+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Bases Lectures Graham Harvey: Dangers in Agriculture

1. Link to Post #1
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Lightbulb The Bases Lectures Graham Harvey: Dangers in Agriculture

Via Miles Johnston

"Something is Very Wrong with our Agriculture. Observer and writer Graham Harvey gives a vital heads up on the critical situation in the state of global agricultural practice since WW2. In essence our agriculture is rigged to kill us.

Recorded as part of the Humanity We Are Changing series of lectures of The Bases Project, at St John's Theatre on the Hill, Marlborough, Wiltshire, summer 2015" ...

Quote About - Graham Harvey

I’ve been fascinated with agriculture ever since I took a holiday job on a farm near my home in Reading. It was a mixed farm, the sort that grew both food crops for people and grass for grazing cattle. Looking back it was a great system.Graham Harvey Because the milk and meat came from animals grazing pasture they contained all sorts of nutrients to protect human health. And when the pasture was ploughed up for wheat or oats, the soil was so fertile it would grow sizeable crops without the need for pesticides.

After a spell at university (I read agriculture, as you might guess) I took a job as a reporter on Farmers Weekly. That’s when I started seeing the traditional mixed farm come under attack. In its place we now have animal factories and prairie-style wheat, guzzling oil and constantly buffeted by global commodity markets. Back in the 1980s I gave up full-time journalism to write scripts for The Archers. At least in this fictional world there were a few mixed farms left.

For the past 14 years I’ve been the show’s ‘agricultural story editor’, a sort of farm minister for Ambridge. But it’s time to get back to the real world. Modern high-input agriculture is wrecking our health, our rural communities and our planet. In my view there’s only one answer – Britain’s forgotten treasure, family mixed farms. Real farms producing real food. That’s if there are any left. Join me on my quest to find out.

Published on Oct 14, 2015

Last edited by giovonni; 21st October 2015 at 22:58.

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Jhonie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 times in 244 posts

Default Re: The Bases Lectures Graham Harvey: Dangers in Agriculture

It is wonderful that even in this large city I can still find organic food to eat.
    Blessed Be to You and Me.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jhonie For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (24th October 2015), giovonni (22nd October 2015)

4. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,014 times in 784 posts

Default Re: The Bases Lectures Graham Harvey: Dangers in Agriculture

Thanks for the video!. The lecture is quite interesting but the presenter is incredibly awkward to listen to. The message is very important though so I forced myself to watch it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

giovonni (23rd October 2015)

+ Reply to Thread