+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Dare to Prepare

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,417 times in 326 posts

Default Dare to Prepare

This is an excellent National Geographic show on prepping !

This show features a variety of 'normal' suburbanite families and how each of them are preparing for the end of the world as we know it. Very informative.

Blessings,
    Yiola

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to yiolas For This Post:

<8> (1st July 2011), Carolin (1st July 2011), ceetee9 (30th June 2011), Gaia (1st July 2011), Lord Sidious (21st August 2011), Lost Soul (30th June 2011), Maia Gabrial (30th June 2011), Marianne (20th August 2011), Marikins (30th June 2011), MorningSong (30th June 2011), Turcurulin (12th March 2012)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 times in 254 posts

Default Re: Dare to Prepare

Thanks Yiola that was awesome!!!!!!! I'm feeling very under prepped after watching that. A must see for all of us.
    Life is what it is. How you perceive it creates your reality.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carolin For This Post:

Marianne (20th August 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    UK Avalon Member Mark Aldebaran's Avatar
    Thanks

If you read the Dead Sea Scroll material you will understand that the Essenes were living in an eschatological/apocalyptic end-time countdown for hundreds of years. That was 2,000 years ago. These nutjobs are just beginners.

So, to answer your question, I'm watching prepping videos primarily for their entertainment value.

Imagine my disappointment when I discovered Coronal Mass Ejection has nothing to do with free beer.
    I'm gutted.
    "Oh, man. Look at those cavemen go... " David Bowie.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Aldebaran For This Post:

Vanessa (6th March 2012)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,417 times in 326 posts

I haven't done much prepping myself either. However, I am aspiring and well on the way to attaining what these guys have accomplished.

Their website is very interesting as well. Urban Homestead

Last edited by yiolas; 1st July 2011 at 18:18.
    Blessings,
    Yiola

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to yiolas For This Post:

Casey Claar (30th November 2023), lisalu (11th December 2011), Marianne (20th August 2011), Miller (11th December 2011), Sesan (21st August 2011), Sniffity (18th April 2012), spiritwind (29th October 2012)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Rice noodles - I've stocked up on vermicelli noodles $1.29 for a package that could feed a family of 4 for a day or two. Only 1 minute of cooking time and you could probably just put it in the sauce and it will soften to preserve water. Rice paper is also awesome 5 seconds in hot water and you can wrap it around anything....would be great for all the tuna/salmon I have stock piled.

Portable garden -I've planted my garden in containers so if I have to I can bring them with me. Hanging planter bags that are everywhere now, old flower pots, blue boxes, even planting directly in the bag of soil.

Fondue - I've been stocking up on Sterno for my fondue pot and tea lights for my chocolate fondue set. Great for cooking or warming without power. Safe to do inside your home.

Looking forward to some tips from the forum

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carolin For This Post:

AuCo (7th July 2011), MorgaineFallen (7th July 2011), phimonic (7th July 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

maybe for surviving-purposes, it was good to have some things, you won't need so much energy and water to prepare - just a thought -

maybe speck (dried meat) and schuettelbrot good as surviving-food - chocolate, hemp-seeds, nuts, dried fruits - all kinds of things that our ancestors used to survive winter in the mountains, would be suitable i guess.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phimonic For This Post:

AuCo (7th July 2011), Carolin (7th July 2011), MorgaineFallen (7th July 2011)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

Well, preparing physically and mentally might be a good thing too. I tend to eat a lot, especially good foods. I am "trying" to cut back on that and go for poor man's meal more often nowadays. The problem is my wife usually over serves the kids and I always ended up taking in the leftover.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuCo For This Post:

Carolin (7th July 2011), MorgaineFallen (7th July 2011)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Moderator Marianne's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,392 times in 2,258 posts

The preppers who have roomsful of cases and bottles of food, medicine, water, etc. are in it for the long haul. I don't have the energy or the resources to do that. I want to live my life and find joy in each day, now. I don't want to be always thinking of the stash.

That said, I have put in a good amount of canned and dried food. I have the necessities for my family to survive for a couple of months, I think. I'd like to think I am resourceful enough to grow some food and use it for my family and others, depending on the time of year. Like, growing soybeans... you can make soy milk and tofu, which is high in protein. (before you turn your nose up at soy milk, have you ever tasted it fresh? It's a whole 'nother drink!) Quinoa is a grain that's high in protein. Amaranth is a grain that grows like a weed and gives an abundant harvest.
    My 84-yo mom has enough food to feed us for a year or more. She's not a prepper, it's just that she grew up in the depression and was often truly hungry. She feels secure when she has an over-abundance of food.

Who knows how we would react in a crisis. I want to still have some humanity intact at the end of day. Otherwise it's not worth it to me. Am I just being a Pollyanna? Maybe.

How do others feel about ethics in a crisis? Do you have a stash? Have you decided what to do in the event of a disaster? Or, just tell me whether you prefer canned or dried beans! I'd just like to hear from others.

