Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst 1 9 19 59 63 LastLast

Thread: The UK Brexit vote to leave the EU

1. Link to Post #161
    United States Avalon Member WildOrchid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 times in 218 posts

Default Re: The UK Brexit vote to leave the EU

Quote Dear Somerset Man,

I must admit I wasn't taken by your enthusiasm for Brexit, but I do like your sense of humour. Hopefully, in your disillusionment with Brexit, you might become one of the Bregreters...

BTW, I lived in Bristol for 3 years and I like Somerset Cider!
    Longjohn:
    Do you feel Britain should stay in the EU, and could you elaborate why?
    Artist - Lover of Life - Seeker of Truth

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WildOrchid For This Post:

Cidersomerset (26th June 2016), raff (26th June 2016)

3. Link to Post #162
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,974 times in 5,003 posts

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    Petition for UK Brexit revote hits three million signatures in just two days
    The difference between a referendum and an online petition is that with a referendum a specific electorate gets one vote per person, but an online petition is totally uncontrollable. The more 'petitioners' sign up, the less likely they are all different legitimate voters. Has anyone checked how many different IP addresses have been used? And if they have, does it actually mean anything? Etc.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Cidersomerset (26th June 2016), raff (27th June 2016), Sunny-side-up (26th June 2016)

5. Link to Post #163
    United States Avalon Member WildOrchid's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 times in 218 posts

Seems quite fitting....
    Artist - Lover of Life - Seeker of Truth

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WildOrchid For This Post:

Cidersomerset (26th June 2016), raff (26th June 2016), sheme (26th June 2016)

7. Link to Post #164
    Thanks
    Thanked 79,632 times in 18,693 posts

Plenty of BS going on in the void after the vote .....For me there would
    have to be a genuine petition with over 17 and half million votes for
    it to be considered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3Million+ ‘Remain’ Petition Uses ‘Script’ To ‘Fake’ Signatures: 25,000 From North Korea, 2,800 From Uninhabitable Antarctic

By David on 26 June 2016 GMT Political Manipulation

‘Questions are being raised as to the true number of UK citizens signing a petition to urge another
    European Union membership referendum as evidence emerged that activists are encouraging foreign
    signatories. Some critics claim that a “bot” or “script” is being used to automatically generate names
    and signatories.

As of early Sunday afternoon, over 3.1 million signatures had been registered on the petition named:
    “EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum” which calls for the “Government to implement
    a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be
    another referendum.”

But an analysis of the data on the petition shows that at least 6 per cent of the signatories, or nearly
    200,000 are from foreign countries. While foreign-based UK nationals are allowed to sign UK petitions,
    some believe that many of these are fraudulent given that Remain activists are handing out post codes
    online in order to elicit more signatures from abroad.’

Read more: 3Million+ ‘Remain’ Petition Uses ‘Script’ To ‘Fake’ Signatures: 25,000 From North Korea,
    2,800 From Uninhabitable Antarctic

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...n-signatories/

====================================================

Petition For A Second EU Referendum Under Investigation By Westminster For Fraud

By David on 26 June 2016 GMT Political Manipulation

petition-683520It has now emerged that the House of Commons Petitions Committee is investigating the petition over allegations of fraud.

The committee has confirmed it has removed 77,000 signatures already which were fraudulently added.

39,000 signatures were from the Vatican City which has a population of only 800 and 23,000 from North Korea.

Read more: Petition For A Second EU Referendum Under Investigation By Westminster For Fraud

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0d2571149c95e

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

161803398 (27th June 2016), raff (26th June 2016), seko (26th June 2016)

9. Link to Post #165
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

Quote "Plenty of BS going on in the void after the vote .....For me there would
    have to be a genuine petition with over 17 and half million votes for
    it to be considered."

I would not even consider it if there were 32 million votes- what are you thinking of my friend the vote has passed and decided- America will have to go whistle- the majority of the British people are awake and say no to EU/US rule. Guess that we are not as dumb as they think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgJV...Y#t=503.898583

Like this man states these hard won freedoms were never ours to throw away.
    Last edited by sheme; 26th June 2016 at 20:21.

