Thread: The Avalon Library: discussion and requests

1. Link to Post #21
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

Default Re: The Avalon Library: discussion and requests

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Yes, indeed — I have nearly 3,000 ebooks (about 25 Gb of material). Not sure yet how best to share all that! Uploading them individually would be a massive job. Easier would be to upload them in a small number of separate downloadable but still quite large files (maybe in categories)... but there's still a lot of work there. On the To Do list, though.
    Uploading large numbers should not be too hard. Most of these services expose a file transfer service like SFTP or FTPS facility (even FTP if you dont care about security), it is pretty standard, and you could use then use something like filezilla to log in to that and then you simply drag and drop the files, filezilla takes care of the rest.

I have not been able to determine if Wetransfer supports this owing to the annoying lack of technical information that is available on their website - every premium host I use does support this though so perhaps they do.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th April 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), gnostic9 (9th April 2016), ThePythonicCow (9th April 2016), Wide-Eyed (7th May 2016)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,434 times in 21,489 posts

Quote Posted by Anchor (here)
    Most of these services expose a file transfer service like SFTP or FTPS facility
    Aha - that was the key to the design I was looking for - Thanks!

Amazon S3 storage does not have anything like an SFTP or other conventional file uploading interface. It has it's own API, the Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) API. I found one Mac program, Panic's Transmit, that could handle that API with a user friendly interface similar to what it provides for SFTP services, but in general, user friendly interfaces to S3, from a variety of systems, Windows, Linux and Mac, are few and far between these days, and none of the user friendly ones are free that I know of.

However I now know exactly how I can make a full featured SFTP server, that I can run on any old cheap VPS server, even the $5/month fly-by-night ones, that any SFTP client, which are widely available for a variety of clients (e.g., Filezilla) can work with easily.

I will be blending pieces of tmpfs (a Linux RAM disk), OpenSSH (the best open source SSH and SFTP server), and tar or cpio. I will store the library meta-data (file and directory names and attributes, but not the file contents) as a tarball or cpio archive, in its own S3 file, along with the contents of each uploaded file, as their own distinct S3 files. When someone (who is allowed to upload to our Library, such as initially Bill) wants to browse or update whatever they have uploaded, they will fire up their favorite SFTP client, connect to the server running my program as if it were just another SFTP server, and browse and upload to their heart's content (within any per-account limits.) My server program, a modified OpenSSH SFTP server, will convert those SFTP commands to and from the Amazon S3 API, the tarball or cpio archive to and from a tmpfs file system, run the adapted OpenSSH SFTP code against that tmpfs file system, and update our AvalonLibrary store on Amazon S3 accordingly.

If I were hiring an experienced programmer to code this, I might expect it to take (wild guess) six months. However I happen to have exactly the right skill set (except for being relatively new to the S3 API, which I have been looking for an excuse to learn for a decade now) for this job, and I have done surprisingly similar adaptions in the past, with very high quality results, in just a couple of weeks. I am older and slower now, so I am estimating "a few" weeks.

This should provide a long term, quality, solution for people uploading to our Library. As soon as I have this piece coded and working, I can move over to Amazon S3 whatever has already been uploaded to WeTransfer. This solution should also provide a piece of code that I can release into the open source world, that others might actually find useful -- a better way to upload to S3 that allows using existing SFTP clients. Packaging and releasing open source projects is also one of my deep skill sets.

The questions of how best to browse, search and access the library remain. Initially, it can continue to be via postings here, such as in Bill's thread The Avalon Library, just with links to the files on Amazon S3, instead of to WeTransfer. We (I) will move over the files from WeTransfer to S3, when it's ready, if I succeed at the above task, and update the links in Bill's The Avalon Library thread.

I was toying in my mind with various combinations such as above, but it wasn't until I read your post, Anchor, that it all came together into the "right" solution.

(Don't worry if almost none of the above made any sense ... I'm a happy camper and off to do a bit of the sort of file system and interface munging coding that I have been expert in for many decades.)
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 9th April 2016 at 18:35.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Anchor (9th April 2016), Bill Ryan (9th April 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), Callista (11th April 2016), Ewan (9th April 2016), hohoemi (11th April 2016), Nasu (21st April 2016), petra (7th August 2018), Wide-Eyed (7th May 2016)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    This solution should also provide a piece of code that I can release into the open source world, that others might actually find useful -- a better way to upload to S3 that allows using existing SFTP clients. Packaging and releasing open source projects is also one of my deep skill sets.
    Well well ... thinking that the obvious name for such a project would be "s3fs", I want searching to see if that name was taken.

It was ... "s3fs" is an S3 file system mounted using the "fuse" faux file system wrapper available in Linux (rather than the "tmpfs" file system I mentioned above.)

It looks like someone may have beaten me to the interesting part of this, with an already mature and well used open source product.

So perhaps this doesn't get to be a new open source project for me, and perhaps my "few weeks" can be made a little quicker and easier.

I'll have to evaluate the suitability of the existing "s3fs" project for our use in The Avalon Library, and I'll still have to connect the other pieces, such as the SFTP server (using OpenSSH) and user account management. But that's more "system admin" work than it is "serious hacking" work.

Perhaps ... offhand, without having looked, it's not obvious to me how the s3fs project can maintain a reasonable permission model for multiple users, since those per-file attributes (owner, group and read-write-exec perms) are not per-file attributes of Amazon S3 files.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th April 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), Ewan (10th April 2016), hohoemi (11th April 2016), Nasu (21st April 2016), Wide-Eyed (7th May 2016)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

Paul, aside from FTP (a Fetch software which is my meager attempt to pretend that I know more than I do)...what you said...is way over my head. But I still wanted to send along a
    great-big-appreciation-and-thanks.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Becky (27th April 2016), Bill Ryan (10th April 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), Constance (21st April 2016), Ewan (10th April 2016), Nasu (21st April 2016), ThePythonicCow (10th April 2016), Wide-Eyed (7th May 2016)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,316 times in 10,234 posts

Ingo Swann: Penetration. (probably in Bill's big ebook file)
    Interdimensional Civil Servant

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Carmody For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th April 2016), Chip (27th April 2016), DNA (10th May 2016), raregem (27th April 2016)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,524 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    Was that a request to make the book available, or to access it yourself? I couldn't quite tell!

(It's here —> http://projectavalon.net/Ingo_Swann_..._Telepathy.pdf)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Shannon (13th May 2016)

13. Link to Post #27
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,108 times in 521 posts

does anyone have the following:

1. the documentary Michael Horn put together on Billy Meier called "And Did They Listen" ?

2. an archive of Daniel Fry's monthly newsletter called "Understanding" (particularly the first 2 - 3 yrs) ?

... thank you in advance !
    Last edited by Aurelius; 21st April 2016 at 21:13.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aurelius For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st April 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), DNA (10th May 2016), Shannon (13th May 2016)

15. Link to Post #28
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Paul, aside from FTP (a Fetch software which is my meager attempt to pretend that I know more than I do)...what you said...is way over my head. But I still wanted to send along a
    great-big-appreciation-and-thanks.
    Listed from worst to best:

TFTP = Trivial File Transfer Protocol (Uses UDP (user datagram protocol) instead of TCP (Transmission control protocol); this means the connect is "best effort" & not guaranteed)
    FTP = File Transfer Protocol (unsecure, been around for ever, uses TCP)
    FTPS = Secure File Transfer Protocol (better, passwords aren't sent in clear text anymore, traffic is SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) tunneled (encrypted))
    SFTP is a protocol which uses the file transfer services of an SSH server (or equivalent provider), so the protocol is SSH (Secure Shell) as opposed to SSL.

