+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Money Saving OR Survival Tips

1. Link to Post #21
    Hong Kong Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Re: Money Saving OR Survival Tips

Re: Antenna

Satellite broadcast receiving antenna umbrella https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eMviX9H8j4

Umbrella Crystal Radio (Battery Free) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MElL_0IpV4g

DIY Long Range Directional WiFi USB Antenna Tutorial (AKA Wok Fi) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkXsS-kTtPo

2. Link to Post #22
    Hong Kong Unsubscribed
    Thanks

3. Link to Post #23
    Hong Kong Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Re: Food

How to Germinate Seed of any flower, vegetable or tree - grow seeds fast and easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTLK55-Fl80

How To Grow Vegetable Seedling and Germinate Seeds Indoors With Amazing Results! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR4UhFsyRow

4. Link to Post #24
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 times in 1,199 posts

I discovered not long ago the homemade laundry with ground ivy, it grows almost everywhere, all in the forests. For a good liter of water, you need a good handful of leaves, which you crumple or cut with scissors. Put in the water on the fire and let it boil for 5 minutes, then rest overnight before straining. There would be 15% foam trash in ground ivy. And you bottle it. If you have not too dirty laundry, a good glass in your washing machine ...

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Anka (9th November 2020), Bill Ryan (9th November 2020), Brigantia (9th November 2020), Constance (10th November 2020), EFO (13th November 2020), Harmony (17th November 2020), Hym (13th November 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (9th November 2020), palehorse (9th November 2020), Peace in Oz (14th November 2020), Sarah Rainsong (9th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (9th November 2020), Trisher (13th November 2020)

6. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Sarah Rainsong's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 times in 505 posts

Quote Posted by Lunesoleil (here)

I discovered not long ago the homemade laundry with ground ivy, it grows almost everywhere, all in the forests. For a good liter of water, you need a good handful of leaves, which you crumple or cut with scissors. Put in the water on the fire and let it boil for 5 minutes, then rest overnight before straining. There would be 15% foam trash in ground ivy. And you bottle it. If you have not too dirty laundry, a good glass in your washing machine ...
    At the bottom of your picture, one can see what it is called English Ivy around here. Ground Ivy is something totally different. Which are you referring to? Or is it something else entirely? (Don't you just love how colloquial names have such overlap! )
    The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air...
    Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Anka (13th November 2020), Constance (10th November 2020), EFO (13th November 2020), Harmony (17th November 2020), Hym (13th November 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (9th November 2020), palehorse (9th November 2020), Trisher (13th November 2020)

8. Link to Post #26
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 1,594 posts

Thumbs up Re: Money Saving OR Survival Tips

Nice thread!

If you want to move water in your land or garden and got no electricity like me, you can setup a ram pump, it will do the job pretty well, you can fill up a tank and then use that water for whatever you need. In my case we have drip irrigation connected to one of the water tanks, which use little water and keep high moisture to the plants, it also helps to save water in the long run.

In our land we got 2 small streams pretty much like the one in the video, one is a permanent stream and another one seasonal (4 or 5 months per year), then water is a bit of issue for us, the catchment we built years ago, didn't prove to be very efficient since we depends on rain obviously! and in the dry season we got empty water tanks, moving water from the stream with buckets like we did is even worse! Then the ram pump seems to be our best option now, specially when we move definitively to the land.

Here is the video, very simple overview how it works, there is many other videos with full explanation on each parts and how to properly assemble it all together. I got most of the parts in our pile of junk, probably I won't need to buy anything to build it.

Last edited by palehorse; 9th November 2020 at 16:21.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Anka (13th November 2020), EFO (13th November 2020), Harmony (17th November 2020), Hym (13th November 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (9th November 2020), Peace in Oz (14th November 2020), Sarah Rainsong (9th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (9th November 2020), Trisher (13th November 2020)

10. Link to Post #27
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sarah Rainsong (here)
    At the bottom of your picture, one can see what it is called English Ivy around here. Ground Ivy is something totally different. Which are you referring to? Or is it something else entirely? (Don't you just love how colloquial names have such overlap! )

Yes English ivy looks a lot like ground ivy from my home

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Anka (13th November 2020), Brigantia (13th November 2020), EFO (13th November 2020), Harmony (17th November 2020), Hym (13th November 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (9th November 2020), palehorse (18th November 2020), Sarah Rainsong (9th November 2020), Trisher (13th November 2020)

12. Link to Post #28
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,572 times in 1,716 posts

Anka redirect me here showing me your finding of which raise my interest.

I want to replace what is know as liquid soap with this and give it a try for hand washing and if it works I'll extend its properties for other purposes including laundry as its original application.

I speak French a little and from your posted video I understood that for one liter water I need 50 leaves of Ivy boiled 15 minutes and for one washing I need only a cap.Shelf life is one month.

My question for you is:Boiling time is counting from the moment you start the fire or from the moment when water start to boil?Many thanks for your time and recipe!

EDIT:
    I'll give it tomorrow a try and tell you the result.The forest here where I live are full of red and green ivy.I will try both separately and I will post here the results.
    Last edited by EFO; 13th November 2020 at 15:59. Reason: adding text
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (13th November 2020), Brigantia (13th November 2020), Constance (17th November 2020), Harmony (17th November 2020), Hym (13th November 2020), Karen (Geophyz) (13th November 2020), Lunesoleil (17th November 2020), palehorse (18th November 2020), Peace in Oz (14th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (13th November 2020), Trisher (13th November 2020)

14. Link to Post #29
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,194 times in 437 posts

Quote Posted by EFO (here)

Anka redirect me here showing me your finding of which raise my interest.

I want to replace what is know as liquid soap with this and give it a try for hand washing and if it works I'll extend its properties for other purposes including laundry as its original application.

I speak French a little and from your posted video I understood that for one liter water I need 50 leaves of Ivy boiled 15 minutes and for one washing I need only a cap.Shelf life is one month.

My question for you is:Boiling time is counting from the moment you start the fire or from the moment when water start to boil?Many thanks for your time and recipe!

EDIT:
    I'll give it tomorrow a try and tell you the result.The forest here where I live are full of red and green ivy.I will try both separately and I will post here the results.
    Great idea. Thanks Lunesoliel. Here is a link to a recipe which mixes it with washing soda.

https://www.smarticular.net/en/eco-i...-laundry-soap/

"Eco Ivy Soap Ingredients: about 60 grams / 2 ounces of ivy leaves (common or English ivy) 0.6 liter / 3 cups of water half a table spoon washing soda a container, for example a mason jar or a fidor jar Directions: Shred the leaves and put them in a big pot with the washing soda and the water. Bring to a boil and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes, stir frequently. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Let the mixture sit until it foams when stirred vigorously. Strain the mixture through a sieve or cheesecloth and pour it into a container."

Trisher
    Last edited by Trisher; 13th November 2020 at 20:15.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trisher For This Post:

Anka (13th November 2020), Constance (17th November 2020), EFO (13th November 2020), Harmony (17th November 2020), palehorse (18th November 2020), Peace in Oz (17th November 2020)

16. Link to Post #30
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Saturday evening I made the recipe and this came out

Name:  sopon.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  43.0 KB

It looks more green than one of Lunesoleil.I cut the leaves and boiled them for 15 minutes from the point when the water start boiling and I left the "tea" covered in the pot over night and Sunday I strained it.

I didn't try it on laundry due to it color,but I washed my hands with it and came out pretty clean,fine and soft.

Did I made something wrong regarding the color?Can you help me by sharing in detail your "secret"?Many thanks.
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Constance (17th November 2020), Harmony (17th November 2020), Lunesoleil (17th November 2020), palehorse (18th November 2020), Peace in Oz (17th November 2020), Trisher (17th November 2020)

18. Link to Post #31
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

On a feisbuc French account I found a somehow similar recipe made also from plants only,but for shampoo which I want to give it a try,but I don't speak French very well and google made a horrid translation...
    This is the link https://www.facebook.com/MonSavoureu...81341458554022

Does anyone know a similar recipe for shampoo made from plants only?Many thanks!

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Lunesoleil (17th November 2020), palehorse (18th November 2020), Peace in Oz (17th November 2020), Trisher (17th November 2020)

20. Link to Post #32
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

@EFO
    It's normal the dark color, the photo on instagram was my first try. I had not crumpled the leaves of the ivy, this is very important to bring out the active power of the plant. I saw that it can replace your shampoo, your washing-up liquid, it's magic, because ivy grows is present all year round. I forgot to tell you, that the foaming agent is active for about 21 days. It is better to take wild ivy and not the one marketed in garden center stores. It makes me very happy, that this tip, found in this user forum. At home, the ivy is used as a hedge and I don't have to go very far to harvest it

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

EFO (17th November 2020), Peace in Oz (17th November 2020), Trisher (17th November 2020)

22. Link to Post #33
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Thank you Lunesoil for your information.I thought to cut the leaves more than only stripes,but it wasn't showed in the video so I let them in stripes only,but based on your info next time I'll cut them more to see what will happen...Anca uses stinging nettle as a "tea" for hair and fresh for her back pain (it grows all over) and thanks to Sarah Rainsong knowledge we harvested the seeds also and these give a minty taste to cheese.Next time I'll made a second batch mixing stinging nettle and wild ivy for hair.

We have wild ivy in the garden grown on trees.Years ago I cut it form the ground,but she still grow so I give up to cut it...she was more resilient than me...and now I understood that she have a purpose bigger than mine,to help me make "detergent" and shampoo from her. I was so "blind" in those times....

Schiller - Heimathafen (Lichtblick EP)
    (3:31 min.)
    Last edited by EFO; 17th November 2020 at 19:56.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Peace in Oz (17th November 2020)

24. Link to Post #34
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

Quote Posted by EFO (here)
    .Anca uses stinging nettle as a "tea" for hair and fresh for her back pain (it grows all over) and thanks to Sarah Rainsong knowledge we harvested the seeds also and these give a minty taste to cheese. ]
    For several weeks I have been taking nettle soup in the evening.
    I also make potato pancakes in which I put chopped nettles, it's delicious.
    When you have grated your potatoes, you put in a cloth to wring out all the water contained in the potato, then you mix the minced nettle, you season and make small pancakes that you put in the oil hot in a pan is enough and you brown well. I then lay out on absorbent paper

You can put it in your salad and even eat it raw, forming a ball that you chew.
    I collected seeds, but not yet used

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

EFO (18th November 2020), palehorse (26th November 2020), Peace in Oz (17th November 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2