+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 1 9 19 43 LastLast

Thread: All Things Vegan!

1. Link to Post #161
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

Default Re: All Things Vegan!

Bacon-flavored seaweed. That's right, I did not stutter.

Am I too hopeful that this will help end society's stupid obsession with bacon (as well as heart disease and murder)?
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Akasha (17th July 2015), Constance (22nd August 2015), Elainie (31st July 2015), Noir (16th July 2015), Pam (30th July 2015), Selkie (16th July 2015)

3. Link to Post #162
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 times in 435 posts

More toxic artificial flavoring in that seaweed?!
    I say society's "obsession is a carefully controlled meme. Animal slaughter certainly whoops up large amounts of fear.
    this fear is generated into the atmosphere and into our bodies (not mine).
    Then there is promoting the real breakfast of, "eggs and bacon" which is a tidy combination of animal suffering and slavery.
    we don't need to eat animals to survive.
    we are living now and not in the past where conditions were different.

we need to evolve as a human species for the preservation of this planet. This requires the need to dissolve the killing gene.
    The earth has its natural predator-prey eco system. We are not part of this system.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lunaflare For This Post:

Akasha (17th July 2015), drneglector (21st February 2016), Noir (16th July 2015), Pam (17th July 2015)

5. Link to Post #163
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,600 times in 1,987 posts

Quote Posted by Robin (here)
    Bacon-flavored seaweed. That's right, I did not stutter.

Am I too hopeful that this will help end society's stupid obsession with bacon (as well as heart disease and murder)?
    Bacon heals all wounds. I am glad that vegans can have their own kind of bacon.

addition Btw, I really mean that. I am really glad that the vegans who miss bacon can have something that tastes like it.
    Last edited by Selkie; 16th July 2015 at 22:06.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

Akasha (17th July 2015), Noir (16th July 2015)

7. Link to Post #164
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,163 times in 1,390 posts

Quote Posted by Silkie (here)
    .....Bacon heals all wounds.....
    It didn't heal the fatal wounds of those who were slaughtered for its production. Those with the cognitive ability of dogs or beyond.

Personally, after successfully exorcising the bacon demon, the smell of it makes me want to vomit, just like when I walk down the meat aisle.

If I abstained from fruit and veg' for a period of time, would I similarly become repulsed by that?
    Last edited by Akasha; 17th July 2015 at 12:06.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (17th July 2015), Robin (17th July 2015)

9. Link to Post #165
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,600 times in 1,987 posts

Quote Posted by Akasha (here)
    It didn't heal the fatal wounds of those who were slaughtered for its production. Those with the cognitive ability of dogs or beyond.

Personally, after successfully exorcising the bacon demon, the smell of it makes me want to vomit, just like when I walk down the meat aisle.

If I abstained from fruit and veg' for a period of time, would I similarly become repulsed by that?
    I was thinking of those vegans who might miss bacon, and so might find pleasure in having a substitute. Such a substitute might keep them on the vegan straight-and-narrow when they are tempted to venture off of it. I was also thinking of folks who might want to go vegan, but do not do so because they will miss certain foods from the meat-eating life style. A bacon-like product could be a deciding factor for them to venture into the world of veganism
    Last edited by Selkie; 17th July 2015 at 14:09.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selkie For This Post:

Akasha (17th July 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (17th July 2015), Robin (17th July 2015)

11. Link to Post #166
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

First of all, I want to to let you know, Akasha, how much I appreciate what you are doing. I consider it the most important work that can be done at this time. You are extremely effective with your words. You are a role model for me. You never shy away from your message and yet you can be respectful at the same time, and that is an art form in my estimation.

In regards, to bacon and other meats. It is true that you can purchase any type of fake meat in vegan form. If one is craving meat, I wonder if it is not the seasonings and the feeling of eating something substantial that is really being craved. I have found that I can prepare extra firm tofu and it will nicely meet those requirements. Never tried to make it taste like bacon , though.

It's interesting, I used to be able avoid the thoughts of exactly what someone is eating when I see someone eating meat, and now I am repulsed by it. It is as painful to me as seeing a plate with my favorite dog served on it. And really is it any different? If people could imagine their companion animals going through the slaughtering process. If they could see the terror in their much loved animals eyes would they begin to have some empathy?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Akasha (17th July 2015), drneglector (21st February 2016), Noir (14th August 2015), Robin (17th July 2015), Selkie (17th July 2015)

13. Link to Post #167
    Thanks

Quote we need to evolve as a human species for the preservation of this planet. This requires the need to dissolve the killing gene.
    The earth has its natural predator-prey eco system. We are not part of this system.

I have never considered this before. That humans are not part of the predator-prey eco system. I am aware that we do not seem to fit into the natural order in some respects. I know we are the only species that I am aware of that is not naturally equipped with enough protective covering to exist in all climates. I know that, at least as far as the animal kingdom is concerned we do not need to kill to survive. So now I am wondering what that would mean if we were not intended to be part of the predator-prey system? Lunaflare, would you expand on your statement ? Maybe I am misinterpreting, but I find this a fascinating idea. Maybe our purpose is to evolve from that meme.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Akasha (17th July 2015), drneglector (21st February 2016), Noir (14th August 2015), Robin (17th July 2015)

15. Link to Post #168
    Thanks

I was thinking of those vegans who might miss bacon, and so might find pleasure in having a substitute. Such a substitute might keep them on the vegan straight-and-narrow when they are tempted to venture off of it. I was also thinking of folks who might want to go vegan, but do not do so because they will miss certain foods from the meat-eating life style. A bacon-like product could be a deciding factor for them to venture into the world of veganism
    I appreciate your contributions Silkie (even if I might disagree with aspects of them) and you are absolutely right about fake meat keeping fresh (and some not-so-fresh) vegans on the 'straight and narrow'.

The conditioning goes deep.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (28th July 2015), Robin (17th July 2015), Selkie (17th July 2015)

17. Link to Post #169
    Thanks

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (22nd August 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (28th July 2015), Robin (17th July 2015)

19. Link to Post #170
    Thanks

'A Message to Humanity' from the Friendly Activist:

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (28th July 2015), Robin (18th July 2015)

21. Link to Post #171
    United States Avalon Member Robin's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,584 times in 1,239 posts

Here is a copied post from Larken Rose's Facebook on Voluntaryism, but one could also replace "abolitionist" with "vegan," which I added at the bottom. Kind of silly and obvious when you think about it, eh?

Plantation Owner (1815):
    “This whole ’abolitionist’ movement is just another silly, impractical, idealistic fad that will pass. Show me one successful example of a country functioning without slavery! Sure, there are problems with it, and there are abuses, but to think that humanity will ever exist without it is utopian and ridiculous! This is just human nature—this is how things are, and how they will always be, and the whining and complaining of these abolitionists isn’t going to change that!”

Statist (2015):
    “This whole ’voluntaryist’ movement is just another silly, impractical, idealistic fad that will pass. Show me one successful example of a country functioning without government! Sure, there are problems with it, and there are abuses, but to think that humanity will ever exist without it is utopian and ridiculous! This is just human nature—this is how things are, and how they will always be, and the whining and complaining of these voluntaryists isn’t going to change that!”

Omnivore (2015):
    “This whole ’vegan’ movement is just another silly, impractical, idealistic fad that will pass. Show me one successful example of a country functioning without animal exploitation! Sure, there are problems with it, and there are abuses, but to think that humanity will ever exist without it is utopian and ridiculous! This is just human nature—this is how things are, and how they will always be, and the whining and complaining of these vegans isn’t going to change that!”

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    ~ Ghandi
    "Rather than love, than fame, than money, give me truth."
    ~Henry David Thoreau

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Post:

Akasha (19th July 2015), Pam (28th July 2015)

23. Link to Post #172
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Robin (here)
    Here is a copied post from Larken Rose's Facebook on Voluntaryism, but one could also replace "abolitionist" with "vegan," which I added at the bottom. Kind of silly and obvious when you think about it, eh?

Plantation Owner (1815):
    “This whole ’abolitionist’ movement is just another silly, impractical, idealistic fad that will pass. Show me one successful example of a country functioning without slavery! Sure, there are problems with it, and there are abuses, but to think that humanity will ever exist without it is utopian and ridiculous! This is just human nature—this is how things are, and how they will always be, and the whining and complaining of these abolitionists isn’t going to change that!”

Statist (2015):
    “This whole ’voluntaryist’ movement is just another silly, impractical, idealistic fad that will pass. Show me one successful example of a country functioning without government! Sure, there are problems with it, and there are abuses, but to think that humanity will ever exist without it is utopian and ridiculous! This is just human nature—this is how things are, and how they will always be, and the whining and complaining of these voluntaryists isn’t going to change that!”

Omnivore (2015):
    “This whole ’vegan’ movement is just another silly, impractical, idealistic fad that will pass. Show me one successful example of a country functioning without animal exploitation! Sure, there are problems with it, and there are abuses, but to think that humanity will ever exist without it is utopian and ridiculous! This is just human nature—this is how things are, and how they will always be, and the whining and complaining of these vegans isn’t going to change that!”

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    ~ Ghandi
    I'm more convinced than ever that this transformation will be the most significant one mankind has gone through. That's not to belittle the previous social transformations which have taken place, after all, the other abolitionist movements paved the way for this one. Funny that this 'ism' is probably the oldest and therefore the most engrained into the human psyche - probably why it'll be the last to fall.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (30th July 2015)

25. Link to Post #173
    Thanks

Another great bit of social observation and analysis by Kerry McCarpet:

Quote …..but if we ate fox meat all the time, you know, tenderised by tooth of hound, we would treat fox hunting the same way we treat animal farming - we'd turn a blind eye to it and we'd be quite sketchy about the details as to how it got onto our plate in the first place, but we don't eat it and so if you ask someone in the street what's cruel about fox hunting, the really strange thing is they know…..they know all the details. They'll tell you "oh the fox is completely out-numbered and these dogs chase it until it's totally exhausted, and then they tear it apart in the most horrible, cruel way". Interesting they know this when none of them have ever been fox-hunting themselves, you know? This is a sport that really is the reserve of the rich so obviously there's a demand for articles on what happens in fox-hunting and people do go and read them, but if you ask the same people who have been eating meat for their entire lives and so are far more involved in that whole system than they are in fox-hunting....., ask them what is the process by which a cow gets killed in an abattoir and they won't know....."

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Noir (21st July 2015), Pam (28th July 2015)

27. Link to Post #174
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,511 times in 573 posts

fyi there is a successful chain of restaurants in the city of Beijing that is a vegetarian top end type chain, they have all sort of meat flavoured vegetarian dishes as well as just normal vegetarian dishes, and their locations are always pretty big and seat many, and they're always busy. They also have the worst of the worst in non-vegetarian foods in Beijing, but at least these and many other non animal product food sources are springing up all over, and with much participation from the population at large.

Until only very recently, their TV's and newspapers were one of our only sources of information on food and many other topics, so, we have some catching up to do, and it seems we are moving in this direction more all the time.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Earthlink For This Post:

Akasha (19th July 2015), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (28th July 2015)

29. Link to Post #175
    Thanks

Ultra-shiny Ralph Smart (Infinite Waters - Diving Deep) shares his perspective on transitioning to a plant-based diet:

…..and the 5 big lessons he learnt after being vegan for a decade:

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (28th July 2015)

31. Link to Post #176
    Thanks

A couple of days ago, Alex Hudson of London freebee newspaper Metro wrote a surprisingly bold but very welcome article about Ricky Gervais' highly vocal but somewhat selective concern regarding cruelty to (some) animals (here):

Quote 7 animals Ricky Gervais doesn’t care if you kill

In the last couple of days, Ricky Gervais has used his Twitter feed to bring to our attention instances of cruelty against beagles, bulls, chimpanzees, and pilot whales.
    So what animals are you allowed to kill in bizarre and horrific ways, without risking Ricky plastering your face all over social media, and suggesting people hunt you?

1. Toads
    In the first episode of the first series of An Idiot Abroad exec producers Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant pay to have toads pulled from a plastic bag and bashed against a rock so that we can see a look of slight discomfort on Karl Pilkington’s face.
    Killing animals in unpleasant ways is unacceptable if it’s for our entertainment, remember, but not if you’re being paid to broadcast that entertainment on Sky 1.

2. Turkeys

Ricky’s often said that his favourite meal is a roast turkey Christmas dinner. Pro tip: the annual slaughter of 800 pilot whales in the Faroe Islands is a ‘tragedy’. the annual slaughter of 17 million turkeys in the UK alone is ‘yummy’.

3. Pigs

What would Christmas dinner be without sausages wrapped in bacon? Not Christmas dinner at Ricky’s house, that’s for sure! ‘There will be little cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon, there’s no doubt about it,’ he told The Guardian. And what could be less cruel-sounding than ‘pigs in blankets’. They have blankets, you monsters!.....
    Kerry says it best (as usual):

Last edited by Akasha; 28th July 2015 at 11:48.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (28th July 2015)

33. Link to Post #177
    Thanks

A couple of days ago, Alex Hudson of London freebee newspaper Metro wrote a surprisingly bold but very welcome article about Ricky Gervais' highly vocal but somewhat selective concern regarding cruelty to (some) animals (here):

Quote 7 animals Ricky Gervais doesn’t care if you kill

In the last couple of days, Ricky Gervais has used his Twitter feed to bring to our attention instances of cruelty against beagles, bulls, chimpanzees, and pilot whales.
    So what animals are you allowed to kill in bizarre and horrific ways, without risking Ricky plastering your face all over social media, and suggesting people hunt you?

1. Toads
    In the first episode of the first series of An Idiot Abroad exec producers Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant pay to have toads pulled from a plastic bag and bashed against a rock so that we can see a look of slight discomfort on Karl Pilkington’s face.
    Killing animals in unpleasant ways is unacceptable if it’s for our entertainment, remember, but not if you’re being paid to broadcast that entertainment on Sky 1.

2. Turkeys

Ricky’s often said that his favourite meal is a roast turkey Christmas dinner. Pro tip: the annual slaughter of 800 pilot whales in the Faroe Islands is a ‘tragedy’. the annual slaughter of 17 million turkeys in the UK alone is ‘yummy’.

3. Pigs

What would Christmas dinner be without sausages wrapped in bacon? Not Christmas dinner at Ricky’s house, that’s for sure! ‘There will be little cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon, there’s no doubt about it,’ he told The Guardian. And what could be less cruel-sounding than ‘pigs in blankets’. They have blankets, you monsters!.....
    Kerry says it best (as usual):

I find this a really interesting mindset. I volunteer for a couple of animal welfare groups and there is a women there that I found myself admiring. She works with cats and is phenomenal with them. She raises multiple litters of abandoned kittens and does a lot of work with the trap, neuter, release program in our area. She is so compassionate to cats. I was talking with her one day when she began talking about how cute it was when she could arrange for the kittens to kill mice and how cute it was to watch them kill the mice. As I talked with her further, I began to see that her empathy for animals only goes as far as cats. I was really surprised at this. I found she is not the only one. There are people that would do anything for a horse that was in need but could care less about any other creature. There are others that will be very compassionate with animals and yet they eat meat. I am grateful that there are those that they help, no matter what there mindset is, but it is really interesting that the compassion stops so abruptly.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Akasha (28th July 2015), Earthlink (28th July 2015), Robin (28th July 2015), seko (28th July 2015)

35. Link to Post #178
    Thanks

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    .....As I talked with her further, I began to see that her empathy for animals only goes as far as cats. I was really surprised at this. I found she is not the only one. There are people that would do anything for a horse that was in need but could care less about any other creature. There are others that will be very compassionate with animals and yet they eat meat. I am grateful that there are those that they help, no matter what there mindset is, but it is really interesting that the compassion stops so abruptly.
    Once we collectively apply consistency to our empathy, i'm convinced we'll awaken to a new world.....but not before. As above so below.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (30th July 2015), Robin (29th July 2015)

37. Link to Post #179
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 times in 435 posts

Hi Peterpam, sorry for the tardy reply (but good to "bump" this thread).
    I believe the killing of animals, particularly factory farming which presents mass scale cruelty, is a skillfully controlled program that serves to diminish our humanity. By humanity, I mean an empathic awareness. As Akasha writes in the above post.Once we collectively apply consistency to our empathy, i'm convinced we'll awaken to a new world.....but not before. As above so below.

As above so below, however, can apply to the "power over" consciousness created by alien life-forms races that have little to no empathy. no heart-mind. I believe it is a non human trait to cause pain and suffering to sentient life-form. I am well aware that plants are sentient creatures, but for the purpose of living here- at this time, on planet earth- the Plant Kingdom/Queendom is necessary for our survival. Although in some Age it may have been possible to subsist on light-photons/i.e the sun.

Sanctioning the meme of killing animals takes us out of our heart mind and closes this heart vortex. Entrapment. Killing generates the energetic of fear and suffering. This pours into our atmosphere for us to ingest; physically and mentally. A muddied heart vortex disables a connection to Earth Mother and our imagination/source of All (where we create our realities/world). Human beings currently take, take, take.
    There are alien species that do the same; take, take, take (feeding from our energies). As above so below.

The humans of today create gross imbalance to Earth's eco-system. If we change our "meme" we change the "above". In other words,
    non heart centred entities feed from OUR fear (humans). WE (humans) feed from the fear from animal slaughter. As above so below.

We can change our ways and belief systems and thus develop/re-awaken our empathic heart centres.
    Last edited by lunaflare; 29th July 2015 at 02:57.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lunaflare For This Post:

Akasha (30th July 2015), drneglector (21st February 2016), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (30th July 2015)

39. Link to Post #180
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lunaflare (here)
    Hi Peterpam, sorry for the tardy reply (but good to "bump" this thread).
    I believe the killing of animals, particularly factory farming which presents mass scale cruelty, is a skillfully controlled program that serves to diminish our humanity. By humanity, I mean an empathic awareness. As Akasha writes in the above post.Once we collectively apply consistency to our empathy, i'm convinced we'll awaken to a new world.....but not before. As above so below.

As above so below, however, can apply to the "power over" consciousness created by alien life-forms races that have little to no empathy. no heart-mind. I believe it is a non human trait to cause pain and suffering to sentient life-form. I am well aware that plants are sentient creatures, but for the purpose of living here- at this time, on planet earth- the Plant Kingdom/Queendom is necessary for our survival. Although in some Age it may have been possible to subsist on light-photons/i.e the sun.

Sanctioning the meme of killing animals takes us out of our heart mind and closes this heart vortex. Entrapment. Killing generates the energetic of fear and suffering. This pours into our atmosphere for us to ingest; physically and mentally. A muddied heart vortex disables a connection to Earth Mother and our imagination/source of All (where we create our realities/world). Human beings currently take, take, take.
    There are alien species that do the same; take, take, take (feeding from our energies). As above so below.

The humans of today create gross imbalance to Earth's eco-system. If we change our "meme" we change the "above". In other words,
    non heart centred entities feed from OUR fear (humans). WE (humans) feed from the fear from animal slaughter. As above so below.

We can change our ways and belief systems and thus develop/re-awaken our empathic heart centres.
    great parallel, LF, although I can't personally speak from experience regarding alien life-forms. However, I would suggest that the ego is interchangeable with such 'off-worlders', being equally un-empathic except in circumstances where feigning such emotion becomes necessary to it's perceived survival.

The feeding of the ego is always motivated by fear too, again, being in direct contrast to heart-centered motivation.

Wether it's aliens, egos, aliens' egos or ours, the result as you pointed out is the same - disconnection. If we are being energetically farmed by Reptilians, going vegan will undermine that process considerably.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

drneglector (21st February 2016), Noir (14th August 2015), Pam (30th July 2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 1 9 19 43 LastLast