+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4

Thread: Dare to Prepare

1. Link to Post #61
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Question Re: Dare to Prepare

From "tiny apartment in NYC with literally zero food or supplies" to "remote cabin in Alaska with enough supplies to support my extended family for five years straight", where do you fall on the prepping spectrum?

I currently live in an apartment in a small city. I have a decent amount of food in a large plastic bin and medium-sized suitcase. I plan to get some water filters and a cooking solution ASAP. I also need some fuel that's easy to store to get me to another location if SHTF (hard to store gas in jerry cans if you live in an apartment).

Good all-in-one resource on prepping: https://montalk.net/notes/341/surviv...y-preparedness

I have been tempted to feel foolish using a good chunk of my spare money to prepare for a hypothetical event when I'm not exactly a big earner recently, but it's very, very easy to imagine a situation happening in the next year where mass panic leads to grocery shelves being wiped out. Add in some "supply chain delays" and there you have it.

I felt by not being prepared, I was making a bet against collective hysteria, and we saw how easily toilet paper was wiped off the shelves during COVID. It would be infinitely easier to redirect that hysteria towards food especially if there was a more significant, acute event. I can't help but think an event of that caliber is set to happen sometime in the next year. To what extent that loose prediction is colored by fear rather than being in the loop, I'm not sure.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to waxamillionpehhgasus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2023), Casey Claar (7th December 2023), Harmony (8th December 2023), Inversion (7th December 2023), Ioneo (8th December 2023), Marianne (7th December 2023), pounamuknight (11th December 2023), Sadieblue (7th December 2023), The KMan (7th December 2023), thepainterdoug (7th December 2023), Yoda (7th December 2023)

3. Link to Post #62
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,162 times in 3,159 posts

Default Re: Dare to Prepare

Im in a city near NYC. I have mixed feeling about it all. I have supplies I have taken precautions, all the usual, flashlites, batteries, water food, and so on. Prepared more than most I believe.

My issue is what world, what kinda world we we be left with if the unthinkable goes down? . It will always be the haves getting taken down by the have nots. People will be ugly desperate. And I will probably be too generous to others , especially children and share with all if it gets bad.

There will be no winners. I dont want to be around. I think a good supply of ambien is something to consider. My thoughts as of now in comfort. We shall see??

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Bill Ryan (8th December 2023), Casey Claar (7th December 2023), Harmony (8th December 2023), Inversion (7th December 2023), pounamuknight (11th December 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (8th December 2023), Sadieblue (7th December 2023), Satori (7th December 2023), Yoda (7th December 2023)

5. Link to Post #63
    United States Avalon Member Casey Claar's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,973 times in 728 posts

I would try to not think of it in terms of being prepared for a hypothetical event, and instead to simply learn to be more prepared. This is how I think of it. It is an exercise in itself. Past generations always lived this way, it is only in the 'disposable' generations post 1970 that sequentially became less so. It is a weakness in the collective structure of our people, notably in the United States. I live in California ( and was raised in Nevada ), warm climates, I have never even owned a pair of closed toe shoes. I do not own a jacket. I barely even have a decent, ie: sturdy pair of jeans. - nothing at all for cold weather. I am seeing to this now. I've gotten emergency lighting in place, a few tools ( something I also have none of ), a cooking system, latrine system, water filtration system and food. It is not like any of this will ever go to waste, I am just learning to live with more on hand than I generally do. Learning how to stock for a year rather than a month does take learning. I am teaching some of this to some of those who are around me as well. Notably the water and water filtration. I am letting people around me at least know I am concerned. Nothing fanatic, just observant and concerned and taking a few important, critical steps. We will certainly be seeing more events in the coming future, these steps will help me and others navigate events far less disturbed than otherwise. And also let more of us be of assistance to some others. This is what is ultimately important -for me, anyway.
    "Love is what is left when you let go of everything you no longer need." —Raj

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

Anchor (9th December 2023), Bill Ryan (8th December 2023), guenonsbitch (9th December 2023), Harmony (8th December 2023), Inversion (9th December 2023), pounamuknight (11th December 2023), thepainterdoug (8th December 2023)

7. Link to Post #64
    United States Avalon Member Casey Claar's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,973 times in 728 posts

Quote Posted by Casey Claar (here)
    I would try to not think of it in terms of being prepared for a hypothetical event, and instead to simply learn to be more prepared. This is how I think of it. It is an exercise in itself. Past generations always lived this way, it is only in the 'disposable' generations post 1970 that sequentially became less so. It is a weakness in the collective structure of our people, notably in the United States. I live in California ( and was raised in Nevada ), warm climates, I have never even owned a pair of closed toe shoes. I do not own a jacket. I barely even have a decent, ie: sturdy pair of jeans. - nothing at all for cold weather. I am seeing to this now. I've gotten emergency lighting in place, a few tools ( something I also have none of ), a cooking system, latrine system, water filtration system and food. It is not like any of this will ever go to waste, I am just learning to live with more on hand than I generally do. Learning how to stock for a year rather than a month does take learning. I am teaching some of this to some of those who are around me as well. Notably the water and water filtration. I am letting people around me at least know I am concerned. Nothing fanatic, just observant and concerned and taking a few important, critical steps. We will certainly be seeing more events in the coming future, these steps will help me and others navigate events far less disturbed than otherwise. And also let more of us be of assistance to some others. This is what is ultimately important -for me, anyway.

One more note.

Regarding the water filtration, I've discovered an incredible resource >> the emergency Sawyer water filter

They have a few different filters, including a tap filter that attaches directly to most taps. It is a filter you can backflush that, relative to other filters can almost be called a forever filter. It was designed and made to bring potable water to third world countries where there is not anything close to safe drinking water. It can handle up to 500 gallons a day ( yes you read that right ) and if properly cared for can last up to 10 years. The people behind this effort are not in it for the money, they are amazing. I am getting these for everyone I know. Note: do not be rooked shopping for this on Amazon, the tap filter only runs for about $35. It also has its limits, it is designed to filter out pathogens that can make you sick, not chemicals or pharmaceuticals. This is a stage one filtration. I would be using it in conjunction with the Clearly Filtered system *which filters out fairly much everything else.
    "Love is what is left when you let go of everything you no longer need." —Raj

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Casey Claar For This Post:

Anchor (9th December 2023), Bill Ryan (8th December 2023), Harmony (8th December 2023), I am B (9th December 2023), Inversion (9th December 2023), Ioneo (8th December 2023), kudzy (8th December 2023), Matthew (8th December 2023), pounamuknight (11th December 2023), RatRodRob...RRR (8th December 2023), Reinhard (10th December 2023), Yoda (10th December 2023)

9. Link to Post #65
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

Who here has actually used a water filter, extensively, to subsist on otherwise untreated water? Do you Filter, Sanitize or both or maybe Distill? It can be inconvenient to do.

All have their place - here is what I do on a normal day. My farm is off grid. The house water comes from a large 80 cubic meter rainwater tank that is fed from the roof. On demand, is pumped through this: ( https://daveywater.com/au/product/microlene-uv-systems/ ) and then into the house.

Rainwater is pretty clean anyway but always has the potential for some lifeforms you don't want to have your body fighting with. UV deals with it fully - so free protein but no tummy bugs! So, when required a water pressure pump delivers water from the tank to two stages of filtration, 20 micron and 1 micron respectively. From there it passes down a long stainless steel tube with a UV lamp in it that comprehensively sterilizes the water. This is the water I use for everything inside the house. All this requires electricity of course and the pump and filter/UV treatment are all using power from off-grid solar energy - which was designed with this in mind.

So assuming that's all gone wrong for whatever reason, or for when I am not at the farm...

My filter of choice is a Katadyn Pocket filter. I bought one ages ago and have tested it a lot on water out of a creek, dam etc. I got the spares/service kits for it so it will probably outlast me. It lives in my car bug out kit. I cant remember how much I paid 20 years ago, but I see today they are very expensive. https://www.katadyngroup.com/de/en/2...r-filter~p6695. I think if I was going to spend that kind of money now, I would rather spend elsewhere and just stick with improvised filters or... I would fall back on my method of choice is steam distillation ( https://watershop.com.au/product-cat...ms/distillers/ ). Distilling cleans the water perfectly - everything down to chemical impurities removed. 4 liters at a time, but at the same time this uses around 4 units or kilowatt-hours of electricity - or at least mine does. That is half my daily off-grid solar budget of 8 units a day, not something you should do unless you have a resilient and sustainable source of energy.

Sanitization

For when I don't have power or energy to treat water, I also have a battery powered UV sterilizer that does water sanitization ( https://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/ste...urifier/102054 ). You need 4 AA batteries for this (I use rechargeable ones - they work fine). This can sterilize the content of a Nalgene 32oz / 1 litre sized water bottle (in fact it has an adapter in the kit that screws on to the bottle in place of the lid to make it easy - and it can do that many times in a day - but the water needs to be clear so the UV can penetrate properly - solids in suspension cast shadows and mess up the effect. Again this kit lives in my car bug out kit - and also comes with me on travels and can be used on a per cup basis.

For extended storage of potable water I use katadyn Micropur tablets/powder - specifically not the chlorine variant type by the way, the harder to get active silver variant. - These don't have a very long shelf life so you need to be using them on rotation. That water must be stored in airtight containers, so for me that means I choose stainless steel or mylar bags - I don't trust other methods over the long term.

As you can see its a layered approach. Starting with rolls royce, then falling back as dictated by circumstances.

A..
    Last edited by Anchor; 9th December 2023 at 22:00.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th December 2023), Casey Claar (10th December 2023), Harmony (9th December 2023), I am B (9th December 2023), Inversion (9th December 2023), Peace in Oz (10th December 2023), pounamuknight (11th December 2023), TargeT (10th December 2023), Yoda (10th December 2023)

11. Link to Post #66
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,006 times in 337 posts

The best video for prepping imo, from the best channel about prepping out there.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I am B For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th December 2023), pounamuknight (11th December 2023), Yoda (10th December 2023)

13. Link to Post #67
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by waxamillionpehhgasus (here)
    "remote cabin in Alaska with enough supplies to support my extended family for five years straight",.
    Terrible idea, I lived in AK for 13 years.. it's no where near "easy" in good times.

Quote Posted by Anchor (here)
    Who here has actually used a water filter, extensively, to subsist on otherwise untreated water? Do you Filter, Sanitize or both or maybe Distill?
    I did in AK for 8 years (well water) and on St Croix for 8 years (rain water).

the AK water was so pure I just did a sentiment filter, in STX I used a double osmosis with UV sanitation.

I suggest the later but with both systems make sure you have a good stock pile of filters.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Anchor (11th December 2023), Arcturian108 (10th December 2023), Bill Ryan (10th December 2023), pounamuknight (11th December 2023), Yoda (10th December 2023)

15. Link to Post #68
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,951 times in 2,389 posts

Wasn't entirely sure where to post it, but just in case the next catastrophe turns out to be ice - rather than fire...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th December 2023), Brigantia (11th December 2023), Casey Claar (11th December 2023), pounamuknight (11th December 2023)

17. Link to Post #69
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,659 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)
    Wasn't entirely sure where to post it, but just in case the next catastrophe turns out to be ice - rather than fire...

If there's enough snow, a nice snow dig out and a single candle is heaven (the key is blocking wind and keeping air still (aka, the AIR you have warmed up). Also, eat as much as you can; cold living caloric intake is vastly higher than you'd think.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th December 2023), Brigantia (11th December 2023), Casey Claar (11th December 2023), Ewan (11th December 2023), Harmony (20th December 2023), Peace in Oz (11th December 2023)

19. Link to Post #70
    United States Avalon Member Alekahn2's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    ~ "...burn for no reason, like a lamp in the daylight" ~

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alekahn2 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th December 2023), Ewan (21st December 2023), Harmony (20th December 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 4