Thanks.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marianne For This Post:

Miller (11th December 2011), Selene (6th March 2012)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Junebug (here)
    How do others feel about ethics in a crisis? Do you have a stash? Have you decided what to do in the event of a disaster? Or, just tell me whether you prefer canned or dried beans! I'd just like to hear from others.

Thanks.
    Anybody?? Anybody??
    Maybe folks don't like to talk about their stash -- I can understand that. Maybe most folks don't have a stash. I'm just wondering generally what people are thinking and/or doing.
    I want some food and water stashed regardless of what the sun and outlaw planets/comets do. I live in tornado country. (wish I could find a little tornado icon).
    Hello, anybody out there?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Marianne For This Post:

Selene (6th March 2012)

19. Link to Post #10
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,983 times in 1,749 posts

I recall a couple of years ago our city (Perth) experienced a severe storm which basically shut it down for over a week,
    there was water, but no power and while food was still there in the shops, it made me wonder-it would not take much
    to compromise the 'normal life-style' for an average western city-a few days of no power and inability to get stock
    on shelves, people would start to go hungry. It just makes good sense to prepare for any contingency, my parents lived through
    WWII and always had a stock of extra food on hand. I have a decent stock, but i will add to this, Water is vital. Thanks Junebug.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

Marianne (21st August 2011), Selene (6th March 2012)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member GlassSteagallfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 times in 987 posts

I bought heirloom seeds on ebay. Next comes the seed saving book.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GlassSteagallfan For This Post:

Marianne (21st August 2011), Selene (6th March 2012)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member GlassSteagallfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 times in 987 posts

Quote Posted by Junebug (here)
    you can make soy milk and tofu, which is high in protein. (before you turn your nose up at soy milk, have you ever tasted it fresh? It's a whole 'nother drink!)
    Try vanilla - so goooooood to the last drop!

The original video posted has been removed by the user. Here is another link:

Last edited by GlassSteagallfan; 21st August 2011 at 04:14.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlassSteagallfan For This Post:

Marianne (21st August 2011), Miller (11th December 2011)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Glasssteagalfan, do you make your own soy milk? When I visited Singapore, I was given a glass of warm soymilk at bedtime, and it was so delicious. It may have had a bit of vanilla in it.
    I hadn't heard of a seed saving book -- do you mean a binder/notebook to organize your seeds? I can see how that would be very handy--maybe using the plastic sheets made for CD's.
    I like to get my heirloom seeds from Baker Creek (rareseeds.com). But they are not packaged for long term storage. I just plan to plant them and harvest seed every 2-3 years so it stays fresh. They have so many different kinds of tomatoes and squash, it makes your head dizzy!

Thanks for replying!
    Last edited by Marianne; 21st August 2011 at 04:19.

26. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

Quote Posted by GalaxyHorse (here)
    I recall a couple of years ago our city (Perth) experienced a severe storm which basically shut it down for over a week,
    there was water, but no power and while food was still there in the shops, it made me wonder-it would not take much
    to compromise the 'normal life-style' for an average western city-a few days of no power and inability to get stock
    on shelves, people would start to go hungry. It just makes good sense to prepare for any contingency, my parents lived through
    WWII and always had a stock of extra food on hand. I have a decent stock, but i will add to this, Water is vital. Thanks Junebug.
    GalaxyHorse, I think they figure 3 days of food at most here in US, if there's no restocking. I think it would be quicker than that--people storm through the markets at the first hint of bad weather and buy up all the bread and milk. That's for a relatively minor event--if something bad happened, people would buy larger quantities and it would go >poof< soon. I agree it could be a scary scenario when city folk run out of options.
    Water is one area I'm not as well stocked in.
    Thanks for your reply.
    Marianne

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

I've put some of these on other threads but I'll do it again here.

-Tomatoes, lettuce, beans and peas planted in containers that can be brought inside.
    -Lots of rice products, vermicelli noodles and rice paper are cheaper than wheat products and will last forever. I use vermicelli to make spaghetti all the time.
    -I've also stocked up on spice mixes to throw on noodles instead of spaghetti sauce for some variety. The latter would also be easier to transport if need be.
    -Lots of easy to prepare foods like granola bars, cereal & rice/soy milk, peanut butter & jam, beans, canned tuna/salmon/ham. Small jars of mayo (no spoiling)
    -All natural dehydrated mashed potatoes, add boiling water and some gravy or creamed corn
    -Sterno stove and lots of sterno. http://www.sterno.com/retail/pages/stove.html
    -I figure I can use my regular and chocolate fondue sets to cook with in a pinch.
    -I also have a hot stone to cook on http://www.hotstones.com/
    -Bottled water and other beverages plus containers to fill if crap happens....fill your tub.

