+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst 1 8 18 43 LastLast

Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #141
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

You are absolutely right Akasha. I had just taken a quick guess as to title and length. Really glad that you found it as I'm sure
    it will help many people.
    Last edited by INFONUT; 26th June 2015 at 16:16. Reason: spelling error

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to INFONUT For This Post:

Akasha (26th June 2015), Noir (26th June 2015)

3. Link to Post #142
    Thanks

Hi Infonut!
    Welcome to the forum!
    Would you like to post the video also in the books and videos section so more people see it? Because there is not much people reading this thread but there more folks may see it.
    I think this is important.
    ~May the light shine with you. And within you~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Noir For This Post:

Akasha (28th June 2015)

5. Link to Post #143
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Hi Noir:
    It was Akasha that found it on the internet, so perhaps he could repost it in that section.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to INFONUT For This Post:

Akasha (29th June 2015), Noir (29th June 2015)

7. Link to Post #144
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,162 times in 1,389 posts

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    .....here's a life-saving (for an ex-cheese head like me at least) recipe for moxarella cheese as a really handy vegan mozzarella replacement, suitable for cheese on toast, topping for broccoli 'cheese' bake and of course vegan pizza. It really helped me get over my cheese addiction when I transitioned from vegetarian to vegan, so here goes:

Moxarella Cheese

Ingredients:

75 gm cashews (unsalted)

350 ml hot water

5 TBS tapioca flour

2 tsp Dijon mustard

2 TBS olive oil

2 cloves of garlic

1 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt

2 tsp lemon juice

3 TBS nutritional yeast

Blend all the ingredients in a jug blender until smooth, then transfer to a saucepan and cook on a low heat stirring continually until thick, and I mean thick. Once the tapioca flour has done it's work, the blended ingredients will have transformed into a very thick lump.....
    I made pizza today and fine tuned the moxarella a bit. The revised recipe is below. I only changed the ratios a little bit - basically more cashews and lemon juice and less water and tapioca flour.

Moxarella Cheese

Ingredients:

100 gm cashews (unsalted)

200 ml hot water

3 TBS tapioca flour

2 tsp Dijon mustard

3 TBS olive oil

4 cloves of garlic

1 tsp Himalayan salt

3 tsp lemon juice

3 TBS nutritional yeast

Blend all the ingredients in a jug blender until smooth, then transfer to a saucepan and cook on a low heat stirring continually until thick, and I mean thick. Once the tapioca flour has done it's work, the blended ingredients will have transformed into a very thick lump. This can then be transferred to an oiled (I use sunflower oil) glass/ceramic bowl, with sufficient oil to submerge the cheese in order to stop it sticking to the bowl as well as keeping the air out and thus preserving it for up to a week in the fridge.

To use it, I normally slice off a suitable sized lump, put it on a cutting board and then slice that into small strips which I then top the pizza or other dish with. It's predictably a bit messier than just grating mozzarella but when you factor in ethics and health, I'd say it's more than worth it.
    Last edited by Akasha; 22nd November 2015 at 20:59.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Agape (29th June 2015), Ulyse30 (3rd July 2015)

9. Link to Post #145
    Thanks

Emily from Bite Size Vegan interviews parkour legend and high profile vegan, Tim Shieff:

Some more jaw dropping, crazy @ss sh!t from Tim:

Plant-based high carb' ftw!
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Earthlink (13th July 2015), Ulyse30 (3rd July 2015)

11. Link to Post #146
    Thanks

Quote Posted by INFONUT (here)
    Hi Noir:
    It was Akasha that found it on the internet, so perhaps he could repost it in that section.
    Done!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Noir (29th June 2015), Ulyse30 (3rd July 2015)

13. Link to Post #147
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,241 times in 4,595 posts

I like these black mushrooms :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auricu...auricula-judae

http://www.cookingindex.com/recipes/...-mushrooms.htm

They can be added to salads , vegetables , soups, eaten with rice or just alone as they are . In Chinese kitchen they even don't boil them , soak them in water for an hour and they grow big on the plate , I prefer to boil things of this kind , for ten minutes at least , in salted water .
    They're very tasty , filling , said to be very good for cleansing organism and even contain some anti-cancer agents .

