+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Homesteading/ getting started / costs

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member bluekungfoo's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Homesteading/ getting started / costs

So my dream is to one day get out of Florida and make a permanent move to Alaska.

An to become a homesteader , the question I have is, how does a person get started ?

Finding appropriate land is one thing, then sometimes are incentives from the government so how does one find those sorts of things, I am vaguely familiar with benefits that the state of Alaska offers to residents for basic living. I have tried searching the Alaska gov website and finding information that is relevant is mind numbing. What would be a realistic price on making such a move ? An would it be cheaper to build ones own lodging versus buying property with a home already built on it. I imagine one has to research extensively to some degree comparing things....

Lastly is homesteading still legal in Alaska, and where does one even go to apply to do such a thing, and does one still owe some sort of property tax to the state even if living off the grid ?

I am at the point in life where I need to move out of the city, due to ptsd, stress, etc, and even in a relative small city, the anxiety that comes from just having to listen to basic automobile traffic becomes to much to handle sometimes. An I can see how being in the country with the ability to go into a city when needed would really better me on so many levels.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bluekungfoo For This Post:

ElfeMya (1st July 2016), Heavy Duty (24th June 2016), Iloveyou (24th June 2016), palehorse (12th November 2021), pleitecas (27th February 2018), thunder24 (24th June 2016), william r sanford72 (25th June 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member mojo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,413 times in 5,643 posts

Default Re: Homesteading/ getting started / costs

edit....................
    Last edited by mojo; 29th June 2016 at 16:51.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mojo For This Post:

ElfeMya (1st July 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member bluekungfoo's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Homesteading/ getting started / costs

well just an update on what I found, on the term homesteading, most still know it as wild land that one can set up on an claim as theirs, that term now means a completely different thing in terms of real estate.

What people can find is land owned by the government that is not wanted by the government or needed , and can be purchased at fair market value. If not cheap. The only thing is one has to investigate to make sure one has an access road to an from said property and other common sense things.

A real estate agent is the best option in finding land in general.

Less you prefer to be homeless, and really want to rough it, then have at it, and then don't be surprised if a BLM agent or forest ranger happens upon your camp and off ya go.

I have been learning about water collection systems that range in price ,and are mainly non potable source of water, for washing clothing, an etc. Filtered systems for potable water is pricey and really not practical unless you have money to invest and are in it for the long haul.

for those interested an old way to filter water for consumption, just look up rain barrels , the jist is it is layered with a particular sand, gravel, and some specific kind of charcoal , figure all that out, plop it in the barrel , top it off with a simple cloth on top to keep leaves and what not out, add a spout at the bottom , and done.

this is all I am adding here, just incase anyone stumbles up on this , now you have more information than I did when looking into this and it might save ya the hour or so I spent looking up homesteading on line.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluekungfoo For This Post:

ElfeMya (1st July 2016), Lbow76 (4th December 2019), pleitecas (27th February 2018)

+ Reply to Thread