+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 115 FirstFirst 1 46 86 96 106 115 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2288

Thread: The Great Quotes thread

1. Link to Post #1901
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,214 times in 32,905 posts

Default Re: The Great Quotes thread

This is wrongly attributed to Euripides, but it's as true now as it would have been 2,400 years ago.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (10th November 2022), Carlitos (27th November 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), Kryztian (11th November 2022), kudzy (10th November 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (11th November 2022), pueblo (26th November 2022), Sue (Ayt) (10th November 2022), Tintin (10th November 2022), Violet3 (10th November 2022), Yoda (10th November 2022)

3. Link to Post #1902
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,784 times in 2,557 posts

The Unbroken
    There is a brokenness
    out of which comes the unbroken,
    a shatteredness
    out of which blooms the unshatterable.
    There is a sorrow
    beyond all grief which leads to joy
    and a fragility
    out of whose depths emerges strength.

There is a hollow space
    too vast for words
    through which we pass with each loss,
    out of whose darkness
    we are sanctioned into being.

There is a cry deeper than all sound
    whose serrated edges cut the heart
    as we break open to the place inside
    which is unbreakable and whole,
    while learning to sing.

Rashani Rea

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th November 2022), bojancan (16th December 2022), Franny (17th November 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), Kryztian (13th November 2022), pueblo (26th November 2022)

5. Link to Post #1903
    Thanks

A coward fears a thousand evils, and dies a thousand deaths.
    Ann Elizabeth Pennie, my grandmother (1876—1974)

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

bojancan (16th December 2022), Carlitos (27th November 2022), Eva2 (16th November 2022), Franny (17th November 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), Miller (18th December 2022), pueblo (26th November 2022), s7e6e (6th December 2022), Tintin (16th December 2022), Yoda (16th November 2022)

7. Link to Post #1904
    Thanks

Someone I "know" posted this but I'm not sure if she is the author or someone else is. This quote so rings true (for me) and I'm pretty sure Terence McKenna would agree!

'Culture denies experience. Its imposition seeks to destroy the innate lens of intuitive engagement. The paradigm rules your perceptual bias, subjugating a profound trust in the self, overwriting innate wonder with a second hand mythocracy. The world appears contextually to an indoctrinated enculturation, rendering you oblivious to its miraculous shimmer.
    Relinquish the programming, see the world cleansed of the miasmatic mire, a sleight of hand glamour juggling your attention, distracting you from the path of clarification. Rise, a phoenix from a pyre, borne aloft, scattering the cinderous ashes of lies. This alchemical fire extinguishes everything but the truth. This is your journey.'

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th November 2022), Franny (17th November 2022), happyuk (17th November 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), pueblo (26th November 2022)

9. Link to Post #1905
    Thanks

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
    Socrates

~~~

From Bill: I do think this might be the greatest quote I have ever heard.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 17th November 2022 at 21:48.

10. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

bojancan (16th December 2022), Eva2 (17th November 2022), ExomatrixTV (21st November 2022), Franny (17th November 2022), Innocent Warrior (18th November 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), kudzy (18th November 2022), Matthew (17th November 2022), Michi (17th November 2022), Miller (8th December 2022), NancyV (17th November 2022), pueblo (26th November 2022), s7e6e (6th December 2022), Tintin (16th December 2022), Violet3 (18th November 2022), Yoda (17th November 2022)

11. Link to Post #1906
    Thanks

This World Which Is Made of Our Love for Emptiness
    Praise to the emptiness that blanks out existence. Existence:
    This place made from our love for that emptiness!
    Yet somehow comes emptiness,
    this existence goes.
    Praise to that happening, over and over!
    For years I pulled my own existence out of emptiness.
    Then one swoop, one swing of the arm,
    that work is over.
    Free of who I was, free of presence, free of dangerous fear, hope,
    free of mountainous wanting.
    The here-and-now mountain is a tiny piece of a piece of straw
    blown off into emptiness.
    These words I'm saying so much begin to lose meaning:
    Existence, emptiness, mountain, straw:
    Words and what they try to say swept
    out the window, down the slant of the roof.
    Rumi

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), Franny (26th November 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022)

13. Link to Post #1907
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,540 times in 2,211 posts

Quote "Let loyalty and truth be paramount with you."

- Confucius

Quote "Nature has linked all parts of her Empire together by threads of magnetic sympathy, and there is a mutual correlation between a star and a man..."

- The Mahatma Letters p. 267

Quote "In this era, the downfall of the world civilisation will happen as well as the awakening of a new form of consciousness. This is brand new for your history."

- Barbara Marciniak

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pueblo For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), Carlitos (27th November 2022), edina (26th November 2022), Eva2 (27th November 2022), Franny (3rd December 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022)

15. Link to Post #1908
    United States Avalon Member edina's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,172 times in 2,420 posts

Walk in beauty ~ Navajo saying

Name:  20221125, It is through Beauty That One Proceeds to Freedom, Friedrich Schiller.png
Views: 237
Size:  27.9 KB
    I happily co-create a balanced world culture harmonized with Infinite Intelligence. ~ edina (Renaissance Humanity)

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th November 2022), Carlitos (27th November 2022), Eva2 (27th November 2022), Franny (3rd December 2022), Johnnycomelately (18th December 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (4th December 2022)

17. Link to Post #1909
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,932 times in 428 posts

Haruki Murakami - “If you can't understand it without an explanation, you can't understand it with an explanation.”
    Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd December 2022), Franny (3rd December 2022), Johnnycomelately (18th December 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (4th December 2022)

19. Link to Post #1910
    Ireland Avalon Member JackMcThorn's Avatar
    Language
    I talk american
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,466 times in 572 posts

Quote Posted by Isserley (here)
    Haruki Murakami - “If you can't understand it without an explanation, you can't understand it with an explanation.”
    This is probably one of the most harshest quotes I have ever seen. Why I am surprised is that the author could be considered gifted in his works and this quote does not come across as wise, and I do not see the truth in it. Every teacher is an explainer [and informal 'teacher' qualifies]. Not to say every teacher is a good explainer, but indeed, they do spend most of their time aiding in others' comprehension. Sure, the level of comprehension may be debatable; but in formal realms, it is measured.

I implore that not every concept requires an explanation but I do not discount your intellect if you need further details by way of an explanation.

After all, in order to 'Question Everything'; one must have the courage to first ask a question. A statement such as the above does not solicit questions; and especially hard ones.

If you were to present this quote to a classroom, or to an apprentice, or to a young offspring; do you think they will come to you with questions? I think it will be very low, one would have the courage to raise a question to such a person presenting such a position. Such a person might seem aloof and unapproachable.

This is only my opinion and does not reflect on the op. I also consider the source, and the culture of its origin.
    Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it. ~ Conor C. O'Brien [1917-2oo8]

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JackMcThorn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (18th December 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), Le Chat (4th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (4th December 2022)

21. Link to Post #1911
    Thanks

Quote Posted by JackMcThorn (here)
    This is probably one of the most harshest quotes I have ever seen. Why I am surprised is that the author could be considered gifted in his works and this quote does not come across as wise, and I do not see the truth in it. Every teacher is an explainer [and informal 'teacher' qualifies]. Not to say every teacher is a good explainer, but indeed, they do spend most of their time aiding in others' comprehension. Sure, the level of comprehension may be debatable; but in formal realms, it is measured.

I implore that not every concept requires an explanation but I do not discount your intellect if you need further details by way of an explanation.

After all, in order to 'Question Everything'; one must have the courage to first ask a question. A statement such as the above does not solicit questions; and especially hard ones.

If you were to present this quote to a classroom, or to an apprentice, or to a young offspring; do you think they will come to you with questions? I think it will be very low, one would have the courage to raise a question to such a person presenting such a position. Such a person might seem aloof and unapproachable.

This is only my opinion and does not reflect on the op. I also consider the source, and the culture of its origin.
    The title quote comes from Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 novel. And yes - it could be a serious piece of wisdom or a nonsense
    I put it out there as it sound interesting - it made me think about it.

On the one hand I think it means “If you don’t get it by now you never will.”
