+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 3 13 18 LastLast

Thread: Oroville Dam... (California, Spring 2017 - current)

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,438 times in 21,490 posts

Default Re: Oroville Dam... (California, Spring 2017 - current)

Quote Posted by Hervé (here)
    ... a close-up of that area reveals the actual rebar swept downstream.
    Mick West, Thursday at 3:56 PM #18
    Speaking of rebar - here's an important article on rebar that Chris Martenson posted on his PeakProsperity.com website last July 2016.

We'll be seeing more such images of failed reinforced concrete. America's main highways and bridges, many buildings, and many dams and spillways are built with that stuff, and it doesn't last. The rebar rusts, weakening itself, and more over the rebar expands while it rusts, breaking the concrete as well. It fails, catastrophically, sometimes in a 100 years, sometimes in a few 10's of years. The more water is available, the faster it fails.When Trump speaks of rebuilding America's infrastructure, he might not realize what a Huuuge Opportunity that is .
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

AutumnW (14th February 2017), Ba-ba-Ra (15th February 2017), Bill Ryan (14th February 2017), Bruno (14th February 2017), DNA (14th February 2017), Eram (14th February 2017), Eric J (Viking) (14th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th February 2017), Hervé (14th February 2017), ponda (14th February 2017), Reinhard (15th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (14th February 2017), sanma (14th February 2017), Sierra (14th February 2017)

3. Link to Post #42
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,953 times in 2,389 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    Speaking of rebar - here's an important article on rebar that Chris Martenson posted on his PeakProsperity.com website last July 2016.

We'll be seeing more such images of failed reinforced concrete. America's main highways and bridges, many buildings, and many dams and spillways are built with that stuff, and it doesn't last. The rebar rusts, weakening itself, and more over the rebar expands while it rusts, breaking the concrete as well. It fails, catastrophically, sometimes in a 100 years, sometimes in a few 10's of years. The more water is available, the faster it fails.When Trump speaks of rebuilding America's infrastructure, he might not realize what a Huuuge Opportunity that is .
    Yep, that is called 'spalling'

And it happens far quicker when the steel is too close to the finished surface as ingress from inclement weather can penetrate quite deep into the concrete. This is exacerbated by putting salts on the road during winter. Salt water run off greatly accelerates rusting in susceptible concrete. Constructions built near the sea have far higher specifications to prolong the life of concrete. At one time marine aggregates were used until they realised it halved the life of concrete due to all the inherent salts. Once the steel starts to swell it produces cracks and this accelerates further degradation.

I sometimes wondered, when watching the steel erectors working, why steel was even used like this. It almost always had the first signs of red rust before the concrete was even poured.

I suspect we can produce near rust proof metals far cheaper today. They knew how to do it long ago..

Iron Pillar of Dehli

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (15th February 2017), Eram (14th February 2017), Eric J (Viking) (14th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th February 2017), Hervé (14th February 2017), ponda (14th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (14th February 2017), RunningDeer (14th February 2017), sanma (14th February 2017), Sierra (14th February 2017), ThePythonicCow (14th February 2017), uzn (14th February 2017)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,157 times in 3,105 posts

Quote Posted by Ewan (here)

Yep, that is called 'spalling'

And it happens far quicker when the steel is too close to the finished surface as ingress from inclement weather can penetrate quite deep into the concrete. This is exacerbated by putting salts on the road during winter. Salt water run off greatly accelerates rusting in susceptible concrete. Constructions built near the sea have far higher specifications to prolong the life of concrete. At one time marine aggregates were used until they realised it halved the life of concrete due to all the inherent salts. Once the steel starts to swell it produces cracks and this accelerates further degradation.

I sometimes wondered, when watching the steel erectors working, why steel was even used like this. It almost always had the first signs of red rust before the concrete was even poured.

I suspect we can produce near rust proof metals far cheaper today. They knew how to do it long ago..

Iron Pillar of Dehli

I wonder how Hempcrete would have faired Ewan...?

Viking
    You decide...your thoughts..your actions..your reality.
    Choose well.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...are-the-change

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric J (Viking) For This Post:

Ewan (14th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th February 2017), ponda (14th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (14th February 2017)

7. Link to Post #44
    United States Avalon Member Ba-ba-Ra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 times in 1,567 posts

Quote Posted by Satori (here)

But there's something that keeps gnawing on my mind: The accident at the Oroville Dam early last week that injured 5 people. The accident occurred inside the bowels of the dam. It remains unexplained and anomalous. Within a few days of that accident, the spillway develops the breach and here we are now.
    Do you have a link about this accident?
    Last edited by Hervé; 14th February 2017 at 19:32. Reason: Quote correct attribution
    Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ba-ba-Ra For This Post:

Ewan (14th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th February 2017), onawah (14th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (14th February 2017), sheme (15th February 2017)

9. Link to Post #45
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ba-ba-Ra (here)

But there's something that keeps gnawing on my mind: The accident at the Oroville Dam early last week that injured 5 people. The accident occurred inside the bowels of the dam. It remains unexplained and anomalous. Within a few days of that accident, the spillway develops the breach and here we are now.

The only thing I've found so far related to this happened back in 2009-

5 DWR workers injured: Steel panel falls at Oroville Dam hydroelectric plant
    By TONI SCOTT - Staff Writer

Posted: 07/23/09, 12:01 AM PDT

OROVILLE -- Five Department of Water Resources employees were injured at the Edward Hyatt Power Plant Wednesday morning when a non-structural steel panel fell at the hydroelectric facility located at the base of the Oroville Dam.

DWR spokesman Bill Cochran said the five injured employees were testing two 72-inch river valves located in a tunnel beneath the dam, just before 8 a.m., when the 6-foot-tall, 10-foot wide steel panel separating the valve from the water diversion tunnel collapsed, sending flying debris toward the employees.
    Last edited by Hervé; 14th February 2017 at 19:34. Reason: fixed quote correct attribution

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BongoBob For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (15th February 2017), Eric J (Viking) (14th February 2017), Ewan (14th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th February 2017), ponda (14th February 2017), RunningDeer (14th February 2017), sheme (15th February 2017)

11. Link to Post #46
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,535 times in 32,788 posts

A sane, clear, grounded, detailed, informative, up-to-the-minute report:

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (15th February 2017), eaglespirit (14th February 2017), Eram (14th February 2017), Eric J (Viking) (14th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th February 2017), Ivanhoe (15th February 2017), JRS (14th February 2017), PathWalker (14th February 2017), ponda (14th February 2017), pyrangello (14th February 2017), Reinhard (15th February 2017), RunningDeer (14th February 2017), sheme (15th February 2017), uzn (14th February 2017)

13. Link to Post #47
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

The critical failure of this dam won't be the washway, it will be the overflow, a cement wall built on dirt.

Filling where the dirt is with cement and sealing it with a polyurea type waterproof coating will help survive through the melting season.

Wilcock's ET's have stopped storm production until we get it figured out...

Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 14th February 2017 at 20:13.

14. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

FYI Joseph Farrell has posted about this today too - https://gizadeathstar.com/2017/02/st...-oroville-dam/

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Raven For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (15th February 2017), Eric J (Viking) (14th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th February 2017), JRS (14th February 2017), PathWalker (15th February 2017), Reinhard (15th February 2017)

16. Link to Post #49
    United States Avalon Member Ba-ba-Ra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 times in 1,567 posts

Oroville Dam California + HAARP RING Weather Modification 2/13/2017

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ba-ba-Ra For This Post:

Eric J (Viking) (14th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th February 2017), Reinhard (15th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (15th February 2017)

18. Link to Post #50
    Thanks

By having no water, the state would need new income sources.

Sept 12, 2016 California Judge says NO!!!

Why do you think Trump's Tillerson is firing all anti fracking judges? The answer is obvious...

"California judge struck down a bid Tuesday by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to expropriate more than 1 million acres in central California for oil drilling.

Judge Michael Fitzgerald found that the BLM failed to consider the dangers of fracking, which is part of the formal application process. Two environmental groups, the Center for Biological Diversity and Los Padres ForestWatch, brought the lawsuit against the BLM".

Trump's downfall won't be immigration, or Putin, or the CIA or friends involved in 9/11

It will be oil...

19. Link to Post #51
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Jim Stone has been following the events at the Oroville dam since it first became public (a week ago?). He remains convinced that it was deliberate sabotage that initially caused the failure in the main spillway's wall.

Here is Jim Stone's current take on this (from his website at http://82.221.129.208/baasepagew7.html):

=========
    THE OROVILLE DAM IS GOING TO FAIL. MANDATORY EVACUATIONS NOW.

UPDATE: By opening the primary spillway to 115,000 cfs they drained the top foot and a half off the reservoir quickly and dropped the lake level to below the emergency spillway level. However, so much erosion happened that they don't know how far below that they need to go to get the water to stop flowing around the emergency spillway through an erosion breach. THEY HAVE NOT GIVEN THE ALL CLEAR, but it might be getting better, my guess.

They decided to sacrifice what's left of the main spillway to stop a catastrophic failure elsewhere. That won't last, more rain is coming and record snow is there to melt.

There were a few readers who said I reported about the dam too much. I kept on it, because I strongly believe the spillway failure was sabotage. And I did not think they would sabotage the spillway unless they had run endless 3d modeling proving an absolute failure would result. I was confident this failure was the end result of careful modeling and sabotage to make it happen, but did not say it because it sounded too "out there".

And now, TOO BAD, I'D RATHER BE WRONG but now the emergency spillway is failing also, because it is just too much water to run over a damaged dam. I believe communists in California's government blew the primary spillway up with explosives. After that, nature would finish the catastrophe. And I believe they carefully planned this out fully, complete with ground penetrating radar scans to prove there would be a horrible end result. That is the type of people that are running California now, I would not put this one inch past them.

Whatever happens now all depends upon how strong the rock in the mountain is that all of this water is going to flow over. Hopefully we will only lose the top 50 feet of water, and not all 770 feet of it. The dam report will be updated regularly in the embedded window.

THIS IS NOT A FUTURE EVENT. THE FAILURE IS HAPPENING NOW. IF YOU LIVE DOWNSTREAM FROM THE OROVILLE DAM, BUG OUT NOW
    =========

Nothing so dramatic. The only sabotage here involves governments ignoring reports of infrastructure in trouble. This goes for the electrical grid, bridges, dams, etc... This dam was known to be failing 10 years ago and nothing was done about it.

Part of the zealotry of a demand economy, (as opposed to a command economy), is you allow things to fail, whereupon you have an actual demand that cannot be ignored. Then the govt. comes to the rescue. Much better to prevent failure, but alas, not in a theocracy based on capitalism in its cancer stage.

The Mexican wall will never be built. It's not immigrants flooding across borders that Americans need to fear as much as actual floods and the 'terrorism' of Mother Nature, partnered with greed and dopey ideology.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (15th February 2017), Debra (15th February 2017), Eric J (Viking) (14th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th February 2017), Hervé (14th February 2017), Octavusprime (17th February 2017), onawah (14th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (15th February 2017), ThePythonicCow (14th February 2017)

21. Link to Post #52
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Raven (here)
    FYI Joseph Farrell has posted about this today too - https://gizadeathstar.com/2017/02/st...-oroville-dam/
    Yes - I came here to this thread to post that same link myself. Good.

In this article, Farrell speculated that there is an ongoing, deliberate, effort to destroy California's farming and infrastructure.

Farrell concluded this article thusly:
    Quote Now we reach the high octane speculation, or the overboard groundless suspicion of the day, because when I saw this article, notwithstanding its obvious tendencies, I began to entertain the same suspicion, though for very different reasons. I too entertain suspicions of a bomb, though certainly not 2000 pounds: all one would need would be a small but sufficient shaped charge to punch a hole in the concrete, a small one, and let the water erosion do the rest. Or perhaps only knowledge of scheduled water releases, and enough time to hammer a hole into the spillway. But who would do it?

What intrigues me about this scenario is when one places it in context of other "happenings" in northern California in the past few years, which I have occasionally blogged about. Recall a few years ago there was an attack on an electrical p0wer substation at the southern end of the silicon valley (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack). The attack was characterized by state authorities as highly professional: it was executed in short time, damage was created that showed precise knowledge, and the attack was carried out in a time that allowed the perpetrators to enter the substation, attack, and leave before authorities were able to respond. There have been other curious incidents in northern California, including attacks on internet cables - again, having all the appearance of having been carried out by professionals - in the San Francisco bay area (See https://gizadeathstar.com/2015/09/th...area-continue/). And notably, these incidents were in the same general region as the Oroville dam. And they all involve infrastructure.

So in answer to the question of "who would do it?", by putting the speculation into the context of other known infrastructure attacks in northern California, one has to answer: someone with professional training. Could it be radical leftists? Certainly. But it could equally be someone else with very different motivations. What those motivations may be remain to be seen. Tapestry may be right; it may be an attempt to damage California agriculture at a time when much-needed water could be supplied. But it could be a part of that larger picture of infrastructure attacks we've seen recently in the Bay area.

That is... if - and it's a huge if - this overboard groundless suspicion of the day has any basis at all.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

avid (15th February 2017), Ba-ba-Ra (15th February 2017), Debra (15th February 2017), Eric J (Viking) (14th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th February 2017), Hervé (14th February 2017), onawah (14th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (15th February 2017)

23. Link to Post #53
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    Jim Stone has been following the events at the Oroville dam since it first became public (a week ago?). He remains convinced that it was deliberate sabotage that initially caused the failure in the main spillway's wall.

Here is Jim Stone's current take on this (from his website at http://82.221.129.208/baasepagew7.html):
    Quote ...

Nothing so dramatic. The only sabotage here involves governments ignoring reports of infrastructure in trouble. This goes for the electrical grid, bridges, dams, etc... This dam was known to be failing 10 years ago and nothing was done about it.
    I share your "nothing so dramatic" view. From my perspective, life is seldom as dramatic as Jim Stone makes it out to be.

However I am more "conspiracy" inclined than to suspect that the problems with this dam are just neglect. I suspect rather a combination of deliberate weakening of the infrastructure, economy and agriculture, for decades, combined with focused, small but well placed and timed, triggering events.

For example, after decades of neglect, it would have taken hardly more than a hand grenade to cause enough initial damage to the weakened concrete in the spillway to start a rapidly escalating cascade of damage. Since (as reported in the article by Joseph Farrell that I posted just above) the first reports of serious damage came from a couple who were out walking around that hillside for their routine exercise, it is therefore clear that getting access to that spillway by someone with a pound or two of the right explosive, and the knowledge of where to place it, could easily have provided the final trigger to start the events of this last week.

That's if even that trigger were needed. Given that the failure occurred on an already repaired location of the spillway, perhaps all that was needed was "lots of water", which the California hills have rushing down their rivers following the recent storms.

Either way, the prior neglect is far from benign in its intent, in my conspiratorial view.

24. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

AutumnW (14th February 2017), avid (15th February 2017), Ba-ba-Ra (15th February 2017), Debra (15th February 2017), Eric J (Viking) (15th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th February 2017), Hervé (14th February 2017), onawah (14th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (15th February 2017)

25. Link to Post #54
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

I read that article just after Martensen posted it a while back. It made me rethink the wisdom of ever buying a condo in a 'solid' concrete structure. I wonder what will replace concrete in the future?

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (15th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (15th February 2017)

27. Link to Post #55
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    I read that article just after Martensen posted it a while back. It made me rethink the wisdom of ever buying a condo in a 'solid' concrete structure. I wonder what will replace concrete in the future?
    For now, the two alternatives to concrete and rebar that I know of are:
    • Thicker concrete - no rebar needed, or
    • Concrete with rebar made out of some (more expensive, no doubt) metal that doesn't rust.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (15th February 2017), Debra (15th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (15th February 2017)

29. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Rocky_Shorz (here)
    By having no water, the state would need new income sources.

Sept 12, 2016 California Judge says NO!!!

Why do you think Trump's Tillerson is firing all anti fracking judges? The answer is obvious...

"California judge struck down a bid Tuesday by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to expropriate more than 1 million acres in central California for oil drilling.

Judge Michael Fitzgerald found that the BLM failed to consider the dangers of fracking, which is part of the formal application process. Two environmental groups, the Center for Biological Diversity and Los Padres ForestWatch, brought the lawsuit against the BLM".

Trump's downfall won't be immigration, or Putin, or the CIA or friends involved in 9/11

It will be oil...
    Well that didn't take long, Trump just signed into law that oil companies no longer have to disclose bribes to Government officials.

Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 15th February 2017 at 02:46.

30. Link to Post #57
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Jim Stone lost his websites domain name, jimstone.is, for a while earlier today. If you still can't get to jimstone.is (server not found or some such error), then use his IP address, as in http://82.221.129.208/.
    Off topic aside - Jim Stone's jimstone.is is still not listed by most of the major DNS providers. In fact, it seems worse than yesterday. Now I am showing that Level 3 DNS servers have two wrong IP addresses for jonstone.is, that DNSAdvantage has a third, different, also wrong, IP address for his site, and none of the nine (9) major DNS providers that I usually use have the current, correct, IP address, 82.221.129.208, for jimstone.is.

Either Jim really messed up administering his DNS account (my guess), or someone really doesn't want Jim on the air (Jim's guess.)

In any event, if I had not been keeping track of the DNS lookups that my system makes, I would likely no longer have known how to access his site.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 15th February 2017 at 00:30.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

avid (15th February 2017), bennycog (15th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th February 2017)

32. Link to Post #58
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,061 times in 2,419 posts

Quote Posted by BongoBob (here)
    Quote Posted by Ba-ba-Ra (here)

The only thing I've found so far related to this happened back in 2009-

5 DWR workers injured: Steel panel falls at Oroville Dam hydroelectric plant
    By TONI SCOTT - Staff Writer

Posted: 07/23/09, 12:01 AM PDT

OROVILLE -- Five Department of Water Resources employees were injured at the Edward Hyatt Power Plant Wednesday morning when a non-structural steel panel fell at the hydroelectric facility located at the base of the Oroville Dam.

DWR spokesman Bill Cochran said the five injured employees were testing two 72-inch river valves located in a tunnel beneath the dam, just before 8 a.m., when the 6-foot-tall, 10-foot wide steel panel separating the valve from the water diversion tunnel collapsed, sending flying debris toward the employees.
    The two of you may have cured the gnawing I spoke of. A few days ago I saw a news story on a link I found on Rense that I went to when reading up on the Oroville Dam spillway failure. I understood the news story, I'm talking here of a news video from a local station, to have been recent----a few days before the spillway failure. I may have been wrong as to the date of the news story, and I apparently am wrong. It was certainly linked in such time-proximity to the spillway failure as to give the impression that the accident that injured the 5 people was recent. It appears that I misunderstood, or I fell for someone's efforts to link the two events in time when they are a few years apart. I also think I read something on Rense about the 5 people being injured which provided a bit more detail; such as two of them being engineers, one being a maintenance worker and two others being something like dam workers. I did not see that detail when I read a few other news reports today. But I could have missed it.

In any event, I did not mean to suggest that the accident that injured the 5 men was causually connected to the spillway failure. It was just something that caused me to scratch my head. However, I'm done scratching because it appears the events were years apart.

As Gilda Ratner would have said: "Never mind."
    Last edited by Satori; 15th February 2017 at 15:07.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (15th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (15th February 2017)

34. Link to Post #59
    Australia Avalon Member bennycog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 times in 971 posts

For those that have nothing to do and would like to sit back and watch. this is supposedly a live stream of coverage..

Well obviously not live... another storm is supposedly due tomorrow...

Last edited by bennycog; 15th February 2017 at 03:39.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bennycog For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (15th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (15th February 2017), thunder24 (15th February 2017)

36. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

Finally, with only a day to spare...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 3 13 18 LastLast