+ Reply to Thread
Page 428 of 431 FirstFirst 1 328 378 418 428 431 LastLast
Results 8,541 to 8,560 of 8615

Thread: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

1. Link to Post #8541
    Canada Avalon Member Johnnycomelately's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,577 times in 981 posts

Default Re: Enlightenment: The Ego, what is it? How to transcend it.

A smart kid would put rocks in your bed, and ask right back.

Ego is not about not changing your environment, it’s about selfishness. A selfless kid would be the first to clean up that mess/hazard. Would you really take them to task, would you really try to get them to accept this as how good people react to dumbass obstruction and gaslighting? Greta Thunberg on you.

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Dear Applesprig
    Sorry for delay in responding.
    I dont post very often.
    One definition of Ego is Edge God Out
    Its a separation device when in reality we are not separate from The Divine.
    All attempts to transcend are futile.
    Mind stuff
    Be still and know that I AM GOD Jesus said.
    Thats it --- dont respond to thoughts -- dont Annalise.
    Just be quiet, without trying.
    Thoughts come and go
    Let go let God
    By God I mean the divine energy that flows through all, is all.

One definition of ego is
    IDENTIFICATION WITH THE STORY OF ME.
    You are not the story.
    Love Chris
    A good way to teach kids what ego means or how it works, at first, and in a very basic small scale is this

Place a few rocks on the floor, like in the entrance of the home, let them be there for a few days and people must skip over them going in and out without touching them
    Ask the kid (or person) what do they think of these rocks, are they useful? Or are they wasting space and causing issues with people coming into/out of the house?
    Ask them to do something about the rocks. Most people will move them away or throw them out. But other people will leave them there and just accept that they exist there and the world works in a certain way, the rocks live there on the entrance of the house and is not anyone's place to change their environment

That's how ego is teached, if you moved the rocks, you consider yourself more important than the environment around you, and you changed it to suit your own needs, or even carelessly because you just became lazy about having to step carefully over those rocks

In Japan temples, there's a first step entering the building, made out of wood, you are always supposed to not step on it. It's 'ridiculous' in most people's views, but it's there specifically so that you don't step on it

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnnycomelately For This Post:

gini (10th March 2023), greybeard (22nd January 2023)

3. Link to Post #8542
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by Johnnycomelately (here)

Ego is not about not changing your environment, it’s about selfishness. A selfless kid would be the first to clean up that mess/hazard. Would you really take them to task, would you really try to get them to accept this as how good people react to dumbass obstruction and gaslighting? Greta Thunberg on you.

Dear Applesprig
    Sorry for delay in responding.
    I dont post very often.
    One definition of Ego is Edge God Out
    Its a separation device when in reality we are not separate from The Divine.
    All attempts to transcend are futile.
    Mind stuff
    Be still and know that I AM GOD Jesus said.
    Thats it --- dont respond to thoughts -- dont Annalise.
    Just be quiet, without trying.
    Thoughts come and go
    Let go let God
    By God I mean the divine energy that flows through all, is all.

One definition of ego is
    IDENTIFICATION WITH THE STORY OF ME.
    You are not the story.
    Love Chris
    A good way to teach kids what ego means or how it works, at first, and in a very basic small scale is this

Place a few rocks on the floor, like in the entrance of the home, let them be there for a few days and people must skip over them going in and out without touching them
    Ask the kid (or person) what do they think of these rocks, are they useful? Or are they wasting space and causing issues with people coming into/out of the house?
    Ask them to do something about the rocks. Most people will move them away or throw them out. But other people will leave them there and just accept that they exist there and the world works in a certain way, the rocks live there on the entrance of the house and is not anyone's place to change their environment

That's how ego is teached, if you moved the rocks, you consider yourself more important than the environment around you, and you changed it to suit your own needs, or even carelessly because you just became lazy about having to step carefully over those rocks

In Japan temples, there's a first step entering the building, made out of wood, you are always supposed to not step on it. It's 'ridiculous' in most people's views, but it's there specifically so that you don't step on it
    You missed entirely the reasoning of that. It is because you are looking at everything from a very functional, or otherwise, mundane view that you entirely did not get what the purpose of the rocks were

But anyways, who said it was a 'mess' or set up in a way that it could be a hazard?

This never fails, did you pay attention or just assumed?