    And on the other hand it could also be interpreted as - “Explaining it will only make it more complicated/raise more questions.”

Anyhow regarding his novel - Its hard to summarize nearly 1000 pages of complex, strange, fantastic fiction. 1Q84 has been called an homage to Orwell’s 1984, and there are several references to the work -

"Gradually, both Aomame and Tengo realize that their world has altered, although they are not sure how many other people have noticed. Aomame believes she has left her present in 1984 and entered the world of 1Q84. She posits, “At some point in time, the world I knew either vanished or withdrew, and another world came to take its place. Like the switching of a track.” Later on, Tengo adds, “The boundary between the real world and the imaginary one has grown obscure.” It seems a fictional world that he helped create has become their reality. "...

There is so much going on within these pages on so many levels. Despite its length, the novel is quite accessible but the quote, yeah, still trying to figure it out.
    Is every mind connected to form a peer to peer network that creates the illusion of a shared reality, making the appearance of material reality a simulation created through shared beliefs?

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th December 2022), JackMcThorn (4th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (18th December 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (4th December 2022)

23. Link to Post #1912
    Thanks

Quote Posted by JackMcThorn (here)

The title quote comes from Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 novel. And yes - it could be a serious piece of wisdom or a nonsense
    I put it out there as it sound interesting - it made me think about it.

On the one hand I think it means “If you don’t get it by now you never will.”
    And on the other hand it could also be interpreted as - “Explaining it will only make it more complicated/raise more questions.”

Anyhow regarding his novel - Its hard to summarize nearly 1000 pages of complex, strange, fantastic fiction. 1Q84 has been called an homage to Orwell’s 1984, and there are several references to the work -

"Gradually, both Aomame and Tengo realize that their world has altered, although they are not sure how many other people have noticed. Aomame believes she has left her present in 1984 and entered the world of 1Q84. She posits, “At some point in time, the world I knew either vanished or withdrew, and another world came to take its place. Like the switching of a track.” Later on, Tengo adds, “The boundary between the real world and the imaginary one has grown obscure.” It seems a fictional world that he helped create has become their reality. "...

There is so much going on within these pages on so many levels. Despite its length, the novel is quite accessible but the quote, yeah, still trying to figure it out.
    In addition to above - maybe the emphasis is on showing us the difference between the experiential understanding of things/reality and the theoretical one, which requires a lot of explaining, and in fact we can never be completely sure and fully understand until we experience it.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Isserley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th December 2022), Franny (6th December 2022), JackMcThorn (4th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (18th December 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), Sue (Ayt) (4th December 2022)

25. Link to Post #1913
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,197 times in 264 posts

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
    Denis Diderot 1713 - 1784

Although "Man will never be free until the last pedophile is strangled with the entrails of the last satan worshiper" seems more in the context.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s7e6e For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (18th December 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022)

27. Link to Post #1914
    Thanks

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2022), edina (6th December 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), Wind (6th December 2022)

29. Link to Post #1915
    England Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,690 times in 1,424 posts

Happiness is an act of defiance - Nick Cave

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Miller For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2022), edina (6th December 2022), Ewan (16th December 2022), Franny (6th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (18th December 2022), justntime2learn (6th December 2022), Kryztian (6th December 2022)

31. Link to Post #1916
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,881 times in 2,121 posts

A Soviet anecdote:

Will there be a war on Earth?

Not! There will be no war on earth, but there will be such a struggle for peace that no stone will be left unturned.
    “To develop a complete mind: Study the art of science; study the science of art. Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else” – Leonardo Da Vinci

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th December 2022), Ewan (16th December 2022), Franny (20th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (18th December 2022), Kryztian (9th December 2022), Miller (8th December 2022)

33. Link to Post #1917
    Thanks

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2022), Miller (11th December 2022)

35. Link to Post #1918
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,283 times in 4,081 posts

"The best quote is always your own" - Someone else

But this one is a beauty:

Quote CSK @HotPockets315 Replying to @richardursomd
    I’ll always choose ugly truths over beautiful lies.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th December 2022), Ewan (16th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (18th December 2022), Miller (18th December 2022)

37. Link to Post #1919
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

By some very thoughtful person...............living in the North.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (16th December 2022), Ewan (16th December 2022), Johnnycomelately (16th December 2022)

39. Link to Post #1920
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,738 times in 997 posts

I like my snow to be cold enough to roll on. 20C below freezing works, for any place walked or driven on (pic was from warmer, earlier this week, scud/pickup on the wheels was from rolling off the last of mostly bare tracks).

Quote Posted by rgray222 (here)

By some very thoughtful person...............living in the North.
    Attachment 50081

My window view 10 minutes ago, haven’t figured out a good snow-cap/lid for this yet.

But yeah, snow looks nice. 👻🤣🤪😎 ~8)

Attachment 50080

Edit: pics are reverse-ordered, don’t want to cut and paste for possibly losing the pics to “Attachment:...”.
    Last edited by Johnnycomelately; 16th December 2022 at 06:13.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

Franny (20th December 2022), pueblo (16th December 2022), rgray222 (16th December 2022)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 115 FirstFirst 1 46 86 96 106 115 LastLast