+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What fiction books are you reading currently?

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,097 times in 20,639 posts

Default Re: What fiction books are you reading currently?

T.C. Boyle's new novel "Blue Skies", as ever, is brilliant, darkly humorous, very original and imaginative.
    One of my favorite authors.
    See:https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Skies-T-.../dp/1324093021

"Boyle’s satire has lost none of its edge over the course of a nearly half-century literary career . . . [Blue Skies is] an expert blend of suspense, terror and, occasionally, very black humor . . . this fiercely honest writer shows us what he sees and invites his readers to draw their own conclusions." ―Wendy Smith, Washington Post

From best-selling novelist T. C. Boyle, a satirical yet ultimately moving send-up of contemporary American life in the glare of climate change.

“Boyle has long been one of the most exciting and intelligent storytellers in the United States.” ―Ron Charles, Washington Post

Denied a dog, a baby, and even a faithful fiancé, Cat suddenly craves a snake: a glistening, writhing creature that can be worn like “jewelry, living jewelry” to match her black jeans. But when the budding social media star promptly loses the young “Burmie” she buys from a local pet store, she inadvertently sets in motion a chain of increasingly dire and outrageous events that comes to threaten her very survival.

“Brilliantly imaginative . . . in a terrifying way” (Annie Proulx), Blue Skies follows in the tradition of T. C. Boyle’s finest novels, combining high-octane plotting with mordant wit and shrewd social commentary. Here Boyle, one of the most inventive voices in contemporary fiction, transports us to water-logged and heat-ravaged coastal America, where Cat and her hapless, nature-loving family―including her eco-warrior parents, Ottilie and Frank; her brother, Cooper, an entomologist; and her frat-boy-turned-husband, Todd―are struggling to adapt to the “new normal,” in which once-in-a-lifetime natural disasters happen once a week and drinking seems to be the only way to cope.

But there’s more than meets the eye to this compulsive family drama. Lurking beneath the banal façade of twenty-first-century Californians and Floridians attempting to preserve normalcy in the face of violent weather perturbations is a caricature of materialist American society that doubles as a prophetic warning about our planet’s future. From pet bees and cricket-dependent diets to massive species die-off and pummeling hurricanes, Blue Skies deftly explores the often volatile relationships between humans and their habitats, in which “the only truism seems to be that things always get worse.”

An eco-thriller with teeth, Boyle’s Blue Skies is at once a tragicomic satire and a prescient novel that captures the absurdity and “inexpressible sadness at the heart of everything.”

More about this novel and a weird, synchronistic event I had centerered around it here: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1558779
    Last edited by onawah; 22nd May 2023 at 21:43.
    Each breath a gift...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Icare (30th May 2023), Pam (21st August 2023), william r sanford72 (31st May 2023)

3. Link to Post #22
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

I'm currently reading The Thomas Kydd series, by Julian Stockwin.

It's historical, being about the British navy in the 1800s. It's informative and interesting.

The series is about Thomas Kydd, who is 'conscripted' into the navy and through a bunch of adventures, and several books, manages to climb the ranks to become Captain of a ship-o'-the-line in HerMajesty'sService.

Not overly embellished and with a steady tempo, The Kydd series delivers solid entertainment, while managing to impart a bit of historical and nautical lore. Nelson's big win over the French at The Nile Delta is riveting, as is the siege of Acre by Napolean Buonaparte, while the recounting of the formation of the American Navy is surprising and unexpected.

nice, relaxing reading,
    recommended
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Pam (21st August 2023)

5. Link to Post #23
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,307 times in 674 posts

I'm getting through the fifth book, A Feast For Crows, on George RR Martin's Game Of Thrones series. I'm rather late to the game, but the purist me refused to watch the TV series, knowing it wouldn't be a patch on the books.
    Splendid colourful writing of the characters and a deep, realistic flavour of the medieval world in all its gore and glory.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mari For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (23rd May 2023), palehorse (30th May 2023), Pam (21st August 2023)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

I am reading "Burmese days", the very first novel by George Orwell from 1934. (Not really a fiction, it is about imperial bigotry!).

next books in line for me are:

Fiction

- Future shock (finally got my hand on the the real thing)
    - Idoru (William Gibson)
    - Pattern recognition (a more recent novel also published by William Gibson)

Non-Fiction

- The fire from within (by Carlos Castaneda - what is natural and logical?)

I like to alternate in between fiction and non-fiction, every 3 or 4 fiction books, I like to read something non-fiction to balance out a bit.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Matthew (6th June 2023), Pam (21st August 2023)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Denise/Dizi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,481 times in 1,693 posts

Solar Warden books 1, 2 and 3. I read all 3 this weekend on a reading binge... Not bad books actually.... I believe Ian Douglas authored them...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

Pam (21st August 2023), Sue (Ayt) (30th May 2023), Yoda (30th May 2023)

11. Link to Post #26
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I'm reading the remarkable and very current series of books by Raynor Winn, true accounts of her and her husband Moth's ordeal by fire.
    True accounts, yes, but they are written to read a lot like fiction.
    Some of the most moving and inspiring books I have ever read... Nature lovers love them, and those who believe in the healing powers of Nature and Hope.
    Spoil alerts following, but knowing their story ahead of time only prompted me to read the books, and they've been helping me with my own physical and financial trials and tribulations, seeing how bravely they have endured so many of their own, and triumphed.

"Publication Order of Non-Fiction Books
    The Salt Path (2018) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
    The Wild Silence (2020) Hardcover Paperback Kindle
    Landlines (2022) Hardcover Paperback Kindle

Raynor Winn was born in 1962. She is a British writer and long distance walker. “The Salt Path” was a Sunday Times bestseller in the year 2018.

Raynor and her husband, Moth, who was diagnosed with corticobasal degeneration, became homeless after a business deal with their friend went south and they decided to walk the 630 mile (1,010 km) South West Coast Path.

NPR’s Book Concierge listed “The Salt Path” as one of its Best Books of 2019. It was shortlisted for the 2018 Costa Book Awards, and the Wainwright Prize in the biography category. The judges described the book as being an absolutely brilliant tale that just needs to be told about the human capacity to endure and continue putting one foot in front of the other. In May of 2019 it was the number one bestselling book in UK independent bookstores. 400,000 copies of the book have been sold worldwide.

Raynor also writes about wild camping, nature, and homelessness. “The Wild Silence” was published by Michael Joseph (which is a subsidiary of Penguin Books) in September of 2020. The book was shortlisted for the Wainwright Prize for Nature Writing in 2021.

“The Salt Path” is a non-fiction book that was released in 2018. The true story about a couple that lost everything and embarked on this transformative journey walking along the South West Coast Path in England.

Only days after Raynor learned that Moth, her husband of thirty-two years, is terminally ill, their farm and house get taken away, along with their livelihood. Without anything left and little time, they make the impulsive and brave choice to walk the 630 miles of the sea swept South West Coast Path, from Somerset and on to Dorset, through Cornwall and Devon.

Carrying just the essentials for their survival on their backs, they live wild in the weathered and ancient landscape of sea, cliffs, and sky. But through each and every step, every test, and every encounter along the way, their walk becomes this remarkable and life affirming journey.

Unflinchingly honest and powerfully honest, “The Salt Path” is ultimately a depiction of home: how it can be lost, rediscovered, and rebuilt in the most unexpected of ways. Raynor delivers an astonishing narrative about two people dragging themselves out of the depths of despair along some of the most dramatic landscapes in the country, trying to find a solution to their problems and finding themselves, ultimately.

This book is a poignant and polished account and is an inspiring story of true love. Winn’s prose here is powerful, she excels at description, and her apt metaphors are all rooted in nature. This is an inspiring read, and reminds us that there really is salvation in nature, movement, and the out-of-doors.

“The Wild Silence” is a non-fiction book that was released in 2020. The incredible follow up to “The Salt Path”, the international bestseller, and is a story about finding your way back home.

Nature holds some of the answers for Raynor and Moth. After they walked 630 homeless miles along The Salt Path, living only on the wild and windswept English coastline; the sky, the cliffs, and the chalky earth now feel like their home. Moth has a terminal diagnosis, however together on the wild coastal path, with their feet planted firmly outdoors, they find that anything is possible.

Now, a life beyond The Salt Path waits for them and they return to four walls, however the sense of home is illusive and returning to normality proves to be difficult, until this one incredible gesture by somebody that reads their story changes it all. One chance to breathe life back into a beautiful farmhouse nestled deep within the Cornish hills; rewilding the land and returning nature to its hedgerows becomes their one saving grace and their new path to follow.

“The Wild Silence” is the tale of hope triumphing over despair, of lifelong love prevailing over everything. It’s a luminous account of the human spirit’s connection to nature, and just how vital it is for everybody.

Readers found this to be heartening and heartfelt. It’s a full throated paean to the fundamental importance of nature in all of its fury, glory, and impermanence. Fans of the novel delighted in Raynor’s account of falling in love with Moth. Her writing once again beautifully evokes the natural world, whether she’s describing a doe in an orchard or her innermost conflicted feelings. This is the perfect ‘what happened next’ memoir which gives closure to readers of Winn’s first book.

“Landlines” is a non-fiction book that was released in 2022. Some people live to walk, but Moth and Raynor walk to live. Raynor knows that Moth’s health is getting worse by the day. She knows of just one cure. It worked before, but will he? Can he? Set off on another healing walk?

The Cape Wrath Trail is more than two hundred miles of gruelling terrain through Scotland’s remotest lochs and mountains. However the lure of the wilderness and beguiling beauty of the awaiting glens pull them northwards. Being one with nature saved them while they were in their darkest hour and their hope is that it can work its magic once more.

While setting out on their incredible thousand mile journey back to the more familiar shores of the Southwest Coast Path, Moth and Raynor map the landscape of an island nation that faces an uncertain path ahead. In “Landlines”, Raynor records with luminous prose the friends and strangers, the wildlife and wilderness that they encounter while on the way. It is a journey that starts in fear yet can only end with hope.

Readers love the way Raynor is able to find hope in even the most daunting of challenges, which is sure to fill readers with a lot of inspiration as well as her atmospheric use of language. There’s an optimism and kindness which overcomes the despair of illness and inept human stewardship of the earth. This book has the most perfect and wonderful ending as well. There is a flowing and rich narrative with a lived reality of resilience alongside her hopes for the future. "

update:
    (Sadly, I'm just realizing as I'm finishing up reading "Landlines" that the Winns have fallen for the global warming hoax and the COVID Vaxx hoax, so although the environmental harm that Raynor chronicles along their journey is real, it's not due to global warming.
    And they've taken the Vaxx and the booster, so I don't imagine they will be undertaking anymore epic outdoor adventures, or if they do, whether they survive will be doubtful unless they learn the truth and begin taking adequate detoxification measures. )
    Last edited by onawah; 31st July 2023 at 04:33.
    Each breath a gift...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Mark (Star Mariner) (10th June 2023), Matthew (17th July 2023), Pam (21st August 2023)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member william r sanford72's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,586 times in 2,838 posts

Rereading..

Cormac McCarthys - Blood Meridian

and just started..

Stonefish: By Scott R Jones

A missing tech mogul... a jaded reporter... a damaged AI returned from a horrifying reality... and something lurking in the woods.

When journalist Den Secord is tasked with locating enigmatic tech guru Gregor Makarios, he soon finds his understanding of reality under threat. At the edge of the world, surrounded by primeval forests, in the paradisical environs of Gregor's hi-tech hermitage, Den learns of the true nature of our Universe.

This is the way the world ends.

Heart of Darkness meets The Magus meets bleeding-edge psychedelic gnosticism in Stonefish, the debut novel from Scott R. Jones.

TRUTH and BALANCE

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to william r sanford72 For This Post:

onawah (2nd June 2023), Pam (21st August 2023)

15. Link to Post #28
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,191 times in 4,071 posts

Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    - Idoru (William Gibson)
    Oh I loved both of those. Idoru the much anticipated finale of the sprawl series I was blown away by it, and wonder if we'll see something similar in our lifetimes? Although I wanted more sprawl stories I ended up loving Pattern recognition which was a new (or earlier?) continuity. Some of the tropes in the book stuck with me even to the point of adopting the alias parkerboy now and then. Wondered how you got on with them especially Idoru?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

palehorse (7th June 2023), Pam (21st August 2023)

17. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,413 times in 1,572 posts

Quote Posted by Matthew (here)
    Quote Posted by palehorse (here)
    - Idoru (William Gibson)
    Oh I loved both of those. Idoru the much anticipated finale of the sprawl series I was blown away by it, and wonder if we'll see something similar in our lifetimes? Although I wanted more sprawl stories I ended up loving Pattern recognition which was a new (or earlier?) continuity. Some of the tropes in the book stuck with me even to the point of adopting the alias parkerboy now and then. Wondered how you got on with them especially Idoru?

Hi Matthew, I will start soon both books, I like anything Gibson, he is such a kind.
    Cool you like Idoru, I will read it first, Gibson has mapped super well the topography of the virtual world, he is so deep into culture of all kinds, that in my opinion he is just getting warm for what he will be releasing soon, now at age of 75 and still very sharp and not only that, he navigated from the old generation SF to what we are getting into, which is amazing for a one guy works, it is quite a lot to sink and understand and transcend, old habits, and all the old junky that doesn't fit in our so called reality... by the way what is reality huh? haha
    I am sure I will enjoy both, thanks for your reply.
    --
    A chaos to the sense, a Kosmos to the reason.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palehorse For This Post:

Matthew (7th June 2023), Pam (21st August 2023)

19. Link to Post #30
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,603 times in 673 posts

The Marching Morons by Cyril M. Kornbluth. It's on Project Gutenberg. It's a short, easy read, and not bad.
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gord For This Post:

Pam (21st August 2023)

21. Link to Post #31
    Indonesia Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks

Ah! Just started reading Deliverance from James Dickey, 4 city guys going on a canoe trip in the Georgia wilderness and then get hunted by a bunch of red necks, it was turned into a movie way back which was very good, think this one will be a page turner....

Before that I worked my way through the Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough and I can really, really recommend it, 7 huge tomes, each around 1200 pages, roughly from the time of Sulla and Marius till the end of Mark Anthony's life. Incredibly detailed, incredibly violent, incredibly well researched. Every now and then I would read something else between these books, but after the third one I just had to keep reading, an amazing series, haven't been that captivated since I read the Lonesome Dove series by Larry McMurtry.... Doesn't just deal with Rome but also the many, many military campaigns in Africa, Asia and Europe and after reading it.... specially looking at America and it's (foreign) politics.... not much has changed.... Also goes pretty deep into Rome's pretty weird religious life (making contracts with Gods??), the female only cult of Bona Dea, how they, in that period dealt with sexuality, the insane corruption, VERY deep into the political system....

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/480570

Seeing quite a bit of science fiction books in this thread. I'm a life long science fiction reader, Simak, Philip K. Dick, Keith Laumer, and so many more, some of my favorite science fiction books:

The Hyperion books by Dan Simmons
    A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.
    The Coyote Trilogy by Allen M. Steele
    Mission of Gravity by Hal Clement
    To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip Jose Farmer
    The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin

Wanna start reading the other books in the To Your Scattered Bodies Go series by Philip Jose Farmer, the first book is insane, from goodreads:

To Your Scattered Bodies Go is the Hugo Award-winning beginning to the story of Riverworld, Philip José Farmer's unequaled tale about life after death. When famous adventurer Sir Richard Francis Burton dies, the last thing he expects to do is awaken naked on a foreign planet along the shores of a seemingly endless river. But that's where Burton and billions of other humans (plus a few nonhumans) find themselves as the epic Riverworld saga begins. It seems that all of Earthly humanity has been resurrected on the planet, each with an indestructible container that provides three meals a day, cigarettes, alcoholic beverages, a lighter, and the odd tube of lipstick. But why? And by whom?
    That's what Burton and a handful of fellow adventurers are determined to discover as they construct a boat and set out in search of the river's source, thought to be millions of miles away. Although there are many hardships during the journey--including an encounter with the infamous Hermann Goring--Burton's resolve to complete his quest is strengthened by a visit from the Mysterious Stranger, a being who claims to be a renegade within the very group that created the Riverworld. The stranger tells Burton that he must make it to the river's headwaters, along with a dozen others the Stranger has selected, to help stop an evil experiment at the end of which humanity will simply be allowed to die.

Honestly, it's insane, Hermann Goring who keeps committing suicide, keeps coming back, each time more deformed and crazy, Sam the cigar chomping Neanderthal, unforgettable characters... They turned it into a tv series years ago and it was awful, terrible, sanitized and didn't last beyond one season I think...

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madrotter For This Post:

Mari (6th July 2023), Pam (21st August 2023)

23. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks

"The Humans" by Matt Haig.
    I'm about 3/4 of the way into it.
    It's not a very dense novel, easy to read but interesting and with an original theme which should appeal to more than just scifi fans, as the human interest angle is central.
    It's outlook is positive in the final analysis in that it helps to explain why any soul might volunteer to be incarnated into 3D Earth reality. yet it's not all that unrealistic.
    I give it a
    "May 15, 2013 *Starred Review* The alien comes to Earth from Vonnadoria, an almost incomprehensibly advanced world; he comes with a sinister purpose, both to destroy and to collect information, hoping to rob human beings of their future. Assuming the person of Professor Andrew Martin, a celebrated mathematician who has made a dangerous discovery, he sets coldly and calculatedly to work. But there is a problem: though disgusted at first by humans, whom he regards as motivated only by violence and greed, he gradually comes to understand that humans are more complex than that, and, most dangerous to his mission, he discovers music, poetry, and . . . love. Becoming increasingly sympathetic to humans, he will ultimately do the unthinkable. The ever-imaginative Haig The Dead Fathers Club (2007), The Radleys (2010) has created an extraordinary alien sensibility and, though writing with a serious purpose (the future is at stake), has great good fun with the being's various eyebrow-raising blunders as he struggles to emulate human behavior. Haig strikes exactly the right tone of bemusement, discovery, and wonder in creating what is ultimately a sweet-spirited celebration of humanity and the trials and triumphs of being human. The result is a thought-provoking, compulsively readable delight.--Cart, Michael Copyright 2010 Booklist"
    Each breath a gift...

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Pam (21st August 2023), Yoda (14th August 2023)

25. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks

More about "The Humans" by Matt Haig (see post above).
    I didn't realize what a wonderful novel this is until I finished reading it.
    It just got better and better.
    It may seem like a scifi novel at first because it's about a non-physical being from a very advanced plane of existence who enters into a human body and impersonates the person whose body he has taken over.
    But it's about so much more than that.
    It makes me think about Gigi Young's latest offering here: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...=1#post1573109
    ...When she refers to the sacrifice that angelic beings make to help further the human race.
    Because in an odd sort of way, that is what the being in the story is doing, though such was not his original intention.
    Best of all, perhaps (though this is a bit of a spoiler), there's a happy ending--not a predictably boring happy ending, but a very meaningful one.
    The kind that makes you glad that you are a novel-reader.
    And such a happy "coincidence" that I finished the novel on the same night that Gigi posted that talk.
    Last edited by onawah; 21st August 2023 at 07:17.
    Each breath a gift...

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Dorjezigzag (16th September 2023), Mari (21st August 2023), Pam (21st August 2023)

27. Link to Post #34
    France Avalon Member Lunesoleil's Avatar
    Language
    uses a translator
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,302 times in 1,185 posts

Arrow Re: What fiction books are you reading currently?

an astrology book « History of the children of the year 2000 », the author Irene Andrieu
    Periodically in history, we see the emergence of great epochs in which the genius of the human being is revealed. Everything happens as if men were obeying some signal that unites them in a dazzling anthology to change the face of things. These rare eras upset the history of civilizations. These great phases of light and knowledge which concern the whole world do not arise at random. They follow cyclic laws. Large planetary concentrations signal the birth of children with exceptional potentials. Between 1983 and 1997, such a concentration appears, the children born during this period have little to do with the generations of their elders. It is possible to link them to similar great historical epochs as if the Earth had its own astrological evolution, which we can call a collective karma. In this unprecedented astrological study, sweeping the history of 4500 BC to the 20th century, Irène Andrieu highlights an "astro-logic", which leads her to draw both the portrait of these children of the year 2000 whose destiny will change the history of the world, and the great prospects of the next thirty years.

Editions of the 1996 book
    An exciting book

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunesoleil For This Post:

Mari (21st August 2023), onawah (21st August 2023), Pam (21st August 2023)

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

I am usually not a fiction reader but I find these selections from my fellow Avalonians full of possibility. I love to read and feel like a break from non fiction might be good for my mental health. Thanks for some wonderful possibilities. I think I might give "The Humans" a read.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Lunesoleil (21st August 2023), Mari (21st August 2023), onawah (21st August 2023)

31. Link to Post #36
    Great Britain Avalon Member Mari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,307 times in 674 posts

While I'm waiting for George RR Martin to get a move on and finish his latest (two?) in the Game Of Thrones series, I've started on the truly epic (many volumes) The Malazan Book Of The Fallen series, by Steven Erikson.
    Each book a truly epic read (the latest, Deadhouse Gates a whopping 932 pages) vast in scope, excellently written with well rounded characters, he joins the ranks of Tolkein, Donaldson et al, in a wonderfully realised, deliciously dark medieval fantasy battle between the gods, mortals and numerous magical beings. It's a tough, mesmerizing world, but one in which you are glad you're not living in.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Mari For This Post:

Pam (21st August 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2