Quote A selfless kid would be the first to clean up that mess/hazard
    This says it all, you don't get it
    Tired

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

greybeard (22nd January 2023)

5. Link to Post #8543
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Something i learned long ago, is that someone may be 80 years old and think they have lived a full life or experiences, and still know nothing about anything, and that a 10 year old kid somewhere in the mountains may have a greater understanding of life and reality than the 80 year old

It's about perception, discernment or the lack of it, some people just never learn how to truly discern what's behind all the things they experience

Soo anyways, this is dull, there's some kind of lack of awareness very set in a lot of people, and they get bothered not by realizing they didn't know or that they can't see, they instead get bothered by someone showing or exposing that fact to them.

Quote Would you really take them to task, would you really try to get them to accept this as how good people react to dumbass obstruction and gaslighting?
    This is so dense, not even atoms could pass through it. You just didn't ge it at all

Something bothers you? Why do you sound like you are angry or something

I suspect that if i tell you about walking zen meditation, in which you may use a broom to swipe sand in a small patio or stairs, you may think that it's just someone doing meaningless chores or getting fooled to think they are doing meditation while working for free, or some other kind of explanation like that lol

Now i'm bored, honestly. But i did find it amusing how you're here discussing spiritual matters from a very mundane, culture based perspective of it, and not as something global that applies to all human beings equally
    Last edited by Mashika; 20th January 2023 at 15:39.
    Tired

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

greybeard (22nd January 2023), Orph (20th January 2023)

7. Link to Post #8544
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Johnnycomelately (here)

I actually have a couple questions for you

1. Suppose you tried the 'Walking Zen Meditation' approach, and you get all your patio full of sand, then carefully work your way with the broom and neatly pack all that sand back into a corner and leave the floor perfectly clean. Only to then wake up next morning at 6 am, grab all the sand and expand it again all across the floor, and then you start swiping it again into a small corner. And you do this every day. What do you make of that? Does that make sense to you?

2. Since you called me a liar before, i suppose is fair to ask you to expand on that. Simply put, you should provide something more than what a teenage girl would say "You're a liar!" and then run away without saying much more. So please be clear and the point about that. I'm just wondering why mention that, then not go all the way, is that a kind of provokation, frustration or something else? I think that if someone is going to say something like that, they must go all the way or not say anything at all. It can't be any other way

And as a bonus, Why do you feel angry? It is all over your last posts, but you may not realize it. Are you perhaps letting the current word situation get to you? Having fun is important, don't take things to seriously or the darkness will definitely eat your soul
    Last edited by Mashika; 20th January 2023 at 16:32.
    Tired

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

greybeard (22nd January 2023)

9. Link to Post #8545
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,304 times in 950 posts

Oh, I feel such a challenge is really meant as a way of getting each person to consider their own relationship with the Environment "at large" eh ?

Now, I have always considered the inside of a Temple as being Sacrosanct which is why we remove our shoes before proceeding further within, but outside of Japan I wouldn't expect such Cultural Traditions to be widely held by most people, even less so, the idea that what is practiced there is actually, as I sense it, a kind of Spiritual Communion eh ?

Name:  spiritual communion.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  29.7 KB
    Last edited by Clear Light; 21st January 2023 at 22:54. Reason: The presentation

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

greybeard (22nd January 2023), Mashika (22nd January 2023)

11. Link to Post #8546
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Clear Light (here)

Oh, I feel such a challenge is really meant as a way of getting each person to consider their own relationship with the Environment "at large" eh ?

Now, I have always considered the inside of a Temple as being Sacrosanct which is why we remove our shoes before proceeding further within, but outside of Japan I wouldn't expect such Cultural Traditions to be widely held by most people, even less so, the idea that what is practiced there is actually, as I sense it, a kind of Spiritual Communion eh ?

Attachment 50306
    The western mindset is always to transform all the things around you to become pleasant and easy to handle on your way. It's always 'the world turns around my needs' kind of subjective view

Here's a Zen garden

The thing is, why someone would get interested in a culture and then instead of integrating into it, try to change the culture to accommodate their own preset views of how things work?

Isn't it realized that by forcing the culture to change, or by "westernizing it" it loses it's purposes, meaning and message?

Do you buy a Tesla car and then immediately try to replace the engine to use gas instead of electricity just because you always had cars that use gasoline before? It doesn't make any sense

You adapt to the new stuff, or you try to buy the new stuff and then break it apart so it becomes the old stuff because you could not be bothered to learn or adapt?

Then just don't even try, right?

