Thread: The Problems with Facebook

1. Link to Post #121
    Canada Avalon Member Spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,254 times in 1,040 posts

Default Re: The Problems with Facebook

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    I thought it was appropriate to post this:

It's a good video, with a huge amount of truth that we might all benefit from meditating on.

But here's the irony.

It came to my attention because the guy who made it contacted me yesterday with this marketing e-mail:

My name is Peter McBryde, I'm the main editor over at VPN Streamer.

I'm getting in touch because I really liked your article (this one: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...What&p=1063189) and was keen to share it on my social media. I have 2k+ Facebook, 2k+ Twitter, 3k Pinterest followers

I also noticed that in your article you link out to a page from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEQmFL9McU. I've actually published a similar post on deleting Facebook. If you check it out, I think you'll find that my post is a lot more comprehensive and updated.

So I was thinking that my post might make a great addition to your article.

If you were willing to add a link to my post, I'd be more than happy to feature your post on my social media accounts in exchange. I'm sure you'd get some nice publicity.

Here is the link for your review:
    https://vpnstreamer.com.au/delete-facebook

Maybe he forgot his message. We should all be on guard against becoming what we so much dislike.
    Great video here. I've never had a Facebook account and I never will. Thx for posting, Bill.

Dave - Toronto

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spellbound For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th November 2017), BMJ (10th November 2017), Bruno (10th November 2017), Kristin (10th November 2017), mojo (10th November 2017)

3. Link to Post #122
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,729 times in 4,313 posts

I did facebook for a little while and dropped it about a year and a half ago.
    There are of course a plethora of reasons for doing so, but the most important reason for myself is rather nebulous.
    I just didn't like the way facebook made me feel.
    I would sit down and intend on just spending a few minutes only to look up and see that hours had gone by.
    I would also find myself getting irrationally upset when I was interrupted while on it.
    I'm of the opinion that something nefarious involving brainwave manipulation is going on here.
    This is a completely unfounded opinion, but there it is.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th November 2017), bluestflame (10th November 2017), BMJ (10th November 2017), Bruno (10th November 2017), mojo (10th November 2017), Noelle (10th November 2017)

5. Link to Post #123
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,223 times in 940 posts

What turns me off Facebook is more mundane - it's the observation of its average protagonist being a shallow vacuous moron. To hell with Facebook, not doing it

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th November 2017), BMJ (10th November 2017), DNA (10th November 2017), Noelle (10th November 2017)

7. Link to Post #124
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,521 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by happyuk (here)
    ...it's the observation of its average protagonist being a shallow vacuous moron.
    That begs a comment which I should maybe better redact!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

BMJ (10th November 2017), DNA (10th November 2017), happyuk (10th November 2017), mojo (10th November 2017), Noelle (10th November 2017)

9. Link to Post #125
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,223 times in 940 posts

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by happyuk (here)
    ...it's the observation of its average protagonist being a shallow vacuous moron.
    That begs a comment which I should maybe better redact!

The net has tons of examples like these. Please have a gander if you ever need cheering up (or maybe the opposite...). No. 4 really takes the biscuit.

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/704...e-should-breed

Seriously, while Facebook is a "platform" for flummery, foolishness and flim-flam, my main source of displeasure, what is more concerning is the way Facebook censors content which leads to written discussions:

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/0...conservatives/

This trend towards non-reading is only being encouraged by this dismal company. A librarian at a major American university confirmed that students who amble down to the "learning center" do not do so to study books, but to engage with their "devices" in pleasant surroundings. Trendy educational theory has been discouraging real books and critical thinking for some time,
    Last edited by happyuk; 10th November 2017 at 18:21.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Blacklight43 (11th November 2017), BMJ (10th November 2017), DNA (10th November 2017), mojo (10th November 2017)

11. Link to Post #126
    Scotland Honored, Retired Member. Mutchie passed sometime in early January 2020.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 times in 353 posts

I live in Aberdeen / Scotland if i get on public transport no one is talking infact most people have their heads fixed on a SMART PHONE & some sad individuals will text you when your sitting within earshot... And then we have facebook some people live their whole lives on social media they even post what they have for dinner etc its something which is not really bringing us closer its changing society and not for the better !!!! im just living in one small city this repeats itself the world over ....WOW WHAT ARE WE BECOMING ? Artificial intelligence will we bond with machine ? Is this our destiny ?

