+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Schizophrenia and its causes -- New Yorker Article

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Schizophrenia and its causes -- New Yorker Article

I hope some here will have an interest in this subject --
    and my thanks for any willing to peruse it and offer opinions.

Unfortunately, I realized that running even my compressed version of this article would be a violation --

Runs in the Family
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...-schizophrenia

and impossible to paraphrase.

If anyone is interested in looking at this article and what it reports of new studies,
    I'd encourage you to avoid the family story -- it really doesn't supply anything of value in solving the puzzle.

If anyone is interested in my compressed version, I'd be happy to PM it to you on request.

Also, I feel that there are parallels between Schizophrenia and Autism --
    not genetic, but in genetic damage in the area of the immune system.

Kobe University Antigen Study

Note: This study was not intended to prove or disprove safety or dangers of vaccines.
    The mice used were bred to resist autoimmune diseases; the injections contained antigens without toxic additives in solutions.

Read: Study Detracting Vaccine-Autism Link Backfires

The researchers injected the mice repeatedly with the antigen Staphylococcus entertoxin B (SEB) with just enough time between each injection to recover from immediate antigen reactions. They wanted to ascertain the specific mechanics of how an immune system could turn on itself to create autoimmune diseases if it was over-stimulated.

Toxic adjuvants or preservatives normally used in vaccines were not part of the study. After seven injections, the mice recovered each time with their immune systems intact. But after the eighth injection, problems with key immunity cells began arising. Looks like “greening” vaccines is useless.

Damaged cells were observed microscopically and showed signs of early autoimmunity. Their immune systems had started to self generate antibodies for autoimmune reactions after repeated antigen inoculations.

ConclusionThis study should put to rest the notion that “greening” vaccines by removing or withholding vaccines’ normal toxic additives would make the childhood vaccination schedule of close to 40 vaccinations by 18 months of age more acceptable. It is also a direct challenge to the theory and practice of vaccinations.

http://naturalsociety.com/publicized...ule-bombshell/

The study has not received much public attention.
    Others have also confirmed the findings.
    Concern is expressed for over-stimulation of young people's immune systems

- - - - - - -

PS: Some of the links I used re synapses and which give other insights --
    http://www.human-memory.net/brain_neurons.html
    and
    http://www.mind.ilstu.edu/curriculum...rons_intro.php
    and
    http://www.urbanchildinstitute.org/w...baby-and-brain
    and
    http://www.brighthubeducation.com/sc...synapses-work/
    and
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2857788/
    Last edited by Curious77; 17th April 2016 at 20:51.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Curious77 For This Post:

astridmari (18th April 2016), Cidersomerset (18th April 2016), enfoldedblue (23rd April 2016), Fairy Friend (18th April 2016), jjjones (18th April 2016), Latti (18th April 2016), Matina (17th April 2016), Matt P (17th April 2016), NeedleThreader (17th April 2016), RunningDeer (19th April 2016), Savannah (20th November 2020), toppy (18th April 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 times in 155 posts

Default Re: Schizophrenia and its causes -- New Yorker Article

Thank you Curious77 for posting.

Looks like the 'over pruning' of synapsis in the brain is what is responsible for disorders such as schizophrenia, bipolar, etc.

A good balance of getting rid of old connections is healthy, but too much can start to break down reality for the afflicted.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeedleThreader For This Post:

Cidersomerset (18th April 2016), Fairy Friend (19th April 2016), RunningDeer (19th April 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member bettye198's Avatar
    Fairfield Glade, Tennessee in the Catoosa Mts
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,026 times in 571 posts

Curious 77, you seem ambitious to uncover the real causes and affectations of schizophrenia. Let's call it a mystery illness along with all the hundred other mental illnesses tagged. As a young 18 yr old student nurse I was thrown in with the very young teen psychos for psychiatric training rotation. No one was normal in any way. My patient spoke to the air, in conversation with a invisible person. Many decades later, I came to realize there are many realities one can have a conversation with if the person is really "off the rocker". Now, as a professional it is clear to me that mental illness is a toxic effect that either creates firewalls in the synapse of the neurons firing or blockades. Are people born crazy? The genetic transfer is possible but it seems to be mostly chemical or metal toxicity.

Look at the middle ages where we had A LOT of deranged characters. They ate off pewter and lead and toxic well water and their food not refrigerated as today and wore talismans and jewelry of alloys that could have accentuated the problem. I won't get into the hygiene. Unless there is awareness coupled with knowledge of these possible poisons, the generations will assume the person is born crazy. In the 1940's to the 1960's electric shock therapy was applied. My first witness to that in 1968 left me cold. The patient was left with no memory or whereabouts by frying the brain. This was a barbaric carry over from some kind of Frankensteinian mindset. What do we do today? Hand over tons of medications that by the way have mercury and aluminum in the synthetic makeup of the med so it is a losing battle. I watched my husbands best friend go into lithium poisoning and could not graduate grad school. He flipped out and ran naked in the streets. Lithium is truly dangerous and that is the only thing modern medicine can come up with? In the dark ages or antediluvian eras who knows how far back, you were just labeled demonic. And that was also partly true as if it attracted energetically that kind of attachment while going crazy.

I will close with this. Metal and chemical and viral and bacterial and fungal toxicities lie in wait and do distort behaviors and expressions from the neural network of the brain. It is very easy to see parasites in the brain that cause this as well. My husband saw brain surgery in Mexico while in Med School. Its common in third world countries! Why doesn't Medicine here in the US see this option as a cause and treat it? Because of Big Pharma. It would take homeopathic and natural raw food supplements that target this problem.

Something more. There are mutations in the energetic field that create miasms. Study the meme and how it produces distortions of all kinds of diseases including schizophrenia.

Medical Medium by Anthony William is extraordinary reading of true cause of many mystery illnesses. I recommend.
    When you realize where you come from, you naturally become tolerant, disinterested, amused, kindhearted as a grandparent, dignified as a king. -- I Ching

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bettye198 For This Post:

Cidersomerset (18th April 2016), Fairy Friend (19th April 2016), RunningDeer (19th April 2016), Savannah (20th November 2020), ulli (19th April 2016)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,809 times in 2,892 posts

It could also be Satellite driven tech, look up Solaris Blueraven. Or E.T.
    Namaste-Matte

MY LATEST BOOK: "INTRUDERS UPON THE REALM"
    JOIN ME IN MY NEW ONGOING PROJECT
    My Bitchute
    My Music
    My Books
    Project: Shadowstalker

Once you get past the fear of darkness, you can find the things hidden in the shadows..

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shadowstalker For This Post:

Cidersomerset (18th April 2016), Fairy Friend (19th April 2016), RunningDeer (19th April 2016), Savannah (20th November 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by shadowstalker (here)
    It could also be Satellite driven tech, look up Solaris Blueraven. Or E.T.
    Hi Shadow --

Of course, we're looking for an explanation for genetic damage which would be ancient --

But the ET theory would suggest something gone wrong in "evolving" the human/hybrid.

Certainly ET activity suggests the ability for high manipulation -- animal heads on human bodies, for instance -- but we also see that a preference for the "Hollywood model" of coupling (males 20% larger than females) may have also left us with giants and dwarfs. Then, again, not sure if that is the result of genetic damage?

Since Schizophrenia is ancient -- from Ancient Egypt to Middle Ages -- and two thousand years before the birth of "Christ" -- don't think satellites would have had anything to do with it -- unless they're ET satellites?

There are two other complications -- first, seems to strike the most intelligent humans -- and, second, our "gate-keepers" of drugs today.
    In ancient times they had some barbaric means of dealing with schizophrenia, but also reports of those suffering depression "drinking from the River Lithia" -- perhaps Greece?

Lithium's presence in water...
    http://www.lenntech.com/periodic/wat...-and-water.htm

“Schizophrenia has also been associated with creativity throughout recorded history, but whether this link has a genetic basis is certainly not yet clear.”

http://schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/005516.html#
    Last edited by Curious77; 18th April 2016 at 22:43.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Curious77 For This Post:

Cidersomerset (18th April 2016), Fairy Friend (19th April 2016), RunningDeer (19th April 2016), Savannah (20th November 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Needle Threader --

Yes, and in Autism we see the under-pruning of synapses.

There are, of course, other diseases of the brain to be thought about --

Tourettes's Syndrome, of course --

Alzheimer's, for another.

and this --

Quote Around 7 out of 8 cases of dwarfism result from DNA changes in the FGFR3 gene that appear out of nowhere. Literally. These changes (or mutations) happen in the sperm or the egg or very early on in development.

This brings up the very important point that genes are not written in stone. They are written in DNA. And DNA can change.