10. Link to Post #166
    Thanks

Although most of the show was 'waffle' as I said on previous page, the opening
    segment is interesting.....

Published on 26 Jun 2016
    First BBC Marr Show since Brexit.

All the talk about the country being divided is not a bad as the press would
    make you believe imo.....

The discussion is about the 52% leave 48% stay vote there were still a lot
    of no voters. So 17 410 742 & 16 141 241 = 33 551 983 total voters.

So 12 947 554 million eligible to vote did not , though there are usually
    some spoilt ballot papers in most elections.Just to put it in perspective that
    when they say the country is split because the vote was so close, may not
    necessarily be true....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The future of the UK’s position in Europe is in the hands of a record electorate of
    46,499,537, according to provisional figures published on Tuesday by the Electoral
    Commission.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-eu-referendum
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 26th June 2016 at 21:37.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

raff (26th June 2016), sheme (26th June 2016)

12. Link to Post #167
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,612 times in 1,245 posts

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bre...share_facebook

Now that Britain has done the unthinkable and voted to leave the European Union, the critics are ruthless in their condemnation of Prime Minister David Cameron for his “irresponsible act” in calling the referendum in the first place.

As if it were his fault.

As if he was responsible for the bloated Brussels bureaucracy and undemocratic governance structure in the EU.

As if he were to blame for the domination of an unequal union by a German chancellor responsive and accountable only to her own domestic political concerns.

Investors had better get used to a lot of volatility because Brexit is just the beginning
    Yes, Cameron will step down, as political accountability in a parliamentary system demands. He miscalculated and lost big time, staking his political future on a Remain vote.

It was Martin Wolf, the prestigious columnist for the Financial Times, who last month labeled the referendum on a British exit from the EU — widely known as Brexit – as “the most irresponsible act by a British government in my lifetime.”

The nerve of the leader of one of the world’s oldest democracies to actually let the voting public decide the future of the nation.

Cameron surely would have been much smarter to follow the lead of the political elites in other countries and to ignore the rising hostility to a union that seems to be stifling progress rather than increasing prosperity for all.

Instead, he committed the unforgivable sin of allowing democracy to function, a debate to be held, and voters to choose.

In doing so, Cameron has opened a Pandora’s box of insurgency against the political elite in Europe.

01:59 / 06:44
    Four Forces Shaping the Future of Europe(6:44)
    The United Kingdom has become the first country to vote to leave the modern European Union, but the debate over Europe and the Union is far from over. WSJ's Niki Blasina explains four forces that will determine the future of the EU.

The British vote in favor of leaving the EU will embolden euroskeptic forces in other European countries to demand their own referendums or to win sufficient support in their parliaments to break with Brussels if it cannot implement fundamental reforms.

If it had not been Cameron in Britain, it would have been another leader in another country, because the forces hostile to Europe were going to blow the lid off that box sooner or later.

Another hoary establishment mouthpiece, the New York Times, joined the chorus of criticism this week, proclaiming in a headline that with the referendum, Cameron “faces problem of his own making.”

Could it not just as easily read that Brussels faces a problem of its own making? That German Chancellor Angela Merkel faces a problem of her own making?

Financial markets are throwing a colossal tantrum because investment banks and other big market players placed their Brexit bets wrong.

But investors had better get used to a lot of volatility because Brexit is just the beginning.

A restless, beaten-down public has drawn the first blood in a rebellion against a neoliberal economic orthodoxy committed to globalization that has sucked the life out of whole communities and blighted the future of a generation.

Spanish voters will go the polls Sunday in an attempt to correct December’s indecisive national elections, splitting support among four parties unable to agree on a governing coalition. The insurgent left-wing party Podemos may gain added momentum from the Brexit victory.

Read: Paralyzed Spain heads for election rerun this weekend: 5 things to know

Marine Le Pen, leader of the right-wing French National Front, is already hailing the Brexit vote as a model for how voters can reclaim their “liberty,” as she gears up for France’s presidential election next year.

In Italy, the populist Five Star Movement, fresh from its victories in the mayoral contests in Rome and Turin, will continue its campaign to undermine the center-left government of Prime Minister Matteo Renzi.

