+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 8

Thread: Films/Movies with uplifting/inspiring themes, etc. etc.

1. Link to Post #141
    United States Avalon Member Raskolnikov's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,730 times in 755 posts

Default Re: Films/Movies with uplifting/inspiring themes, etc. etc.

Western Australia, 1931. Government policy includes taking half-white, half-Aboriginal children from their Aboriginal mothers and sending them a thousand miles away to what amounts to indentured servitude, "to save them from themselves." Molly, Daisy, and Grace (two sisters and a cousin who are fourteen, ten, and eight) arrive at their Gulag and promptly escape, under Molly's lead. For several days they walk north, following a fence that keeps rabbits from settlements, eluding a native tracker and the regional constabulary. Their pursuers take orders from the government's "Chief Protector of Aborigines", A.O. Neville, blinded by Anglo-Christian certainty, evolutionary world view, and conventional wisdom. Can the girls survive?

Looks like it's available at the moment on YT here:

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Raskolnikov For This Post:

Alekahn2 (29th September 2023), Bill Ryan (27th September 2023), Ewan (28th September 2023), Harmony (28th September 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th September 2023), Miller (27th September 2023), Pam (27th September 2023), Vicus (28th September 2023), Yoda (28th September 2023)

3. Link to Post #142
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,393 times in 3,308 posts

Thanks Raskolonikov, I decided to change an evening of reading to en evening of watching a film. This looks like an excellent choice. Once again, would never know a thing about it were it not for the PA forum and all our wonderful friends/ thank you my Brother!!!!!

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Alekahn2 (29th September 2023), Bill Ryan (27th September 2023), Ewan (28th September 2023), Harmony (28th September 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th September 2023), Miller (27th September 2023), Raskolnikov (28th September 2023), Vicus (28th September 2023), Yoda (28th September 2023)

5. Link to Post #143
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,625 times in 32,796 posts

Quote Posted by Raskolnikov (here)

Western Australia, 1931. Government policy includes taking half-white, half-Aboriginal children from their Aboriginal mothers and sending them a thousand miles away to what amounts to indentured servitude, "to save them from themselves." Molly, Daisy, and Grace (two sisters and a cousin who are fourteen, ten, and eight) arrive at their Gulag and promptly escape, under Molly's lead. For several days they walk north, following a fence that keeps rabbits from settlements, eluding a native tracker and the regional constabulary. Their pursuers take orders from the government's "Chief Protector of Aborigines", A.O. Neville, blinded by Anglo-Christian certainty, evolutionary world view, and conventional wisdom. Can the girls survive?

Looks like it's available at the moment on YT here:

Yes, and many thanks — I can't recommend this highly enough. Trust me on this. It's an inspiring, staggering true story, straight out of 1930s Australian history, and it's most beautifully filmed and presented.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alekahn2 (29th September 2023), Ewan (28th September 2023), Harmony (28th September 2023), Jambo (19th October 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th September 2023), Pam (27th September 2023), Raskolnikov (28th September 2023), Vicus (28th September 2023), Violet3 (28th September 2023), Yoda (28th September 2023)

7. Link to Post #144
    Thanks

Actually wasn't sure if it had already been posted. I met a lot of aboriginees during my year in Oz and they were just the best people, warm-hearted and very genuine, just keep them outta the towns and away from alcohol, like fire-water to indians, they get violent - that's racist! Anyway, hope this is a step in the right direction Ewan.

P.s. Alright, feeling inspired. The Oz outback made me remember one of my brother's favorite movies. For all you dog lovers out there, check out Red Dog, and before you write it off as mere entertainment you should know it's also based on a true story.

Funniest thing was that when he first told me I looked it up and found this:

I eventually wrote him back saying, "Yeah, I don't know brother, that was pretty bad." I thought he'd lost his mind, he was working in the mines afterall. He finally set me straight.
    Last edited by Raskolnikov; 28th September 2023 at 02:23.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Raskolnikov For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th September 2023), Ewan (28th September 2023), Harmony (28th September 2023), Jambo (19th October 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th September 2023), Pam (14th December 2023), Vicus (28th September 2023), Violet3 (28th September 2023)

9. Link to Post #145
    Australia Avalon Member Violet3's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,370 times in 236 posts

I loved the Red Dog film. Yes a true story and there is a statue of Red Dog himself in one of the country towns in WA called Dampier.
    I have heard that Rabbit Proof Fence film is very well done too but I can't bring myself to watch it. I have seen the fence itself which stlll exists and is sign-posted across quite a lot of WA for those who are interested to see it. It covers many hundreds of kilometers in fairly remote country and harsh conditions (especially summer) and I have wondered how those kids survived and stayed hidden.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Violet3 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th September 2023), Ewan (28th September 2023), Harmony (28th September 2023), Jambo (19th October 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th September 2023), Pam (14th December 2023), Raskolnikov (28th September 2023)