DNA is made up of four letters that spell out, in three letter words, the instructions found in a gene for making a protein. A mutation happens when something in that series of letters changes.

Either one or more letters go missing, an extra letter or more is added, or the letters are changed to a different letter. These changes alter the instructions giving a different version of the protein.

Where do these changes come from? DNA can change because of something in the food we eat or the air we breathe, from sunlight, or a host of other environmental factors.

Or our cells can change the DNA accidentally. This happens occasionally when our cells copy our DNA. The copying process is incredibly efficient but still our cells occasionally put in the wrong letter. All the cells that come from that cell will now have that mistake.
    http://genetics.thetech.org/ask/ask179
    Last edited by Curious77; 18th April 2016 at 22:51.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Curious77 For This Post:

Cidersomerset (18th April 2016), Fairy Friend (18th April 2016), Flash (10th May 2017), Savannah (20th November 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

I think there is a link between schizophrenia, autism, multiple sclerosis, lupus, and some other forms of other immunosuppressive diseases. All of the diseases listed are the result of damage in one specific gene cluster. My family (direct family, father, sisters, nephew) have all of the above, except multiple sclerosis. And artists, musicians, several members with IQs over 200.

Luck of the draw.
    Last edited by Sierra; 18th April 2016 at 22:58.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

Chester (10th May 2017), Cidersomerset (18th April 2016), Fairy Friend (18th April 2016), Flash (10th May 2017), Jean-Marie (19th April 2016), Savannah (20th November 2020), Wind (18th April 2016)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,602 times in 1,157 posts

Here is a list of possible causes of schizophrenia if you want more examples. I feel like with autism, the cure is a diagnostic panel. And this list is what I would test for. Skip the first 8 paragraphs and just the list is important.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...-schizophrenia.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fairy Friend For This Post:

Cidersomerset (18th April 2016), Flash (10th May 2017), Jean-Marie (19th April 2016)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,645 times in 18,693 posts

Apart from the medical aspects of Schizophrenia , there are military and other
    programmes that create similar symptoms as a control mechanism since the
    1950's thru today.....Aprox 14 mins in the below vid they do discuss the difference
    between with actual Schizophrenia and those being manipulated with a sudden
    onset of similar symptoms.

ELF Technology and Mind Control with Dr. John Hall

Re: NSA Whistleblower Karen Stewart Speaks Candidly About Illegal and Criminal
    NSA & FBI Programs of Organized Stalking and Electronic Harassment

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...78#post1061078

=================================================
    =================================================

I should say I have had direct experience with someone eventually diagnosed
    from manic depressive to schizophrenic, and having voices on and off. But there
    were periods of 'normality' between attacks.This happened over 40 years and
    did have electric shock therapy in the 1960's , after personal tragedy and had
    medication on and off until death in 2003. Now looking back I wonder if it was
    genuine or part of a 'voice of god' programme ??
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 24th April 2016 at 12:42.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

3(C)+me (5th May 2016), Curious77 (19th April 2016), Fairy Friend (19th April 2016), Flash (10th May 2017)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks

bettye -

Yes, I thought the study was interesting -- especially in regard to over-pruning of synapses seen in Schizophrenia and under-pruning seen in Autism victims -- and, most especially, the connection to the immune system. And the concerns in regard to vaccines over stimulating immune systems of children/newborns.

Thanks for relating your experiences -- were these teen patients on any medication?

Now, as a professional it is clear to me that mental illness is a toxic effect that either creates firewalls in the synapse of the neurons firing or blockades.

Are people born crazy? The genetic transfer is possible but it seems to be mostly chemical or metal toxicity.

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, are you saying there is some toxic effect on the brain/immune system?

It's difficult to respond to whether people are "born crazy" - usually people do not fall to Schizophrenia until their late teens or early twenties. So something seems to be working correctly until that time. If we're talking about over-pruning of synapses, there may be a point where the over-pruning finally creates so much damage that it can't be overcome?

When you mention metals, it is exactly what I would point to -- this disease is ancient -- going back thousands of years. Indeed, any contact with metals -- Pewter, lead.
    I think we have to dismiss food and hygiene as it would have to also be something re-occurring today. (On Edit: On second thought, probably not ... pollution and metals in soil which may effect crops? Isn't that where the tetanus germ resides?)