In the Netherlands, Austria, Denmark, and even Germany, right-wing euroskeptic parties are winning support and gaining momentum.

Nor is the anti-establishment rebellion confined to Europe. In the U.S., the insurgent campaigns of Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders have resonated with profoundly dissatisfied voters who feel they are getting shafted by a “rigged” economic system.

Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, is the only establishment politician left standing in the race for the White House and there is no guarantee that she will prevail in November.

Read: Globalization loses in Brexit vote, but it’s not the end of the world

Brexit may be the thread that ultimately unravels the cozy system that enriches a few while leaving the multitude to scrape by, but when the emperor stands there with no clothes, it won’t be just Britain that feels the impact.

And you can’t blame David Cameron for all that.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 161803398 For This Post:

Cidersomerset (26th June 2016), Ewan (27th June 2016), norman (27th June 2016), raff (26th June 2016), sheme (26th June 2016)

14. Link to Post #168
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

Question Re: The UK Brexit vote to leave the EU

Yes ...

"Don't blame Prime Minister David Cameron for his “irresponsible act” in calling the referendum in the first place" ...

One should not give him too much credit ... As for election results - do you really trust them ?

For me there's obviously something more purposefully sinister going on here ?

there are no coincidences folks ... giggle

The Windmills of Your Mind - Noel Harrison

Last edited by giovonni; 26th June 2016 at 21:46. Reason: add video

15. Link to Post #169
    Sweden Avalon Member
    Thanks

EXCLUSIVE: Brexit ‘2nd Referendum Petition’ A 4 Chan Prank: BBC Report It As Real
    http://heatst.com/uk/exclusive-brexi...rt-it-as-real/

It follows a formal inquiry launched less than three hours earlier, amid claims some of the more than three million signatures it has gained since Friday may be fraudulent.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...medium=twitter

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valle For This Post:

Cidersomerset (26th June 2016), KiwiElf (27th June 2016), raff (26th June 2016)

17. Link to Post #170
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Cidersomerset (here)
    The committee has confirmed it has removed 77,000 signatures already which were fraudulently added.

39,000 signatures were from the Vatican City which has a population of only 800 and 23,000 from North Korea.

Read more: Petition For A Second EU Referendum Under Investigation By Westminster For Fraud

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0d2571149c95e
    There is at least one legitimate vote in this petition - mine! I have a British passport and home address in the UK.

Cheers, John

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Longjohn For This Post:

Cidersomerset (26th June 2016)

19. Link to Post #171
    Thanks

Quote There is at least one legitimate vote in this petition - mine! I have a British passport and home address in the UK.

Cheers, John
    I'm sure you are not alone and frustrated, but it is the shake up politics needs imo...

It has rejuvenated the youth vote starting with the...

ONE SOCK OR TWO SOCK DEBATE....

Last edited by Cidersomerset; 26th June 2016 at 23:38.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

161803398 (27th June 2016), Longjohn (26th June 2016), raff (26th June 2016), sheme (26th June 2016), Wind (27th June 2016)

21. Link to Post #172
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

[QUOTE=WildOrchid;1077478]
    Longjohn:
    Do you feel Britain should stay in the EU, and could you elaborate why?
    Dear WildOrchid,

If it's OK for you, I will reply to this tomorrow. It's midnight here. Throughout this thread, I've made several comments in both my own posts and responses to other posts.

In the meantime, I wish you a good night!

John

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Longjohn For This Post:

WildOrchid (27th June 2016)

23. Link to Post #173
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote There is at least one legitimate vote in this petition - mine! I have a British passport and home address in the UK.

Cheers, John
    I'm sure you are not alone and frustrated, but it is the shake up politics needs imo...

It has rejuvenated the youth vote starting with the...

ONE SOCK OR TWO DEBATE....

-----------------------------------

Dear Cider,

Are these two guys called Boris and David, by any chance?

In the final referendum vote, I believe 75% of the youngsters voted 'Remain' because they cared about their futures, but were effectively disenfranchised by the owd buggers who overwhelmingly (and selfishly?) voted 'Out'.

A good night to you, my friend.

John
    Last edited by Longjohn; 26th June 2016 at 22:58.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Longjohn For This Post:

Cidersomerset (26th June 2016)

25. Link to Post #174
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 times in 376 posts

Greetings.... I found this article to sum things up. Spot on most likely.

THE DECISION BY U.K. voters to leave the EU is such a glaring repudiation of the wisdom and relevance of elite political and media institutions that — for once — their failures have become a prominent part of the storyline. Media reaction to the Brexit vote falls into two general categories: (1) earnest, candid attempts to understand what motivated voters to make this choice, even if that means indicting one’s own establishment circles, and (2) petulant, self-serving, simple-minded attacks on disobedient pro-leave voters for being primitive, xenophobic bigots (and stupid to boot), all to evade any reckoning with their own responsibility. Virtually every reaction that falls into the former category emphasizes the profound failures of Western establishment factions; these institutions have spawned pervasive misery and inequality, only to spew condescending scorn at their victims when they object.

IN SUM, THE West’s establishment credibility is dying, and their influence is precipitously eroding — all deservedly so. The frenetic pace of online media makes even the most recent events feel distant, like ancient history. That, in turn, makes it easy to lose sight of how many catastrophic and devastating failures Western elites have produced in a remarkably short period of time.

In 2003, U.S. and British elites joined together to advocate one of the most heinous and immoral aggressive wars in decades: the destruction of Iraq; that it turned out to be centrally based on falsehoods that were ratified by theo most trusted institutions, as well as a complete policy failure even on its own terms, gutted public trust.

Corrupt elites always try to persuade people to continue to submit to their dominance in exchange for protection from forces that are even worse. That’s their game. But at some point, they themselves, and their prevailing order, become so destructive, so deceitful, so toxic, that their victims are willing to gamble that the alternatives will not be worse, or at least, they decide to embrace the satisfaction of spitting in the faces of those who have displayed nothing but contempt and condescension for them.

Full article here...

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/25/...-institutions/
    Last edited by aviators; 27th June 2016 at 02:51.

26. Link to Post #175
    Thanks

I dont understand why anyone in the UK would want to have faceless bureaucrats making decisions for them. I have little trust in politicians anyway (and no trust in Bureaucrats) so how is it that people would want this set up in exchange for being able to travel without a passport, particularly when some of the EU's regulations sound to me to be, at the best, slightly nuts. I don't get it. Also, Europe except Germany has been in an awful mess financially almost since there has been an EU, so what is the deal?

In the meanwhile, the US and Nato are waging war all over the place and this is okay? But, reading the British online chat over the weekend it appears that many people in England were primarily freaked out about the accusation of being "racist" when it's obvious that, while there are normally racist types in any country, England is generally very egalitarian. They were also dying of "shame" because of what the rest of the world thought, when in fact, anyone I know in Canada is saying good for them. I personally think that Brexit may have saved us all...for a time anyway. I just don't get what is going on here.

Also, only one person mentioned the trade agreement saying that if they left the EU they might have it shoved up their collective derrieres. While I think the opposite could be true, that was the only argument from anyone that I heard that had any importance whatsoever. The rest was a lot of crying about people think they were stupid or racist. WTflyingfox is happening over there? This is not the England I know. Its almost like they have been in a relationship with an abusive spouse.

I haven't been there for a while. I remember witty, self-confident but polite people.
    Last edited by 161803398; 27th June 2016 at 07:34.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 161803398 For This Post:

Cidersomerset (27th June 2016)

28. Link to Post #176
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,983 times in 1,749 posts

Hooray, I am so relieved that Brexit was successful - for a moment there I thought the globalist bureaucrats would prevail and the tyranny and authoritarianism further embed into the U.K. Now there is a chance that ordinary people are in fact waking up and have had enough of being told they need to feel guilt for the colonial past and atone by allowing the hordes of resentful immigrants into the country and disrespect the culture, flip the bird at Anglo-Saxon-Celtic culture.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, this is a victory for all liberty loving people.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Gorman For This Post:

161803398 (27th June 2016), Cidersomerset (27th June 2016), sheme (27th June 2016)

30. Link to Post #177
    Thanks

"Hooray, I am so relieved that Brexit was successful - for a moment there I thought the globalist bureaucrats would prevail and the tyranny and authoritarianism further embed into the U.K. Now there is a chance that ordinary people are in fact waking up and have had enough of being told they need to feel guilt for the colonial past and atone by allowing the hordes of resentful immigrants into the country and disrespect the culture, flip the bird at Anglo-Saxon-Celtic culture.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, this is a victory for all liberty loving people."

I'm so glad you said that. I was feeling almost traumatized by reading all that Brexit conversation this weekend.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 161803398 For This Post:

Cidersomerset (27th June 2016), raff (27th June 2016)

32. Link to Post #178
    Thanks

Chancellor George 'OZZY ' Osborne has changed his tune........
    No emergency budget , infact we can face the world from
    a position of strength. The political rhetoric or BS is changing....

Osborne: UK in a position of strength

37 minutes ago

George Osborne: "We are equipped for whatever happens"

George Osborne has said the UK is ready to face the future "from a position
    of strength" and indicated there will be no immediate emergency Budget.

He said there would still need to be an "adjustment" in the UK economy.

However, it was "perfectly sensible to wait for a new prime minister" before
    taking any such action.

He also said that only the UK could begin the process of leaving the EU by
    triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36637732
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 27th June 2016 at 08:42.

33. Link to Post #179
    Thanks

Brexit Establishment losers - who saw their arrogance punctured by The People - conspire to block EU exit

By David on 27 June 2016 GMT Political Manipulation

The Brexit vote was a massive statement against the political class made up of all parties
    who think they can run countries like their personal fiefdom. To them, the general population
    are only there to serve their interests and that of The System they serve and worship. Nicola
    Sturgeon, Tony Blair, Michael Heseltine – different party labels but exactly the same mentality.

The People said no to them and now in a terrible-twos response they plan to do everything
    they can to block the stated will of those who voted to leave the tyrannical EU.

As I said when the vote was announced – this is only the start.

Stay Strong

Read here …

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...voted-for.html

===============================================================
    ===============================================================

Haaretz Confirms: Britain Has Been Operating As An Israeli Puppet Within The EU

By David on 27 June 2016 GMT Political Manipulation

‘“With Brexit, Israel Loses a Major Asset in the European Union,” Haaretz reports today.

“Britain helped moderate and balance EU decisions about the peace process, blunt criticism
    and even harness the member states against anti-Israel moves at the UN; voices sympathetic
    to the Palestinian cause could now become more dominant.”

The Israelis have started to recognize that the Jewish State: “has lost a significant asset in
    the European Union…, Britain leaving would not serve Israeli interests, especially on the
    Palestinian issue.”’

Read more: Haaretz Confirms: Britain Has Been Operating As An Israeli Puppet
    Within The EU

Read More...
    http://www.gilad.co.uk/writings/2016...-within-the-eu
    Last edited by Cidersomerset; 27th June 2016 at 08:52.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cidersomerset For This Post:

161803398 (27th June 2016), Akasha (29th June 2016), raff (27th June 2016), sheme (27th June 2016)

35. Link to Post #180
    Australia Avalon Member bluestflame's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,500 times in 1,808 posts

https://theinternationalreporter.org...-wasnt-russia/ sorta related , lot of back and forward going on , uk daily mail carried a storry with allegations this bloke supposedly made about putin

Quote Paul Barril
    A former French official who has had senior roles in internal security and terror fighting has come forward with a remarkable statement: that he has documentary evidence proving that Alexander Litvinenko, the Russian spy who died from polonium poisoning, was killed by US and UK special services.

In a lengthy interview which is soon to be published, he goes further, saying that Litvinenko’s murder was a special sevices operation designed to defame Russia and Vladimir Putin, that the notorious Russian oligarch Boris Berezovsky was involved, and was himself killed by MI6 when he became a liability. He even says he knows the code name of the operation: “Beluga”.
    seems a big campaign to tarnish credibility of putin

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluestflame For This Post:

Cidersomerset (27th June 2016), raff (27th June 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst 1 9 19 59 63 LastLast