+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does the word ANGST mean to you.

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Deactivated
    Thanks

Default What does the word ANGST mean to you.

I was laying in bed this morning, thinking about world conditions.
    Crying a little.
    Partly because of the worlds conditions, and partly because I tripped on a sidewalk yesterday, and did a perfect face plant on someone's frozen lawn. My face is hurting. A black eye. My cheek has an egg under it. And my upper teeth are all numb.
    But back to this question about ANGST. I am posting a photo that totally captures what I feel it means. I'm also including the dictionary meaning. I sincerely hope some others may think about the word. And just what does it mean to you. Trying to do something different than discussion. Something from our hearts.
    If I could, I would reach across space and time to lay a hand on her shoulder. To let her know, that somewhere, sometime, someone cares about her.

Angst
    Angst, often confused with anxiety, is a transcendent emotion in that it combines the unbearable anguish of life with the hopes of overcoming this seemingly impossible situation. Without the important element of hope, then the emotion is anxiety, not angst. Angst denotes the constant struggle one has with the burdens of life that weighs on the dispossessed and not knowing when the salvation will appear.
    An airplane crashes into the side of a remote snow-covered mountain; those passengers that worry about their lives without hopes of survival only face anxiety. In contrast, those passengers who worry about their lives with hopes of survival but do not know when the rescue party will arrive face angst.

In my angst, anger, and anguish, I lived and died. – M.O.A.
    by Man of Angst or Man Bearing Angst January 08, 2004

Also, please feel free to post a word of your own choosing. We are supposed to learn something new every day. Teachers and students. All of us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	25449  
    Last edited by carryattune; 3rd April 2014 at 20:43.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to carryattune For This Post:

araucaria (3rd April 2014), crosby (3rd April 2014), jagman (6th April 2014), linksplatinum (17th March 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (17th March 2014), The Alley Cat (17th March 2014), ulli (4th April 2014), Watching from Cyprus (4th April 2014), Wind (17th March 2014)

3. Link to Post #2
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

Default Re: What does the word ANGST mean to you.

Hope you feel better soon.

Angst= anxiety X stress X Anger X stupefied.

4. Link to Post #3
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,091 times in 1,657 posts

Angst is the German word for both fear and anxiety; nothing exotic about the word whatsoever until it recently became amalgamated in the English language; once a foreign word is incorporated into English it seems to take on some sort of a bogus mystical quality;

in any case, carryattune, I wish you a very speedy recovery!

Larry

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

carryattune (17th March 2014), crosby (3rd April 2014), jagman (6th April 2014), sheme (17th March 2014), The Alley Cat (17th March 2014), ulli (4th April 2014)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Hi Larry, nice to see a new voice. At least new to me. I like words.
    Another favorite is ameliorate. It kind of tumbles out. Oh. And it's opposite too. Exacerbate.
    Last edited by carryattune; 17th March 2014 at 20:36.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carryattune For This Post:

Cardillac (17th March 2014), crosby (3rd April 2014), The Alley Cat (17th March 2014)

8. Link to Post #5
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,091 times in 1,657 posts

@carryattune

"Hi Larry, nice to see a new voice"- stay tuned; I'm not as stupid as I look- and I've been around a lot longer than Avalon or until my internet connection finally allowed access to my commenting on Avalon (but various browsers still deny me access to Avalon- and that varies from day to day- I don't know what's going on)-

again, Carryattune, I wish you an expediant recovery- please be well-

Larry

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardillac For This Post:

carryattune (18th March 2014), crosby (3rd April 2014)

10. Link to Post #6
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,487 times in 1,174 posts

Angst.

Realizing that the many worlds theory might be proved false by the idea that it is logically possible that a world exists where alternative worlds do not and cannot exist....and which world do I then live in?

Oh bother.

Or the same situation the agnostic dyslexic insomniac suffers from:

Not being able to sleep because you keep yourself up all night contemplating the existence of Dog.
    Last edited by Milneman; 17th March 2014 at 22:13.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milneman For This Post:

carryattune (18th March 2014), crosby (3rd April 2014)

12. Link to Post #7
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

I really hope your face is feeling better.

Was afraid of that happening to me only a few days ago, was walking with hands in pockets at night.
    I trip all the time even in my own neighborhood.
    No street lights lol -- well not enough light.

which is nice in a way but.... SCUFF!

13. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Thank you for your concern for my face. Messed it up. I did. City repaired sidewalks last year. There was a two inch difference from one slab to the next.
    I am still glad to welcome you Larry.
    To the inhabitant of the Woods. I don't remember the acreage. You are back to school writing papers. Words can be fun.
    And Tesla, you are an energetic soul. I feel like you must absolutely bubble, when you are up. I pray your situation improves greatly in the very near future. I don't remember exactly what happened. I think I was trying to turn up the collar on my jacket. Next wham. A mouthful of dirt. Don't believe it was the fall...........it was the sudden stop! Lol

Love you all.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carryattune For This Post:

crosby (3rd April 2014), jagman (6th April 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (18th March 2014), ulli (4th April 2014)

15. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,722 times in 4,284 posts

Hi Carryattune lol --

you reminded me of something funny --

when my dad was about 10 years old, he was running down a hill on our old farm.
    he apparently tripped and landed face first in a 100% fresh cow patty.

then he got up and ran to the nearby pond. XD

16. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member 8Adamas8's Avatar
    Thanks

I hope one day we can move beyond language as a means of communication it only hinders and manipulates understanding....

Warning- Explicit language.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 8Adamas8 For This Post:

carryattune (19th March 2014), crosby (3rd April 2014), Reinhard (18th March 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd March 2014)

18. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Thank you all for your concern. My face is coming along.

Tesla, you need a flashlight. Perhaps you should stay in after dark.

You who lives in the 100 acre wood. You are in school. Writing. Doesn't that fascinate you? Words. So much power. Who said the power of the pen?

Larry, I am still glad to meet you.

When I fell I was turning up the collar on my coat. So my arms were not available to catch me. Kind of like hands in pockets.

Love you all.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carryattune For This Post:

crosby (3rd April 2014), Milneman (19th March 2014), Tesla_WTC_Solution (22nd March 2014)

20. Link to Post #12
    Morocco Avalon Member PurpleLama's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,015 times in 4,218 posts

Sometimes a poster may come across as overly aggressive, or bombastic, as you say, and it is just their personality to seem that way, when in truth they only speak because they do care, an awful lot. Conversely, we all might on occasion inadvertently offend someone because of the many ways our own words can be taken other than that which we might intend. I don't observe folks being held up to impossible standards on the forum, myself, but then I don't look for it, either. For myself, I come across as rude, in person, as some of my own filters seem to be broken, but in the written word this is seldom the case, if it is not my intent. Of course, with all the different cultures and first languages not English of posters, it is amazing that misunderstandings do not abound so much more than they do.

Be assured, everyone coming into a forum environment for the first time encounters a bit of a learning curve. It is not like real life at all, except for when it is. I hope you can find your niche, 'round here.
    God bless the Fae
    God bless Me

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Post:

carryattune (3rd April 2014), Catsquotl (4th April 2014), crosby (3rd April 2014), Marianne (4th April 2014), Wind (4th April 2014)

22. Link to Post #13
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,515 times in 2,598 posts

Hi Carryatune, I wince a bit when you describe your fall and the injuries to your face. They are a perfect metaphor to the angst that arises when we contemplate the greater world and are deeply saddened by the difference between what is and what could be.

The world is a fat lip, a pain in the ass. At best the misery yields to laughter; a fall from grace is experienced as a slip on a banana peel. But it is sheer misery to feel so much suffering, your own, as well as others. I sometimes wonder what sadist is responsible for the creation of a world where so much unhappiness is created. If it's a joke, it's a cruel one.

Those who blow off the deep irony of a pratfall accompanying contemplation of angst or 'world pain', or weltscherz are bound for a lesson that highlights their arrogance.

From Wikipedia:
    Weltschmerz (from the German, meaning world-pain or world-weariness, pronounced [ˈvɛltʃmɛɐ̯ts]) is a term coined by the German author Jean Paul Richter and denotes the kind of feeling experienced by someone who understands that physical reality can never satisfy the demands of the mind.

Ralph Ellison uses the term in Invisible Man with regard to the pathos inherent in the singing of spirituals: "...beneath the swiftness of the hot tempo there was a slower tempo and a cave and I entered it and looked around and heard an old woman singing a spiritual as full of Weltschmerz as flamenco."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weltschmerz

I hope you feel happier soon! You are a good good soul, or you wouldn't be experiencing life in quite this way.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

carryattune (3rd April 2014), Catsquotl (4th April 2014), crosby (3rd April 2014)

24. Link to Post #14
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,771 times in 2,653 posts

hi carryatune, when i think of the word angst, i immediately think of woody allen - here's one of my favorite scenes where his angst is quite visible:

nice thread, i like it.
    warmest regards,
    crosby

25. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Autumn, it's true what you say, my falling flat on my face in the real world juxtaposed with my difficulties in this virtual world. For a moment after I made that post I noticed the double layering of my words.

To purple lama, that is true about our filters. Only I find for myself, if I try to screen thoughts too finely, I loose what it is I wanted to say. And the other problem, or shortcoming with texting. No voice inflection. No facial expressions. And also the difficulties of translating mostly into English.

Hello Crosby, please feel free to post words here yourself.. I almost started a new thread to offer the word BOMBASTIC. But in the interest of conservation I brought it back here.

I like to study words. I have some favorites. Skits like Gallagher does are great. Or on NCIS. the difficulties Ziva had with English phrases....like a needle in the haystack. We take them for granted. But she usually got a word wrong that made it very funny. Like a pin in the chimney.
    But very happy to meet you.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to carryattune For This Post:

jagman (6th April 2014)

27. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member jagman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,162 times in 1,888 posts

carryattune,
    I'm sorry I never got to wish you well before you left.

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

28. The Following User Says Thank You to jagman For This Post:

giovonni (6th April 2014)

29. Link to Post #17
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,600 times in 20,439 posts

Unhappy Re: What does the word ANGST mean to you.

What does the word ANGST mean to Me ...

Losing that wonderful energy signature that was you ~ Ms C ...

30. The Following User Says Thank You to giovonni For This Post:

jagman (8th April 2014)

+ Reply to Thread