardener (25th September 2013), northstar (26th September 2013), william r sanford72 (26th September 2013)

11. Link to Post #126
    Thanks

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Gardener (25th September 2013), northstar (26th September 2013), ThePythonicCow (26th September 2013), william r sanford72 (26th September 2013)

13. Link to Post #127
    Thanks

I am very much interested in this topic as I am currently doing native bee research in West Texas. What most people do not realize is that the honey bee is not native to the US, but was brought over from Europe when America was colonized.

Here are some facts:
    • Most native bees are solitary and do not form colonies.
    • Because they are solitary, native bees do not have a queen.
    • Native bees do not make honey, but instead collect pollen and feed it to their young.
    • Native bees DO NOT need to be managed by humans.
    • Only females have stingers, and because they don't have queens, it is very unlikely you will be stung.
    • The smallest bee is ~2mm (Trigona minima)
    • The largest bee is ~39 mm (Megachile pluto)
    • Some different types of bees are Mason bees, Sweat bees, Carpenter bees, Leafcutter bees, Andrenid bees, and Bumble bees
    • Most native bees either nest in the soil or in decaying wood.
    • There are 20,000 known species of bees in the whole world.
    • The US has over 4,000 different species.
    • Some bee species only come out for 2 weeks out of the whole year to pollinate one specific flower (hibernates the rest of the year)
    • Some native bee species can live up to three years
    • Native bees pollinate our crops without being managed (they provide a free service!)

I can't stress enough how important native bees are to our well-being. Because they offer a free service to pollination of our crops and do not need to be managed, we should be focusing on their conservation.

Here is a useful link:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5306468.pdf

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Gardener (11th October 2013), mischief (30th September 2013), northstar (26th September 2013), ThePythonicCow (25th September 2013), william r sanford72 (26th September 2013)

15. Link to Post #128
    Thanks

For Immediate Release
    7/16/13
    Contact – Patrick Malone (Blumenauer): (202)492-6172
    Scott Black (Xerces): (503)232-6639 ext. 101

Blumenauer, Conyers Introduce Save America’s Pollinator Act

Washington, DC – Today, Representative Earl Blumenauer (OR-03) joined Representative John Conyers (MI-13) in introducing The Save America's Pollinators Act. The legislation suspends certain uses of neonicotinoids, a particular type of pesticide that is suspected to play a role in the bee die-offs happening in Oregon and around the world, until the Environmental Protection Agency reviews these chemicals and makes a new determination about their proper application and safe use. Dinotefuran, the neonicotinoid ingredient found in Safari insecticide, is blamed for last month’s mass die-off of an estimated 50,000 bumble bees in Wilsonville, OR – the largest such die-off ever recorded. The Oregon Department of Agriculture is investigating the die-off and is temporarily restricting the use of 18 pesticide products containing dinotefuran.

“Pollinators are not only vital to a sustainable environment, but key to a stable food supply,” Blumenauer said. “When incidents like the alarming mass bee die-off of in Wilsonville, Oregon occur, it is imperative that we take a step back to make sure we understand all the factors involved and move swiftly to prevent similar tragedies from happening in the future.”

“Honey bees have been suffering rapid population losses for over a decade now,” said Conyers. “Another decade of these mass die-offs will severely threaten our agricultural economy and food supply system. It is critical and extremely necessary that we immediately begin to examine the death of honey bees and quickly take action to secure our food supply system.”

“It is time for the Environmental Protection Agency to take a stronger stance on pollinator protection.” said Scott Hoffman Black, Executive Director of the Xerces Society. “The European Union has put restrictions in place on several neonicotinoids -- we need a similar response here.”

Blumenauer has long sought federal funding for increased research on pollinators, protections for declining bee populations, and is the co-founder and co-chair of the Congressional Pollinators Caucus. Scott Hoffman Black, Executive Director of the Xerces Society, joined the Congressman for a press conference in Portland where he discussed the specifics of the Oregon die-off and how to prevent future incidents. Lori Vollmer, the owner of Garden Fever nursery in Portland, also made a presentation. She chose to stop selling neonicotinoid products after the Wilsonville disaster.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Gardener (11th October 2013), northstar (26th September 2013), william r sanford72 (26th September 2013)

17. Link to Post #129
    Thanks

For all of you musicians out there--or anyone for the matter--here is a delightful rendition of "This Land is Your Land". The lyrics are changed to pollination and the plight of the bees. It's quite fun to play and sing and children love it!

http://www.mbgnet.net/pfg/cycles/song2.htm#one

Lyrics (To the tune of "This Land is Your Land"):

What does a plant need
    To make a new seed?
    Three things give flowers
    Reproductive powers -
    the sticky pollen,
    the slender stamen,
    and pistils make the flower whole.

What gets the pollen going
    To keep new plants growing?
    Different kinds of birds do,
    Or the wind that's blowing.
    Butterflies and bees,
    Carry pollen they need
    That's what makes pollination work.

If a flower's not scented,
    Not brightly colored,
    And the flowers are smaller
    In clusters tighter
    With stamens longer
    the signs are stronger
    That plant spreads pollen on the wind.

When bright colored flowers
    Have a sweet perfume
    And a sugary nectar
    Then chances are good
    That birds and insects active
    Find the plants attractive
    And they'll spread the pollen as they go.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

northstar (26th September 2013), william r sanford72 (26th September 2013)

19. Link to Post #130
    Thanks

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Atlas (2nd October 2013), Gardener (11th October 2013), northstar (26th September 2013), Star Tsar (26th September 2013), william r sanford72 (26th September 2013)

21. Link to Post #131
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

samwise..you rock!!thank you for all the post.wow.it really came to life.hope you visit more and hang.and hope you post more.agree about the native pollenators.and will check out the link.there need is as important and maybe more.as said before maybe the honeybees.bumblesbees are a warning we humans might pay att to.leading us to look deeper.to the natives.and other insects.still love my girls thoe.honeybees that is.
    Last edited by william r sanford72; 26th September 2013 at 04:44.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

22. The Following User Says Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

northstar (26th September 2013)

23. Link to Post #132
    Thanks

another clear wonderful day.the blooms seem to get so scarce this time of year so fast.there than gone.i let everything go wild this year.about hundred feet from house and only mowed one time in the spring.it was wild gettn to the clothline until we had a path laid down.it looked pretty wild out here on the farm and thoe it didnt look pretty in the way managed yards do it felt..well cleaner??more balanced at the very least.the bees and insects.birds.wildlife..that escaped the doggs. and my chickens all loved it.and no one in the house asked me why.my tribe already new without even asking.and not one complaint.so not sure what the bees are working.there window for foraging is about to close real soon.will go out and watch tomarrow and report back.everything is winding down.northstar unpacking her winter clothes already.ah well rest time for the land.ps..the grass hoppers this year..so many..i have never seen em like this.early this spring i walked the west alfalfa field befor it woke up from winter real good and found thousands apon thousand of there hatched egg casings.so many i wasnt sure what they were so i took some home and researched em.i couldnt believe it.also they all had hatched. this wasnt isolated to just here it seems.gettn the balance right is an on going non stop intent and work in progress for me.360 wave.inward.outward.balance into flow.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

Gardener (11th October 2013), northstar (28th September 2013)

25. Link to Post #133
    Thanks

wonderful cool clean rain today.a real rain.we havnt had a real good soaking in months.dry as a bone.welcome this relief.the wasp are gathering even more.i removed about a dozen yesterday.seems they have chosen are bedroom to hibernate or die.seems everytime in the last 2 weeks i do a cleansing smudge with sage that the insects seem to come a calling.first for me.not sure what is going on yet.feeling it out.anyways......360..balance..into flow.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

northstar (29th September 2013), Star Tsar (28th September 2013)

27. Link to Post #134
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

My Keenan claims to have once been bitten not stung but bitten by a Bee, Can a human be bitten by a Bee is this possible?
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

northstar (29th September 2013), william r sanford72 (30th September 2013)

29. Link to Post #135
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Tsar (here)
    My Keenan claims to have once been bitten not stung but bitten by a Bee, Can a human be bitten by a Bee is this possible?
    not a honeybee.but...bumblebees and wasp.and yellowjackets can bite.i know a wasp and bumblebee can for sure.but comparing it to there stings you tend not to notice.atleast i dont.hes right to a point.guess the bee was kind to em.rather a bite.than sting with venom.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

northstar (29th September 2013), Star Tsar (29th September 2013)

31. Link to Post #136
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

Thanks William he did say Bumblebee actually!!! WOW our Bees, The Insect World & Keenan NEVER fail to amaze me...
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

northstar (29th September 2013), william r sanford72 (29th September 2013)

33. Link to Post #137
    Thanks

Yesterday after having checked this thread i went to my "allotment" a communal place where we can grow plants and veggies and also keep bees, rabbits and dogs. There was this one little bee sitting on the case where i keep the tools for gardening. First i thought it was injured or had got someething sticky on it's legs since it was rubbing them in a curious way and i watched it for at least 5 minutes but finally it took off! I never saw a bee acting like that or sitting in an "out of element place" in all these 20 years i've had this place.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to transiten For This Post:

Gardener (11th October 2013), northstar (29th September 2013), Star Tsar (29th September 2013), william r sanford72 (29th September 2013)

35. Link to Post #138
    Thanks

Yesterday after having checked this thread i went to my "allotment" a communal place where we can grow plants and veggies and also keep bees, rabbits and dogs. There was this one little bee sitting on the case where i keep the tools for gardening. First i thought it was injured or had got someething sticky on it's legs since it was rubbing them in a curious way and i watched it for at least 5 minutes but finally it took off! I never saw a bee acting like that or sitting in an "out of element place" in all these 20 years i've had this place.
    Very well could have had a parasite attaching itself to the bee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._the_honey_bee
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

northstar (29th September 2013), Star Tsar (29th September 2013), transiten (29th September 2013), william r sanford72 (29th September 2013)

37. Link to Post #139
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Tsar (here)
    From Wikipedia:
    Most adult Hymenoptera have mandibles that follow the general form, as in grasshoppers. The mandibles are used to clip pieces of vegetation, gather wood fibers, dig nests, or to capture and disassemble prey. What is unusual is that many Hymenoptera have the remaining mouthparts modified to form a proboscis (a "tongue" used to feed on liquids), making them virtually the only insects that normally possess both chewing mouthparts and sucking mouthparts (a few exceptional members of other orders may exhibit this, such as flower-feeding beetles that also have "tongues").
    Bees do have the capability of biting, but their mandibles are mainly used for making nests. All bees do have mandibles, just like all insects.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

"Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

northstar (29th September 2013), Star Tsar (29th September 2013), william r sanford72 (29th September 2013)

39. Link to Post #140
    Thanks

glad you gott a visit.pretty cool.
    TRUTH and BALANCE

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

northstar (29th September 2013), transiten (29th September 2013)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 98 FirstFirst 1 7 17 57 98 LastLast