You weren't too far off
    Last edited by TargeT; 21st April 2016 at 12:18.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th May 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), RunningDeer (21st April 2016), Sequoia (27th April 2016), ThePythonicCow (24th April 2016), Violet (4th May 2016), Wide-Eyed (7th May 2016)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Does avalon library maybe have a book named Cosmic Top Secrets by William Hamilton III ... if it does can someone send it to me , thanks

Reply from Bill: No I haven't! I'd like to read it myself. I've copied this request post here to the Interesting Free Books in PDF thread.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 27th April 2016 at 11:28.
    UNITED WE STAND

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vektor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th May 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), DNA (10th May 2016), Wide-Eyed (7th May 2016)

19. Link to Post #30
    Language
    English
    Thanks

A brief update - for the last couple of weeks, I've been distracted with other matters in my life, but those items are mostly resolved - just one item left which shouldn't take more than an another day.

I have been setting up a new home for the Avalon Library, using the "cloud" storage of Amazon's Web Services (AWS), which will provide a longer lasting, higher quality, solution, for (usually) less money. Amazon only charges for what is used (stored, uploaded and/or downloaded), not a fixed amount, and so long as you pay your bill, there is no practical limit.

I have been using the Amazon cloud as one of our forum's back up servers for several years now. For example, the bill for last month's use of Amazon by my backups was the Grand Total of $0.17 <grin>. The Avalon Library usage would be a bit more, depending on amount downloaded, but still likely quite small.

Uploading by Bill and any others he chooses to provide material would be via SFTP, a protocol that is well supported by a variety of Windows, Mac and Linux file transfer clients, to a web server that I am developing. As of three weeks ago (before I got distracted a wee bit) I had that web server working well enough that I could use it, but it still needed some rough edges polished off, before anyone else would find it usable.

Downloading would initially by via a link embedded in a post here on the forum, just as it is now with WeTransfer hosted files. I will move the files that Bill is currently hosting on WeTransfer over to the Amazon service, so that we can then stop the monthly WeTransfer fee.

I and others have considered various ideas for other ways of indexing, organizing and searching the Library, in addition to posts on Avalon threads such as this, but none of those ideas have yet crystallized into committed projects, resources, or schedules.

Within a day or two, I expect to resume working on this next phase of this Avalon Library project, getting the Amazon cloud based version working and getting the existing Library moved over from WeTransfer to Amazon. I estimate that I have another week or two left to finish that phase (though asking a software programmer how long something will take is not a reliable way to predict the future.)

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th May 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), Constance (4th May 2016), DNA (10th May 2016), Nasu (24th April 2018), norman (4th May 2016), onawah (4th May 2016), petra (7th August 2018), RunningDeer (4th May 2016), Violet (4th May 2016), Wide-Eyed (7th May 2016)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks

A brief update -
    What this means, in practical terms (we believe!) is that once all that's in place, I can upload all my e-books — a lot of them — and have them individually selectable, rather than having to download a huge 1 Gb file just for one specific book. That should makes the Library pretty useful, we think.

22. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Billy (12th May 2016), mojo (8th May 2016), Nasu (24th April 2018), norman (4th May 2016), RunningDeer (4th May 2016), Shannon (13th May 2016), Spirithorse (5th May 2016), ThePythonicCow (4th May 2016), triquetra (5th May 2016), uzn (5th May 2016), Wide-Eyed (7th May 2016)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,021 times in 8,167 posts

The pay per use thing probably implies a need to keep data storage and transfere to a prudent limit.

That's tricky, as regards the ideas that have swirled around my head jently in recent weeks. Simple because I have a notion that Avalon multi-media could be a growing thing around here, and multi-media is hefty on the data mass.

My "ideal" scheme, would be sub groups of shareable sub folders that can be given their own limited access and folder management tools.

With that kind of setup, Avalon could develop it's own multimedia network/etc where contributing editors producers and so on can handle whatever file sharing and finishing they need to do.

Having the library right there as part of the complex could be great.

Having said that, as I was writing it, I realised that may be far more than has so far been anticipated.
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th May 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), RunningDeer (4th May 2016), ThePythonicCow (4th May 2016)

25. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,298 times in 18,139 posts

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (4th May 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), DNA (10th May 2016), Nasu (24th April 2018), norman (7th May 2016), Shannon (13th May 2016), ThePythonicCow (4th May 2016)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

May I request or ask for some of Lou Baldin's books please.
    And if anyone has an old condensed transcript of his online Q&A that was 473 pages.

Thanks!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to togetherasone For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th May 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), DNA (10th May 2016)

29. Link to Post #35
    Thanks

Quote Posted by togetherasone (here)
    And if anyone has an old condensed transcript of his online Q&A that was 473 pages.
    Yes, I have all that. Right here:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1066641

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Billy (12th May 2016), DNA (10th May 2016), Shannon (13th May 2016), sunwings (2nd January 2017), togetherasone (7th May 2016), Wide-Eyed (7th May 2016)

31. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member Wide-Eyed's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 times in 274 posts

Quote Posted by Carmody (here)
    Was that a request to make the book available, or to access it yourself? I couldn't quite tell!

(It's here —> http://projectavalon.net/Ingo_Swann_..._Telepathy.pdf)
    Excellent read , thanks for that Bill it was one of the first things I down loaded from PA when I signed up here, BTW, I thought I told either Paul or posted that I have several years of The International Remote Viewing Association - IRVA's annual conferences on DVD with probably 15 lectures or presentations per year from their members. If Paul PM's his address I will send them down to Texas. My friends worked extensively with Ingo Swann . It might be a good interview for you Bill.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wide-Eyed For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th May 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), norman (7th May 2016), Shannon (13th May 2016)

33. Link to Post #37
    Thanks

Quote Posted by togetherasone (here)
    Yes, I have all that. Right here:

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1066641
    Thanks Bill!

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to togetherasone For This Post:

Bill Ryan (7th May 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), norman (7th May 2016), Shannon (13th May 2016)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,021 times in 8,167 posts

Searchable.

I'm wondering if there's a simple free application that lays out all the title and header data of many kinds of textual and time-based media files, and gives good clear tools to standardize it all and make it incredibly searchable. (?)
    ..................................................my first language is TYPO..............................................

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th May 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), DNA (10th May 2016)

37. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wide-Eyed (here)
    BTW, I thought I told either Paul or posted that I have several years of The International Remote Viewing Association - IRVA's annual conferences on DVD with probably 15 lectures or presentations per year from their members. If Paul PM's his address I will send them down to Texas. My friends worked extensively with Ingo Swann . It might be a good interview for you Bill.
    Ah - you did post of this, here.

I should have replied at the time, sorry.

One concern for me is personal ... remote viewing doesn't happen to be a particular focus of mine at present, so I wasn't eager to spend the time uploading them to the Avalon Library (once I have that Library working on Amazon cloud storage.)

If, as you said in the above linked post, you have some 35 DVD's, and if each DVD is mostly full, say 4 GBytes (gigabytes) each, then at 3 cents per month per GByte for cloud storage, that's about 4*35*.03 or about $4/month for storage. This in and of itself is more than the total amount of space allowed on Bill's WeTransfer account that we're using right now, so sharing these via the Avalon Library will have to await my completing the move to the Amazon cloud. The cost to us for each download of each DVD, if it has say 4 GBytes, at $0.09 per GByte, which is $0.36 (36 cents per DVD download). Someone downloading all 35 DVD's would cost us 35 * 0.36 == $12.60. Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud storage (S3) pricing is available here.

Because video files are bigger, video costs more than audio, which in turn costs more than textual documents such as pdf's.

So ... this starts to get complicated .

Perhaps someone with a decent Internet connection and an interest in remote viewing would be able to volunteer to upload this material to our Avalon Library Amazon cloud storage, when the time comes.

Perhaps I'll to develop a way to throttle downloads and/or to share download bandwidth between people doing downloads using bittorrent, ... All that will require more thought and development, beyond the initial work to move the Avalon Library to the Amazon cloud. However just providing unlimited public access to large amounts (100's of GBytes) of interesting data freely downloadable could get more expensive than we'd like, and it could do this quickly. The Amazon cloud can easily handle thousands, perhaps millions, of simultaneous high bandwidth downloads.

There's a good chance that developing a way to throttle downloads will be the next task on my todo list, once I have the initial Amazon cloud based Avalon Library working. Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides a number of facilities that can be used to implement such a throttle ... it's just a "small matter of programming".

===

P.S. - I see that the IRVA Remote Viewing Conference Videos are available at the IRVA Library for downloading for IRVA members only. IRVA membership starts at $45/year. So it would seem to me to be unfair to IRVA for Avalon to provide that material for free.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 8th May 2016 at 01:59.

38. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th May 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), Bob (8th May 2016), Nasu (24th April 2018), norman (8th May 2016), RunningDeer (8th May 2016), Shannon (13th May 2016)

39. Link to Post #40
    United States Avalon Member Wide-Eyed's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 times in 274 posts

Quote Posted by Wide-Eyed (here)
    BTW, I thought I told either Paul or posted that I have several years of The International Remote Viewing Association - IRVA's annual conferences on DVD with probably 15 lectures or presentations per year from their members. If Paul PM's his address I will send them down to Texas. My friends worked extensively with Ingo Swann . It might be a good interview for you Bill.
    Ah - you did post of this, here.

I should have replied at the time, sorry.

One concern for me is personal ... remote viewing doesn't happen to be a particular focus of mine at present, so I wasn't eager to spend the time uploading them to the Avalon Library (once I have that Library working on Amazon cloud storage.)

If, as you said in the above linked post, you have some 35 DVD's, and if each DVD is mostly full, say 4 GBytes (gigabytes) each, then at 3 cents per month per GByte for cloud storage, that's about 4*35*.03 or about $4/month for storage. This in and of itself is more than the total amount of space allowed on Bill's WeTransfer account that we're using right now, so sharing these via the Avalon Library will have to await my completing the move to the Amazon cloud. The cost to us for each download of each DVD, if it has say 4 GBytes, at $0.09 per GByte, which is $0.36 (36 cents per DVD download). Someone downloading all 35 DVD's would cost us 35 * 0.36 == $12.60. Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud storage (S3) pricing is available here.

Because video files are bigger, video costs more than audio, which in turn costs more than textual documents such as pdf's.

So ... this starts to get complicated .

Perhaps someone with a decent Internet connection and an interest in remote viewing would be able to volunteer to upload this material to our Avalon Library Amazon cloud storage, when the time comes.

Perhaps I'll to develop a way to throttle downloads and/or to share download bandwidth between people doing downloads using bittorrent, ... All that will require more thought and development, beyond the initial work to move the Avalon Library to the Amazon cloud. However just providing unlimited public access to large amounts (100's of GBytes) of interesting data freely downloadable could get more expensive than we'd like, and it could do this quickly. The Amazon cloud can easily handle thousands, perhaps millions, of simultaneous high bandwidth downloads.

There's a good chance that developing a way to throttle downloads will be the next task on my todo list, once I have the initial Amazon cloud based Avalon Library working. Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides a number of facilities that can be used to implement such a throttle ... it's just a "small matter of programming".

===

P.S. - I see that the IRVA Remote Viewing Conference Videos are available at the IRVA Library for downloading for IRVA members only. IRVA membership starts at $45/year. So it would seem to me to be unfair to IRVA for Avalon to provide that material for free.
    Thank you for your research time and detailed reply regarding DVD's, I would not want to be unfair to IRVA or have PA saddled with expense. Perhaps we'll find select lectures and presentations that would serve the library while benefiting IRVA. I will look into it and get back to PA.

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wide-Eyed For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th May 2016), Billy (12th May 2016), Nasu (24th April 2018), RunningDeer (8th May 2016), Shannon (13th May 2016), ThePythonicCow (8th May 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 8 LastLast