+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is is a boat? Is it a plane? No, it's the Russian EKRANOPLAN

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,759 times in 32,947 posts

Default Is is a boat? Is it a plane? No, it's the Russian EKRANOPLAN

-------

This is of general historical interest only, but I bet not too many of you had ever heard of this. It shows just how clever the Russians are -- and always have been.

The Ekranoplan was basically an enormous flying boat that was never intended to lift off the water more than a few feet. Some of them could reach speeds of 400 mph, skimming the wave tops, flying under US radar (as it was then). As a military asset, it could also be regarded as a super-fast ship that didn't actually touch the water.

Take a look. These things really existed! When the Americans first saw one of these by satellite, at first they couldn't understand what they were looking at.

Here's an archive of images, three of which are below (these are all actual photos).

http://darkroastedblend.com/2007/05/...-showcase.html

And here's an astonishing video, containing rare archive Russian footage. For all you technology buffs, be amazed.

2. The Following 55 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Agape (1st March 2014), Ammit (1st March 2014), Arc (1st March 2014), Art (2nd March 2014), Atlas (1st March 2014), Bongo (2nd March 2014), Carmody (1st March 2014), ceetee9 (2nd March 2014), Conchis (1st March 2014), DarMar (1st March 2014), DeDukshyn (1st March 2014), Dennis Leahy (1st March 2014), Ecnal61 (1st March 2014), Elainie (1st March 2014), ExomatrixTV (23rd July 2021), ghostrider (1st March 2014), gigha (4th March 2014), giovonni (1st March 2014), GreenGuy (1st March 2014), guyres (2nd March 2014), Harley (1st March 2014), Heart-2-Heart (1st March 2014), Hervé (1st March 2014), intruth (1st March 2014), jjjones (1st March 2014), Karma Ninja (2nd March 2014), Lefty Dave (1st March 2014), Lifebringer (1st March 2014), linksplatinum (1st March 2014), Magnus (1st March 2014), Mashika (23rd July 2021), MorningSong (1st March 2014), mosquito (2nd March 2014), Mozart (2nd March 2014), Operator (1st March 2014), Realeyes (1st March 2014), Richard S. (1st March 2014), seko (1st March 2014), Sidney (1st March 2014), Sir Eltor (1st March 2014), Sophocles (2nd March 2014), spiritguide (1st March 2014), Star Tsar (1st March 2014), steven69 (4th March 2014), sunflower (1st March 2014), Sunny-side-up (1st March 2014), superconsciousness (1st March 2014), TelosianEmbrace (23rd July 2021), Tesla_WTC_Solution (1st March 2014), ThePythonicCow (1st March 2014), thunder24 (1st March 2014), ulli (1st March 2014), william r sanford72 (1st March 2014), Woody (2nd March 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Is is a boat? Is it a plane? No, it's the Russian EKRANOPLAN

it reminds me of something from thunderbirds,cheers bill.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ecnal61 For This Post:

Sunny-side-up (1st March 2014)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member Cognitive Dissident's Avatar
    In a galaxy not too far away from where you are right now
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 times in 409 posts

Thanks Bill - actually I had heard of it... the CIA were so amazed by the satellite photos, they didn't know what it was, only that it is was huge and moved very fast, so they called it the Caspian Sea Monster.

Here are some current photos of the Lun model, now rusting away in Russia...

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2011/06.../?viewall=true

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cognitive Dissident For This Post:

Atlas (2nd March 2014), ceetee9 (2nd March 2014), Midnight Rambler (1st March 2014), Sunny-side-up (1st March 2014)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Hi Bill

Yes, those were designed a long time ago...and were mostly effective at lifting medium loads a few feet (rather than at high altitude) and getting them to a distant place a half globe away....very quickly...ie tanks..etc

This design has been modified in many sizes ranging from a free running rubber powered toy version that skimmed the ground ...plans in some popular mechanics magazine way back in the 50's...to ocean liner size ones that Russia built with 10-15 turbines for power.

I have seen videos of the Radio Control hobbyist versions (although not quite practical for anything) that fly well in the precise ground effect utilized by their inherent design (inverted V wing with tip sponsons).
    There was also a homebuilt plan and review available from PM one month years ago.

Not many know about them...and they are quite efficient for hauling freight at much higher speeds than any ship. as ground effect saves a lot of fuel.

I fly RC planes...have been since the late 60's..and now fly mostly by video link to my vr goggles from the cockpit itself...and have looked at possibly modeling one for that experience as the rush of flying at high speed inches above the water would be interesting.