11. Link to Post #146
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,625 times in 32,796 posts

Quote Posted by Violet3 (here)
    I have heard that Rabbit Proof Fence film is very well done too but I can't bring myself to watch it.
    It's a most wonderful, inspiring film. I found nothing depressing about it. Three young Aborigine girls, aged 14, 10 and 8, escape from their re-education prison camp and travel 2,400 kilometers across the desert, aided by many people they meet on the way.

It's even hinted strongly in the film that Moodoo, the Aboriginal tracker (perfectly played by famous Australian actor David Gulpilil) who is sent on their trail to hunt them down whatever it takes, eventually quietly looks the other way and allows them to escape.

One of the most poignant features of the film is that A.O. Neville, the 'Chief Protector of Aborigines in Western Australia' (his real title: Neville was a real historical character), equally beautifully played by Kenneth Branagh, was not some kind of evil villain. He's presented as a good, well-meaning man — just entirely a product of his times.

For me, the most poignant part of the film was at the very very end — where you see two of the girls who escaped back to their families, now elderly women, shown in real life as their real-world selves. That's where it all strikes home with quite some irreversible impact that all this really, really happened.

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alekahn2 (29th September 2023), Ewan (28th September 2023), Harmony (28th September 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th September 2023), kudzy (28th September 2023), Miller (28th September 2023), Pam (14th December 2023), Raskolnikov (28th September 2023), tessie999 (28th September 2023), Tintin (28th September 2023), Vicus (5th October 2023), Violet3 (29th September 2023), Yoda (28th September 2023)

13. Link to Post #147
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,991 times in 2,392 posts

Quote Posted by Raskolnikov (here)
    Anyway, hope this is a step in the right direction Ewan.
    You're doing just fine, carry on.

And yes, Rabbit Proof Fence is well worth watching. I think I have watched it three times across the years and will almost certainly watch it again.

@Violet3! stop wasting time and watch it - you will not regret it.

@Bill - I too noted the character A.O. Neville just believed what he was doing was for the best, and yet, what is it they say about the road to hell and good intentions?

It gives you pause for thought though, when you think you are doing the 'good thing - the right thing' - or it should, at least now and again.
    As often these things are happening for a reason and maybe they should just unfold for you know not the outcome.

I doubt I could ever choose not to be a 'good samaritan' though, that would seem like a disconnect from empathy.

14. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Harmony (29th September 2023), Jambo (19th October 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th September 2023), Pam (14th December 2023), Raskolnikov (28th September 2023), Tintin (29th September 2023), Vicus (5th October 2023), Violet3 (29th September 2023), Yoda (28th September 2023)

15. Link to Post #148
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Violet3 (here)
    I loved the Red Dog film. Yes a true story and there is a statue of Red Dog himself in one of the country towns in WA called Dampier.
    I have heard that Rabbit Proof Fence film is very well done too but I can't bring myself to watch it. I have seen the fence itself which stlll exists and is sign-posted across quite a lot of WA for those who are interested to see it. It covers many hundreds of kilometers in fairly remote country and harsh conditions (especially summer) and I have wondered how those kids survived and stayed hidden.
    I spent a year over there, mostly in Perth and the Margaret River area, very beautiful, and yes, very hot summers. Spent most of my time near the beaches and can't imagine how they survived such a trip at that age, good parenting and strong culture go a long way. I looked up the map for the rabbit proof fence

and realized I passed through all three during my time there (but not the route in the film which is the black line). Drove the Nullarbor coming back from the east coast and made it to Kalbarri, Carnarvon, Gnaraloo, really felt like the wild outback but nothing compared to what those kids endured. Anyway, that was '93 when it was still "no worries mate." Hope all you Aussies are fairing well during these more trying times Violet3. Have to admit, I miss those Sunday sessions!

