Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5

Thread: The "Brave" Browser Created by Firefox Web Browser Creator Brendan Eich

1. Link to Post #81
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,354 times in 21,475 posts

Default Re: The "Brave" Browser Created by Firefox Web Browser Creator Brendan Eich

It seems that Brave Bitcoin payments are enabled now. I just deposited a few millibitcoin (mBTC) in a Brave Wallet to fund donations, to be spread amongst the sites I visit with Brave.

I then visited ProjectAvalon.net using Brave, and a few other sites. Those sites showed up as visited sites (on my Brave Settings ==> Payments screen), with an option on each site that I had visited to enable them in the monthly payout of the $5/month I was willing to pay, in total, over all the visited sites that I enabled.

Once enough of us do this and a total of $10 accumulates just for ProjectAvalon.net, then Bill will get an email, inviting him to verify that he's the owner of the site, so that he can collect the money each month that comes in, from Brave users visiting his site, who have funded monthly donations to be distributed amongst the sites they visit. There is a little more detail at https://brave.com/publishers.html
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th January 2017), Chip (30th December 2018), Daozen (18th December 2016), Ewan (18th December 2016), fourty-two (19th December 2016), Hervé (18th December 2016), meat suit (18th December 2016), norman (18th December 2016), Sierra (24th December 2016)

3. Link to Post #82
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Re: The "Brave" Browser Created by Firefox Web Browser Creator Brendan Eich

I have received the first Brave payments for ProjectAvalon.net, ProjectAvalonStatus.net and AvalonLibrary.net.

After subtracting my Amazon AWS S3 storage server costs (one cent per day <grin>) for AvalonLibrary.net from what I received, I have deposited the remainder in a Bitcoin Wallet that is earmarked for Bill, whenever it has enough to make it worth his picking up. I have now deposited 2.64 mBTC into Bill's wallet. One "mBTC" is one-thousandth of a Bitcoin, and worth about $US 0.80 on the market at present, so think of an mBTC is (roughly) a dollar.

Brave payments are just beginning to receive widespread exposure, so it's too early to know if this will develop into enough of an income stream to make a significant contribution to the monthly costs that Bill pays to keep this site going ... probably not, but worth a try.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th January 2017), Billy (3rd February 2017), Chip (30th December 2018), Ewan (13th January 2017), Hervé (13th January 2017), TomKat (26th June 2021)

5. Link to Post #83
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

It'll probably take 1-5 years for this to build up steam... If websites offered special features for Brave users, it could incentivize use.

It's definitely a revolutionary technology, but it needs adjusting.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th January 2017), Chip (30th December 2018), Hervé (13th January 2017), ThePythonicCow (13th January 2017)

7. Link to Post #84
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    It'll probably take 1-5 years for this to build up steam... If websites offered special features for Brave users, it could incentivize use.

It's definitely a revolutionary technology, but it needs adjusting.
    Yes - likely so

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th January 2017), Billy (3rd February 2017), Chip (30th December 2018), Daozen (13th January 2017), Hervé (13th January 2017)

9. Link to Post #85
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I have received the second Brave payment, this time for a whole month, for the websites ProjectAvalon.net, ProjectAvalonStatus.net and AvalonLibrary.net.

After subtracting out about two cents per day for Amazon AWS S3 storage fees, since Bill started providing more material on AvalonLibrary.net towards the end of January, I deposited another 6.00 mBTC into Bill's bitcoin wallet.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (3rd February 2017), Billy (3rd February 2017), Chip (30th December 2018), Ewan (3rd February 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th February 2017), Hervé (3rd February 2017), Omni (3rd February 2017), RunningDeer (3rd February 2017)

11. Link to Post #86
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,845 times in 2,378 posts

Finally got round to downloading this. Will try it out over the next few days.

The following is actually from Apr 7th 2016 but I found it interesting. (I wondered if the letter from the NAA was not so much about protecting advertisers but protecting tracking?)

Brave's Response to the NAA: A Better Deal for Publishers
    authorBraveSoftware
    April 7th, 2016

The NAA has sent a letter to Brave Software filled with false assertions, indicating that they have fundamentally misunderstood Brave. Here are a few misconceptions we’d like to clear up:

Brave is not, as the NAA asserts, “replac[ing] publishers' ads on the publishers' own websites and mobile applications with Brave's own advertising.” We do not tamper with any first-party publisher content, including native ads that do not use third-party tracking.