Here is a google images link for those that wish to look at the many different sizes and uses

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...36.Qfnyv4PXgCo

update...
    The term W.I.G is the term used to also describe a Wing In Ground Effect vehicle

and here is a link to a page that has a lot of videos of all kinds of them

http://www.mashpedia.com/Ground_effect_vehicle
    Last edited by gittarpikk; 1st March 2014 at 15:14.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gittarpikk For This Post:

Atlas (2nd March 2014), spiritguide (1st March 2014), Sunny-side-up (1st March 2014)

9. Link to Post #5
    Great Britain Avalon Member AngelArmy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Interesting hammer head shape

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelArmy For This Post:

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

Thanks Bill , look at how advanced the thinking was back then ... hiding under radar , ehummm lets just make a boat that can fly ... There is really no telling what sort of toys the Russians have or just how far advanced they are ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Atlas (2nd March 2014), Sunny-side-up (1st March 2014)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    Poor english
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,972 times in 737 posts

I think it was nicknamed "the caspian sea monster".
    It was an A-90, weighed 140 tons and it was 58 meters long. It reached 400 km/h and flew about 5 to 10 meters from the sea surface.
    Love. peace and Blessings to you all.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ammit For This Post:

Sunny-side-up (1st March 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (1st March 2014)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,123 times in 3,951 posts

An amazing machine!

When I look at the design I can sort of see how Russian's developed there projects by just adding/welding a bit on here and there as needed!

There is a car sized version for frozen lakes.
    Very dangerous flying just above the surface, no time to miss objects or people Doh!
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

16. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 times in 210 posts

I believe they were only effective though when the sea was like a 'mill pond' and that was their downfall.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mare For This Post:

18. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,922 times in 4,417 posts

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    Thanks Bill , look at how advanced the thinking was back then ... hiding under radar , ehummm lets just make a boat that can fly ... There is really no telling what sort of toys the Russians have or just how far advanced they are ...
    You read my mind GR. I was thinking the same thing. What ARE they doing today behind closed doors.

Thanks for the thread Bill. I had not heard of it either, and surprising too, given the size of that thing. Would be a good docu for the history channel. Seeing thAT thing, open wide and launching missiles, holy cow. I wonder if they ever crashed one of those.
    Last edited by Sidney; 1st March 2014 at 17:51.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney For This Post:

Atlas (2nd March 2014)

20. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Pretty useless if caught in a storm though ... =)
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

21. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 times in 223 posts

22. Link to Post #13
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Looks like a slightly downgraded (lolling is ok) answer to the B1 bomber...
    imagine one of those things in new york harbor LOL

the B1 was capable of flight, quite fast for low alt,
    it was able to go beneath the radar and carrying a nuclear payload overground (and i guess over water too) lol.

vs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_B-1_Lancer
    Quote It was first envisioned in the 1960s as a supersonic bomber with Mach 2 speed, and sufficient range and payload to replace the Boeing B-52 Stratofortress. It was developed into the B-1B, primarily a low-level penetrator with long-range and Mach 1.25 speed capability at high altitude.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekranoplan
    Quote A ground effect vehicle (GEV) is one that attains level flight near the surface of the Earth, making use of the aerodynamic interaction between the wings and the surface known as ground effect. Best known are the Soviet ekranoplanes, but names like wing-in-ground-effect (WIG), flarecraft, sea skimmer, or wing-in-surface-effect ship (WISE) are also used. In recent years a large number of different GEV types have been developed for both civilian and military use. However, these craft have yet to enter widespread use.

Although they might look similar and/or have related technical characteristics, ground effect vehicles are not aircraft, seaplanes, hovercraft, or hydrofoils - ground effect is a separate technology altogether. The International Maritime Organization classifies these vehicles as maritime ships.
    What our B-1 lacked was the ability to take advantage of physical ground effects;
    i.e. it flew low over ground and water in order to foil radar, but unlike the Ekranoplan, it was unable to use these surfaces or its proximity to them in order to increase speed/decrease fuel load.

iirc.

super post, Bill, the name of the plane made me LOL because of Avatar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikran

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekran
    Quote Ekran (Russian: "Экран", "Screen") was a Soviet-Russian type of geostationary satellite, developed for a national system of Direct-To-Home television.
    hmm lol

23. Link to Post #14
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,230 times in 3,216 posts

More images of the Ekranoplan (inside - outside)

Last edited by Atlas; 2nd March 2014 at 08:51.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

DeDukshyn (2nd March 2014), Griff (2nd March 2014)

+ Reply to Thread