+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst 1 7 17 43 LastLast

Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #121
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,164 times in 1,390 posts

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

Quote Posted by ERK (here)
    .....my favorite Kite Hill vegan cheese http://www.kite-hill.com/.....
    That stuff looks amazing. Proper plant-based dairy (real curds-and-whey type behaviour as opposed to stuff just made to taste like it) is going to be THE game changer, at least imho. Can't wait till it makes it to the eastern block! No sign of it yet in the local organic shop but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Elainie (24th June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (24th June 2015), Noir (25th June 2015)

3. Link to Post #122
    United States Avalon Member Hip Hipnotist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,153 times in 314 posts

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    Quote Posted by Hip Hipnotist (here)
    .....The point here is that you can't fix stupid.....
    .....unless it's forced to look death in the face, perhaps. By no means meant as an insult, but isn't the fact that your dietary ignorance led to arriving at that ultimate crossroads, and consequently a life-saving change of direction, testament to the fact that it can be fixed? Which, if so, would be encouraging for the rest of us currently still getting it wrong...........right?
    Excellent point, Akasha.

However, I wouldn't wish a heart attack on my worse enemy.

Some other trauma, perhaps, but not a heart attack.

So I'm stickin' for now with, "You can't fix stupid."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

Akasha (24th June 2015), Elainie (24th June 2015)

5. Link to Post #123
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,547 times in 787 posts

Quote Posted by ERK (here)
    .....my favorite Kite Hill vegan cheese http://www.kite-hill.com/.....
    That stuff looks amazing. Proper plant-based dairy (real curds-and-whey type behaviour as opposed to stuff just made to taste like it) is going to be THE game changer, at least imho. Can't wait till it makes it to the eastern block! No sign of it yet in the local organic shop but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I am anxiously awaiting their yogurt release. I have made almond milk based yogurt for the past 25 plus years and honestly could never get it right (it's too thin) so I switched to making raw coconut yogurt (got that down pat) but it's too rich for my oldest daughter and I to eat frequently.

Kite Hill cheeses are truly amazing.......oh their ricotta makes the best vegan lasagna, their cream cheese is divine, my 3 year old doesn't like their *camembert style* though and calls it litter box cheese lol. They really did get that ammonia part down lol.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Akasha (24th June 2015)

7. Link to Post #124
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,246 times in 4,597 posts

I had one rather interesting experience with coconut but hope no one follows the 'recipe' ( warning attached ).

One winter in Dharamsala, it had to be the beginning of 2002 before i embarked on journey to Bodhgaya for the Kalachakra ,
    I was hungry for coconut . No problem but in January it was not the right season . We had snow on the ground, no heating , room was cold and electricity fell off that night .
    Inauspicious as it sounds , in that dark night , I still dwelled on breaking the nut .
    It was soft on inside , more than it should be .. noticed some dark spots in that darkness and cut them off but I saw only the next day what I ate ,
    there was a mold , of three colors at least .. yellow , green and black.

I felt little sick the next day and got a headache . Of course I only knew what I did and my fault anyway so I did not complain to anybody .

The following night I had a special dream though .. can't recall all the details but I was inside a cave with another chamber - temple inside , with tens of skulls , human and animal skulls and they had symbols and letters carved to them .
    It was scary for no particular reason, I'm not afraid of bones . When I woke up, bit weak ..the headache and sickness was gone though and I thought it's a good sign after all .

Never eat anything that contains molds !!!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Akasha (24th June 2015), kat (26th June 2015), Noir (25th June 2015)

9. Link to Post #125
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    .....Never eat anything that contains molds !!!

apart from Kite Hill vegan cheese ; )
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Agape (24th June 2015), Pam (25th June 2015)

11. Link to Post #126
    Thanks

Quote .....You know what's hard? Getting a million dollars to start a non-profit organisation to end poverty….. That's hard…..Changing what's on your plate…..that's easy!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Agape (24th June 2015), Pam (25th June 2015)

13. Link to Post #127
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,246 times in 4,597 posts

Believe you . Though . There was an old pastor here by the name Pater Ferdinand who was a great natural herbalist and healer ,
    he practised naturopathy for some 70 years of his life so you may say, had an experience , his advice on properties of various herbs often slightly differs from others . I'd have to take the book out for details ..

but he was very 'modern' in his opinion on wheat products ( not only, various cereals together ) as cause of allergies among else ,
    and what I remember from the book is he was very particular about the use of molds including those in cheese .

Roquefort for example , very famous and tasty French cheese containing Penicillium roqueforti seems to offer natural dose of penicillin .
    However . This is not your purified penicillin , it's still a living mold . I don't think it would cause any problem if eaten as meant , natural delicacy but what some people do..............

they eat too much of that cheese . And all else and it stays in their guts and some contemplate the idea of enhancing their microbiom that way ,
    growing natural penicillin in the guts .
    Molds have a tendency to create specific environment friendly to their colonies , they're good in it and it attracts and allows other strands of mold to settle in .
    Their spores travel through blood stream easily and search where to settle . Lungs are one of their favourite environments because they remain moist and oxygenated .
    To this day , people develop very hard to treat pneumonias , bronchitis , symptoms masking as asthma if they live long time in houses containing fungus - very hard to get rid of - but it was probably much worse in the past .

I knew one bear who lived in the depth of the forest and was so old that he was covered by moss and potatoes grew on his back . When other animals saw him they thought it's a walking tree . Birds made nests on his head and squirrels too .

What happened then, he drank beer from the honey bees as all bears do and stopped moving . When spring came up again there was no bear but a bear tree .

And that is what happens to all bad children who don't wash their hands and let molds grow behind their ears ...

Last edited by Agape; 24th June 2015 at 22:43.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Akasha (25th June 2015), DeDukshyn (25th June 2015), Wind (26th June 2015)

15. Link to Post #128
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Believe you . Though . There was an old pastor here by the name Pater Ferdinand who was a great natural herbalist and healer ,
    he practised naturopathy for some 70 years of his life so you may say, had an experience , his advice on properties of various herbs often slightly differs from others . I'd have to take the book out for details ..

but he was very 'modern' in his opinion on wheat products ( not only, various cereals together ) as cause of allergies among else ,
    and what I remember from the book is he was very particular about the use of molds including those in cheese .

Roquefort for example , very famous and tasty French cheese containing Penicillium roqueforti seems to offer natural dose of penicillin .
    However . This is not your purified penicillin , it's still a living mold . I don't think it would cause any problem if eaten as meant , natural delicacy but what some people do..............

they eat too much of that cheese . And all else and it stays in their guts and some contemplate the idea of enhancing their microbiom that way ,
    growing natural penicillin in the guts .
    Molds have a tendency to create specific environment friendly to their colonies , they're good in it and it attracts and allows other strands of mold to settle in .
    Their spores travel through blood stream easily and search where to settle . Lungs are one of their favourite environments because they remain moist and oxygenated .
    To this day , people develop very hard to treat pneumonias , bronchitis , symptoms masking as asthma if they live long time in houses containing fungus - very hard to get rid of - but it was probably much worse in the past .

I knew one bear who lived in the depth of the forest and was so old that he was covered by moss and potatoes grew on his back . When other animals saw him they thought it's a walking tree . Birds made nests on his head and squirrels too .

What happened then, he drank beer from the honey bees as all bears do and stopped moving . When spring came up again there was no bear but a bear tree .

And that is what happens to all bad children who don't wash their hands and let molds grow behind their ears ...

Not really debating or adding to your post, but on the topic of fungi ...

Single celled fungi are often good for your gut, I'll give saccharomyces boulardii as an example. Multi celled fungi are not good for you gut at all, because each cell looks out for the organism and thus it eventually becomes a parasite where an army of single cells work together to preserve, feed, and grow the whole over a long period of time. Candida is one of these multi celled fungi, and most of us know how nasty that can get, with fungus sometimes growing out tendrils that can permeate the gut lining, get into you bloodstream and cause a whole host of health issues besides just a bad gut.

Beneficial singled celled fungi, in sufficient numbers keep more dangerous multi celled fungi from developing, by being able to more quickly use up resources that a multi celled fungus would otherwise take for itself to continue to grow and expand. Basically, they keep things like candida displaced.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Akasha (25th June 2015), fourty-two (27th June 2015), Wind (26th June 2015)

17. Link to Post #129
    Thanks

Hi folks!
    I was not here for a long time. But it is good to be back!
    I love this thread so far (haven't had the time to read it complete though to look at all the recipes)

I wanted to share good news with you today:
    Yesterday i got my blood test results and my doctor was really happy (and me too):
    We checked everything: vitamin D3, B12, colesterol, aminoacids, and all the rest you can get tested really. It has been expensive for me because most of the things I had to pay myself. But I wanted to do this since a long time.
    I am super healthy! She said to me that she hasn't seen such good results in years and that she doesn't care if I'm a vegan or whatever I want, as long as I keep eating like I had been because it works really good.

She even took extra time just to talk about what I eat normally because she was so curious. And honestly my food choices are quite simple because i dont like cooking.
    My iron levels are very good too, so she told me that in the last decade she's noticed that the people with the better iron levels allways are the vegetarians and vegans. They either get more iron from veggies than from a steak, or the body absorbs it better. And this is coming from a doctor (she's one of the bests in the city by the way).

And the cherry on top for me?
    When I got to tell this results to the people/friends that are allways geting in my nerves telling me I live so unhealthy because of vegan food... (Wich interestingly enough they have all health problems but don't listen anyway)

Cheers

So there. It is possible to live Vegan and get more than enough nutrients.
    And I am not taking about myself only, most of the vegan people I know are much healthier than the "omnivores" I know.
    ~May the light shine with you. And within you~

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Noir For This Post:

Akasha (25th June 2015), Antagenet (19th August 2015), drneglector (21st February 2016), Elainie (25th June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (25th June 2015), kat (26th June 2015), OopsWrongPlanet? (17th October 2018), Wind (26th June 2015)

19. Link to Post #130
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,844 times in 876 posts

Welcome back Noir. I am a meat eater except once back in the early 1960's. After a round of smoking with friends, I got up, grabbed a dining chair, sat in front of the refrigerator with the door open and chowed down on everything in the fresh veggie and fruit drawers. Does that count?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grannyfranny100 For This Post:

Akasha (25th June 2015), kat (26th June 2015)

21. Link to Post #131
    Thanks

Backed almond Feta

http://www.maplespice.com/2011/04/ba...-dill-oil.html

This is one of my favorite recipes. SO SIMPLE!! I do it almost once a week (but only lasts 2/3 days in my fridge ).
    I do not have a cheesecloth but just with the strainer works as good. And also I am too impatient to let it draining for so long, that's why I can tell you that 5 or 6 hours are enough. It'll be maybe creamier.
    Sometimes I do not bake it and just eat it like that on my bread and is just as good.

ANd also because i only use the strainer, the fluid that drains on the bowl is very creamy and contains also lot of almond, etc. So I like to put it on my pasta. ( I use it right away for sanitary reasons, if you let it longer, maybe Just heat it up before you use it) IDK.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Noir For This Post:

Akasha (25th June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (25th June 2015), kat (26th June 2015), MorningSong (31st May 2016)

23. Link to Post #132
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Noir (here)
    Baked almond Feta

http://www.maplespice.com/2011/04/ba...-dill-oil.html

This is one of my favorite recipes......
    Welcome back Noir and thanks for sharing your blood test experience. Awesome results!

I know all to well how tedious it can be when well-meaning omnivores express concern about wether we're getting enough protein, B12, iron, yada yada, blah blah etc…(fill in the allegedly, exclusively animal flesh/secretion-based nutrient) So wonderful that you can show them 'the ticket' as it were.

The baked almond feta looks dangerous (in a good way of course)! I was going to start making it now, but no lemons so it'll have to wait till tomorrow. I can hardly wait!

The recipes which MapleSpice has then used it in look even more naughty!

Here they are for those that might have missed them:

Roasted Red Pepper and Asparagus Almond Feta Flan

Greek Style Orzo, Spinach and Almond Feta Bake

Spanakopita!

Jumbo Pasta Shells stuffed with Basil Almond Feta with a Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce

Mediterranean Couscous Salad with Almond Feta

Pizza with Almond Feta, Spinach, Black Olives, Pine Nuts and Spring Onion

Buckwheat Crêpes filled with Spinach, Almond Feta and Walnuts with a Tomato Cream Sauce - Soy and Gluten Free!

Curried Carrot, Zucchini and Almond Feta Fritters

Hickory Smoked Baked Almond Cheese

Baby Spinach Salad with Sage Roasted Sweet Potato, Walnuts and Almond Feta

Creamy Lemon Barley Salad with Asparagus and Peppered Almond Feta

Creamy Almond Feta, Tomato and Basil Shells

Summer Berry & Almond Cheesecake Tart

Über yummmm!
    Last edited by Akasha; 25th June 2015 at 18:33.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

DeDukshyn (25th June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (25th June 2015), Noir (25th June 2015)

25. Link to Post #133
    Thanks

Cuddling a 1500 pound basset hound at Sacha Farm Animal Sanctuary, Michigan, USA:

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Elainie (25th June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (25th June 2015), kat (26th June 2015), Noir (25th June 2015)

27. Link to Post #134
    Thanks

Hi folks!
    I love this thread so far (haven't had the time to read it complete though to look at all the recipes)

Yesterday i got my blood test results and my doctor was really happy (and me too):
    We checked everything: vitamin D3, B12, colesterol, aminoacids, and all the rest you can get tested really. It has been expensive for me because most of the things I had to pay myself. But I wanted to do this since a long time.
    I am super healthy! She said to me that she hasn't seen such good results in years and that she doesn't care if I'm a vegan or whatever I want, as long as I keep eating like I had been because it works really good.

She even took extra time just to talk about what I eat normally because she was so curious. And honestly my food choices are quite simple because i dont like cooking.
    My iron levels are very good too, so she told me that in the last decade she's noticed that the people with the better iron levels allways are the vegetarians and vegans. They either get more iron from veggies than from a steak, or the body absorbs it better. And this is coming from a doctor (she's one of the bests in the city by the way).

When I got to tell this results to the people/friends that are allways geting in my nerves telling me I live so unhealthy because of vegan food... (Wich interestingly enough they have all health problems but don't listen anyway)

Cheers

And I am not taking about myself only, most of the vegan people I know are much healthier than the "omnivores" I know.
    "I am super healthy!" Of course you are. What did you expect?

"She said to me that she hasn't seen such good results in years and that she doesn't care if I'm a vegan or whatever I want, as long as I keep eating like I had been because it works really good."
    Perhaps she ( your doctor ) should practice your medicine. It's always good if whomever the 'medical professional' is you visit is versed in nutrition. I searched long and hard to find one that not only knows good nutrition but is vegan herself.

"And the cherry on top for me?
    When I got to tell this results to the people/friends that are allways geting in my nerves telling me I live so unhealthy because of vegan food... (Wich interestingly enough they have all health problems but don't listen anyway)"
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, "You can't fix stupid!"

BTW: Welcome back!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

Akasha (25th June 2015), Elainie (25th June 2015), Noir (25th June 2015)

29. Link to Post #135
    United States Avalon Member Elainie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,547 times in 787 posts

Quote Posted by Hip Hipnotist (here)
    Hi folks!

Cheers

"I am super healthy!" Of course you are. What did you expect?

"She said to me that she hasn't seen such good results in years and that she doesn't care if I'm a vegan or whatever I want, as long as I keep eating like I had been because it works really good."
    Perhaps she ( your doctor ) should practice your medicine. It's always good if whomever the 'medical professional' is you visit is versed in nutrition. I searched long and hard to find one that not only knows good nutrition but is vegan herself.

"And the cherry on top for me?
    When I got to tell this results to the people/friends that are allways geting in my nerves telling me I live so unhealthy because of vegan food... (Wich interestingly enough they have all health problems but don't listen anyway)"
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, "You can't fix stupid!"

BTW: Welcome back!

Yes, not surprised at results either. I get an intracellular nutrient test done every year (Spectracell) so I know what's going on. My nutrient levels are above optimal. And that includes nutrients they say are hard to obtain on all plant diets such as retinol and vitamin K's (hello juicing, I thank you very much).................I too go to a vegan ND here. My previous MD I used pushed the paleo agenda a bit too much for our liking (my family) so we switched.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elainie For This Post:

Akasha (25th June 2015), Hip Hipnotist (25th June 2015), Noir (25th June 2015)

31. Link to Post #136
    Thanks

I neglected to mention in my previous post that I get my blood levels checked every six months and prior to having it drawn I DO NOT take any supplements for three weeks prior to the test. I want to know my blood content/levels without any supplement augmentation. The results are consistently optimal. That's just from food. Of course there are other factors influencing blood count/ratios but nutrition is paramount.

So yes, you ( certainly me ) can get all the nutrients the body ( certainly mine ) needs to function as it was intended by eating a mostly plane-based diet. Probably an only plant-based diet.

So where's all the other vegan heads on the forum? This seems like a private party. Come on kids, speak up. I know you're out there. Jump in. The water's fine. We really don't bite.

Unless, of course, you happen to be of a plant-based nature then you WILL be consumed!

