+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: The Pacific NW Cascadia Big One is Due, Quake Expert Says

1. Link to Post #61
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,260 times in 1,397 posts

Default Re: The Pacific NW Cascadia Big One is Due, Quake Expert Says

I never had dreams of tsunamis but I did have a repeating dream as a youth of water receding and me playing out in it. I never tied it together with a tsunami though until the big one that effected so much of the world and I saw the videos. Then it was that "Ahha" moment as they say.
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), onawah (14th January 2020), Pam (20th January 2020)

3. Link to Post #62
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,974 times in 20,621 posts

One of the things I found very interesting that was in the video in post #1 of this thread is that there is a whole new industry now for people looking for ways to survive a tsunami.
    They are buying big waterproof, reinforced metal balls that they can strap themselves into, lock the door from the inside, and hopefully survive until they land somewhere safe or get rescued.
    I would imagine a ride like that could challenge even an astronaut!

(Imagine getting swept back out to sea in one of those things...I think they should include paddles.)
    There are different sizes, some can hold just 1 or 2 people, others can hold 10--(perhaps there are larger ones too) and some with lots of "mod cons":
    http://survival-capsule.com/Products.html

Quote We currently have five capsule models available or planned for manufacture and sale. Our model matrix defines the various models, including seating arrangements and other building specifications.
    SC2001 Capacity – 2 Adults
    SC4001 Capacity – 4 Adults
    SC6001 Capacity – 6 Adults
    SC8001 Capacity – 8 Adults
    SC10001 Capacity – 10 Adults
    The Survival Capsule comes with many standard features and a few optional extras.
    Designed by aircraft engineers
    Tested to extremes
    Different occupancy models to choose from
    Storage provided for supplies and water
    Dual hatch design
    Locator beacon
    Tethered option
    Multi-hook points on outer surface
    High strength; low weight
    Thermal protection
    Dry shelter for use post-disaster
    Affordable
    The Survival Capsule is a patent-pending, personal safety system (PSS) designed as a spherical ball to protect against tsunami events, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and storm surges.
    Using a PSS, as opposed to a municipal safety system like a safe house, allows individual groups and families to be more in control of their survival in an emergency situation. The capsule is also a variable disaster solution, which means it can vary position according to the water depth, so it will never be inundated by water levels rising too high. It also provides warmth, safety, and shelter during the initial post-disaster period before rescue crews and relief workers have arrived on the scene.
    Built with strength and survivability in mind, by a team of experienced aerospace engineers, the survival capsule will operate safely and efficiently in the harsh circumstances and environments to which a natural disaster would expose it. The sphere will withstand the initial impact of a natural disaster, as well as sharp object penetration, heat exposure, blunt object impact, and rapid deceleration.
    We’ve designed the capsule to be mounted inside or outside the home or business establishment. The capsules come in various sizes ranging from two-person capacity all the way up to a ten-person capacity. The smaller capsules are suitable for private dwellings and family homes. The larger capsules are designed for municipal buildings, businesses, hospitals, airports, schools and general public safe havens.
    Standard Features
    Safety Seating with Four-Point Harness Straps
    Storage Space (sufficient for five day’s supply per person)
    Multiple Counter Sunk Hoisting Points
    Water Storage (bladder or tank)
    Basic Internal Light
    GPS (Global Positioning System)
    Air Ventilation Vents
    Capsule Storage Stand
    Basic, High-Visibility Unit Color
    Air Supply Tanks (one for each occupant)
    Hard Restraint Support
    Solid, Watertight Marine Door (opens from inside and outside)
    Marine Standard Window
    Capsule2
    Optional Features
    Surround Sound Music System
    Additional Storage
    Multiple Capsule Stacking System
    Dry Powder Seat Toilet
    Additional Internal Lighting
    Solar Panel Array
    Additional Internal Insulation (acoustic and thermal)
    Ground and Rooftop Tether System
    Color Options
    Kind of like big hamster ball, only propelled by the tsunami

Then there's these Bumper Balls :

And this Water Walking Human Hamster Ball :

I guess for some of us, contemplating disasters tends to warp our sense of humor.
    Maybe I should just post this in the "You Must Laugh at Least Once a Day" thread.
    Each breath a gift...

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), Meryl (20th January 2020), Pam (20th January 2020)

5. Link to Post #63
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,560 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    One of the things I found very interesting that was in the video in post #1 of this thread is that there is a whole new industry now for people looking for ways to survive a tsunami.
    They are buying big waterproof, reinforced metal balls that they can strap themselves into, lock the door from the inside, and hopefully survive until they land somewhere safe or get rescued.
    No kidding. There seems to be good fighter-pilot (or racecar-driver) seat belts for the people, but I'd not envy the poor little dog in there.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

justntime2learn (20th January 2020), onawah (15th January 2020), Pam (20th January 2020), rgray222 (22nd April 2023), Yoda (15th January 2020)

7. Link to Post #64
    Language
    English
    Thanks

If the owner of a small dog was holding it, it might get squeezed to death by the terrified owner, for one thing.
    One hates to imagine what might befall a small child.

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    No kidding. There seems to be good fighter-pilot (or racecar-driver) seat belts for the people, but I'd not envy the poor little dog in there.
    Each breath a gift...

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), ExomatrixTV (1st February 2024), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), Pam (20th January 2020), rgray222 (22nd April 2023)

9. Link to Post #65
    Thanks

If the owner of a small dog was holding it, it might get squeezed to death by the terrified owner, for one thing.
    That's very true. I presume the designers have child-seat and baby-carriage options (with smaller seatbelts, etc), but maybe not!

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (1st February 2024), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), Pam (20th January 2020), rgray222 (22nd April 2023), Yoda (15th January 2020)

11. Link to Post #66
    Language
    English
    Thanks

No doubt something could be custom-made, if not, but even so, what a traumatic experience for a child!
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    That's very true. I presume the designers have child-seat and baby-carriage options (with smaller seatbelts, etc), but maybe not!
    Each breath a gift...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th January 2020), ExomatrixTV (1st February 2024), Pam (20th January 2020), rgray222 (22nd April 2023)

13. Link to Post #67
    Australia Avalon Member
    In the hills above the sea in Victoria. My off-grid paradise.
    Thanks

And helmets. Surely. No good surviving a tsunami and climbing out brain damaged. What a brilliant concept.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meryl For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th January 2020), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), Pam (20th January 2020), rgray222 (22nd April 2023)

15. Link to Post #68
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,369 times in 3,306 posts

Imagine getting in one of those orbs and after surviving being buried alive under tons of rubble and uprooted trees. I'm not sure what would be worse, being killed drowning or being buried alive in a little metal ball.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th January 2020), ExomatrixTV (1st February 2024), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), rgray222 (22nd April 2023), wondering (20th January 2020)

17. Link to Post #69
    Thanks

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    Imagine getting in one of those orbs and after surviving being buried alive under tons of rubble and uprooted trees. I'm not sure what would be worse, being killed drowning or being buried alive in a little metal ball.
    No kidding. What would be needed (I wonder if the ball manufactures have thought of this?) is an included Personal Locator Beacon [PLB] that would activate automatically when the ball was in motion and send a 24 hour emergency signal to NOAA with its location within 100 meters. (I have one myself — a PLB, not a ball! — that I now take on all my remote mountain hikes.)

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 20th January 2020 at 14:07.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

ExomatrixTV (1st February 2024), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), onawah (20th January 2020), onevoice (20th January 2020), Pam (20th January 2020), rgray222 (22nd April 2023), Yoda (20th January 2020)

19. Link to Post #70
    Language
    English
    Thanks

And all that based on the assumption that there will be enough search and rescue teams and volunteers out and about who will be able to locate and rescue all the thousands of victims, with fires to fight, roads down, after shocks, and all the other catastrophic conditions that will prevail for a long time after the initial quake and tsunami...
    Each breath a gift...

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

avid (17th April 2023), Bill Ryan (20th January 2020), ExomatrixTV (1st February 2024), greybeard (20th January 2020), Ivanhoe (20th January 2020), Pam (31st January 2024), rgray222 (22nd April 2023), Satori (20th January 2020)

21. Link to Post #71
    United States Avalon Member Jackson's Avatar
    Thanks

I, like Peterpam, live right in the heart of this potential event. We live on the top of the Olympic Peninsula in Port Angeles, Washington. Our house is 1 mile from the water at 500 feet. My family also lives here in the area. We have discussed this among our selves and feel that life is so sweet here why should we have any fear of this happening. If it does....then oh well.

Be well.
    "Sure....life on earth is expensive....but it includes a free trip around the sun"

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jackson For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st January 2020), Bluegreen (21st January 2020), ExomatrixTV (1st February 2024), Ivanhoe (21st January 2020), onawah (21st January 2020), Pam (31st January 2024), rgray222 (22nd April 2023), Sunny (22nd January 2020)

23. Link to Post #72
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,315 times in 10,234 posts

I have to re-install google earth on my new PC, and add in the kmz file for the ley lines.....and..check and see where exactly that earthquake happened, re comparison to the energy grid lines.

I think it happened near a suspected underground facility and at the right depth. (10km) https://www.usgs.gov/news/m57-earthq...t-lake-city-ut
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (1st April 2020), Bill Ryan (1st April 2020), Curiosity (1st April 2020), ExomatrixTV (1st February 2024), justntime2learn (1st April 2020), mountain_jim (2nd April 2020), onawah (1st April 2020), rgray222 (22nd April 2023), wegge (1st April 2020)

25. Link to Post #73
    Thanks

Bumping this potentially important thread with this:
    "Newly Discovered Seafloor Seep" Off Oregon Coast On Fault Line May Be Harbinger To Major Quake

"Chemically distinct liquid shooting up from the seafloor" has been detected by researchers on a stretch of a 600-mile-long fault line in the Pacific Ocean, which is situated only 50 miles away from the Oregon coast, and could potentially trigger a catastrophic earthquake in the Pacific Northwest.

"Pythia's Oasis is a newly discovered seafloor seep on the Central Oregon segment of the Cascadia Subduction Zone, where focused venting emits highly altered fluids ~9°C above the background temperature. The seep fluid chemistry is unique for Cascadia and includes extreme enrichment of boron and lithium and depletion of chloride, potassium, and magnesium. We conclude that the fluids are sourced from pore water compaction and mineral dehydration reactions with minimum source temperatures of 150° to 250°C, placing the source at or near the plate boundary offshore Central Oregon," researchers at the University of Washington wrote in a study.

(The article continues)

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (17th April 2023), Bassplayer1 (17th April 2023), Ewan (17th April 2023), ExomatrixTV (1st February 2024), Harmony (17th April 2023), kudzy (17th April 2023), Pam (31st January 2024), rgray222 (22nd April 2023), Yoda (17th April 2023)

27. Link to Post #74
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 124,906 times in 20,684 posts

• What's the ONE THING You Can Do To Survive a Tsunami? Cascadia Subduction Zone:

While tsunamis happen all over the world, really big ones are rare. But, they can be truly devastating. And what’s more, the West Coast of North America is overdue for a subduction zone earthquake and tsunami that has the potential to be the biggest disaster the U.S. has ever seen. So, what is the single most important factor determining whether or not YOU survive a tsunami? Watch this episode to find out.

Weathered is a show hosted by weather expert Maiya May and produced by Balance Media that helps explain the most common natural disasters, what causes them, how they’re changing, and what we can do to prepare.

Tsunami Evacuation Map for Oregon and Washington: nvs.nanoos.org/TsunamiEvac
    • 00:00 Subduction zone earthquakes can cause catastrophic tsunamis, unlike those generated by wind.
    • 01:27 The Cascadia megaquake, overdue for the west coast, could lead to deadly tsunamis, emphasizing the need for preparedness.
    • 02:29 Subduction zone earthquakes, caused by tectonic plate movement, create devastating tsunamis, with the Cascadia subduction zone being a major concern.
    • 04:23 Scientists have found evidence of past tsunamis and earthquakes in the Cascadia region, underlining the historical risk.
    • 07:43 Reaction time is critical for survival during a tsunami, with immediate evacuation being paramount for coastal residents.
    • 09:11 Vertical evacuation
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Harmony (31st January 2024), Yoda (31st January 2024)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4