That's what i don't get most times. Let's pick up a religion or practice like Buddhism and Zen and strip it away because i can't be bothered to learn the real version,i want a 'light, Buddhism in 24 hours" fast track version of it and then i'll just assume i know all about that stuff i could not even bother to spend 2 years learning deep and seriously

Why try at all
    Last edited by Mashika; 22nd January 2023 at 04:56.
    Tired

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

gini (23rd January 2023), greybeard (22nd January 2023)

13. Link to Post #8547
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Think about this, i'm a student of Zen and Buddhism, i started learning this when i was around 4 years old, i still remember these things from way back

Catholic Sunday school is a thing, right? Who said that Buddhist kids don't also have a similar thing? There are Zen and Buddhist schools for kids as well

The idea, concept or mislead understanding that Buddhism is something only a grown adult mind can understand or learn is broken. There's no such thing. Just because it is foreign to some people doesn't mean it doesn't happen for other people.

I was like 7 years old when i understood why the rocks are there, and what's going on with that garden

Why assume? I have read a lot of people in the past saying "I discovered Buddhism or Zen when i was 24, 20, 30 or so", then i say "oh, i started learning it when i was 4 years old'

It would not be a problem if people would just be able to say "i don't know" and don't have that giant ego that says "you can't possibly know more than me, i'm older"

It's always that same thing, getting in the way
    Last edited by Mashika; 22nd January 2023 at 05:11.
    Tired

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

gini (23rd January 2023), greybeard (22nd January 2023)

15. Link to Post #8548
    Thanks

Quote Dogen : To study the buddha way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of realization remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.
    Ah, now, where is this 'self' found eh ? What is its Nature eh ?

Quote You should therefore cease from practice based on intellectual understanding, pursuing words and following after speech, and learn the backward step that turns your light inwardly to illuminate your self. Body and mind of themselves will drop away, and your original face will be manifest. If you want to attain suchness you should practice suchness without delay.”

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

gini (10th March 2023), greybeard (22nd January 2023)

17. Link to Post #8549
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Clear Light (here)
    Quote Dogen : To study the buddha way is to study the self. To study the self is to forget the self. To forget the self is to be actualized by myriad things. When actualized by myriad things, your body and mind as well as the bodies and minds of others drop away. No trace of realization remains, and this no-trace continues endlessly.
    Ah, now, where is this 'self' found eh ? What is its Nature eh ?

Quote You should therefore cease from practice based on intellectual understanding, pursuing words and following after speech, and learn the backward step that turns your light inwardly to illuminate your self. Body and mind of themselves will drop away, and your original face will be manifest. If you want to attain suchness you should practice suchness without delay.”
    As a 'rule of thumb' you should never quote the old masters. Dogen is not Zen or Buddhism, it is a mix of a lot of things that were taken from the previous masters, but then made 'optional' and based, as i said before, on personal views of how things should work

I spoke about this before on this same thread

The reason you must never quote and direct your life like that, is because then you are not moving anywere

If you always have to remember and quote someone else, then you will always be 'less' than the person you quoted, always smaller, diminished and living under the shadow.

But ask yourself, how did that master came to be "a master"? Surely not by quoting his own master, he did by moving forward and incorporating all he learned into his own mind and will. Then he developed new ideas and moved forward

If you have to quote or enforce the practice of quoting instead of coming up with your own version of things, based on your current life and experiences, then you live in the past. And the past is immutable, it's set already, it's gone

Where are you then?

"But there's no way i could be a master like that guy"

Where are you then?
    Tired

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

gini (23rd January 2023), Ioneo (9th March 2023)

19. Link to Post #8550
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

I don't talk much about this, because i am not allowed in principle, as a matter of 'don't harm yourself following that path or you will lose yourself along the way"

But let's do a bit of it for some time now, here's a good quote to consider

Quote Students in recent times often abandon the fundamental and pursue trivia; turning their backs on truth, they plunge into falsehood. They only consider learning in terms of career and reputation.

All they have as their definitive doctrine is to take riches and status and expand their schools. Therefore their mental art is not correct, and they are affected by things.

Don't learn a lot quotes, don't reference them as a way of saying "i know these things", it's harmful

Instead, pick up the book, read it, learn and understand, apply it to your own current life, and figure out how it works for you right now, in this time, and expand it to be able to speak about these things based on your own personal life, never go back 1000 years to explain why something is the way it is.

Because if you do, then you are a shadow of the master, never yourself, never your full potential, just someone who memorized "trivia" and can quote it on the stop. It's a spiritual trap
    Tired

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Ioneo (9th March 2023)

21. Link to Post #8551
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

And here's another one

Quote The reason this path has not been flourishing in recent years is nothing else but the fact that those who are acting as teachers of others do not have their eyes and brains straight and true.

They have no perception of their own, but just keep fame and fortune and gain and loss in their hearts. Deeply afraid that others will say they have no stories, they mistakenly memorize stories from old books, letting them ferment in the back of their minds so they won’t lack for something
    to say if seekers ask them questions.

