+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 5 15 18 LastLast

Thread: Oroville Dam... (California, Spring 2017 - current)

1. Link to Post #81
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,308 times in 7,756 posts

Default Re: Oroville Dam... (California, Spring 2017 - current)

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    Dutchsinse comments from yesterday

At 8 minutes in he starts to talk about California--big increase of earthquake swarms in California over the last few days.
    He talks about the impact of the water from the dam causing small quakes far beneath the surface.
    I can't explain it, but the moment I heard it suddenly I realized the dam is sitting on a big rock, they didn't flatten it and build up with bedrock, they built around it. The split in the river stripped the sand from the rock. It has 6 Million feet of water pounding it per minute...

The outside of the rock had 2 magnitude one releases.

The rock under the dam, is absorbing the energy... 3000 foot base stretched pyramid...

in 3rd grade I had the highest score ever on mechanical aptitude against PhDs taking the same test and I know the one that was wrong was their mistake, I'm a Scorpion kinda dude that doesn't need to plug numbers in a computer or calculator, I know the answers to problems just looking at them.

Now a Secret no one will ever share with you, all of you gathered to Avalon are earth angels, when you pray, you are asking God to let your Spirit help. healing, peace, saving a child by parting a storm, it is where miracles come from.

They almost killed me a month ago, so all of you need to know the truth of who you are and how to activate your Spirit before going to sleep.

I can't help going head on with the elites, it's crazy, but what I am really here for.

no matter how advanced their technology is, it is nothing against angels...

Bill said all we needed were a few dozen strong spirits to change the world, standing against the storm were close to 27,000. Aren't we a conspiracy forum that believe ETs were involved in our evolution? Where did all these people come from that know how to pray?
    Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 17th February 2017 at 04:45.

2. Link to Post #82
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

This image shows conditions at Lake Oroville and other Northern California reservoirs as of midnight February 15, 2017.
    Full map and legend: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/res...phsMain.action

Getting close to those power line pylones..

http://media.nbcbayarea.com/images/1200*675/2-13-17-oroville-dam-aerial+view.jpg
    (^^^ copy + "Paste & Go" ^^^)

Last edited by Hervé; 19th February 2017 at 13:46.
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (17th February 2017), Bill Ryan (17th February 2017), BMJ (18th February 2017), Bob (17th February 2017), fourty-two (19th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (17th February 2017), JRS (17th February 2017), Reinhard (17th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (17th February 2017), RunningDeer (17th February 2017), seko (19th February 2017), tessie999 (19th February 2017)

4. Link to Post #83
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,521 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by Rocky_Shorz (here)
    Bill said all we needed were a few dozen strong spirits to change the world
    Maybe they are.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

bennycog (17th February 2017), Eric J (Viking) (18th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (17th February 2017), JRS (17th February 2017), Reinhard (17th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (17th February 2017), RunningDeer (17th February 2017)

6. Link to Post #84
    Thanks

Dave Hodges paints a pretty bleak picture.

I just watched the live stream update, they are 23 feet below overflow.

A reporter asked if there was anything he would like the public to be doing right now.

He smiled and said keep praying, not please say a prayer, he saw a miracle yesterday, the 6 storms are all minor rolling in, the disaster moment has passed, and he knows it.
    Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 17th February 2017 at 23:24.

7. Link to Post #85
    Thanks

Don Pedro is up to 98% they have only released water once in its 50 year history

there are 1300+ Dams in California, some over 100 years old

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ams_in_service
    Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 18th February 2017 at 01:35.

8. Link to Post #86
    Thanks

flow rate of main spillway has been turned down to 80K/sec now that reservoir is 40' below overflow...

now they are comfortable letting everyone return.

I'm watching for them to shut it off temporarily to see how deep the spillway hole is.
    Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 18th February 2017 at 01:54.

9. Link to Post #87
    United States Avalon Member Ba-ba-Ra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 times in 1,567 posts

In the meantime: The Feather, Tuolumne, San Joaquin and Sacramento Rivers all downstream are hovering at flood stage. Lots of farm area here and many with livestock have already taken precautions and moved some of their stock. (think in terms of 1600 cows that need to be milked daily)

Breaches have been found in several levees in and around Sacramento and they have been furiously trying to shore them up. This is one of many.
    http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/02/...nts-evacuated/

I have a friend (retired nurse) who graciously volunteers for the Red Cross. She is now up in Chico, Calif in a shelter where 600 people are being temporarily housed. Many don't want to go home yet as they feel they will just have to evacuate again.

Sadly, there has been some looting and car thefts in the areas evacuated, which is why my friend who lives in Marysville has chosen to return home after being evacuated for 3 days.
    Last edited by Ba-ba-Ra; 18th February 2017 at 16:31.
    Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ba-ba-Ra For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th February 2017), BMJ (18th February 2017), Eram (18th February 2017), Ewan (18th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (18th February 2017), genevieve (18th February 2017), Hervé (18th February 2017), onawah (18th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (18th February 2017), seko (19th February 2017)

11. Link to Post #88
    Palestinian Territory Avalon Member thunder24's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,159 times in 1,845 posts

http://www.sciencealert.com/a-massiv...d-ozone-levels im assuming this is a main contributing factor to the winter rains

Quote A vast patch of abnormally warm water in the Pacific Ocean - nicknamed the blob - resulted in increased levels of ozone above the Western US, researchers have found.

The blob - which at its peak covered roughly 9 million square kilometres (3.5 million square miles) from Mexico to Alaska - was assumed to be mainly messing with conditions in the ocean, but a new study has shown that it had a lasting affect on air quality too.

"Ultimately, it all links back to the blob, which was the most unusual meteorological event we've had in decades," says one of the team, Dan Jaffe from the University of Washington Bothell.

The blob of warm water in the Pacific was first detected back in 2013, and it continued to spread throughout 2014 and 2015. While it was less obvious in 2016, there were some indications that it persisted well into last year too.

The vast, warm patch has been linked to several mass die-offs in the ocean during 2015, including thousands of California sea lions starving to death in waters more than 3 degrees Celsius (5 degrees Farenheit) above average, and an "unprecedented" mass death of seabirds in the Western US.

In April 2015, the effects could also be seen on land, with a bout of strange weather in the US being linked to the higher ocean temperatures, and the increased temperatures saw a massive toxic algal bloom stretch along the entire US West Coast.
    Last edited by thunder24; 18th February 2017 at 18:01.
    OBADIAH 1:21
    The Good things in life

"...where ever you go, there you are..."

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thunder24 For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (19th February 2017), bennycog (18th February 2017), Bill Ryan (19th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (18th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (18th February 2017)

13. Link to Post #89
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Simulation Of Oroville Emergency Spillway Failure

Simulation of Full Oroville Dam Failure

References:
    CapRadio
    http://www.capradio.org/90618

Steven N. Ward
    Simulations
    https://websites.pmc.ucsc.edu/~ward/

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SolTerraThree For This Post:

bennycog (18th February 2017), Bill Ryan (19th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (18th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (18th February 2017), tessie999 (19th February 2017)

15. Link to Post #90
    Thanks

BP's latest is out, mentioning other dams in the area needing attention

David's latest goes into cause of the Orville spillway collapse, then he goes into the foo foo lala send love and light. Dude if construction workers can't see, they turn on a spotlight.

Angels Drew a line in the sand and the storm broke from their awesomeness. Not even Lucifer dared mess with angels... 😉

The thing about holding back these storms, it keeps building waiting to be released, the top left shows what is coming 7-10 days out...

Send love in home cooked dinners, they have a lot of work to finish by the next storm.

Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 18th February 2017 at 21:01.

16. Link to Post #91
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

Thank you...helps one get a visual.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Rocky_Shorz (18th February 2017)

18. Link to Post #92
    Thanks

Strange dream last night, saw the storm racing for us and jumped on its back, thought it was a Dragon, but had no wings, it was a big old gator...

It's tail stretched back to Japan, how do you stop a charging Alligator?

I punched it in the back of it's head...

That worked, suddenly I was free falling with it straight at the shore...

Oh God, this is gonna hurt...

Woke right then to a bang, the gate had swung open and hit the house...

Glad it didn't hit Orville dam...

I wonder if that sinkhole was where it's nose hit?
    Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 19th February 2017 at 03:57.

19. Link to Post #93
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,433 times in 21,489 posts

Dave Hodges interviews Paul Preston, who has now evacuated his home, that would be in the area that would be devastated if the Oroville dam gave way:

Dave Hodges posted more details in his article that contained this Preston interview, on his website: Sacramento Is Being Flooded EVEN BEFORE 0ROVILLE DAM BREAKS.

It's not just the Oroville dam that is at risk. Wide spread flooding is already starting to happen, levees are at risk of failing, and other dams are reaching their capacity.

Sacramento, California, the state capital and the home to over two million people, is some 60 to 70 miles due south of the Oroville dam. They are both on the Feather River. Sacramento is down stream from the dam. Sacramento has a long history of being flooded, sometimes 10 or 20 feet deep, prior to the building of the various dams and levees. Now California has stopped most funding of maintenance and upkeep of those dams and levees, for the last two decades. At some point they will fail. If a big dam (Oroville is the tallest dam in the US ... and it's primarily an earthen dam, not concrete on bedrock) goes, then hundreds of square miles along the Feather River basin will be scrubbed clean of all vegetation and developments - highways, bridges, roads, homes, trees, ... wiped out ... gone.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 19th February 2017 at 04:57.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

avid (19th February 2017), Bill Ryan (19th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (19th February 2017), onawah (19th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (19th February 2017), thunder24 (19th February 2017)

21. Link to Post #94
    Thanks

seriously look at the first image that came up in my search to see where the storm hit...

I don't think the world's best cartoonists could have done better than that, even the red bump on the head... Lucifer learned about my lines in the sand...

Well feather dumps into the Sacramento River which has 2 other dams dumping water into it. The good news is, the whole area is set up as flood plains. The water has been dropping since the heavy rains have stopped,.. Orville was dumping 180k the others over 200/ sec and the flood system handled it.

Levies get tired, but so far they are holding up with only minor patches. First hand info from family.

If you are living in a trailer on blocks in the flood plain, it might be time to move... That or invest in pontoons, make it your houseboat, where you float to each storm is home.

This is why the dam is safe down 50'. The wall built on sand isn't touching water...

Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 19th February 2017 at 07:26.

22. Link to Post #95
    Thanks

Quote Posted by thunder24 (here)
    http://www.sciencealert.com/a-massiv...d-ozone-levels im assuming this is a main contributing factor to the winter rains

Quote A vast patch of abnormally warm water in the Pacific Ocean - nicknamed the blob - resulted in increased levels of ozone above the Western US, researchers have found.

The blob - which at its peak covered roughly 9 million square kilometres (3.5 million square miles) from Mexico to Alaska - was assumed to be mainly messing with conditions in the ocean, but a new study has shown that it had a lasting affect on air quality too.

"Ultimately, it all links back to the blob, which was the most unusual meteorological event we've had in decades," says one of the team, Dan Jaffe from the University of Washington Bothell.

The blob of warm water in the Pacific was first detected back in 2013, and it continued to spread throughout 2014 and 2015. While it was less obvious in 2016, there were some indications that it persisted well into last year too.

The vast, warm patch has been linked to several mass die-offs in the ocean during 2015, including thousands of California sea lions starving to death in waters more than 3 degrees Celsius (5 degrees Farenheit) above average, and an "unprecedented" mass death of seabirds in the Western US.

In April 2015, the effects could also be seen on land, with a bout of strange weather in the US being linked to the higher ocean temperatures, and the increased temperatures saw a massive toxic algal bloom stretch along the entire US West Coast.
    A little birdie told me all these cyclonic storms in the northern hemisphere is helping the ocean conveyors flow normally..

So let me ask you, do you think CNN or better yet, GE media is going to mentioned the blob formed after Fukushima started dumping 300M gallons of radiation water in the ocean?

Is it good news the worst has passed?

Maybe they turned off the storms and gave us a major draught to protect us from the radiation...

23. Link to Post #96
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,089 times in 20,639 posts

Oroville Dam EMERGENCY: Who Did It, Why, and What They Are Hiding
    Lisa Haven
    Published on Feb 14, 2017
    Each breath a gift...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (19th February 2017)

25. Link to Post #97
    Thanks

I have the answer to pay for all these dam repairs, open a State owned bottling center for water and beer from fresh spring water.

Add some permanent jobs to the area and money to always keep the dam in shape

Maybe Nestle's will donate their Dam water facility. For all the cavities they've caused, they should be ready to help fill a few...

I tweeted Trump asking him to help me put it together.

All I want is a California Rocky Shorz Red...

I have a filtering system that can take fracking sludge and make it clean enough for the CEO of the project to drink it...

Run Mountain Spring Snowflakes through it and it will be the best in the world...

How many breweries in California use recycled toilet water, we got this...
    Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 21st February 2017 at 00:15.

26. Link to Post #98
    Thanks

They are ready for Monday morning rain

27. Link to Post #99
    Thanks

Look at the lower part of spillway, a minute in, no water?

You can see grass over the wall and 2 cement squirters now...

Last edited by Rocky_Shorz; 19th February 2017 at 23:26.

28. Link to Post #100
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,891 times in 15,481 posts

^^^ That's a lot of concrete that's been poured at the sole of the emergency spillway! ^^^

Oroville Dam: What made the spillway collapse?

By Paul Rogers | progers@bayareanewsgroup.com and Matthias Gafni | mgafni@bayareanewsgroup.com |
    PUBLISHED: February 17, 2017 at 5:00 am
    UPDATED: February 19, 2017 at 10:06 am

(Courtesy of the California Department of Water Resources).
    A massive hole tore through the main spillway at Oroville Dam on Tuesday Feb. 7, 2017.

How did a giant, gaping hole tear through the massive Oroville Dam’s main concrete spillway last week, setting in motion the chain of events that could have led to one of America’s deadliest dam failures?

Dam experts around the country are focusing on a leading suspect: Tiny bubbles.

The prospect is simple, yet terrifying and has been the culprit in a number of near disasters at dams across the globe since engineers discovered it about 50 years ago. In a process called “cavitation,” water flowing fast and in large volumes can rumble over small cracks, bumps or other imperfections in concrete dam spillways as they release water during wet years. The billions of gallons of water bumping off the surface at 50 miles an hour create enormous turbulence that can form tiny water vapor bubbles that collapse with powerful force, and like jackhammers, chisel apart concrete. “It starts with small holes, but it can break off big chunks of concrete,” said Paul Tullis, a professor emeritus of civil engineering at Utah State University and cavitation expert. “It’s like a big grinder. It causes concrete to be torn apart.”

It’s still too early to investigate the cavity on the spillway while dam operators at the nation’s tallest dam desperately drain billions of gallons of water down the damaged chute ahead of coming storms.

Water trickles down as workers inspect part of the Lake Oroville spillway failure on Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2017 in Oroville, Calif.

But the same phenomenon nearly caused the collapse of one of America’s other largest dams, Glen Canyon, a 710-foot tall behemoth on the Colorado River, in 1983.

Heavy snowmelt and rains that winter flooded the Colorado River basin, filling the 185-mile-long Lake Powell to the brim. Glen Canyon Dam — completed in 1966, just two years before the 770-foot Oroville Dam went into operation — opened its two spillways for the first time ever to lower the lake levels.

On June 6, 1983, rumbling sounds could be heard from the left spillway — which is a tunnel, different than Oroville’s 3,000-foot long concrete chute — and the dam began to shake violently. Bureau of Reclamation engineers shut off the spillway and found a series of five holes being torn into the rocks on the dam’s side.

When engineers entered the Glen Canyon Dam’s damaged spillway, they found a crater 32 feet deep and 180 feet long, and tons of concrete, reinforced metal and rock that had simply washed away. The right spillway had similar, but less severe damage. They didn’t simply reconstruct the spillways, they introduced new technology with aeration slots — essentially ramps at vulnerable spots in the spillway to create an air pocket where water vapor could be disrupted and weakened. The physics gambit worked. In 1984, the runoff was equally as challenging, but Glen Canyon’s spillways had no problems.

Those fixes led the federal agency to retrofit two other large dams — Hoover and Blue Mesa — with aerators.

“It was a defining moment in dam design,” Bureau of Reclamation hydraulic engineer Philip Burgi told a magazine years later. “The world was watching how we were going to solve this problem.”

Similar fixes were added to the Tarbela Dam in Pakistan and Infiernillo Dam in Mexico, and now are common in new dams.

It could be months before the cause of the collapse of Oroville Dam’s spillway is known. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission this week ordered the state Department of Water Resources to convene a panel of five dam engineering experts to oversee an investigation.

But despite the lessons from Glen Canyon, the Oroville Dam spillway apparently did not have aerators. The massive chute is 178 feet wide, as wide as 15 lanes of freeway, and just 15 inches thick in the middle. Sources at the Department of Water Resources say it hadn’t been retrofitted with aerators — likely one or two ramps, in the case of Oroville’s chute-style spillway, perhaps a foot high each, that would allow the water to flow over and reduce the risk of cavitation.

“Compared to the cost to repair that, it would be just a few million dollars,” said Tullis. “It’s not just a matter of money, it’s a matter of safety. It should have been a priority.”

When the main spillway failed, officials had to slow water releases. The lake, swollen from heavy storms, rose nearly 50 feet in five days and overtopped its emergency spillway for the first time ever, forcing the emergency evacuation of nearly 200,000 residents along the Feather River. The hillside below the emergency spillway eroded badly, leading to fears it would collapse, and send a wall of water into towns below. In recent days, dam operators have increased flows down the broken main spillway, dropping the lake level, and hoping it doesn’t further tear apart.

By Friday morning, state officials had lowered the water level at the 10-mile-long reservoir by 40 feet, especially important as three new storm systems were coming in.

“The threat level is lower. It’s much, much, much lower than what it was on Sunday,” said Bill Croyle, acting director of the State Department of Water Resources.

Water rages down the broken main spillway at Oroville Dam on Wednesday. Dale Kolke / California Department of Water Resources

One concern that is certain to be a focus in the investigation are cracks in the main spillway in recent years. Records from the state Division of Safety of Dams show the cracks were seen in 2009. Also, crack repairs were done last in 2013, according to Kevin Dossey, a senior civil engineer with the Department of Water Resources.

“We made repairs and everything checked out,” Dossey said last Friday at a news conference. “It looked like it would hold, and be able to pass water.”

If the concrete patches came off, or the cracks worsened, however, that could have eroded the spillway, or it could have created enough of an uneven surface to start the domino-effect of cavitaton, experts said.

“It doesn’t take a whole lot of an imperfection when water velocities are very, very high,” said James Kells, a professor of civil and geological engineering at the University of Saskatchewan.

“When I first saw photos, the first thing that came to my mind was cavitation, just because of where the damage was,” Kells said. But he also began to think uneven concrete slabs or internal erosion below the concrete could be “viable causes.”

Of concern: State officials appear not to have entered the spillway channel during the last two inspections in 2015 and 2016, according to records. “Any inspection you do from a great distance,” Kells said, “I would have to question that.”

Another theory is that the drought dried the ground under the spillway enough that it shrank, creating a void of a few inches that cracked the spillway when huge volumes of water roared down this winter.

“Soils shrink and swell,” said Nicholas Sitar, a professor of civil and environmental engineering at UC-Berkeley. “They have a way of changing volume with seasons. Anyone who has an old house where the doors open and close differently through the year has seen it.”

Big changes are critical, Sitar said.

“They have to look at their procedures and modify them,” he said. “Clearly the spillway is going to have to be rebuilt,” a job that will cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

And the investigation won’t be easy.

“All evidence of what caused this thing,” Sitar said, “has been washed away.”

DAMS DAMAGED BY ‘CAVITATION’
    1967: Heavy snow melt in the Bighorn River basin raises the Yellowtail Dam reservoir to record levels, opening the spillway for 20 straight days. The Montana dam spillways suffers a hole the size of a semi-truck and trailer.

1977: The Karun Dam in Iran has more than 7,500 feet of concrete torn up on its concrete spillways.

1979: The Kebon Dam along the Euphrates River in Turkey suffers damage to two spillways; one had been running for 15 days, another just three.

1983: The Glen Canyon Dam takes on heavy snowmelt and rains leading to water coming perilously close to the top of the dam. Its two tunnel spillways open for the first time ever and both receive significant damage. Engineers create new aerator devices to fix the problem, a big turning point in spillway engineering.

1983: Hoover Dam, the nation’s most well-known, used its spillways in 1941 for initial testing and again in 1983 due to unanticipated high water levels, and both times a concrete elbow transition suffered cavitation damage.

Mid-1980s: Flaming Gorge Dam on the Green River in northeastern Utah and Blue Mesa Dam in Colorado suffer damage are both fixed with aeration devices.

Related:
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (19th February 2017), Bill Ryan (19th February 2017), Eram (19th February 2017), Eric J (Viking) (19th February 2017), Ewan (20th February 2017), Foxie Loxie (20th February 2017), genevieve (20th February 2017), Inversion (20th February 2017), JRS (20th February 2017), Rocky_Shorz (19th February 2017), tessfreq (20th February 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 5 15 18 LastLast