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hip Hipnotist For This Post:

Akasha (25th June 2015), Constance (22nd August 2015), kat (26th June 2015), Noir (25th June 2015)

33. Link to Post #137
    Thanks

Well, since i haven't done any sport in about 3 years I was expecting something like "Your test results could look better"...
    After all, just going for an hour walk couple times a week or so it's not enough excercise. I know I have to start doing more (i have some kilograms to loose and since I love eating diets are not for me)

Apparently there are no vegan doctors in my city. I looked some time ago but found none. Well, this is a small city after all. But this one is ok (for the time being).

I forgot to warn you: Beware of the almond Feta. It'll get you hooked after one try. :D

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Noir For This Post:

Akasha (26th June 2015)

35. Link to Post #138
    Australia Avalon Member Napping's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi guys,

Well, I've been inspired to make a change in my eating habits after hearing people's points of view and some introspection I think I owe it to myself to at least try seeing what it's like to spend two days a week without meat. I'm not going as far as vegan, I genuinely don't see an issue with eating free range eggs, milk etc, but certainly will be going meat free and my wife and I will start looking at vegetarian meal options. Who knows where we wil go from there.

I have to be clear that my decision is a moral one, not health based. There is no evidence that a balanced diet INCLUDING lean meat is any worse on a population level than a plant based diet or vegetarian diet. There are always individual exceptions, but that goes for everything. I'm actually very healthy, just retired from semi elite sport and come from a family of meat lovers whom all live through to their 80's and 90's as strong as ox's. My old man still competes in 14km running races and he's 81.

So it's a moral decision. I still have difficulty accepting that what ended up on my plate wouldn't have got there if I was the one that had to do the killing. I still debate as to whether it's simply me being softened by the pet loving society I live in or whether it's genuine in built compassion for another living creature.

Let's start at two days and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

Matt

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Napping For This Post:

Akasha (25th June 2015), Elainie (25th June 2015), Noir (25th June 2015)

37. Link to Post #139
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

As this is my first post, I'd like to say HI to all.
    Here is my reason for going vegan. There was a 1 hour documentary on the "Free Speech" channel
    called "Curing cancer from within" which I taped.
    A few months later, my daughter contracted colon cancer, so I told her to watch this show and follow the advice
    that was given. And yes, the 4 or 5 doctors on the show all highly recommended a vegan diet for curing cancer.
    Her own doctor found a large tumor and recommended surgery. Before her next appointment in 2 weeks, she closely
    followed the vegan diet. After the doctor checked her over again, he was utterly amazed at how that large tumor
    had shrunk down to less than half it's original size. After telling him what she was doing, he just said "Whatever
    you're doing just keep it up" as surgery is now not necessary.
    She is now a firm believer in this diet and said I had saved her life.

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to INFONUT For This Post:

Akasha (26th June 2015), drneglector (21st February 2016), Earthlink (26th June 2015), Elainie (26th June 2015), kat (26th June 2015), Noir (26th June 2015), Wind (26th June 2015)

39. Link to Post #140
    Thanks

Quote Posted by INFONUT (here)
    As this is my first post, I'd like to say HI to all.
    Here is my reason for going vegan. There was a 1 hour documentary on the "Free Speech" channel
    called "Curing cancer from within" which I taped.
    A few months later, my daughter contracted colon cancer, so I told her to watch this show and follow the advice
    that was given. And yes, the 4 or 5 doctors on the show all highly recommended a vegan diet for curing cancer.
    Her own doctor found a large tumor and recommended surgery. Before her next appointment in 2 weeks, she closely
    followed the vegan diet. After the doctor checked her over again, he was utterly amazed at how that large tumor
    had shrunk down to less than half it's original size. After telling him what she was doing, he just said "Whatever
    you're doing just keep it up" as surgery is now not necessary.
    She is now a firm believer in this diet and said I had saved her life.

A big welcome to Avalon, Infonut and thanks for sharing your experience. Truly profound!

I searched for the title Curing Cancer from Within but could only find Healing Cancer from the Inside Out (IMDb review here) which is two hours as opposed to the one hour documentary you mentioned in your post. It features T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, as well as Charlotte Gerson, daughter of The Gerson Therapy creator, Max Gerson, and John McDougall, author of The Starch Solution to name but a few. I don't know for sure but I suspect you might have seen one part of a two part broadcast of that.

Here it is, and I would say it's essential viewing for those dealing with cancer, either themselves or through someone they know:

Last edited by Akasha; 26th June 2015 at 11:56.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Earthlink (26th June 2015), INFONUT (26th June 2015), Noir (26th June 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst 1 7 17 43 LastLast