+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to "make" healthy water: filters, minerals and energy

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,528 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: How to "make" healthy water: filters, minerals and energy

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    Bill, a heads up from an Amazon review of those stones with respect to aluminum amounts
    [ ... ]
    Amazon Customer's Review:
    Thanks! Very much appreciated. Interesting, too. (There were 19 comments to that review, and not every one was in agreement. But it gave a lot of pause for thought.)

One obvious question is that there may be a difference between the mineral content of the stones, and the mineral content of the water: for instance, some minerals may be dissolved in the water much more easily/quickly than others. But I'm sufficiently interested (and motivated!) to take a sample of the mineralized water to a local lab for analysis. (Here in Ecuador, the labs are very inexpensive, but with state-of-the-art equipment and really pretty good.)

My apologies for derailing Paul's thread here! But I did appreciate this info.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

7alon (25th March 2017), fourty-two (30th April 2017), Foxie Loxie (25th March 2017), Ol' Roy (25th March 2017), Pam (25th March 2017), RunningDeer (25th March 2017), ThePythonicCow (25th March 2017)

3. Link to Post #22
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

Quote Posted by Paul (here)
    When dealing with municipal water that has chorines, flourines, bromines, glyphosphate, pharmaceuticals, lead, mercury, other heavy metals, petroleum distillates, fertilizers, and lord knows what else, a carbon filter is not enough, not even close.
    Paul, from what I understand carbon filters are the best option for water filtering. here is a quate from Dr Mercola site.

Granular Carbon and Carbon Block Filters
    These are the most common types of counter top and under counter water filters.

Granular carbon filters and carbon block systems perform the same process of contaminant removal, adsorption, which is the chemical or physical bond of a contaminant to the surface of the filter media.

Granular activated carbon is recognized by the EPA as the best available technology for the removal of organic chemicals like herbicides, pesticides, and industrial chemicals. However, one of the downfalls of granular carbon filters is that the loose material inside can channel--the water creates pathways through the carbon material, escaping filtering.

Carbon block filters offer the same superior filtering ability but are compressed with the carbon medium in a solid form. This eliminates channeling and gives the ability to precisely combine multiple media in a sub-micron filter cartridge. By combining different media, the ability to selectively remove a wide range of contaminants can be achieved.

A sub-micron pore structure gives the added benefit of cyst reduction. By creating a sub-micron physical barrier, the filter can eliminate dangerous organisms like Cryptosporidium and Giardia.

Ideally, you want a filtration system that offers a variety of methods to remove different contaminants. Most systems do not address a combination of organic, inorganic, cyst, sediment and metals.

http://waterfilters.mercola.com/drin...er-filter.aspx

Since you claim otherwise may I know what makes you think so. I am new to water filtering I really wanted to hear what you and others will say before I decide. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 25th March 2017 at 10:40.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (25th March 2017), Pam (25th March 2017), RunningDeer (26th March 2017)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Administrator ThePythonicCow's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 138,435 times in 21,490 posts

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    Paul, from what I understand carbon filters are the best option for water filtering.
    Carbon blocks are excellent water filters. I have two of them in my system, as part of the reverse osmosis system under my kitchen sink.

Carbon blocks won't remove some smaller molecules or atoms very well, however. On the other hand, distillation won't remove some volatile organic compounds if they have boiling points near or below the boiling point of water. Carbon blocks handle such volatiles easily.

One can remove everything but the kitchen sink (but the actual H2O) using multiple filters of various kinds, in a row, like I'm doing, or one can determine just what one is trying to remove and go after just that.

For example, if one chooses to drink some unknown river or spring water in the wilderness, one should at least use some water purification, such as iodine, ultraviolet light, bleach, chlorine dioxide, or a ceramic filter, to avoid getting sick on the abundant bacteria and other small things that might be living in that water, but one might well decide to let whatever else is in the the water remain there.

Or if one is in a life raft, stranded at sea, needing to drink sea water, then one will need to find a way to reduce its salt concentration, but otherwise the water may be just fine.
    My quite dormant website: pauljackson.us

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th March 2017), Bruno (31st March 2017), Bubu (25th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (25th March 2017), Pam (25th March 2017), RunningDeer (25th March 2017)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Ha - here's a blast from the past. I posted the following back in May of 2013. My water system has continued to get more complicated since then.