P.s. Love the Dingo fence and the "areas of pure dingo"

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Raskolnikov For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Ewan (29th September 2023), Harmony (29th September 2023), Johnnycomelately (29th September 2023), Pam (14th December 2023), Tintin (29th September 2023), Vicus (5th October 2023), Violet3 (29th September 2023), Yoda (29th September 2023)

17. Link to Post #149
    Australia Avalon Member Violet3's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,370 times in 236 posts

Well ok I'm going to have to watch Rabbit Proof Fence. I did wonder if the tracker was diverting the chase somehow as Aboriginal trackers were renowned and not much would get past them.
    @Raskolnikov thanks for that. The '"no worries mate" thing is still going strong here though a lot of people are struggling. Just as an interesting note, a colleague of mine has dogs that were attacked by dingos the other night- they can be a real problem hence the map (the wild pigs are probably as bad in the north). Anyway, back to topic.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Violet3 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Ewan (29th September 2023), Harmony (29th September 2023), Pam (14th December 2023), Raskolnikov (29th September 2023), Tintin (29th September 2023), Vicus (5th October 2023), Yoda (29th September 2023)

19. Link to Post #150
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 times in 337 posts

Thank you for posting this Vicus. One of the most beautiful movies.

Quote Posted by Vicus (here)
    I Origins

First at all to watch this film you need patience, its evolve slowly...but you will be
    compensated. Again hit all boxes from this Thread plus the motto from Avalon:
    ...where all lives matter...and science and spirituality meet.

After my first watch years ago, I don't wanted to see it again... so was the shock...
    until today. The same team from "Another Earth" make a full hit again, and they have 2 others ...
    Extra tip: when finish, wait until all credits are gone and then...

free watch here:

https://hdtoday.tv/watch-movie/watch...-16735.2519307

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Antagenet For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th September 2023), Ewan (29th September 2023), Harmony (29th September 2023), JackMcThorn (1st October 2023), Pam (14th December 2023), Raskolnikov (29th September 2023), Vicus (5th October 2023), Yoda (29th September 2023)

21. Link to Post #151
    Thanks

A retired farmer and widower in his 70s, Alvin Straight learns one day that his distant brother Lyle has suffered a stroke and may not recover. Alvin is determined to make things right with Lyle while he still can, but his brother lives in Wisconsin, while Alvin is stuck in Iowa with no car and no driver's license. Then he hits on the idea of making the trip on his old lawnmower, thus beginning a picturesque and at times deeply spiritual journey.

THE STRAIGHT STORY | 1999 | Director: David Lynch | Starring: Richard Farnsworth, Sissy Spacek, Harry Dean Stanton

David Lynch explains what inspired him to make The Straight Story:

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Raskolnikov For This Post:

Alekahn2 (2nd October 2023), Ewan (2nd October 2023), Harmony (3rd October 2023), Pam (14th December 2023), Vicus (5th October 2023), Yoda (2nd October 2023)

23. Link to Post #152
    Thanks

The most uplifting and inspiring movies for me have always been jailbreak flicks, especially when the conviction is unjustified and the jailbreak against all odds. Shawshank, Cool Hand Luke, hell, even The Matrix, cause aren't we all trying to break free of that? Absolutely love this movie. It captures everything I always loved about great literature and I really need to read the book one of these days, because the book is always better than the movie, especially when it comes to classic literature. It's a love story to end all love stories, a jailbreak to end all jailbreaks, and an occult learning experience pitting revenge against forgiveness. (Says unavailable, but just hit the link below)

The 2002 Count of Monte Cristo with Jim Caviezel if link don't work...
    Last edited by Raskolnikov; 19th October 2023 at 06:26.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Raskolnikov For This Post:

Alekahn2 (19th October 2023), Ewan (19th October 2023), Harmony (19th October 2023), Pam (14th December 2023), Tintin (19th October 2023)

25. Link to Post #153
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,327 times in 1,659 posts

Merry Little Batman

Delightful saga for the entire family for Christmas

Through a balanced mix of comedy and poignancy, sought to explore how Batman, knowing the harsh childhood he experienced losing his parents, would approach being a father. His first instinct, at least in “Merry Little Batman,” is to clean up Gotham of any and all crime.

“Damian is kind of a Luke Skywalker. His dad is Batman, yes. But his mother is also a major supervillain in the canon,” “There’s a question as to whether or not he will follow the dark side or the light side. He’s a darker character than we initially thought.”

“Batman is good at everything, but the one thing that you can’t prepare for is being a dad,” “There’s an expression that says that given enough time and preparation, Batman could defeat any enemy. But as a parent, no matter how much you prepare the night before, you cannot get your kids to school on time.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...an-prime-video

Vicus comment:
    Real fun for kids and your "inner" kid...
    No LGTB/pedo at all! Christmas miracle ?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535251...q_Merry%2520Li

to watch free here: https://freemoviesfull.net/movie/mer...-batman-103648
    Last edited by Vicus; 14th December 2023 at 09:09.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vicus For This Post:

Pam (14th December 2023), Raskolnikov (1st January 2024)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 8