+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is college worth it?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Question Is college worth it?

I've been in college for about 3 years now and I'm seriously starting to consider leaving it all behind. I can't see any benefits of it that I cannot derive through my own diligence and resources. With the internet and countless books available, why should I have to dedicate a large of amount of the time of my life to something that has not shown any evidence of progress to growth or improvement in my life? Luckily, I receive financial aid from the institution itself, which covers all expenses, but it makes me wonder if I'm actually just going for the money. Starting to second guess if I'm living my own life anymore, or just going through the motions. My perspective of college is they most put students into debt and promise them a nonexistent job at the end of it all, then reward them with a piece of paper that validates their existence as a worthy member of society , then leaves them to their own devices to find a job that potentially has nothing to do with their degree. Seems like a big scam to me. In the past year I have been questioning everything society has been conditioned to believe as necessary, and the illusion of college is starting to dissolve before my eyes. Anyone have any thoughts on the system of college education?

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to AwakenedWarrior For This Post:

avid (18th August 2016), Bill Ryan (19th August 2016), BMJ (19th August 2016), Ernie Nemeth (18th August 2016), Fanna (18th August 2016), ghostrider (18th August 2016), giovonni (18th August 2016), Innocent Warrior (18th August 2016), Ioneo (18th August 2016), jjjones (19th August 2016), joeecho (18th August 2016), Mozart (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), TargeT (18th August 2016)

3. Link to Post #2
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

Default Re: Is college worth it?

I would learn to code. Check out Codepen + W3 schools. If you study hard, you can get a job in about a year, 18 months max.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

AwakenedWarrior (19th August 2016), Chester (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

That's a really good idea. There will always be a necessity for websites.

6. Link to Post #4
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Sierra passed in April 2021.
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,462 times in 5,424 posts

I would consider getting the degree, maybe shifting your major to the sciences, a computer degree if that is where your interest lies.

Yes, it is a scam, and yes, American colleges are in it for the money now, but refusing an already paid for degree is only closing doors that would otherwise be open to you (perhaps on an international scale). (And yes, Daozen is right, lol, I made a good living from a computer school degree.)

Good luck, whatever you choose to do.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sierra For This Post:

AwakenedWarrior (19th August 2016), Chester (19th August 2016), Ernie Nemeth (18th August 2016), joeecho (18th August 2016), KiwiElf (18th August 2016), Matthew (18th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

unless you have a very specific goal that requires a degree (doctor, lawyer etc..) I would avoid school and self educate.

I am where I am via self education in the "computer" realm... You need to be self motivated though.

I'm about 30 credits from a degree; don't regret not having one at all so far... but I work in a field that looks for performance, not irrelevant pieces of paper.
    Last edited by TargeT; 18th August 2016 at 18:42.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

avid (18th August 2016), AwakenedWarrior (19th August 2016), Chester (19th August 2016), conk (23rd August 2016), Ernie Nemeth (18th August 2016), joeecho (18th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), Sierra (18th August 2016)

10. Link to Post #6
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

As an ex Uni lecturer, I'll back up what Sierra, TargeT & Daozen stated (and one of the primary reasons I got out of teaching - I was having a "conflict of interest" with my beliefs, ethics and the "system"). - As much as I love teaching, I'd never go back to it.

Unfortunately, you can't get much these days without a degree, so learn & do the best you can (the best learning you can ever do is often "self-taught" - and always think outside the box)

11. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Fanna's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 times in 329 posts

I was on your boat years ago. I almost quit a dozen times. Part of me wishes I did, but the vast majority of me believes that there are no accidents. You went there for a reason and you are accepting those gifts every day even if you do not even realize they are gifts yet.

Lets face it, schools are a business primarily and are there to educate as a secondary endeavour. However, just because something is evil does not mean it cannot be gained from. Look at YouTube, it is evil as all hell and I can still hop on and learn something amazing from it any day of the week.

I ended up getting a masters in math and education and will do very little with that piece of paper outside of comforting people that I actually know what I am talking about (something that is insanely difficult being under 30). I encourage you to suck it up for a year and get that if you believe it will help you. I also encourage you to suck it up and rise like a phoenix out of the ashes of that school and show me the world you want to see. The paper doesn't matter. The knowledge does. The only thing that matters is life. Save it.

There are no disappointments, there are no failures, there are only transformative experiences. I do not know about you, but all of this talk about seismic activity has me in utter desire to let that quake take over my soul and move this Earth back into a state of well being. I cannot do that if I am slave to a system.