They are like goats crapping: the minute their tails go up, innumerable dung balls plop to the ground!

Since students do not have clear perception, how are they supposed to distinguish clearly? Students believe deeply, with all their hearts; so unseeing individuals lead unseeing crowds into a pit of fire.
    Don't fall for the trap
    Tired

22. Link to Post #8552
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

This is the correct mindset to follow, free to experiment, free to be your own spiritually that talks, not the one from someone you never met and who died hundreds of years ago. Our time is not their time, we have things to do here, we are not their shadows or lesser than them

Once you overcome that, then you are 'free' and capable enough to see the world for what it is, and not for what someone who never saw the things we see thought 'the world was'

If you make this practice (of Zen and Buddhism) immutable, you have cut your own soul and prevented it from growing

Time exists for a reason, as well as progress do

I can't and won't quote anything anymore. You should not as well

Tired

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

greybeard (23rd January 2023), Orph (23rd January 2023)

24. Link to Post #8553
    Thanks

This is the correct mindset to follow, free to experiment, free to be your own spiritually that talks, not the one from someone you never met and who died hundreds of years ago. Our time is not their time, we have things to do here, we are not their shadows or lesser than them

Once you overcome that, then you are 'free' and capable enough to see the world for what it is, and not for what someone who never saw the things we see thought 'the world was'

If you make this practice (of Zen and Buddhism) immutable, you have cut your own soul and prevented it from growing

Time exists for a reason, as well as progress do

I can't and won't quote anything anymore. You should not as well

Oh, it's very simple, the reason why I use such Quotations is because in my 20 years of "practice" I now have some idea of what "works" (is effective) thus I feel in sharing my own "path" it may help or inspire others to do the same eh ? 😀

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

greybeard (24th January 2023)

26. Link to Post #8554
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,964 times in 7,673 posts

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

greybeard (24th January 2023), Ioneo (9th March 2023), O Donna (24th January 2023)

28. Link to Post #8555
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Knowing and Being - Swami Sarvapriyananda

Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Clear Light (31st January 2023), ClearWater (3rd February 2023), Hermoor (10th March 2023), Ioneo (9th March 2023), Wind (31st January 2023)

30. Link to Post #8556
    Thanks

Knowing and Being - Swami Sarvapriyananda

Ah, thanks for the post Chris, Swami Sarvapriyananda is such an excellent Advaita Vedanta teacher eh ?

But as it's 90 minutes long, I'll probably have to wait until the weekend to give it the full attention it deserves !

However, for any who are interested, the absolute "truth" according to Vedanta (from YT video Birthless Deathless) translates, he says, as :

Quote there is no cessation there is no origination,
    no birth no death,
    there is none who is in bondage,
    there is nobody who is a spiritual seeker or spiritual practitioner,
    there is nobody who is a seeker after liberation,
    there is nobody who is liberated
    Now, who comes to such a realisation, or does the process of seeking itself totally cease eh ?
    Last edited by Clear Light; 31st January 2023 at 21:58. Reason: The semantics of it

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

ClearWater (3rd February 2023), greybeard (1st February 2023), O Donna (3rd February 2023), Strat (31st January 2023), Wind (31st January 2023)

32. Link to Post #8557
    Thanks

The Great Stillness and Nisargadatta Maharaj — A Short Reading by Rupert Spira

"When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

33. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

ClearWater (3rd February 2023), greybeard (15th February 2023), Harmony (16th February 2023), Ioneo (9th March 2023), O Donna (3rd February 2023), Trisher (9th March 2023)

34. Link to Post #8558
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Amazing Mooji guided meditation: Find Your Self (NO COUGHING)

This is very good
    Chris

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Harmony (16th February 2023), Heart-2-Heart (16th February 2023), Hermoor (10th March 2023), Trisher (9th March 2023), Wind (16th February 2023)

36. Link to Post #8559
    Thanks

There Is Only One Universal Consciousness, Not Billions of Individuals

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

ClearWater (5th March 2023), greybeard (5th March 2023), Harmony (6th March 2023), O Donna (10th March 2023), Trisher (9th March 2023)

38. Link to Post #8560
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Best Mooji Interview | His life story in his own words w/ Iain McNay for Conscious TV

#

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

ClearWater (9th March 2023), gini (10th March 2023), Harmony (9th March 2023), Hermoor (10th March 2023), Ioneo (9th March 2023), O Donna (10th March 2023), Wind (10th March 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 428 of 431 FirstFirst 1 328 378 418 428 431 LastLast