After listening to Alexander Retrov's video I'm trying to prep our home so we can stay indoors for two weeks. Not quite sure where our golden is going to relieve himself but I'll figure it out.
    Last edited by Carolin; 21st August 2011 at 04:47.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carolin For This Post:

Selene (6th March 2012), spiritwind (29th October 2012)

29. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Carolin, I hadn't thought about keeping container plants for portability. I want to put together a cold frame for cold weather plants like lettuce and greens.
    What do you do with rice paper? I know it's edible, but not sure how, unless just a snack.
    Spice mixes -- great idea! I have lots of herbs, but preparing them into mixes would be handy.
    And small jars of spoilable things like mayo, good idea.
    Your fondue sets use little sterno cans, right?
    You have obviously put a lot of thought into this. Thanks for posting it again. I guess I need to look more deeply into the threads.
    Best,
    Marianne

30. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Marianne/Junebug the rice paper I buy comes round in a package of 40 for about $2. Three seconds in hot water and it's pliable. I use them to make pizza pockets, perogies, spring rolls or anything else you would eat on bread.

Yes, my fondue sets use sterno. The chocolate fondue sets use tea lights which would warm up some soup or beans nicely.

Hope you enjoyed your chocolate sundae! I ate a whole bag of chips today....by myself...in one sitting!!!!!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carolin For This Post:

Marianne (21st August 2011), Vanessa (6th March 2012)

32. Link to Post #18
    United States Avalon Member lisalu's Avatar
    Thanks

this is my very first post. the video has been removed but I'm sure I can find it on youtube. I have a couple of things to add to this, on food preparation, for whatever reason. camping even.
    we have a Foodsaver gadget that vacuum seals your food after sucking the air out. it is great for the freezer and for dry foods. One of the things we've been doing is making jerky. beef and venison. Alton Brown has a great instructional video on making jerky without a food dehydrator.( just google it on youtube ) using a box fan and some furnace filters. it works great! then you seal it up with the Foodsaver and it is ready whenever you need it. We put a cup of brown rice per bag and seal it, also the same for barley, quinoa, buckwheat and beans. so now it is portioned out, you just add the liquid needed. the next thing I want to make is a solar dehydrator, mostly to dry tomatoes next summer, and onions and herbs. There is a plan on building one that looks pretty good to me in an old book I have. " A Sun Bear Book the Bear Tribe's Self-Reliance Book" It has a lot of good information in it. I'm thinking that just having jerky, beans, rice, tomatoes etc. you can make some tasty and nutritious food, and not have cans etc., easy to transport if you need to. and certainly great to bring camping. that's my 2 cents at the moment.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lisalu For This Post:

Miller (11th December 2011), Samsara (11th December 2011), Selene (6th March 2012)

34. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

I've been working on this project for over 4 years now.

The biggest aspect we are working on is development of a sustainable land base far away from the hoards of folks who will be stalking food if the SHTF. Some of our neighbors are doing sustainablitly development and food storage also. Actually working on sustainablility is probably more promenent here.

Our new house which we plan to move into next fall will provide us with a fruit room (root cellar) and a large sun room that will help to heat the house as well as be a place to start seedlings and a place to grow greens in the winter.

Water is not much of an issue here. We have a well and last year I put a hand pump on it so if the electric goes out we won't be high and dry.
    This is really critical for anyone who has a well.. It cost us 450 to add this to the well.
    Containers is really something to consider. If you cant hold it you dont get to keep it for very long so we have a number of water containers... I think these well be a good trade item, we loan the water containers to neighbors and fill them with water for them and they provide trade for us for water, most likely in the form of some kind of labor... I have also made sure that I have adequate food storage containers of a large variety.. for instance, if you grow potatoes, a food which can store over the winter, what are you going to put them in? You must have some kind of container or bag for everything.

Although we don't store gas I do store bottles of preservative for gas, so if I think things are getting bad I fill 5 gallon containers of gas and preserve it.. which should be good for about 6 months. Certainly not a long term solution but better than nothing. Its primary use would be for gathering wood and using the chain saw... meanwhile I am working on planting a wood lot... yea, for future generations... but if the SHTF I think there is a strong possibility that my grown kids will end up here.

this spring the green house will start in construction. Critical for growing food in our neck of the woods.

I have also stock piled hoses and repair kits for hoses. If I cant get the water from the well to the garden and the animals the whole thing goes down.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Carolin (11th December 2011), lisalu (11th December 2011), Miller (11th December 2011), Samsara (11th December 2011), Selene (6th March 2012)

36. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,543 times in 2,615 posts

Quote Posted by Carolin (here)
    Yes, my fondue sets use sterno. The chocolate fondue sets use tea lights which would warm up some soup or beans nicely.
    look into solar ovens and rocket stoves. How long do you think your sterno and tea lights will last?
    Storing propane is a consideration and if it is only used for cooking ,200 gallons will last almost 4 years, thats using about 8 gallons a month.
    While camping in our camper 7 to 8 gallons a mont will cook, run the propane frige and heat a little also. .. watch the heating though. Its a huge user. Other options for heat should be developed.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arrowwind For This Post:

Miller (11th December 2011), Selene (6th March 2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast