+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Comparison Between Zeno of Citium and Carl Jung: the Four Stages of Enlightenment

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Default A Comparison Between Zeno of Citium and Carl Jung: the Four Stages of Enlightenment

[Hello everyone, and sorry about all the war talk recently. Try to keep a stiff upper lip and enjoy life in the meantime.]

The Four Stages of Enlightenment: Comparing the Beliefs of Two Scholars from Different Times

Zeno of Citius and Carl Jung of Switzerland

note: Zeno and Carl Jung grew up somewhat similarly, in that Cyprus and Switzerland respectively are very isolated. They were at the same time inundated in the completeness of life and yet left with an insatiable desire to discover the rest of the world.

I was surprised today while reading Wikipedia's entry on Zeno of Citius, a preeminent Cyprian scholar born a few hundred years before Christ. Zeno was the founder of the Stoic school of thinking, which is hereby defined:

Quote Based on the moral ideas of the Cynics, Stoicism laid great emphasis on goodness and peace of mind gained from living a life of Virtue in accordance with Nature.
    Toward the bottom, the article describes some of Zeno's teachings -- I was struck by a particular line, which I will quote here:

Quote Zeno said that there were four stages in the process leading to true knowledge, which he illustrated with the example of the flat, extended hand, and the gradual closing of the fist:
    Zeno stretched out his fingers, and showed the palm of his hand, – "Perception," – he said, – "is a thing like this."- Then, when he had closed his fingers a little, – "Assent is like this." – Afterwards, when he had completely closed his hand, and showed his fist, that, he said, was Comprehension. From which simile he also gave that state a new name, calling it katalepsis (κατάληψις). But when he brought his left hand against his right, and with it took a firm and tight hold of his fist: – "Knowledge" – he said, was of that character; and that was what none but a wise person possessed.[33]
    Zeno in the above passages defines four stages:

Quote Perception
    Assent
    Comprehension
    Knowledge
    Now, most of you know who Carl Jung is (or was!): a preeminent Swiss scholar and doctor who went on to establish his own school of thought, Jungian Psychology. He was hugely influenced by the knowledge of the ancient alchemists -- both those who lived prior to Zeno and those who came later in Europe -- which led to his popularization of the "4 Colors of Alchemy", a metaphor similar to that used by Zeno.

Carl Jung ascribed to an ancient system describing the four stages of enlightenment according to the following colors:

Quote According to Aristotle, each element had a sphere to which it belonged and to which it would return if left undisturbed.[38] The four elements of the Greek were mostly qualitative aspects of matter, not quantitative, as our modern elements are.

"...True alchemy never regarded earth, air, water, and fire as corporeal or chemical substances in the present-day sense of the word. The four elements are simply the primary, and most general, qualities by means of which the amorphous and purely quantitative substance of all bodies first reveals itself in differentiated form."

Main article: Magnum opus (alchemy)
    The Great Work of Alchemy is often described as a series of four stages represented by colors.

nigredo, a blackening or melanosis
    albedo, a whitening or leucosis
    citrinitas, a yellowing or xanthosis
    rubedo, a reddening, purpling, or iosis
    [113]

I do enjoy the alchemical version a lot, and you should read Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "the Lady of Shalot" in this context, but I think I prefer Zeno's visual explanation of the evolution of the human mind.

I hope you guys enjoy the above and excuse the brevity of this post. My damned husband decided to turn on the TV lol.

2. Link to Post #2
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: A Comparison Between Zeno of Citium and Carl Jung: the Four Stages of Enlightenment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemy

Quote Francis Melville, in his translation of the Arabic Book of the Composition of Alchemy, commented on the Emerald Tablet and the Hermetic texts by stating, “Here was an ancient body of theological, philosophical, scientific, and medical writings of extraordinary beauty, intellectual power, and spiritual authority, in which Jews, Christians, and Muslims could find confirmations, amplifications, and refinements of their own sacred teachings.”
    Quote http://jungiancenter.org/essay/jung%...chemy-our-time

Jung’s intuition was no less impressive about collective situations. In 1913, Jung sensed the “atmosphere” of Europe was “darkening,” and there was “something in the air,” something that felt oppressive in concrete reality, not just in his unconscious.[17] In October of that year, Jung had a prophetic vision which he described in his memoir:

... I was suddenly seized by an overpowering vision: I saw a monstrous flood covering all the northern and low-lying lands between the North Sea and the Alps. When it came up to Switzerland I saw that the mountains grew higher and higher to protect our country. I realized that a frightful catastrophe was in progress. I saw the mighty yellow waves, the floating rubble of civilization, and the drowned bodies of uncounted thousands. Then the whole sea turned to blood. This vision lasted about an hour.... Two weeks passed; then the vision recurred, under the same conditions, even more vividly than before, and the blood was more emphasized. An inner voice spoke. “Look at it well; it is wholly real and it will be so. You cannot doubt it.”[18]

When Jung was asked later in the year what he thought were the prospects for Europe’s future, he replied that he “had no thoughts on the matter,” but added that he had seen rivers of blood.[19] In the Spring of 1914 he had three dreams in which Europe was covered with ice and all the vegetation was killed by frost. World War I broke out 2 months after the last of the three dreams.[20]
    Last edited by Tesla_WTC_Solution; 4th September 2013 at 03:58.

3. Link to Post #3
    Portugal Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,751 times in 1,168 posts

Default Re: A Comparison Between Zeno of Citium and Carl Jung: the Four Stages of Enlightenment

Zeno said that there were four stages in the process leading to true knowledge, which he illustrated with the example of the flat, extended hand, and the gradual closing of the fist:

Zeno stretched out his fingers, and showed the palm of his hand, – "Perception," – he said, – "is a thing like this."- Then, when he had closed his fingers a little, – "Assent is like this." – Afterwards, when he had completely closed his hand, and showed his fist, that, he said, was Comprehension. From which simile he also gave that state a new name, calling it katalepsis (κατάληψις). But when he brought his left hand against his right, and with it took a firm and tight hold of his fist: – "Knowledge" – he said, was of that character; and that was what none but a wise person possessed.[33]

-----------------------------

The closing of the fist is the symbol of the Alchemical marriage...of the 2 «energies»...Gold-Masculine Silver-Feminine within a Man. The balance of the two, after the path of self knowledge, the Dark Night...another term of symbol for the Nigredo Stage of the Opus Magum...

l

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MariaDine For This Post:

Delight (4th September 2013), Ernie Nemeth (4th September 2013), karamba (4th September 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (4th September 2013)

5. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

In 1958 Jung warned people that “an archetype was stirring in a way that was characteristic for ‘the end of an era.’”[22] He knew of the lore in mundane astrology[23] that posits a shift from the Piscean to the Aquarian age and Jung spoke of the upheavals and great changes we can expect during such a major transition. Few people had listened to Jung previously, when he warned of the coming of the two world wars so he had no illusions that he would be heard in 1958, when Cold War concerns so preoccupied the collective mind. But he felt compelled to speak up.[24]

------------------------
    He «tapped» to the collective unconscious where all Humanity though forms exist.....and keep changing...so,there is a probability that we All may choose to experience a different fate then that ...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MariaDine For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (4th September 2013), Tesla_WTC_Solution (4th September 2013)

7. Link to Post #5
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Thank you for that! I didn't know about the fist/alchemical marriage symbol..

I did make the connection between Jung's vision and the culmination of the Cold War, which we are seeing before our eyes

8. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Tesla_WTC_Solution;724765]Thank you for that! I didn't know about the fist/alchemical marriage symbol..

------------------------

«...he brought his left hand against his right, and with it took a firm and tight hold of his fist: – "Knowledge" – he said, was of that character; and that was what none but a wise person possessed.[33]»

Sorry...I didn't quote correctly...the symbol of marriage is of the one hand holding the other hand that is in fist position.

Ancient source...the mudra of shiva linga

...and the mudra for insight

Last edited by MariaDine; 4th September 2013 at 19:09.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MariaDine For This Post:

Tesla_WTC_Solution (4th September 2013)

10. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Thank you for this.
    I think on prisonplanet I actually made fun of the Shiva Linga without realizing what it really meant before the SS corrupted it.

11. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Tesla_WTC_Solution (here)
    Thank you for this.
    I think on prisonplanet I actually made fun of the Shiva Linga without realizing what it really meant before the SS corrupted it.
    ???---you lost me there...LOL

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MariaDine For This Post:

Tesla_WTC_Solution (4th September 2013)

13. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

The Swastika is apparently one of the Shiva life symbols.
    I did some reading a few years ago on the SS deathshead cult and found some strange links to Indian lore.
    It's like the SS was using ancient sun worship mythos to strengthen their own occultism.

It's worth researching! You'd be creeped out by some of it.

Quote The term Black Sun (German Schwarze Sonne), also referred to as the Sonnenrad (the German for "Sun Wheel"), is a symbol of esoteric and occult significance. Its design is based on a sun wheel incorporated in a floor of Wewelsburg Castle during the Nazi era. Today, it may also be used in occult currents of Germanic neopaganism, and in Irminenschaft or Armanenschaft-inspired esotericism - but not necessarily in a racial or neo-Nazi context. Despite its contemporary use, the Black Sun had not been identified with the ornament in the Wewelsburg before 1991, although it had been discussed as an esoteric concept in neo-Nazi circles since the 1950s.[1]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva

Quote Shiva forms a Tantric couple with Shakti, the embodiment of energy and dynamism, and the motivating force behind all action and existence in the material universe. Shiva is her transcendent masculine aspect, providing the divine ground of all being. Shakti manifests in several female deities. Sati and Parvati are the main consorts of Shiva, but she is also manifested as Uma, Durga (Parvata), Kali and Chandika.[141] Kali is the manifestation of Shakti in her dreadful aspect. The name Kali comes from kāla, which means black, time, death, lord of death, Shiva. Since Shiva is called Kāla, the eternal time, Kālī, his consort, also means "Time" or "Death" (as in "time has come"). Various Shakta Hindu cosmologies, as well as Shākta Tantric beliefs, worship her as the ultimate reality or Brahman. She is also revered as Bhavatārini (literally "redeemer of the universe"). Kālī is represented as the consort of Lord Shiva, on whose body she is often seen standing or dancing. Shiva is the masculine force, the power of peace, while Shakti translates to power, and is considered as the feminine force. In the Vaishnava tradition, these realities are portrayed as Vishnu and Laxmi, or Radha and Krishna. These are differences in formulation rather than a fundamental difference in the principles. Both Shiva and Shakti have various forms. Shiva has forms like Yogi Raj (the common image of Himself meditating in the Himalayas), Rudra (a wrathful form) and Nataraj (performing the dance of destruction).[142]
    This is why the Lingam was corrupted for use at White Sands as well, in my opinion. Nuclear bomb worship in the USA equates in my mind to a corruption of Shiva and Kali worship, where the destructive forces of nature are held in higher honor than the constructive or generative forces.

crazy thread I made on PP years ago: http://forum.prisonplanet.com/index.php?topic=222237.0

Quote SS Scientific Corps[edit source | editbeta]
    Main article: Ahnenerbe
    The Scientific Branch of the SS that was used to provide scientific and archeological proof of Aryan supremacy. Formed in 1935 by Himmler and Herman Wirth, the society did not become part of the SS until 1939.
    I think they fancied themselves the children of the destroyer.

Last edited by Tesla_WTC_Solution; 4th September 2013 at 19:38.

14. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

Shiva and Shakti are also a symbol of the divine marriage.
    Literal interpretation must be dismissed. One should dismiss disinformation that is spread to create fear and remove one from one's true path.
    Sacred wisdom is occult for a reason
    Energy is neutral. Duality is an illusion, a game. Duality only makes sense in 3D and it keeps one prisoner to belief systems . One must recognize the duality in order to let it go.

Kali is the symbol of the eternal destruction of the Universes. An archetype

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archetype

Not a deity... deities are human constructions.
    Last edited by MariaDine; 4th September 2013 at 20:08.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MariaDine For This Post:

Tesla_WTC_Solution (5th September 2013)

16. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks

One of C. G. Jung’s treatises makes clear just with its title what Alchemy is about: it’s titled, in Latin, Mysterium Coniuctionis, that is to say, the “Mystery of Coniuctio” (of the Conjunction, of the Union, of the Marriage). Every work was striving towards that goal. The fruit of this Wedding -we are told- was the “Real Son”, the “Son of Wisdom” or the “Philosopher’s Son”: it is the Rebis -the Androgyne-, being rebis a Latin word that, appropriately, is the result of the conjunction of two others: Res+bis, the “Double Thing”.
    In the alchemy texts, this Rebis is often embodied by the figure of a child: the “Divine Child” or the “Perfect Child” or “Hermaphrodite Child” (a child with both sexes), also called “Eternal Child” or Infans Noster (“Our Infant”), or Sun–and–Moon Child. “The perfect state melts sponsu and sponsa into one figure, the sun–and–moon child” writes Jung… But here the point is: in this Coniuctio, in this High Wedding, who are the spouses?
    In his capacity as psychologist of the depths, Jung’s guess is that the spouses are the two separated halves of the human soul, the anima and the animus. But despite having interpreted the alchemical work from a psychological point of view, Jung left the door open for interpretations of a different nature. In fact, he seems to go much further than such point of view when, near the end of his life, he claimed: “Somewhere, sometime, there was a Queen, a King, a Palace; a Loved Man and a Loved Woman, a long time ago, over the Sea, on an Island… It is Love, it is the Mystical Flower of the Soul, it is the Centre, it is the Self”.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Javblanc For This Post:

leavesoftrees (22nd December 2022), Vicus (21st December 2022)

+ Reply to Thread