Brave is not trying to steal the “profits” from publishers as the NAA asserts. Here again, the NAA has fundamentally misconstrued what Brave does. Brave is building a better ad network with a bespoke browser tied anonymously to the network. We will actually pay the publishers more of the revenue shared through our system than most websites are getting now from third-party ads.

The letter falsely asserts that Brave will share an "unspecified percentage of revenue", when our revenue share split has been public and fixed from our first preview release in January.

We give the lion's share (pun intended) to websites. With our ad-share model, the default money flow directs up to 70% of ad revenue to site publishers – far greater than the average percentage in the current programmatic display ad ecosystem. Brave keeps 15%, and allows the end-user to choose whether to donate or keep their 15% share. Keeping their share still results in 55% ad rev share to site owners – beating the current average of 45%. Take a look at our Brave User Paths from Browsing to Ad Rev sharing:

The news industry is in catastrophic decline and has been for years. Brave has a model to change this dire trend by both funneling more ad revenue to publishers and allowing users to pay them directly:

Abusive, excessive, and even dangerous online advertising is driving users to adopt ad blockers en masse, and this is a trend that will not be reversed by legal threats, server-side anti-blocker countermeasures, or harsh language. We note that malware has been distributed on the websites of the New York Times and the BBC recently through the ill-designed, unregulated, and poorly-delegated third-party advertising technology ecosystem.

In sum, and contrary to the misstatements of the NAA letter, Brave is the solution, not the problem, for users and publishers. We provide speed, privacy, protection from malware, and a new, anonymous payment model that helps the whole industry and publishers in particular, compared to the status quo.

The privacy point is overlooked in the NAA’s attack on Brave and worth emphasizing. The violation of individual privacy has reached epidemic proportions. The news industry has been an active participant in violating individual readers’ privacy by benefitting from non-consensual third party tracking and ads. Here is the before vs. after Ghostery tracking graph for just one popular site:

News industry leaders rightly decry the violation of privacy inherent in some NSA or FBI tactics, yet their own complicity in tracking individuals to even more invasive degrees is not addressed.

Furthermore, the NAA's letter misconstrues how Web standards and browsers work by design: the Web is a system that allows users to consume content in any combination and presentation that user-chosen software can achieve. Browsers do not "republish", copy, serve, syndicate, or distribute content across the Internet or to any computer other than the one on which they run.

Browsers do not just play back recorded pixels from the publishers’ sites. Browsers are rather the end-user agent that mediates and combines all the pieces of content, including third-party ads and first-party publisher news stories. Web content is published as HTML markup documents with the express intent of not specifying how that content is actually presented to the browser user. Browsers are free to ignore, rearrange, mash-up and otherwise make use of any content from any source.

If it were the case that Brave's browsers perform "republication", then so too does Safari's Reader mode. The same goes for any browser with an ad-blocker extension installed, or the Links text-only browser, or screen readers for the visually impaired.

Make no mistake: this NAA letter is the first shot fired in a war on all ad-blockers, not just on Brave. Though the NAA never reached out to us before firing this shot, we would be happy to sit down with them for an opportunity to discuss how the Brave solution can be a win-win for our users and the publishers they browse. We will fight alongside all citizens of the Internet who deserve and demand a better deal than they are getting from today's increasingly abusive approach to Web advertising.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Billy (6th February 2017), Chip (30th December 2018), Hervé (6th February 2017), RunningDeer (6th February 2017)

13. Link to Post #87
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I have received the third Brave payment for the websites ProjectAvalon.net, ProjectAvalonStatus.net and AvalonLibrary.net.

After subtracting out charges for Amazon AWS S3 storage fees, I deposited another 8.00 mBTC into Bill's bitcoin wallet.

Note from Bill: Although no huge riches here (
    8 mBTC converts to exactly $9.64), I'm very grateful for the donation.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 10th March 2017 at 15:12.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th March 2017), Chester (2nd June 2017), Chip (30th December 2018), Foxie Loxie (10th March 2017), Hervé (10th March 2017), Omni (11th March 2017)

15. Link to Post #88
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Former Mozilla CEO’s ‘Brave’ Internet Browser Raises $35 Million in ‘Under 30 Seconds’

Brave, a privacy-focused and open-source browser, raised $35 million from its initial coin offering (ICO) in under 30 seconds this week, according to a report.

The free browser, which automatically blocks advertisements and tracking cookies, has been growing in popularity since its 2015 release and is currently in open beta.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

DeDukshyn (2nd June 2017), Hervé (2nd June 2017)

17. Link to Post #89
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Good to see Brendan Eich raised some money. I was worried the Brave team were going to run out of development funds. The crypto market is full of scammers + incompetents. When someone with a good rep -like Brendan- comes along, trust and money will flow to them. I hope BATs stay stable.

Avalon's monthly Brave payouts may increase after the ICO. I wouldn't be surprised if you collected 100USD per month in 1-2 years time.

Paul, did you sign up through the publishers portal? How long did it take?

18. Link to Post #90
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)
    Good to see Brendan Eich raised some money. I was worried the Brave team were going to run out of development funds. The crypto market is full of scammers + incompetents. When someone with a good rep -like Brendan- comes along, trust and money will flow to them. I hope BATs stay stable.

Avalon's monthly Brave payouts may increase after the ICO. I wouldn't be surprised if you collected 100USD per month in 1-2 years time.

Paul, did you sign up through the publishers portal? How long did it take?
    I don't recall how long it took ... but I was an "early adopter", so likely it's changed some since then anyway. It was some variant of "Know Your Customer" (KYC), which has you sharing such things as your last tax return.

I had not noticed that they had done an ICO ... good news ... thanks.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Daozen (3rd June 2017)

20. Link to Post #91
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks

Don't thank me, thank Sam Hunter. It's the best news I heard in a long while. Amazing how a team of 5-10 coders can generate 30 million dollars of value- with a year's work. Hopefully the sign up flow for Brave is easier now.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

ThePythonicCow (5th June 2017)

22. Link to Post #92
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,728 times in 1,343 posts

I have been using the BRAVE browser for several months now and really like it. It's so nice not to have to be plagued by ads that track one's browsing and slow down my computer.

Sears.com is the only website that I have found that BRAVE completely blocks. Accuweather.com tries to shame you for not viewing their ads. Very funny!

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrumanCash For This Post:

drneglector (31st December 2018), Hervé (17th July 2019), meeradas (30th December 2018), ThePythonicCow (31st December 2018)

24. Link to Post #93
    Finland Avalon Member muxfolder's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,851 times in 668 posts

Installed Brave couple of days ago and I think I may have found my new favorite browser. Everything seems to be working fine.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muxfolder For This Post:

Constance (17th July 2019), Hervé (17th July 2019)

26. Link to Post #94
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,390 times in 4,323 posts

Brave implementing IPFS protocol to create a decentralized web browser

Brave browser is looking to fundamentally alter the way we surf the internet.

Donovan Erskine
    January 19, 2021 12:35 PM

The internet has seen much evolution in its relatively short lifespan. A vast number of corporations work tirelessly to earn your precious screen time, with many of their behaviors setting off red flags in regards to user privacy. With distrust constantly rising, Brave is looking to create a more decentralized internet and is using the IPFS protocol to do so.

As first reported by The Verge, Brave will be implementing the IPFS protocol as it furthers its efforts to make a more private and transparent internet experience. Short for InterPlanetary File System, IPFS grabs information from a network of distributed nodes rather than a centralized server, like what we get from HTTP in most other web browsers. In addition to overall faster speeds, using the IPFS protocol could give users access to information previously unavailable.

“IPFS gives users a solution to the problem of centralized servers creating a central point of failure for content access,” said Brian Bondy, CTO of Brave in a recent statement.
    IPFS Project Lead Molly Mackinlay spoke to how the protocol can grant users access to more information.
    “Today, Web users across the world are unable to access restricted content, including, for example, parts of Wikipedia in Thailand, over 100,000 blocked websites in Turkey and critical access to COVID-19 information in China.”
    With the internet constantly evolving, it will be interesting to see what impact Brave’s implementation of the IPFS protocol will have on web browsing.

For more on the internet and the world of technology, stay right here on Shacknews.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

ClearWater (21st January 2021), gord (18th June 2021), leavesoftrees (21st January 2021), pueblo (20th January 2021)

28. Link to Post #95
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,390 times in 4,323 posts

The Brave Search Engine. Will This Be The Google Killer? 10:52

Jun 23, 2021

DistroTube

Brave's new search engine recently had it's public launch. Brave, the makers of the Brave Browser, aim to provide a truly privacy-focused search engine that serves independent results rather than pulling from Google or Bing. Also, Brave wants to serve search results free from bias and without pushing any political agendas.

REFERENCED:
    https://search.brave.com/
    https://brave.com/wp-content/uploads/...

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

ByTheNorthernSea (26th June 2021), gord (26th June 2021), JohanB (26th June 2021)

30. Link to Post #96
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

Brave has created its own search engine.

https://search.brave.com/

31. Link to Post #97
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

https://search.brave.com/help/independence

Some info on how they operate their search engine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 5