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mutchie For This Post:

bluestflame (10th November 2017), BMJ (10th November 2017), DNA (10th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (11th November 2017), gaiagirl (11th November 2017), happyuk (10th November 2017), mojo (10th November 2017)

13. Link to Post #127
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,413 times in 5,643 posts

Interesting always wished to keep a small electronic footprint therefore avoided FB even though there was a push by others to be a part. Already had plenty of public exposure with youtube and the forum provided more than enough offerings to fulfill any other desire of social media. The forum even has a members only section that is really nice and thank you Bill, et al. It's been a mixed bag in terms of positive and negative experience and if personally had to start over would have sent all the video evidence to another well known researcher to be spokesperson rather than being a part of the story. I truly understand why some would keep their experiences private yet if that would be the case we would not understand all about the universe and life and people. Now there are new studies out about how people have become addicted affected negatively in their mental well being. The article reported even the inventors knew of the dangers.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mojo For This Post:

DNA (10th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (11th November 2017)

15. Link to Post #128
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,692 times in 8,940 posts

How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th November 2017), BMJ (13th November 2017), DNA (10th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (11th November 2017), sllim11 (10th November 2017)

17. Link to Post #129
    Thanks

S y n o p s i s

"Are we living in a social dystopian future where our lives are molded into a digital connection where everyone is constantly rating everyone else and a person's average rating ends up dictating how they're in turn treated by the people around them? Are we becoming addicted to social media validation. Did you know only 4% of the information on the world wide web is available to a search engine? Where is the other 96%.? Did you know artificial intelligence is learning to read your mind and display what it sees: A computer guesses what people are watching based on brain activity. Let's muse the possibilities when we combine intuition, digital age technologies and human consciousness."

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sllim11 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (11th November 2017), Franny (5th December 2017), gaiagirl (11th November 2017)

19. Link to Post #130
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

If you are on facebook, as your self or using a fake name (oh yes you can do this) then you really need to ad something like ghostery to your browser to stop fb following you around the internet.

https://www.ghostery.com/

The social meja aspect I really don't get at all, the groups kinda make sense for some things, but anyway it's almost certain the likes of the NSA are following all of us regardless, we all have ip addresses & internet providers.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th November 2017), BMJ (13th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (11th November 2017), Franny (11th November 2017), gaiagirl (11th November 2017), Matthew (4th December 2017), onevoice (5th December 2017), sllim11 (11th November 2017), Spellbound (11th November 2017)

21. Link to Post #131
    Canada Avalon Member Spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,254 times in 1,040 posts

I don't have a Facebook account but I do use Ghostery. I certainly don't trust Facebook...but I don't trust Google either.

Dave - Toronto

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spellbound For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th November 2017), BMJ (13th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (11th November 2017)

23. Link to Post #132
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 times in 638 posts

This was posted by a popular comical Instagramer to his 14 million followers. (side note he posts the funniest things.) Anyway this is exactly what we are talking about here. What is interesting are the 17,000 comments all confirming this phenomena . Obviously I have not gone through them all (17,000) but here are a few I picked out.

what we always talk about lol creepy

true, but not cool 😎

this was it haha.. still has me ****ed up

his happens all the time!

How appropriate timing all these people laughing, ****'s not funny, ****'s serious. We're being spied on, we're being manipulated. #****Zuck

Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook 34.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	36447

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbUsHCmF...n-by=****jerry

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Bill Ryan (12th November 2017), BMJ (13th November 2017), Flash (12th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th December 2017)

25. Link to Post #133
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,666 times in 638 posts

Is Facebook Spying on us via listening to our Conversations?

This is the Cat food experiment which was mentioned earlier on the thread.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th December 2017), Hervé (4th December 2017)

27. Link to Post #134
    Thanks

Facebook definitely, in my opinion, has algorithms to spy on our written words. However, there is definitely a much farther reach that facebook and google have.

One week ago, i wrote in a private thread here that I was newly retired. No where else did I write this. Not even private handwriting in my personal journal for example.

Well, guess: I started receiving adds on my facebook page on retirement. I had never mention this on my facebook page. Nor anywhere else.

Absolutely scary this incredible reach in one’s private life!!

It also told me that our lovely forum is under surveillance. They are just not bright enough not to let us know.

It also told me that the information gathered by three letters agencies are not stored until retrieved only if we do something wrong, laying dormant for most of us.

It told me that the information gathered on each of us is immediately transfered for commercial use. So, facebook pays to get it and makes billions selling it. Same with google and all.

We are milked from all possible sides.

Quote Posted by sunwings (here)

Last edited by Flash; 4th December 2017 at 13:37.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th December 2017), Hervé (4th December 2017), Noelle (4th December 2017), sunwings (4th December 2017)

29. Link to Post #135
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

Quote Posted by Flash (here)
    [...]
    One week ago, i wrote in a private thread here that I was newly retired. No where else did I write this. Not even private handwriting in my personal journal for example.

Well, guess: I started receiving adds on my facebook page on retirement. I had never mention this on my facebook page. Nor anywhere else.
    [...]
    Not that "their" snooping-around abilities is to be underestimated (private fora are not "Google searchable"), but, to ascertain there are no other "trails", could it also be that said retirement news/info comes from official/government paperwork/filing (or any phone conversation?)?
    Last edited by Hervé; 4th December 2017 at 15:45.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th December 2017), Noelle (4th December 2017)

31. Link to Post #136
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 times in 1,632 posts

Facebook definitely, in my opinion, has algorithms to spy on our written words. However, there is definitely a much farther reach that facebook and google have.

Absolutely scary this incredible reach in one’s private life!!

It also told me that our lovely forum is under surveillance. They are just not bright enough not to let us know.

It also told me that the information gathered by three letters agencies are not stored until retrieved only if we do something wrong, laying dormant for most of us.

It told me that the information gathered on each of us is immediately transfered for commercial use. So, facebook pays to get it and makes billions selling it. Same with google and all.

We are milked from all possible sides.

Quote Posted by sunwings (here)

Although not related to Facebook but definitely connected to your post, Microsoft must be spying on our written words too. Why do I think this? A couple of years ago, I had an OBE in which I came out of some underground passage way (or portal), along with a small group of others in Dubai City. Mind you, at that time, I knew almost zero about this city. At one point in my experience, I am trying to find Burj Khalifa, the city's tallest building, which, like the city, I knew almost nothing about -- not even its name -- up until this experience. But I am having trouble seeing it. It was very foggy, making it hard for me to see anything.

After the experience, I recorded what I remembered in my journal, which is a MS Word document. One day maybe a year later, after getting the Windows 10 update for the first time, the background image on the password/sign-in screen showed a photo of a modern city with tall skyscrapers shrouded in fog. It was an aerial photo, probably taken from a helicopter. It looked familiar, and, after digging, I discovered it was Dubai City. Only within the last few months have I questioned how and why I was delivered that photo. Something reading my journal?

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (4th December 2017), Hervé (4th December 2017)

33. Link to Post #137
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    [...]

[...]
    Not that "their" snooping-around abilities is to be underestimated (private fora are not "Google searchable"), but, to ascertain there are no other "trails", could it also be that said retirement news/info comes from official/government paperwork/filing (or any phone conversation?)?
    NOOOO - nothing is filled yet, and it won't for a while until my unemployment insurance runs off. However, the chance of getting a job at my age are about nil for one, and second, my Facebook page list me as being 10 years younger - I did this in order to have jobs and contracts, knowing that Facebook pages are checked.
    ( and yes, I do look 10 years younger and my brain is still sharp - chuckle chuckle)

So no, it cannot be paperwork or my age on Facebook.

Phone conversations, yes.... it could be the source, on Apple IPhone though - not google Android, but if it is the source, it is still very scary this cross information given to private enterprise for corporate advertising..
    Last edited by Flash; 4th December 2017 at 17:20.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

bluestflame (4th December 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th December 2017), Hervé (4th December 2017), Noelle (4th December 2017)

35. Link to Post #138
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

LadyM....I still use pen & paper for my own journal!!! That IS weird about the photo!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Flash (5th December 2017), Noelle (4th December 2017)

37. Link to Post #139
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,320 times in 1,632 posts

Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)
    LadyM....I still use pen & paper for my own journal!!! That IS weird about the photo!
    I am in the process of going back to paper/pen.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Noelle For This Post:

Flash (5th December 2017)

39. Link to Post #140
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,316 times in 2,099 posts

That reminds me of an old, now defunct website called f***microsoft.com from 2003 or 04 perhaps. It was a very disgruntled ex-employee that said he knew for certain that when updating windows that MS would scan your Documents folder. He also mentioned some files that could be removed from windows libraries that would prove and stop this. He advised to place all documents in your own created folder rather than the MS provided official "Documents" folder, and many others tidbits of info long forgotten.

He also mentioned that Windows had a 'backdoor' for govt agencies from Win95 on, and other systems quickly added them. It's everywhere as we know by now.

BTW, I tried the cat food test only I mentioned dog food several times. I stated seeing dog food ads after 2 days.

Quote Posted by LadyM (here)

Although not related to Facebook but definitely connected to your post, Microsoft must be spying on our written words too. Why do I think this? A couple of years ago, I had an OBE in which I came out of some underground passage way (or portal), along with a small group of others in Dubai City. Mind you, at that time, I knew almost zero about this city. At one point in my experience, I am trying to find Burj Khalifa, the city's tallest building, which, like the city, I knew almost nothing about -- not even its name -- up until this experience. But I am having trouble seeing it. It was very foggy, making it hard for me to see anything.

After the experience, I recorded what I remembered in my journal, which is a MS Word document. One day maybe a year later, after getting the Windows 10 update for the first time, the background image on the password/sign-in screen showed a photo of a modern city with tall skyscrapers shrouded in fog. It was an aerial photo, probably taken from a helicopter. It looked familiar, and, after digging, I discovered it was Dubai City. Only within the last few months have I questioned how and why I was delivered that photo. Something reading my journal?

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

Bluegreen (5th December 2017), BMJ (5th December 2017), Hervé (28th February 2018), Noelle (5th December 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 7 12 LastLast