Take note as well that there is also something pure goddamn evil floating through the air right now and everyone I know is either low energy or ready to kill everything. Listen fully to your heart and realize that doubts are often modesty in disguise.

I know this has been back and forth, but it is a back and forth issue. I do not want to give you an answer one way or another, but simply tell you what really matters. The only thing that matters is spiritual action and the revival of our mother Gaia in our glorious new cycle.
    Last edited by Fanna; 18th August 2016 at 18:49. Reason: grammar nazi bf
    ♪ ~Blessed are the Cracked~ ♪
    ♪ ~For they let in the Light~ ♪

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fanna For This Post:

AwakenedWarrior (19th August 2016), Daozen (18th August 2016), Ernie Nemeth (18th August 2016), giovonni (18th August 2016), joeecho (18th August 2016), KiwiElf (18th August 2016), Mozart (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), sheme (18th August 2016), Sierra (18th August 2016)

13. Link to Post #8
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

If you have to leave early, do it smoothly. It's called intercalation in the UK. You sign out after finishing a year, and can go back whenever. If you're getting fees paid, there may be issues. As Sierra says, shifting a major, or even a minor might be of use. If you managed to squeeze even one web design or programming minor onto your syllabus, you could funnel all your other skills and ideas into that.

If it's only one more year, and it's not costing you anything, maybe it's best to continue. On the other hand, if it will cost you 10-20,000USD... that money is better spent elsewhere. I just paid five USD for a 2 hour course on app development from Zenva. And you can find teachers on Freelancer for 5-15USD per hour.
    Last edited by Daozen; 18th August 2016 at 19:02.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

AwakenedWarrior (19th August 2016), joeecho (18th August 2016), Matthew (18th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), Sierra (18th August 2016)

15. Link to Post #9
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

Orienteering, self sufficiency growing/processing food, building a shelters, best skills for you to learn right now- oh and how to encourage people to survive the coming Earth changes I am just waiting for the dust to start falling. Follow your intuition and forget the tuition.

16. Link to Post #10
    Argentina Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,523 times in 661 posts

I reckon it used to be back in the day when I went in the Nineties, but for millennials not so much now for what I hear from them.

I still owe 2000 bucks from my credit loan.

17. Link to Post #11
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 93,628 times in 20,439 posts

After three years ...

Finish what you started.

University taught me how to deal with the system.

18. Link to Post #12
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,293 times in 2,822 posts

There are variables involved so the answer will vary.

A few:

1) Supply and demand.
    2) The level of commitment to excel at your chosen profession.
    3) Communication skills
    4) Willingness to relocate
    5) Social networking

Some ideas that helped me before and after college.

May success in this endeavor be yours,

Joe
    Last edited by joeecho; 18th August 2016 at 20:14.

19. Link to Post #13
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

My eighteen year old son was looking over my shoulder as I read this and he felt compelled to reply so this next bit is from him, don't get too bogged down with all the rules we have to follow, there's always a gem somewhere even if it doesn't feel like it at the time...good luck and trust you're in the right place at the right time...

Hi Warrior, I've just finished a two year stint at college studying music, I had exactly the same thoughts as you, was I doing it because everyone was? Was the piece of paper really worth it? Was I actually learning anything? After thinking about this for two and a half years (while studying at college) It suddenly dawned that what I actually had gained from all that time and "effort" wasn't a piece of paper, or a grade to end up in the great book of college statistics. I had developed so much as a person and gained so much more than knowledge, I now have a list of fantastic people I can call my friends, a new band which never would have existed and a great deal more experience in dealing with people. The education system is a load of bollocks when it comes down to it... however. As a result you can play it for the ****ty system it is, and that makes it all the more bearable. As for learning things outside of it (using the internet and your noggin) there is a great deal that can be achieved outside of it, I now work as a mechanic. Without any input from the education system, you can do and be what you want without a piece of paper, but there's a much bigger part to it than the mundane tests and rules, even if you don't end up with a grade!

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kookie For This Post:

AwakenedWarrior (19th August 2016), Daozen (19th August 2016), KiwiElf (19th August 2016), Mozart (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), Sierra (18th August 2016)

21. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,112 times in 2,424 posts

Devote your time to learning and then becoming excellent at a trade. Colleges and universities are limited hangouts, and often very expensive ones at that.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

AwakenedWarrior (19th August 2016), Daozen (19th August 2016), KiwiElf (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), Sierra (18th August 2016), TargeT (18th August 2016)

23. Link to Post #15
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,662 times in 8,694 posts

its also pretty fair to keep in mind that nearly every college (in the USA) will be staffed by leftist info-gatekeepers & your education & many social interactions will be skewed in that direction.... I went to a charter school where this was *mostly* absent, but not totally.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

AwakenedWarrior (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016)

25. Link to Post #16
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Aye. The CIA are deeply entrenched in academia. Look at what Google called their new company...

Some call compromised profs 'spotters'.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

KiwiElf (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016)

27. Link to Post #17
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 times in 1,357 posts

In this thread I opened a discussion on the topic of "the voice within", I do think I touched on a very important subject.

In my experience so far, the less I have listened to the voice within, the more painful it has been.

Overall I think that in many situations when you feel you want to make a decision towards a change, these situations might be brain processing intensive when at the same time the inner emotion is perfectly still and clear about what it wants in the given situation. I think that when you learn to still the brain and go in the direction of your peaceful emotion within about what is best, then that is optimal. There are so many external and internal expectations on what your choices must be in various situations, that all of that does not make any sense - it is an auto pilot.

Some time ago someone asked me why I did not attend a particular meeting. The fact was that I did not attend that meeting for any logical reason at all. The only reason I did not attend the meeting was because my inner voice said it did not want to attend the meeting, it did not tell me why, only that it did not want to attend.

So when I was asked the question why I did not attend the meeting, it was like being asked a question that was impossible to answer.

I found that moment inspiring, realizing that here two persons were thinking about the same thing, needing the logical explanation for not having attended a meeting, and none of us had the answer.

I realized that choice was perfectly valid and something I felt good about, I never knew why I made the choice, yet it was still a great choice.

To me this highlighted an important fact. When the inner voice wants to honestly go in a certain direction, that's good enough, you don't have to put a logical validation on top of that.

Once my inner voice wanted a motorcycle, it longed for it so much. So one day I took the day off and simply just went to a store to get the bike I had purchased. My inner voice loved all of it.

When I look back at all of the choices I have made so far, it is the choices originating from my inner voice that have been the best and it is the choices not originating from the inner voice that have given me pains.

So when you are now thinking is collage worth it? Maybe think like this: Don't answer, you don't need to have the right answer to the question, you don't need to have an answer at all to that question. Instead listen to your inner voice, what does it feel it wants? Go in that direction.

People do what they don't want to do and what they want to do, that they don't do.
    Last edited by WhiteLove; 18th August 2016 at 21:21.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

AwakenedWarrior (19th August 2016), KiwiElf (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), Satori (19th August 2016)

29. Link to Post #18
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,968 times in 7,673 posts

All I can say is...

"School" education has nothing to do with intelligence.
    "When you've seen beyond yourself, then you may find, peace of mind is waiting there." ~ George Harrison

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Post:

AwakenedWarrior (19th August 2016), KiwiElf (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), WhiteLove (18th August 2016)

31. Link to Post #19
    Australia On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,555 times in 3,482 posts

If you want to go places in this world, within this system, then I would finish it. On the other hand, if you want nothing to do with it then it's a waste of time IMO.

Formal education is a pathetic state of affairs. I don't see it much different than being a freemason. Pay this much, sit there bored sh!tless for years and you can be a basic professional, you won't know a whole lot in your field but hey you're in, welcome to the club. After that you can pay more, waste more time, become more indoctrined, waste more money, know more and get paid more. The more you do the more important you are and the more you get paid. Yeah, not my cup of tea, I left in my final year when the mental straight jacket feeling became too much for me.

"Classes will dull your mind, destroy the potential for authentic creativity." is what I learned at uni.
    Never give up on your silly, silly dreams.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little BIGGER, darling.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Innocent Warrior For This Post:

AwakenedWarrior (19th August 2016), KiwiElf (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016), Sierra (18th August 2016), WhiteLove (18th August 2016), Wind (19th August 2016)

33. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,800 times in 6,634 posts

One of the points of college, is learning to finish what you start... finish your studies, you will be glad, its something no one can ever take from you, and you will be part of a small group of people who will bring hope to a generation in need of smarter young people...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

Fanna (19th August 2016), KiwiElf (19th August 2016), Nasu (19th August 2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast