Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 6 12 LastLast

Thread: The Problems with Facebook

1. Link to Post #101
    Thanks

Default Re: The Problems with Facebook

Quote Posted by Eram (here)
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by DebJoy (here)
    Facebook makes you think you are "connected" with people but in many ways you are NOT - it is a mockery of what true connection is.

Exactly,
    and Amen.

Not agreed.

Facebook, just as this Project avalon website enables people to connect. for real!

Yes, it is different than real life connections, since you don't smell the sweat, see the subtle body language that transfers about .. I don't know.. 80% of communication between people?, see the clothes that they wear, and all other imput that activate the senses.
    Yet... it is real, just in another fashion.

On top of that, the way that facebook is set up, combined with the drive that is most dominant in most people, .... it invites for very superficial communications. Still, they are real.

People connect through the internet in ways that were impossible before.

In many ways, synthetic telepathy is being born.

I agree with you that there is connection, but at a VERY superficial level. And that we are connected in ways we couldn't be before. I don't want superficial connections. I also feel it's connection at the expense of not having REAL in-person connection. I think it's a trap, that too many will not navigate well, so they gain the benefits without being sucked into the negatives. To be more specific, too many people have too much Facebook so-called "connection" and don't connect with REAL people in REAL-life situations. They can post, with impunity, things that they would never say to someone in person. They haven't really CONNECTED (most of the time) with someone when it's just witty memes, tirades, insults or compliments.

I feel like I'm trading in Facebook for a challenge to really connect in-person and online, without my privacy invaded, without censorship invoked. And it's an experiment - I'm curious what the experience will be, and how awakened I will become to other possibilities and what Facebook has been truly about for me. And then I will INTUITIVELY take the next step to return to Facebook in some capacity or continue my alternative path.

I don't like the idea of "synthetic telepathy" - feels fake to me, as though we've substituted that for the real spiritual growth that would enable true telepathy to blossom.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DebJoy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th January 2017), Eram (22nd January 2017), Michelle Marie (2nd November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017)

3. Link to Post #102
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,038 times in 1,437 posts

Quote Posted by DebJoy (here)

I agree with you that there is connection, but at a VERY superficial level. And that we are connected in ways we couldn't be before. I don't want superficial connections. I also feel it's connection at the expense of not having REAL in-person connection. I think it's a trap, that too many will not navigate well, so they gain the benefits without being sucked into the negatives. To be more specific, too many people have too much Facebook so-called "connection" and don't connect with REAL people in REAL-life situations. They can post, with impunity, things that they would never say to someone in person. They haven't really CONNECTED (most of the time) with someone when it's just witty memes, tirades, insults or compliments.

I feel like I'm trading in Facebook for a challenge to really connect in-person and online, without my privacy invaded, without censorship invoked. And it's an experiment - I'm curious what the experience will be, and how awakened I will become to other possibilities and what Facebook has been truly about for me. And then I will INTUITIVELY take the next step to return to Facebook in some capacity or continue my alternative path.

I don't like the idea of "synthetic telepathy" - feels fake to me, as though we've substituted that for the real spiritual growth that would enable true telepathy to blossom.

I see now that I did not read your post correct when I wrote a reply to it.
    I read: "facebook makes you think you are connected to people, but you are not".

so, my strong objection was based on wrong conclusions.
    my apologies.

Still, it is my experience that real connections that we also make here on Avalon are possible on facebook.

You just have to be at the right place.
    There are many "groups" there where people meet who seek deeper contact then just share what kind of cake you baked for your kid who has its birthday I
    (and even that is of some value imo).

I am aware of the dangers of facebook, but don't want to succumb to demonization.
    Humanity seems to be doing that at a growing pace every day now.
    hylozoic tenet: “Consciousness sleeps in the stone, dreams in the plant, awakens in the animal, and becomes self-conscious in man.”

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eram For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th January 2017), DebJoy (22nd January 2017), Michelle Marie (2nd November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017)

5. Link to Post #103
    Thanks

Thanks Eram, for your post, and your clarifications. And I agree with you, that in persuing online connections, that it is good to aim for deeper contact. And I too like the lighter frivolous stuff.

Do you think it's demonization to call out the negative foundations/ground rules upon which Facebook is built (privacy invasion, slanted censorship to name just 2) and refuse to participate? I think good people are very hesitant to call out "crap" (best short term I could come up with) because they wish to allow all to have the freedoms they enjoy. However, I believe it is also important for good people to call the "spade a spade" or a "shovel a shovel" (which is what I always thought it meant - to call it for what it is), and refuse to be compromised slowly (like the frog in water example, with the temp slowly raised, until the frog is cooked, but unaware it's happening til too late). Too many people have agreed to have their privacy compromised (do you REALLY want Facebook to have access to your private information stored on your computer - read the Terms of Agreement) and brush off the blatant censorship because it's more important for them to have the birthday cake photos, and easy updates with their friends, and the all-important activism communications - so then WE are complicit in allowing it all to continue without protest.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DebJoy For This Post:

Bill Ryan (24th January 2017), Eram (22nd January 2017), Michelle Marie (2nd November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017), WTHTLight (5th November 2017)

7. Link to Post #104
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

I do think this thread might be usefully bumped.

I was listening to Owen Shroyer hosting the Infowars radio show a few minutes ago. He and his guest shared a story about a couple who were suspicious about how Facebook monitored people. So they did an experiment.

They didn't have a cat — and had never posted or e-mailed anyone about a cat, or any cat. So they started talking to each other about their [fictitious] cat, in their home. "Our cat is almost out of cat food", "We've got to go buy more food for the cat" — etc, etc.

Next day, they were being shown advertisements for cat food on Facebook.

Listen here:
    This was an anecdote told on air, so it might not be exact. Can anyone find a definitive reference?

8. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Baby Steps (2nd November 2017), BMJ (8th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (2nd November 2017), gaiagirl (3rd November 2017), happyuk (2nd November 2017), Hervé (3rd November 2017), Mark (Star Mariner) (3rd November 2017), Michelle Marie (2nd November 2017), mojo (2nd November 2017), Nasu (2nd November 2017), Noelle (2nd November 2017), Omi (3rd November 2017), Omni (3rd November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017), StandingWave (3rd November 2017), Tintin (13th June 2019), WTHTLight (5th November 2017)

9. Link to Post #105
    United States Avalon Member Michelle Marie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,097 times in 2,584 posts

The guys in the audio said one guy hadFacebook on his phone. I wonder if you have to be logged in?

Also, they said you gave permission for Facebook to have access to you other apps. I don't have any apps. Does that help?

I have a Facebook account, but rarely log in or use it. It seems almost impossible to delete it. Also, I've had a strong influence to use it for marketing, which I did in the past, but have stopped that. It might be useful, though, and with Google and other Internet use age such as YouTube or Skype, it seems that the information gets out there anyway. Their data mining and fusion centers are quite insidious.

How can one really withdraw or be protected from all of that? What is the best security advice?

(I will go back and review the thread, as I haven't been on it for awhile.)

Thanks, Bill.
    Michelle Marie
    ~*~ "The best way to predict the future is to create it." - Peter Drucker ~*~ “To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson ~*~ "Creative minds always have been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud ~*~

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Michelle Marie For This Post:

Bill Ryan (2nd November 2017), BMJ (8th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (2nd November 2017), Hervé (3rd November 2017), Nasu (2nd November 2017), Noelle (2nd November 2017), Omni (3rd November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017)

11. Link to Post #106
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 times in 1,632 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

I do think this thread might be usefully bumped.

I was listening to Owen Shroyer hosting the Infowars radio show a few minutes ago. He and his guest shared a story about a couple who were suspicious about how Facebook monitored people. So they did an experiment.

They didn't have a cat — and had never posted or e-mailed anyone about a cat, or any cat. So they started talking to each other about their [fictitious] cat, in their home. "Our cat is almost out of cat food", "We've got to go buy more food for the cat" — etc, etc.

Next day, they were being shown advertisements for cat food on Facebook.

Listen here:
    This was an anecdote told on air, so it might not be exact. Can anyone find a definitive reference?
    That just happened to me about two weeks ago. I don't really use Facebook. I deactivated my account a while ago but activated it again to connect with a local lost and found pet group to help my daughter's boyfriend find his missing cat. Anyhow, one evening in October, my husband came back from his jog. He was upset because his Bluetooth headset broke and now he had to get a new one. Neither one of us were on a device. We were just standing in the kitchen talking. The next morning, I went on FB to scan the new found cat posts in that group, and I saw ads for Bluetooth headsets. My husband does not have a FB account, never has, and I have never shopped for any Bluetooth device. A few days later, he was online window shopping for biking gear; the next day, I saw ads for the same products he was looking at.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd November 2017), BMJ (8th November 2017), gaiagirl (7th November 2017), Hervé (3rd November 2017), Michelle Marie (3rd November 2017), Omni (3rd November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017), sllim11 (7th November 2017), Tintin (13th June 2019), WTHTLight (5th November 2017)

13. Link to Post #107
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 times in 638 posts

The other day I was discussing my friends legal problems over the coffee table. The following day my sidebar in Facebook was full of Lawyer adverts. I freaked out.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd November 2017), BMJ (8th November 2017), Hervé (3rd November 2017), Michelle Marie (3rd November 2017), Noelle (2nd November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017), sllim11 (7th November 2017), Tintin (13th June 2019)

15. Link to Post #108
    United States Avalon Member Charles Harris's Avatar
    Thanks

My wife has been saying for years how her Phone is listening to her.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Charles Harris For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd November 2017), BMJ (8th November 2017), Hervé (3rd November 2017), Michelle Marie (6th November 2017), Noelle (3rd November 2017), Omni (3rd November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017), sunwings (3rd November 2017), Tintin (13th June 2019)

17. Link to Post #109
    Thanks

I thought it was appropriate to post this:

It's a good video, with a huge amount of truth that we might all benefit from meditating on.

But here's the irony.

It came to my attention because the guy who made it contacted me yesterday with this marketing e-mail:

My name is Peter McBryde, I'm the main editor over at VPN Streamer.

I'm getting in touch because I really liked your article (this one: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...What&p=1063189) and was keen to share it on my social media. I have 2k+ Facebook, 2k+ Twitter, 3k Pinterest followers

I also noticed that in your article you link out to a page from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEQmFL9McU. I've actually published a similar post on deleting Facebook. If you check it out, I think you'll find that my post is a lot more comprehensive and updated.

So I was thinking that my post might make a great addition to your article.

If you were willing to add a link to my post, I'd be more than happy to feature your post on my social media accounts in exchange. I'm sure you'd get some nice publicity.

Here is the link for your review:
    https://vpnstreamer.com.au/delete-facebook

Maybe he forgot his message. We should all be on guard against becoming what we so much dislike.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (3rd November 2017), bluestflame (6th November 2017), BMJ (8th November 2017), gaiagirl (3rd November 2017), Hervé (3rd November 2017), Michelle Marie (6th November 2017), Noelle (3rd November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017), silverfish (6th November 2017), Spellbound (10th November 2017)

19. Link to Post #110
    United States Avalon Retired Member gaiagirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Slightly off topic in that Facebook was not involved (feel free to move mods) but about a month ago a girlfriend of mine gave me a sofa...we never texted about it but did speak over the phone and in the presence of our phones (her iPhone, my Android)

The day she dropped it off at my apartment my phone started showing me advertisements (during a game I play) for upholstery...completely freaked me out...

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gaiagirl For This Post:

avid (3rd November 2017), Bill Ryan (3rd November 2017), bluestflame (10th November 2017), Hervé (3rd November 2017), lloyds (3rd November 2017), Michelle Marie (6th November 2017), Noelle (3rd November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017), sllim11 (7th November 2017), sunwings (3rd November 2017)

21. Link to Post #111
    Thanks

i had the same thing happen to me and a mate. we were talking about rain water tanks for his farm, i never googled or searched anything and my phone started hammering me with water starage and rain water tank ads.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to lloyds For This Post:

avid (3rd November 2017), Bill Ryan (3rd November 2017), bluestflame (6th November 2017), BMJ (10th November 2017), gaiagirl (7th November 2017), Michelle Marie (6th November 2017), Noelle (3rd November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017), silverfish (6th November 2017), sllim11 (7th November 2017), sunwings (6th November 2017)

23. Link to Post #112
    UK Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

I became a targeted individual because of Facebook. A warning it can be a dangerous social media site if you are not careful.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skapegoat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th November 2017), BMJ (13th November 2017), gaiagirl (7th November 2017), gnostic9 (6th November 2017), Michelle Marie (6th November 2017), Noelle (5th November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017)

25. Link to Post #113
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Richtip (here)
    I became a targeted individual because of Facebook. A warning it can be a dangerous social media site if you are not careful.
    Thanks... but maybe not all that useful a warning unless you can spell out in detail how you think that happened. Can you say more?

(Note: I'm no fan of Facebook, don't use it, and am 100% distrustful of it. But hard information is what will set us free.)
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 6th November 2017 at 02:56.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (6th November 2017), BMJ (13th November 2017), East Sun (7th November 2017), gnostic9 (6th November 2017), Michelle Marie (6th November 2017), Noelle (6th November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017)

27. Link to Post #114
    Thanks

I have recently created an instagram account to promote an oracle deck that I have created. I am using it more as a gallery of the art work so as I was posting the images and writing up the words that accompany them I became very aware that I was feeding the machine (or feeding something ) i could see my phone responding in changes in predictive text and it felt like my words were little seeds being dropped into an abiss and i saw them land and grow . it felt very strong that we have an opportunity here. I don't really know how to say this but the people who run these systems of monitoring are not the systems themselves and if we back away with our input the system is only fed by one side as it were (there side) ....
    sorry am struggling to say what I mean it just felt important to say that we are the ones feeding this system so maybe we can guide this somewhat ??

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to silverfish For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th November 2017), bluestflame (10th November 2017), gaiagirl (7th November 2017), Michelle Marie (10th November 2017), Noelle (7th November 2017), raregem (6th November 2017)

29. Link to Post #115
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

I could guess where it's going? Thinking into the computer just sounds like a bad idea to me.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th November 2017), bluestflame (10th November 2017), gaiagirl (7th November 2017), Michelle Marie (10th November 2017), Noelle (7th November 2017)

31. Link to Post #116
    Thanks

a girlfriend of mine had ordered a top online and i was with her when she got the package. she took it out tried it on... blah blah blah.. decided she would send it back. the next time i went on my ipad there was an advert for the exact top from the same place she got hers from.... super creepy.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sllim11 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th November 2017), bluestflame (10th November 2017), gaiagirl (7th November 2017), Michelle Marie (10th November 2017), Noelle (8th November 2017), Spellbound (10th November 2017)

33. Link to Post #117
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,349 times in 1,707 posts

And just as an aside, in Australia we have "Google Home", ( I do not know if this has gone global yet), now for a mere $199.00 you can have the privilege of big brother/Cyberdyne Systems constant presence in your home.

Google Home will answer all your questions, give you the news, play your favourite tunes, remind you of appointments, interface with your Smart Home and allow you to easily and comfortably to slip further into a comatose state and stop wasting your brain cells on thought.

All the while gathering intel on every aspect of your life, and only for a mere $199.00 excluding tax and delivery charges.

Link: https://store.google.com/product/google_home
    Last edited by BMJ; 5th December 2017 at 05:16.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th November 2017), bluestflame (10th November 2017), Michelle Marie (10th November 2017), Noelle (8th November 2017), silverfish (8th November 2017)

35. Link to Post #118
    Thanks

From https://infowars.com/ex-facebook-pre...-vulnerability

Ex-Facebook President Warns App Exploits Psychological ‘Vulnerability’

The Facebook social networking website is designed to prey on a psychological “vulnerability,” the company’s former president recently warned.

Speaking at an Axios event Wednesday, Facebook’s first president, Sean Parker, said the app used by over two billion people around the world takes advantage of human psychology and the need for social-validation, and is possibly re-wiring human brains.
    “The thought process that went into building these applications, Facebook being the first of them, … was all about: ‘How do we consume as much of your time and conscious attention as possible?'” Parker said.

The billionaire also revealed the company proceeded with their exploitation of the human mind despite signs the website altered one’s “relationship with society,” and could be negatively affecting children.

“I don’t know if I really understood the consequences of what I was saying, because [of] the unintended consequences of a network when it grows to a billion or 2 billion people and … it literally changes your relationship with society, with each other … It probably interferes with productivity in weird ways. God only knows what it’s doing to our children’s brains.”

The app, Parker explained, plays off human psychological needs, effectively exploiting a feedback loop every time a person’s content receives likes, shares or comments, encouraging them to use the app more frequently.

“And that means that we need to sort of give you a little dopamine hit every once in a while, because someone liked or commented on a photo or a post or whatever. And that’s going to get you to contribute more content, and that’s going to get you … more likes and comments.”

“It’s a social-validation feedback loop … exactly the kind of thing that a hacker like myself would come up with, because you’re exploiting a vulnerability in human psychology.”

While Facebook developers and creators, including company CEO Mark Zuckerberg, were aware of the website’s potential to essentially control one’s mind, Parker says they did nothing to change it.

“The inventors, creators — it’s me, it’s Mark [Zuckerberg], it’s Kevin Systrom on Instagram, it’s all of these people — understood this consciously. And we did it anyway.”

Parker now heads up a cancer research institute and claims he’s become a social media “conscientious objector.”

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

bluestflame (10th November 2017), BMJ (10th November 2017), Flash (10th November 2017), Hervé (10th November 2017), Michelle Marie (10th November 2017), Sophocles (10th November 2017), Spellbound (10th November 2017)

37. Link to Post #119
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

like they been caught out in the past manipulating news feed stories to filter out positive under guise of "research"

( but facebook will always be freeeee)

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by silverfish (here)
    I have recently created an instagram account to promote an oracle deck that I have created. I am using it more as a gallery of the art work so as I was posting the images and writing up the words that accompany them I became very aware that I was feeding the machine (or feeding something ) i could see my phone responding in changes in predictive text and it felt like my words were little seeds being dropped into an abiss and i saw them land and grow . it felt very strong that we have an opportunity here. I don't really know how to say this but the people who run these systems of monitoring are not the systems themselves and if we back away with our input the system is only fed by one side as it were (there side) ....
    sorry am struggling to say what I mean it just felt important to say that we are the ones feeding this system so maybe we can guide this somewhat ??
    yeah i rekon "jadehelm" was already global before the more localised event ( indicating the problem is far worse than we've been lead to believe)

38. The Following User Says Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Michelle Marie (10th November 2017)

39. Link to Post #120
    Canada Avalon Member Spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,254 times in 1,040 posts

Facebook is the devil I tell yas. Up there with Twitter...and i-phones.

Dave - Toronto

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spellbound For This Post:

BMJ (10th November 2017), Michelle Marie (10th November 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 6 12 LastLast