Copper deficiency (Dr Joel Wallach) -- Post #10:
    The main way that I ensure I get enough, in quantity and variety, of minerals is by adding them to my drinking water. I first remove all the extra stuff that comes for "free" in my municipal supplied water (chlorine, fluoride, chlorine by-products, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, fertilizers, heavy metals, fracking by-products, ...) with a series of various filters, then I add back in:In addition to Willards water, potassium bicarbonate and a good salt, I also include in my drinking water a few drops of "Optimally Organic Fulvic Ionic Minerals Concentrated X350"

I also take a multi-mineral supplement: Swanson Ultra Albion Chelated Multi-Mineral Glycinate. I also take transdermal magnesium now and then (whenever the muscle in an old leg wound starts to twitch, which is the first sign that I'm getting low on magnesium.)

The following article, which I have previously referenced several times on this forum, discusses potassium bicarbonate: Diet, evolution and aging -- The pathophysiologic effects of the post-agricultural inversion of the potassium-to-sodium and base-to-chloride ratios in the human diet, by Frassetto L, Morris RC Jr, Sellmeyer DE, Todd K, Sebastian A. (pdf)

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th March 2017), Bruno (31st March 2017), Bubu (25th March 2017), Ewan (25th March 2017), fourty-two (30th April 2017), Foxie Loxie (25th March 2017), Pam (25th March 2017), RunningDeer (25th March 2017)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,300 times in 18,139 posts

Ha - here's a blast from the past. I posted the following back in May of 2013. My water system has continued to get more complicated since then.In addition to Willards water, potassium bicarbonate and a good salt, I also include in my drinking water a few drops of "Optimally Organic Fulvic Ionic Minerals Concentrated X350"
    Thanks, Paul. I just put an order in for Dr. Willard’s Water® ULTIMATE Concentrate. on free shipping (over $30).
    Dr. Willard’s Water® ULTIMATE is the best Willard Water® product available for nutritional supplement use.  It has the same dose of Dr. Willard’s micelle catalyst as that found in the Willard Water® CLEAR and aides in nutrient assimilation, removing toxins from the body, and serves as a free radical scavenger. 

Willard Water® ULTIMATE also has same concentration of the 19 trace minerals found in the Willard Water® DARK XXX.  These trace minerals such as iron, manganese, copper, iodine, zinc, calcium, potassium, and selenium and many others found in the Willard Water® ULTIMATE are essential to maintaining optimum balance. 

They play a vital role in many of the body’s functions such as aiding in the formation of bones and teeth, regulating the release and use of body energy, acting as a natural antioxidant, and assisting in nerve impulse transmission and muscle contraction.

Dr. Willard’s Water® ULTIMATE also contains the same amount of fossilized organics (activated carbon, amino acids, readily available trace minerals and other desirable ingredients obtained from lignite. Lignite is the fossil remains of plants grown 50 million years ago.) as the DARK XXX®.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th March 2017), Bubu (25th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (25th March 2017), KiwiElf (25th March 2017), ThePythonicCow (25th March 2017)

11. Link to Post #26
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

If I could (shamelessly) recommend a product which was designed for this from the get-go (along with many other benefits):

CELLFOOD

All the info is at the link below and I've been using it for years - good stuff! (Can also be ordered online, and is usually available at health shops). Depending on your locale, it can be ordered directly from the local representative. Like colloidal silver, many more benefits than can be "legally" advertised and due to certain regulations in specific countries, is marketed as a "supplement".

For "clean" water, if you go through the history of the product (a detailed PDF is available for download), potable water was one of its first uses until it was discovered it was capable of so much more. Can also be used topically. 72 trace minerals, trace enzymes, and trace amino acids. Very similar product/claims to Willard’s Water® (above)

http://www.cellfood.com/
    Last edited by KiwiElf; 25th March 2017 at 15:18.

12. Link to Post #27
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)
    Very similar product/claims to Willard’s Water® (above)
    This clear description of yours reminds me of something else, also related to this topic.

Someone asked earlier in this thread what were the benefits that I had observed, as a result of drinking this water. My answer to them wasn't very useful; I rather side stepped the question, saying that I kept changing other things in my life at the same time. "Life is not a controlled experiment".

Let me now comment on that, from a different angle.

The connection between what we eat (or drink, or breath, or otherwise put in our bodies), and what that does for our body, is complicated.

Our body, including our own cells, our gut bacteria, and the mitochondria inside each of our cells, makes use of an amazing variety of biochemical, electromagnetic, sound, light, and other processes. These half dozen things make use of these dozen other things to regulate, produce, consume, intake and excrete these half dozen other things ... over and over and over ... with a myriad of feedback loops.

It's an amazing maze.

One can almost never say that "taking nutrient x fixes this problem or provides that benefit" for everyone that takes it.