Re Electric Shock therapy -- seems they're trying again to fry the brain ... but a little less so. Truly feel this is barbaric. Read a really interesting book a decade or so ago called "Murder on the Couch" -- just unbelievable things that they did to patients. Author's name began with a D ... but whole name is somewhere in one of my journals and not turning up in search.

What do we do today? Hand over tons of medications that by the way have mercury and aluminum in the synthetic makeup of the med so it is a losing battle.

I had no idea that there is mercury and aluminum in these medications ... !!
    But don't understand your reference to "synthetic makeup of the med" ... can you explain this?

What I understand about Lithium is that the dose which cures you is very close to dose which can kill you -- is that what happened to your husband's friend?

Certainly it is something which attacks the nervous system --
    at one time I believe it was called a "nervous breakdown."

Also note your references to "chemical, viral and bacterial and fungal toxicities --
    and that they do distort behaviors and expressions from the neural network of the brain."

Also appreciate your comments re lack of confidence in Big Pharma --
    and drug companies, of course, are heavily financing our two major parties and representatives -- and created a revolving door between corporations and government agencies.

I will check these suggested subjects --

Quote Something more. There are mutations in the energetic field that create miasms. Study the meme and how it produces distortions of all kinds of diseases including schizophrenia.

Medical Medium by Anthony William is extraordinary reading of true cause of many mystery illnesses. I recommend.
    Last edited by Curious77; 19th April 2016 at 00:05.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Curious77 For This Post:

Fairy Friend (19th April 2016)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 times in 911 posts

Vitamin B3, niacinamide, and Inositol hexaniacinate, were used by Dr.Abram Hoffer with a 70%+ success rate for the treatment of schizophrenia over a 20 year period. Although his treatments involved a comprehensive and holisitic approach, heavily focused on the chemistry and interactions within the brain and the digestive system, a system adopted by Bill Wilson the co-founder of AA, his studies show us that in many cases there are solutions sometimes not so complicated.

I'd read the results of his studies to get a much deeper comprehension of the mechanisms involved in some common causes and treatments of schizophrenia.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hym For This Post:

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Today I have a much higher appreciation for holistic medicine than ever before.
    And I'm sure more and more parents are seeking out holistic care for their children.

(Just as an aside, you're saying that the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous saw alcoholism as a brain disease/addiction perhaps/? which also created digestive system problems?)

I will look for something on Dr. Abram Hoffer's studies re schizophrenia.

And would be interesting to know if they discovered the causes of the digestive system problems.

The Vitamin approach is very interesting because some of the counter therapy for Autism has been based in buttressing the child about to get a vaccine -- or in therapy afterwards. (as I recall it - been away from this subject for a while.)

Thank you --

Quote Posted by Hym (here)
    Vitamin B3, niacinamide, and Inositol hexaniacinate, were used by Dr.Abram Hoffer with a 70%+ success rate for the treatment of schizophrenia over a 20 year period. Although his treatments involved a comprehensive and holisitic approach, heavily focused on the chemistry and interactions within the brain and the digestive system, a system adopted by Bill Wilson the co-founder of AA, his studies show us that in many cases there are solutions sometimes not so complicated.

I'd read the results of his studies to get a much deeper comprehension of the mechanisms involved in some common causes and treatments of schizophrenia.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Curious77 For This Post:

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Sierra --

The brain is the most delicate organ in the human body --
    If any damage is done to the system, it effects the brain first --

If I recall correctly, did they think at one time that pesticide spraying was a cause of lupus?

Which gene cluster are you referring to?
    And presume you mean in immune system area?

Sad to hear that your family has any of these problems --
    and hope that they have found some way to cope and find comfort.

Agree with the concept that it is "damage" occurring --

Quote I think there is a link between schizophrenia, autism, multiple sclerosis, lupus, and some other forms of other immunosuppressive diseases. All of the diseases listed are the result of damage in one specific gene cluster. My family (direct family, father, sisters, nephew) have all of the above, except multiple sclerosis. And artists, musicians, several members with IQs over 200.

Luck of the draw.
    Quote I think there is a link between schizophrenia, autism, multiple sclerosis, lupus, and some other forms of other immunosuppressive diseases. All of the diseases listed are the result of damage in one specific gene cluster. My family (direct family, father, sisters, nephew) have all of the above, except multiple sclerosis. And artists, musicians, several members with IQs over 200.

