+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I love lentils!

1. Link to Post #1
    New Zealand Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default I love lentils!

Hands up who loves lentils me lol
    Just finished my dinner perfect lentil and vegetable curry with brown rice, yummee
    I first discovered how tasty,healthy and inexpensive lentils are in 1983.
    I have read that they also are very good at adding nutrients back into depleted soil.
    What's not to love

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mnemosyne For This Post:

Becky (6th June 2015), greybeard (6th June 2015), kirolak (22nd June 2015), Lunesoleil (25th November 2020), sigma6 (6th June 2015)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,730 times in 2,903 posts

Default Re: I love lentils!

And i hear they are good for the heart... the more you eat...
    ...I wanted to add more on that, but it escapes me... like it just evaporated ':D
    Last edited by sigma6; 7th June 2015 at 05:24.
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

Becky (6th June 2015), Mnemosyne (6th June 2015), Snookie (6th June 2015)

5. Link to Post #3
    Australia Avalon Member DeeMetrios's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 times in 229 posts

im another ... like them very much

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DeeMetrios For This Post:

Mnemosyne (6th June 2015)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Italian style lentil soup rocks!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to liderr For This Post:

Mnemosyne (6th June 2015)

9. Link to Post #5
    Scotland Avalon Member angelfire's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 times in 241 posts

I've recently discovered that it's recommended to soak all grains and pulses for a few hours then rinse, before cooking. This kicks off the sprouting process which in turn releases phytic acid which is very hard to digest. I love lentils too!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angelfire For This Post:

Becky (6th June 2015), genevieve (6th June 2015), Mnemosyne (6th June 2015), sigma6 (6th June 2015)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,701 times in 8,941 posts

i always soak lentiles and legumes for many hours, except for red lentils, they are too fragile - i made exceptionally good lentil soup the turkish way.

You first wash the red lentils. You put them on their cooking pan, with butter, yes, sorry vegetalian folks, in their cooking pan and roast for 5 minutes medium heat (ok ok, you can use olive oil, but it won't give the same taste). Roasting is important, it changes the taste.

Then you add garlic, lots of it, salt, pepper (just a little), (sometimes a tiny bit of hot pepper, but just a bit, not to cover the taste of the whole, if you wish, I don't add hot pepper) and tomatoe paste, the whole thing once mix has to look red, and of course add water to cover everything and a little more.

Cook medium high heat for 10 minutes.

Remove from the stove and blend it until you have a creamy solution.

Add water for the consistency of a light soup.

Cook for another 10 minutes.

Serve: you may sprinkle green onions, parsley, whatever you wish on top.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Art (7th June 2015), conk (8th June 2015), genevieve (6th June 2015), leavesoftrees (7th June 2015), Meggings (7th June 2015), sigma6 (6th June 2015)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,291 times in 744 posts

Add me to the list of lentil fans - green, brown, black or red lentils, and especially oil lentils! I usually curry them along with a potato, with a lot of coconut creme. .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kirolak For This Post:

Lunesoleil (25th November 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 times in 1,199 posts

I love the red lentil Dhal, an Indian dish

If you do not know it is found in Indian restaurants and I loved it and very happy to have found the recipe. You should know that there are several variations and each family adapts its recipe according to these tastes and I made it according to what I had in my refrigerator apart from two bought things that I did not necessarily have. This is another way to consume lentils and you will enjoy yourself even more if you like spices, which will scent your kitchen.

fresh coriander bought from the Chinese and it can only be kept for a few days. Dhal, it is written in several ways, "Dal daal, dahl, ..." depending on the regions of the world where it is cooked.

If you are a vegetarian this is an ideal recipe to add to your menus.

Ingredients :

200 grams of red lentils (you know those orange colored lentils)1 onion1 clove of garlicA small box of coconut milk100% organic tomato pureeTwo three carrots (optional), I even added a small fennel bulb,
    Spices: turmeric, curry, ginger, massaged whatever you have on hand (couscous spices, colombo, make your assortment if you do not have the preparation already made)The ideal is to add fresh ginger, fresh coriander , coconut milk.

Preparation:

After having peeled the onion and garlic, fry in a little oil then add the spices then the lentils to which you added 2 times ½ its weight in water. You added the carrots finely cut into slices, I had a fennel bulb that I added to give that little anise taste. A few leaves of finely chopped fresh coriander. Watch the cooking and if you feel that it is necessary to add a little water, add the tomato puree and 5 minutes before the end of cooking the coconut milk, (in some recipes the coconut milk is added at the beginning with the lenses, it's up to you.

For the decoration of your dish, add some fresh coriander leaves

If you want to share your tips, I will be happy to receive your suggestions ...

It's a very fragrant dish, you can eat it with homemade falafels, if you want the recipe, I would add it.

Last edited by Lunesoleil; 25th November 2020 at 15:12.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Karen (Geophyz) (25th November 2020), Peace in Oz (26th November 2020), pueblo (25th November 2020), Sue (Ayt) (25th November 2020), wondering (25th November 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,543 times in 2,211 posts

A thread about lentils...nice. I am a lentil lover and in Spain as well as eating a lot of lentils they even have a cute little rhyme about them...

"Lentejas, lentejas, comida de viejas, las que quieren, comen, las que no, dejen!"

(Lentils, lentils, food of old women, those that like them eat them, those that don't, leave them!)

My favourite lentil dish is a basic traditional Spanish stew of lentils, potatoes, onions, garlic and chorizo.
    Last edited by pueblo; 25th November 2020 at 15:35.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

Karen (Geophyz) (25th November 2020), Lunesoleil (25th November 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

Quote Posted by pueblo (here)
    My favourite lentil dish is a basic traditional Spanish stew of lentils, potatoes, onions, garlic and chorizo.
    The potato goes very well with the lentils, rather green lentils ?, With small bacon, you can even add a leek white, a small fennel bulb and this time thyme to flavor, parsley. This time I leave the carrots whole, choosing them in small size. Can you share your recipe ?, Thank you

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Karen (Geophyz) (25th November 2020), pueblo (25th November 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,886 times in 612 posts

Quote Posted by Lunesoleil (here)

I love the red lentil Dhal, an Indian dish

If you do not know it is found in Indian restaurants and I loved it and very happy to have found the recipe. You should know that there are several variations and each family adapts its recipe according to these tastes and I made it according to what I had in my refrigerator apart from two bought things that I did not necessarily have. This is another way to consume lentils and you will enjoy yourself even more if you like spices, which will scent your kitchen.

fresh coriander bought from the Chinese and it can only be kept for a few days. Dhal, it is written in several ways, "Dal daal, dahl, ..." depending on the regions of the world where it is cooked.

If you are a vegetarian this is an ideal recipe to add to your menus.

Ingredients :

200 grams of red lentils (you know those orange colored lentils)1 onion1 clove of garlicA small box of coconut milk100% organic tomato pureeTwo three carrots (optional), I even added a small fennel bulb,
    Spices: turmeric, curry, ginger, massaged whatever you have on hand (couscous spices, colombo, make your assortment if you do not have the preparation already made)The ideal is to add fresh ginger, fresh coriander , coconut milk.

Preparation:

After having peeled the onion and garlic, fry in a little oil then add the spices then the lentils to which you added 2 times ½ its weight in water. You added the carrots finely cut into slices, I had a fennel bulb that I added to give that little anise taste. A few leaves of finely chopped fresh coriander. Watch the cooking and if you feel that it is necessary to add a little water, add the tomato puree and 5 minutes before the end of cooking the coconut milk, (in some recipes the coconut milk is added at the beginning with the lenses, it's up to you.

For the decoration of your dish, add some fresh coriander leaves

If you want to share your tips, I will be happy to receive your suggestions ...

It's a very fragrant dish, you can eat it with homemade falafels, if you want the recipe, I would add it.

Please...add the recipe! Or come over and cook for me!!
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

pueblo (25th November 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,543 times in 2,211 posts

Quote Posted by Lunesoleil (here)
    Quote Posted by pueblo (here)
    The potato goes very well with the lentils, rather green lentils ?, With small bacon, you can even add a leek white, a small fennel bulb and this time thyme to flavor, parsley. This time I leave the carrots whole, choosing them in small size. Can you share your recipe ?, Thank you
    That sounds good with bacon too, I love fennel as well.