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

Akasha (29th June 2015), The Alley Cat (29th June 2015), Ulyse30 (3rd July 2015)

15. Link to Post #148
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Agape (here)
    I like these black mushrooms :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auricu...auricula-judae

http://www.cookingindex.com/recipes/...-mushrooms.htm

They can be added to salads , vegetables , soups, eaten with rice or just alone as they are . In Chinese kitchen they even don't boil them , soak them in water for an hour and they grow big on the plate , I prefer to boil things of this kind , for ten minutes at least , in salted water .
    They're very tasty , filling , said to be very good for cleansing organism and even contain some anti-cancer agents .

@5.33 of Michael Greger's annual presentation from 2013 (full video below):

Quote You split people in two groups, half on their normal diet and half eat their normal diet with cooked white button mushroooms every day for a week, no change in the control group, but after a week of mushrooms, anti-body secretion jumped 50% and even stayed up there for a week after they stopped.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-8ovk81nNM#t=292

(sorry for lack of video - Youtube embedder misbehaving again)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Ulyse30 (3rd July 2015)

17. Link to Post #149
    Thanks

Quote "in another video, I talked about my belief that consciousness is, in effect, the universe looking at itself, experiencing itself, and whilst I am only experiencing my individual consciousness, I, comma, The Universe, I, Universe am also experiencing you, simultaneously. We are, essentially, the same creature, and my dogs who are both asleep in the hallway, they are The Universe, simultaneously being experienced by me, The Universe, and as soon as this unit, this flesh body ceases to exist, The Universe will experience itself anew, again and again and again and there'll be a kind of de-facto reincarnation, not that my individual consciousness will float out because my individual consciousness is just a single representation of the universe, and it frightens me because there's a very good chance that I'll be coming back as a factory-farmed animal - I'll probably spend a few lives as a micro-organism, but realistically i'm likely to be a tortured ****** factory farmed animal long before I'm a human again………and I think the vegan exercise is an attempt to make the world nicer, ready for when I, comma, The Universe re-experience myself again and again after that - perhaps I can stop experiencing sh!tty lifestyles….."
    A poignant quote from ViolentVegan (his name is purely ironic) whilst self-reflecting in the video below.

18. Link to Post #150
    Thanks

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

I just finished watching a couple of documentaries on Sea Shepherd and it's founder, Paul Watson and I feel they fit into the spirit of this thread so here they are, but first, a short description on the subject of the illegality of drift netting courtesy of Wiki', a particularly destructive method of fishing which Sea Shepherd actively opposes:

Quote .....Each country has jurisdiction over the waters within 200 nautical miles of their shores, called the exclusive economic zone, set by the Law of the Sea. Outside these boundaries lie international waters, or the high seas. While fishing in international waters, vessels must comply with regulations of the country in whose flag they fly, but there are no enforcers on the high seas. International waters make up 50% of the world's surface, yet are its least protected habitat.
    Declining fish stocks have caused illegal fishing practices to increase. Illegal, unregulated, or unreported fishing catch between 11 and 26 million tons a year which accounts for one quarter of global catch. Illegal fishing includes taking undersized fish, fishing in closed waters, taking more fish than permitted, or fishing during seasonal closures. Illegal fishing is prominent due to lack of enforcement or punishments.
    Despite controls, violations of drift net fishing laws are commonplace. The Mediterranean Sea is the most overexploited. With 21 modern states with coastline on the sea, there are many fisheries harvesting one small area. When drift net gear was banned, manufacturers modified the design of the nets so they no longer fell under the banned definition. A new definition was established in 2007 as "any gillnet held on the sea surface or at a certain distance below it by floating devices, drifting with the current, either independently or with the boat to which it may be attached. It may be equipped with devices aiming to stabilize the net or to limit drift".
    Japanese drift net fishing began to draw public attention in the mid-1980s when Japan and other Asian countries began to send large fleets to the North Pacific Ocean to catch tuna and squid. Japan operated about 900 drift net vessels, earning around $300 million a year. Those fishing boats were blamed not only for indiscriminate destruction of marine life, but also for poaching North Pacific salmon, harming the U.S. and Canadian fishing industries, and threatening the jobs of fishermen who did not use such methods. The first Bush administration opposed a U.S. driftnet ban because it would allegedly conflict with a treaty with Japan and Canada regarding salmon fishing in the North Pacific.....
    Here's the first documentary, entitled Confessions of an Eco-Terrorist:

IMDb rating: 7.5/10

IMDb review of Confessions of an Eco-Terrorist:

Quote Peter Brown has managed to capture the essence of what drives certain people who are committed to working to save what is left of the biodiversity of our planet. The movie depicts activists in their most valiant moments and presents them, warts and all, in a humorous manner. The "eco-destroyers" are also presented in a mostly humorous manner. This documentary differs from all others made about the environmental movement in that it uses humor to inform, educate and entertain. "Confessions of an Eco-Terrorist" is an accurate portrayal of the major campaigns that Sea Shepherd has engaged in over the years and the day to day life of the crew members and activists. Of course the ultimate irony is that the Sea Shepherd activists are not really the eco-terrorists, the people terrorizing the planet are the true eco-terrorists!
    The second documentary, Eco-Pirate: The Story of Paul Watson, focuses on Sea Shepherd founder, Paul Watson.

IMDb rating: 7.8/10

Review from IMDb:

Quote "Eco-Pirate" tells the story of a man on a mission to save the planet and its oceans. The film follows professional radical ecologist, Captain Paul Watson as he repeatedly flouts the law, so that he may apprehend what he sees as the more serious law-breakers: the illegal poachers of the world. Using verité sequences shot aboard his ship as a framing device, the documentary examines Watson's personal history as an activist through archival footage and interviews, while revealing the impact of this relentless pursuit on his personal life. From the genesis of Greenpeace to sinking a pirate whaling ship off Portugal, and from clashes with fisherman in the Galapagos to Watson's recent headline-grabbing battles with the Japanese whaling fleet in Antarctica, the film chronicles the extraordinary life of the most controversial figure in the environmental movement; the heroics, the ego, the urgency of the world's original eco-pirate.
    Excerpt of narration from the documentary:

Quote Paul Watson: Well why are the Russians killing these whales? They don't eat whale meat but they use the spermaceti oil as a heat-resistant lubricating oil, and one of the products they were making with it was intercontinental ballistic missiles, so I said here we are destroying this intelligent, gentle, socially complex creature for the purpose of making a weapon meant for the mass-extermination of human beings and that's when it just struck me that, err, we're insane, so i said I can't do what I do for people anymore, we're crazy!
    There is also the immensely popular Animal Planet series, Whale Wars, based on the whale protection activities of Sea Shepherd since 2007, now in its seventh series:

https://www.youtube.com/results?filt...wars&lclk=long

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Bob (13th July 2015), Noir (11th July 2015), Pam (9th July 2015), Robin (4th July 2015)

20. Link to Post #151
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,600 times in 1,987 posts

I thought of you guys when I found this

http://food52.com/recipes/24716-raw-vegan-pecan-pie

I am so going to try this recipe.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

Agape (12th July 2015), Akasha (9th July 2015), Noir (11th July 2015), Pam (9th July 2015)

22. Link to Post #152
    Thanks

.....When we see how largely as-yet unconditioned souls, i.e. very young children respond to animals currently regarded as food, the results speak for themselves. No doubt many parents of young children are rueing the day when they will have to explain the reality of the fate of those cuddly farmyard creatures. To me, it seems the common strategy is to ween the child onto the stuff early enough so that when it does make the connection, the addiction will be sufficiently established as to overcome the revulsion to the notion.

It should also be worth noting that one of the childhood pre-cursors to psychopathy is cruelty towards animals, so kids are normal if they don't exhibit that behaviour and yet are coerced into it by social / parental conditioning.....and we wonder why we have a messed up world. Seems like a no-brainer to me.....
    Out of the mouths.....

Last edited by Akasha; 19th July 2015 at 00:04.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (22nd August 2015), Earthlink (13th July 2015), Pam (15th July 2015)

24. Link to Post #153
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

I just finished watching a couple of documentaries on Sea Shepherd and it's founder, Paul Watson and I feel they fit into the spirit of this thread so here they are, but first, a short description on the subject of the illegality of drift netting courtesy of Wiki', a particularly destructive method of fishing which Sea Shepherd actively opposes:

Quote .....Each country has jurisdiction over the waters within 200 nautical miles of their shores, called the exclusive economic zone, set by the Law of the Sea. Outside these boundaries lie international waters, or the high seas. While fishing in international waters, vessels must comply with regulations of the country in whose flag they fly, but there are no enforcers on the high seas. International waters make up 50% of the world's surface, yet are its least protected habitat.
    Declining fish stocks have caused illegal fishing practices to increase. Illegal, unregulated, or unreported fishing catch between 11 and 26 million tons a year which accounts for one quarter of global catch. Illegal fishing includes taking undersized fish, fishing in closed waters, taking more fish than permitted, or fishing during seasonal closures. Illegal fishing is prominent due to lack of enforcement or punishments.
    Despite controls, violations of drift net fishing laws are commonplace. The Mediterranean Sea is the most overexploited. With 21 modern states with coastline on the sea, there are many fisheries harvesting one small area. When drift net gear was banned, manufacturers modified the design of the nets so they no longer fell under the banned definition. A new definition was established in 2007 as "any gillnet held on the sea surface or at a certain distance below it by floating devices, drifting with the current, either independently or with the boat to which it may be attached. It may be equipped with devices aiming to stabilize the net or to limit drift".
    Japanese drift net fishing began to draw public attention in the mid-1980s when Japan and other Asian countries began to send large fleets to the North Pacific Ocean to catch tuna and squid. Japan operated about 900 drift net vessels, earning around $300 million a year. Those fishing boats were blamed not only for indiscriminate destruction of marine life, but also for poaching North Pacific salmon, harming the U.S. and Canadian fishing industries, and threatening the jobs of fishermen who did not use such methods. The first Bush administration opposed a U.S. driftnet ban because it would allegedly conflict with a treaty with Japan and Canada regarding salmon fishing in the North Pacific.....
    Here's the first documentary, entitled Confessions of an Eco-Terrorist:

IMDb rating: 7.5/10

IMDb review of Confessions of an Eco-Terrorist:

Quote Peter Brown has managed to capture the essence of what drives certain people who are committed to working to save what is left of the biodiversity of our planet. The movie depicts activists in their most valiant moments and presents them, warts and all, in a humorous manner. The "eco-destroyers" are also presented in a mostly humorous manner. This documentary differs from all others made about the environmental movement in that it uses humor to inform, educate and entertain. "Confessions of an Eco-Terrorist" is an accurate portrayal of the major campaigns that Sea Shepherd has engaged in over the years and the day to day life of the crew members and activists. Of course the ultimate irony is that the Sea Shepherd activists are not really the eco-terrorists, the people terrorizing the planet are the true eco-terrorists!
    The second documentary, Eco-Pirate: The Story of Paul Watson, focuses on Sea Shepherd founder, Paul Watson.

IMDb rating: 7.8/10

Review from IMDb:

Quote "Eco-Pirate" tells the story of a man on a mission to save the planet and its oceans. The film follows professional radical ecologist, Captain Paul Watson as he repeatedly flouts the law, so that he may apprehend what he sees as the more serious law-breakers: the illegal poachers of the world. Using verité sequences shot aboard his ship as a framing device, the documentary examines Watson's personal history as an activist through archival footage and interviews, while revealing the impact of this relentless pursuit on his personal life. From the genesis of Greenpeace to sinking a pirate whaling ship off Portugal, and from clashes with fisherman in the Galapagos to Watson's recent headline-grabbing battles with the Japanese whaling fleet in Antarctica, the film chronicles the extraordinary life of the most controversial figure in the environmental movement; the heroics, the ego, the urgency of the world's original eco-pirate.
    Excerpt of narration from the documentary:

Quote Paul Watson: Well why are the Russians killing these whales? They don't eat whale meat but they use the spermaceti oil as a heat-resistant lubricating oil, and one of the products they were making with it was intercontinental ballistic missiles, so I said here we are destroying this intelligent, gentle, socially complex creature for the purpose of making a weapon meant for the mass-extermination of human beings and that's when it just struck me that, err, we're insane, so i said I can't do what I do for people anymore, we're crazy!
    There is also the immensely popular Animal Planet series, Whale Wars, based on the whale protection activities of Sea Shepherd since 2007, now in its seventh series:

https://www.youtube.com/results?filt...wars&lclk=long
    I've spoken to Peter, and Capt. Paul personally a few years ago. We discussed many interesting things.. solutions.. actually.

25. Link to Post #154
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    .....I've spoken to Peter, and Capt. Paul personally a few years ago. We discussed many interesting things.. solutions.. actually.....
    Wow!!! Tell me more! The man is a legend for sure!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Bob (13th July 2015), Pam (15th July 2015), Robin (14th July 2015)

27. Link to Post #155
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

.....I've spoken to Peter, and Capt. Paul personally a few years ago. We discussed many interesting things.. solutions.. actually.....
    We discussed solutions. The Spud shooter was my idea. Also, there was a discussion about 'what if' the Japanese could feel what it was like to be a whale being harpooned.. Would they realize what that is like, being in 'their' flippers so to speak..

Both Paul and Peter's vibes are COMPASSION, not anger, - - - focused compassion..

28. Link to Post #156
    Thanks

We discussed solutions. The Spud shooter was my idea. Also, there was a discussion about 'what if' the Japanese could feel what it was like to be a whale being harpooned.. Would they realize what that is like, being in 'their' flippers so to speak..

Both Paul and Peter's vibes are COMPASSION, not anger, - - - focused compassion..
    I'm working my way through Whale Wars and just finished season 3 which is where the spud gun is introduced into the Sea Shepherd arsenal if I'm not mistaken. It certainly worked a treat in splatting the research sign with (blood)-red paint, not to mention getting the butyric acid on the loading ramp of the factory ship so major respect and congratulations for its inception!

I totally get what you are saying about their attitude of focused compassion. It's an example to us all.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Bob (14th July 2015), Pam (15th July 2015), Robin (14th July 2015)

30. Link to Post #157
    Thanks

Below is a fascinating and constructive dialogue between two intellectual heavy hitters - Peter Singer, author of animal rights bible, Animal Liberation, and Richard Dawkins, author of, well, take your pick, which unflinchingly traverses many challenging, moral territories as one might expect from a meeting of such minds.

One of the quotes from the dialogue which particularly stood out for me was:

Quote Dawkins @ 29.25 : …..but undoubtedly far more suffering goes on in farms which leaves me (a meat eater - ed) in a very difficult moral position, I mean, you have a very, very strong point when you say that anybody who eat meat has a very, very strong obligation to think seriously about it, and I don't find any very good defence. I find myself in exactly the same position as you or I would have been, well probably you wouldn't have been but I might have been, 200 years ago, perhaps a bit longer ago than that, talking about slavery, where somebody like Thomas Jefferson, a man of very sound ethical principles, kept slaves - it was just what one did. I mean it was the societal norm…..and so I'm a bit reminded of the Flanders and Swan song, 'You Don't Eat People'…..a song about a cannibal feast and one of the young men of the society objected to eating people. "Eating people is wrong", and so his father put his arm around him and said, "nah, don't be silly son, people have always eaten people. If the Juju hadn't meant us to eat people, he wouldn't have made us of meat"…..and the final line is, "next thing you'll be saying is that we shouldn't eat animals", and then the son just roars with laughter, "don't eat animals? What a ridiculous idea!".
    Well the historical precedent of slavery is, I think, actually rather a good one because there was a time when it was simply the norm. Everybody did it. Some people did it with gusto and relish. Other people, like Jefferson, did it reluctantly. I would have probably done it reluctantly. I would have just gone along with what society does, but I think it's extremely hard. It was hard to defend then yet everybody did it and that's the sort of position I find myself in now and I think what I'd like to see is people like you having far greater effect upon, I would call it, consciousness-raising really, and try to swing it around so it becomes the societal norm not to eat meat.

When I heard the above, I was like, wow! Did Dawkins really just say all that?……and I was immediately reminded of the highly amusing, yet invaluable How to Start a Movement presentation (below):

For all his wisdom and intellect, Richard needs to recognise that he is the most important factor in such a transformation. It's the follower, potentially Dawkins or you or me, who ultimately transforms the lone nut, in this instance, Peter Singer (sorry Peter!), into a leader, by validating his message through supportive action.

It's also worth highlighting that the intellectual apologists of carnism are invariably the most influential opponents in this debate and as one of the highest profile intellectuals on the planet, I'm not sure if Richard truly realises how significant he could be in exacting the change he passively rests on the shoulders of Singer et al.....if, and it's a obviously a big if, he stepped up to the plate.

Despite the fact that he hadn't managed to make that connection (yet), I found myself increasingly respecting Richard for his transparency in his admission of the moral indefensibility of his diet. His honesty on the topic was a rare but extremely welcome change from the usual arguments.

So, Richard (and anyone who secretly identifies with his predicament), If you're reading this, be the change and go vegan!
    Last edited by Akasha; 15th July 2015 at 18:15.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Robin (15th July 2015)

32. Link to Post #158
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

I would say that this is a must-see companion-piece to the documentary Cowspiracy. One cannot call themselves an Environmentalist without being vegan. It is a logical fallacy. The only reason that world governments say that humans are overpopulated is because nearly half of all land occupied on this planet is solely devoted to animal agriculture. If we cut out animals out of our diet, half of the continental U.S. alone could be devoted to both wildlife sanctuaries and more space for humans, not to mention growing more food to feed every single human on this planet and end starvation indefinitely.

And we on Avalon are still debating semantics concerning Reptilians...?

"Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Akasha (15th July 2015), drneglector (21st February 2016), Pam (15th July 2015)

34. Link to Post #159
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Robin (here)
    I would say that this is a must-see companion-piece to the documentary Cowspiracy. One cannot call themselves an Environmentalist without being vegan. It is a logical fallacy. The only reason that world governments say that humans are overpopulated is because nearly half of all land occupied on this planet is solely devoted to animal agriculture. If we cut out animals out of our diet, half of the continental U.S. alone could be devoted to both wildlife sanctuaries and more space for humans, not to mention growing more food to feed every single human on this planet and end starvation indefinitely.

And we on Avalon are still debating semantics concerning Reptilians...?

For those who watched in disbelief at the quoted figures in the video, here's the link to the transcript and all cited documents:

http://www.bitesizevegan.com/environ...nutes-or-less/

For those who didn't watch it, please do so, preferably now.

These numbers are not going to disappear simply by putting our attention some place else. With as much respect as I can currently muster, that is new age bull-type thinking, perniciously encouraged for the very purpose of allowing this scale of (very profitable) environmental, not to mention human, and dare I say it animal, destruction to continue.

To be honest, the silence is a little too deafening for my liking.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

drneglector (21st February 2016)

36. Link to Post #160
    Thanks

Ag gag. What is it?

Quote Ag-gag is a term used to describe a class of anti-whistleblower laws in the United States and Australia that apply within the agriculture industry. Coined by Mark Bittman in an April 2011 New York Times column, the term "ag-gag" typically refers to state laws that forbid the act of undercover filming or photography of activity on farms without the consent of their owner.[1] Some of these laws (in particular, Pennsylvania's) have a wider scope and could be used to criminalize actions by activists in other industries.[2]

Supporters of ag-gag laws have argued that they serve to protect the agriculture industry from the negative repercussions of exposés by whistleblowers. The proliferation of ag-gag laws have been criticized by various groups, arguing that the laws are intended primarily to censor animal rights abuses by the agriculture industry from the public, create a chilling effect in reporting these violations, and violate the right to freedom of speech.

From Wiki' here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst 1 8 18 43 LastLast