Luck of the draw.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Curious77 For This Post:

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Fairy Friend (here)
    Here is a list of possible causes of schizophrenia if you want more examples. I feel like with autism, the cure is a diagnostic panel. And this list is what I would test for. Skip the first 8 paragraphs and just the list is important.

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...-schizophrenia.
    Fairy Friend -- Thank you for the link to that amazing post --
    Will transfer the list to my records --

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Curious77 For This Post:

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 times in 911 posts

Many factors create addictions. There is enough in the book to see how Bill W.'s experience with almost all addictions found relief from alcoholism with whole nutrition, an understanding of blood sugar balance and glycemic intake, relative to the dis-ease found in addictions. Digestion and absorption are guaranteed to ease the mind of anyone, especially the addicted.

In considering Vitamin C's ability to greatly decrease cravings for drugs and alcohol Dr.Hoffer noted that ascorbates mimic morphine and fit into the opiate receptors in the brain, acting as a detoxicant. Using large doses of Vitamin C also decreases the time it takes to detox from both alcohol and heroin, methadone.

Just reread parts of Dr.Hoffer's "The Vitamin Cure For Alcoholism", had to borrow it from my son. It is all based on eating a whole food diet and wherever appropriate using vitamins, C as ascorbate and B3 in varying degrees of large amounts, along with liquid amino acids in regaining a healthy chemical balance.

It is all interconnected and I would not leave out any aspect of our lives in treating and possibly removing any illness. I had a family member who was diagnosed with the condition, but had severe dental problems which at one time were diagnosed as a relapse, that is until he had a retainer installed that relieved the pressure on his TMJ. Healthy food intake, social connection with meaning, ongoing vitamin and herbal intake, daily exercise with variety, connection with the earth-grounding and active appreciation are some of the most vital aspects to living happily and in health.

There is enough in this book alone, (with a test Doc used (HOD), a preliminary diagnostic eval. of schizophrenia as a precursor to vitamin therapy), to give an idea of an amazing scientist and doctor's outlook and successes treating schizophrenia. There is also quite a holistic outlook on how hard it has been for such honest and insightful professional healers to get there works implemented into society.

Dr. Hoffer had many quacks and professional drug dealers (psychiatry, pharma, the a.m.a., etc.) go after him and Bill W.'s enthusiastic endorsement of vitamin therapy and a healthy diet.

Dr.Hoffer even writes about internet and governmental censorship of his proven treatments. He also writes on how an orthomolecular approach can be misused. He was a founder of the Orthomolecular Journal, and MD, PhD, and wrote over 600 articles in medical journals, authoring 30 best-selling books.

We look at all aspects of the science and teach each other. We also share our anecdotal experiences, for within them sometimes the greatest inspirations are awakened.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Fairy Friend (20th April 2016), RunningDeer (19th April 2016)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

I also had an aunt, a biochemist, who did research to find out if schizophrenia had a biochemical basis as the cause, rather than a refrigerator mother etc. she came up with a test that located what she called, the mauve factor, which showed up in testing of urine IIRC. Apparently schizophrenics (of the biochemical causation) cannot process adrenochrome, which is a byproduct of adrenaline, and it is this substance that causes hallucinations. My sister had the mauve factor, became schizophrenic, while my genius IQ cousin who also had the factor, did not.

The mauve factor shows up in schizophrenics, but in relatives as well that do not show signs of schizophrenia, so it is thought stress is a catalyst as well, as it is with so many diseases. My sister who was schizophrenic, had a child with Autism, and a child with a > 200 IQ... that she was very carefully attempting to get to adulthood without stress (though being the sibling of an Autistic gets damn stressful, lol), to avoid catalyzing schizophrenia.

Curious77,

I don't know which gene cluster it is. These nuggets were dropped on me by my sister, who had access to medical research sites, because she did volunteer research for her son's doctor. I was also invited to belong to a mothers of Autistics forum, because I was one of the few relatives of autistics that did not run away from the stress/pain, and supported my sister as best I could, so that may be another location where I learned about this material.

Yes, all of these diseases I listed impact the immune system, and vice versa, in my opinion. My autistic nephew's amniotic sac was breached by a doctor during the brain development stage allowing contamination to enter her womb. (He did this with three other families in Portland OR, she knew about as well. They bumped the arrogant murderous bastard upstairs to admin.)

Because of my aunt's research, I grew up taking daily massive doses of vitamin C, and Niacin, which apparently helps clear out the adrenaline byproduct, adrenochrome.

Wow. I haven't thought about this stuff in decades...

Cope? No, lol, not really, a lot of suffering, and for other reasons besides a nasty gene cluster. My sister killed her cousin in a deliberate car accident (according to the other three people in the car who miraculously survived), my father committed suicide at 53 (yes, we believe he was an early MKUltra-military test subject/victim, as was another sister of mine), and my poor genius IQ nephew is a very unhappy person, I think. As I look back on those times, I am blown away I came out as unscathed as I did. Thank G*d I was deaf, undiagnosed and thought to be retarded, and had a mild case of cerebral palsy I outgrew, because this is what made the MK jerks reject me.

As Carmody would say, "Differential".

I yam what I yam. It's all good.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

Curious77 (23rd April 2016), Fairy Friend (20th April 2016), RunningDeer (19th April 2016)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Thank you for the interesting reply ... hope to be back to re-read tomorrow.

34. Link to Post #18
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,602 times in 1,157 posts

You might think of checking into epigenetics as well. Breal had a great documentary called ghost in the genes. Answers maybe there too.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...es-documentary

And just wanted to mention. Protocol or diagnostic panel used to screen autism should be different, done at different times than for schizophrenia. At birth when the gut is being primed. Check into lack of the presence of bactericides bifidous and presence of nagelase. I know there are threads about that as well.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Fairy Friend For This Post:

Sierra (23rd April 2016)

36. Link to Post #19
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,140 times in 1,005 posts

This is an excerpt from an article I wrote about a study that found a link between creativity and mental illness...
    Quote “Crazy was such a complex concept that encompassed much of what we didn’t understand about the human mind, and the intangible aspects of our reality.” ~ C. Lavers, Jump Into the Blue

One possible explanation for why this relationship between mental illness and creativity exists is because, in both cases, there is an enhanced connection with the unconscious.

The unconscious represents a mystifying, unquantifiable space within each of us. While science is able to document some of what we are capable of at the deeper levels, there is still an enormous amount of mystery around what the unconscious actually is. It is not something that can be dissected and examined with a microscope. We may have mapped so much of our physical world, even explored deep space, but our internal world, where we return every night in sleep, is still predominantly unchartered territory.

What little that we do know about this inner realm is that it has the ability to store masses of data, way beyond any computer in existence today, and also has the ability to make leaps and connections that appear ‘genius’ to our ‘little’ conscious minds. There are countless examples of scientific and cultural breakthroughs that sprang from the unconscious in the form of dreams, visions and imaginative play. Some notable ones include: Einstein’s theory of relativity, M Theory (another theory in physics that unites versions of string theory), the periodic table, modern robotics, the sewing machine, and Mary’s Shelley’s Frankenstein.

Most of us have strong filters in place that limit the flow from the unconscious into conscious awareness. This is important because without any filters we would undoubtedly become overwhelmed in an attempt to process the vast amounts of seemingly wild and illogical content. So a plausible theory regarding the relationship between creativity and mental illness might be explained by a genetic predisposition to having a less stringent filtration system in the brain, which allows for an increased flow between the conscious and the unconscious.
    full article

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enfoldedblue For This Post:

Baby Steps (23rd April 2016), Chester (10th May 2017), Fairy Friend (23rd April 2016), Sierra (23rd April 2016)

38. Link to Post #20
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 times in 1,689 posts

There was a famous psychiatrist in the 50's and 60's who did a lot of work with children and others and was a prolific author. His name was a household name. I read some of what he wrote about his experiments with schizophrenics. In short, he used massive doses of Vitamin C on the most hopeless cases with complete success. This confirms those above who used the nutritional view of healing.

I was inadvertently married to a secret schizophrenic, an economist, who could not take the stress of his work. While in college, he ate poorly, a diet of hamburgers and probably not much else. He refused to take the medication offered and complained that he was unable to function while using it. He eventually went quite bonkers. I wish I had read about the Vitamin C in time for that episode in my life.

An interesting aside about people who hear voices and seem to be having delusions. They may be having cross-over experiences from parallel lives. I know that sounds nuts, but if we are living many lives simultaneously, they must be connected at some level; and a nutritional deficiency may thin the barrier between worlds. Also when Schizophrenics hear voices, they may be connecting telepathically with others.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

Fairy Friend (24th April 2016), petra (20th November 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast