+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Catch emergency rain water, how to.

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Default Catch emergency rain water, how to.

Fast, light, mobile, simple, convenient.

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    I'm looking to put one of these up. Im surprised moreover people in the tropics don't do it. Any ideas on filtration, anyone?
    Sawyer Squeeze mini, filters 350.000 gallons, yes 350.000. About 25/35 bucks

Sawyer Squeeze regular, 1.000.000 gallons, that's a million. 45/ 75 bucks depending to where you are in the world.

Both fit in your pocket or bag, and can function as a gravity filter.

There is a bucket system but its a bit more expensive, the above mentioned filters can just as easy be used in the same bucket system with 5 bucks worth of hose.

Folding 10 liter bucket.

Pocket 10 liter solar shower

Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 2nd October 2014 at 21:52.

2. Link to Post #2
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

Default Re: Catch emergency rain water, how to.

I'm looking to put one of these up. Im surprised moreover people in the tropics don't do it. Any ideas on filtration, anyone?

3. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

Added to top post,
    Last edited by 778 neighbour of some guy; 2nd October 2014 at 21:51.

4. Link to Post #4
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

Thanks, I'll check them out. Im trying to restrict myself to less than 2 dollar filters, so I can tell people in the developing world.

Im currently using Iodine, zeolites, vit c and similar substances. I want to design one use packets.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

I bet you a sawyer squeeze costs about 7 dollars to make. No offence to those guys, but water filters are simple when you rip them open. I used to work at Brita. Their filter was mainly charcoal and coconut, IIRC.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Bob (8th January 2017)

6. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Bit late to post, but have you thought about the Millbank Bag Daozen? Although its quite pricey for your budget here in the UK, perhaps you might consider making some if u can find the right type of material.

This is what I have in my bug out bag anyways...and some small bottles of iodine in case the water is very contaminated.

7. Link to Post #6
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

Quote Posted by Terra (here)
    Bit late to post, but have you thought about the Millbank Bag Daozen? Although its quite pricey for your budget here in the UK, perhaps you might consider making some if u can find the right type of material.

This is what I have in my bug out bag anyways...and some small bottles of iodine in case the water is very contaminated.
    One of the inexpensive, light weight, high capacity Sawyer filters may be exactly what you need to filter the water for drinking. Available from Amazon and WalMart (here in the US).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

Bob (8th January 2017)

9. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

A common and easy to make water filter is to use a new garbage can or drum, as a sand filter. Put an outlet at the side near the bottom, cover the inside opening for the outlet with a wad of cloth or similar barrier to prevent sand from escaping with the water coming out. Fill about the bottom 1/4 with clean (playground sandbox) sand, the next 1/8 or so with pulverized charcoal (real charcoal, not BBQ briquettes loaded with chemicals), then cover with another 1/4 of clean sand. This leaves over 1/4 of the space remaining to hold water to be filtered. This sort of filtration is quite effective for coarse water filtering and can be built rather cheaply. It will remove most of the solids from water. In most cases, that is all you'll need for filtration. If you are using water that is known to be loaded with toxic elements, prefiltering with a sand filter will extend the life of expensive filters designed to remove toxins.

I capture rain water with screen covered (to keep leaves and other wind-blown debris out) rain gutters on an A-frame cabin. The water is routed into a 60 gallon food-grade barrel laying on its side, centered between two floor joists of the second floor and held in place with ratchet straps. Gravity feed provides enough pressure to supply water for the kitchen and bathroom. Upstairs is only bedrooms, no water needed.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TouchTone For This Post:

Bob (8th January 2017), Chester (8th January 2017), Jean-Marie (5th January 2017), JRS (6th January 2017)

+ Reply to Thread