I use brown lentils that I get in Spain they are the 'Lechosa' type, that don't really need 'pre-cook' soaking. Add them to a big pot of cold water, I am making for 6-8 people in this recipe.

To that pot I add about a half to a full Chorizo sausage peeled and cut into rounds, a couple of roughly sliced onions, 3/4 carrots in large rounds, and maybe 6 roughly chopped potatoes as well as a couple of garlic cloves sliced, I sometimes add a handful of trimmed green beans too; celery is nice as well.

I also add a few bay leaves, a small wineglass of extra virgin olive oil and about 400ml of my own chicken stock, then season very well with lots of salt and ground black pepper.

Next, fry (in some good olive oil) a clove of minced garlic, a few slices of good Chorizo diced up small and a small handful of breadcrumbs....

....while this is frying I bash up in a pestle and mortar some sea salt and a reasonable pinch of saffron; when the saffron has become one with the salt I add that to the frying ingredients.

Fry until the breadcrumbs are nice and golden and have soaked up all the fat/flavour from the chorizo and then add to the pot.

I then bring everything to the boil and for 5 mins scoop off any white foam that comes to the surface and then cover and turn heat down low, cook for 1-2hours.....once this is cooked it holds well for a few hours just in the pot with lid on, off the heat.

I used to use a slow cooker but it unfortunately broke and I really need to replace it!
    Last edited by pueblo; 25th November 2020 at 16:14.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

Lunesoleil (25th November 2020)

25. Link to Post #13
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Karen (Geophyz) (here)
    Please...add the recipe! Or come over and cook for me!!
    Ah falafels and the best is with raw chickpeas that you have previously soaked in water overnight and that if the next day you think you do not have time to prepare, change the water and put back in the fridge. For fresh cilantro if you don't have it in your garden or balcony, think of the Asian supermarket, you will find it all year round. This time I had accommodated the Falafels with small tomatoes and melted leeks that I made myself, a change from the traditional hummus. The base of these vegetable balls can also be made with lentils, split peas and why not kidney beans? What I love about Lebanese restaurants is their tomato and parsley side, and with Falafels it's delicious.

Ingredients:
    500 chickpeas
    2 large onions, roughly chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
    1 teaspoon of salt
    2 teaspoon of red pepper
    4 cloves of garlic
    1 teaspoon of cumin
    1 teaspoon of baking powder
    2 tablespoons of flour
    Oil for frying.

Recipe :
    Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover them. leave to soak overnight, then drain. you can use canned chickpeas.
    Place the drained chickpeas and onions in a food processor. Add the parsley, cilantro, salt, allspice, garlic and cumin. mix everything finally to have a homogeneous dough. add the flour and baking powder, then mix. shape into small balls then put these balls in a bowl and refrigerate. leave for at least 2 hours. Heat the oil. Fry the falafel balls. Drain them on paper towels.

We can accompany the falafels with a delicious Hummus, yummm

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Peace in Oz (26th November 2020), pueblo (25th November 2020)

27. Link to Post #14
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks

If you like to travel in your kitchen and taste flavors from all over the world, I take you to the Middle East with the Hummus, it's a mixture of chickpeas and sesame puree. Better to do it yourself, because hummus in supermarkets or restaurants is very often a chickpea puree with a relatively bland taste due to the lack of the essentials of this recipe Tahini (sesame puree)

To begin :

A 400g jar of chickpeas from which you will remove the first skin

2 C to S of Tahini

The juice of half a lemon

A clove of garlic

A drizzle of olive oil for decoration and paprika, (cumin you have to like), chives or parsley, basil

Preparation:

After peeling the already cooked chickpeas, you mix them with the Tahini, crushed garlic, lemon juice and chickpea juice, you mix everything. It should not be too consistent or too liquid.

The trick, I do not put all the chickpeas, I keep a big wrist for the final decoration to which I add a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle with paprika.

You can present the Hummus on a bed of salads, with vine leaves, small tomatoes, feta, slices of peppers, olives ...

Hummus is very often found in Lebanese restaurants in the mezze, which is made up of tabbouleh, vine leaves, parsley fritters, cucumber salad with yogurt, falafels, etc.

Have a good meal

100% vegetarian

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Peace in Oz (26th November 2020), pueblo (25th November 2020)

+ Reply to Thread