Let me take a (far simpler) analogy. Imagine that I was married to someone with very little mechanical inclination (that's easy for me to imagine.) Imagine that she calls me up on her cell phone and says her car won't run. If I then recalled back to the time when my car had run out of gas, and I call up the road service to bring her a few gallons of gas, that might help, but probably not. The problem could be any of a number of things. Perhaps the battery died or perhaps some computer thing on the engine lost its tiny little mind, or perhaps the radiator failed and the engine overheated and cracked its block, or perhaps the transmission gave up the ghost due to an oil luck draining its lubricant, or perhaps ... perhaps many things.

Usually (not always) there is one particular thing that's missing, or that's broken, or that's not right, and fixing that one thing will make for an immediate improvement. But just because my car needed some gas one time years ago doesn't mean that my wife's (back when I was married) car needs gas now.

===

This effects how I continue to refine what I eat and drink.

I will notice something that's "not right" with my body. This was altogether too easy for me to do over the past decade, but fortunately is getting harder to do now. Then I will try to figure out what might be causing that symptom of sub-optimum health. Eventually I'd find one or two things that made a big improvement, and perhaps incorporate those into my life, such as by eating or drinking more of one thing, or less of another.

For example, my blood pressure has gone from about 150/90, to 110/60 (a good change, in my view.) Probably the biggest change that did that was my going from a high-carb diet to a nearly ketogenic diet. But that doesn't mean that's the solution for everyone who wants to lower their blood pressure. For others, the difference might be balancing their sodium/potassium and their calcium/magnesium mineral intake; that mineral intake wasn't what I needed to do, because I had already done that.

My basic strategy is:
    1. Notice something about my health that I'd like to improve, or some symptom of poor health I'd like to lessen.
    2. Investigate what might be causing that, learn more about my body, and try possible changes.
    3. Notice which changes make helpful improvements and adopt one or a few of them.
    4. Repeat, until I die in near perfect health at a ripe old age.

===

In short, the claims for many foods, nutrients and practices that say "this fixes all the chronic ills in this long list" are misleading.

There are many changes that will improve life for many people, depending on what's causing the problems they notice.

Good health depends on doing many things more or less right, and nothing too much wrong.

There are many recommended dietary changes that have long lists of "benefits", because most chronic illnesses have many possible partial causes. These long lists of
    "benefits" are rather similar for most of the potentially health nutrients we might consume, or toxins we might avoid.

It depends on the individual case what will be of significant benefit. (Back to my above analogy): some cars need gas, some cars need a battery charge.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 25th March 2017 at 17:42.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th March 2017), Bruno (31st March 2017), Bubu (25th March 2017), fourty-two (30th April 2017), Foxie Loxie (25th March 2017), KiwiElf (25th March 2017), RunningDeer (25th March 2017)

14. Link to Post #28
    Great Britain Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,391 times in 1,757 posts

Recommended by Leuren Moret -Scroll down the page. http://www.leurenmoret.info/lifestyle/index.html

15. Link to Post #29
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    Paul, from what I understand carbon filters are the best option for water filtering.
    Carbon blocks are excellent water filters. I have two of them in my system, as part of the reverse osmosis system under my kitchen sink.

Carbon blocks won't remove some smaller molecules or atoms very well, however. On the other hand, distillation won't remove some volatile organic compounds if they have boiling points near or below the boiling point of water. Carbon blocks handle such volatiles easily.

Thanks and I agree with this I just hope those smaller molecules is not volatile at the same time, otherwise no filter battery can handle them efficiently.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th March 2017), Bruno (31st March 2017), Foxie Loxie (25th March 2017), RunningDeer (26th March 2017), ThePythonicCow (25th March 2017)

17. Link to Post #30
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,092 times in 20,639 posts

I don't think there is a practical, affordable way to remove fluoride from showers, which is something I would love to be able to do.
    I go to a local spring once a month to fill bottles for drinking and cooking, and I keep it in glass bottles on my front porch for a few days before using to be charged by the sun, so my drinking water is pretty good.
    But our water in Arkansas is fluoridated now and I can't afford a reverse osmosis system for my home.
    But they don't remove fluoride for bathing, and there is no shower filter I have been able to find that removes fluoride.
    The toxins in fluoridation can be absorbed when bathing and washing dishes through the pores and the breath.
    Rubber gloves can be worn while washing dishes, but nothing to be done about bathing and showering in it, apparently.
    I guess my next step would be to buy a Berkey and get the fluoride filters, and heat the filtered water for dishes and bathing. (sigh)
    Meanwhile, I am on the local anti-fluoridation committee trying to get state legislators to rescind the fluoridation mandate, or at least give us local control, but no success so far, thanks to their very greasy palms.
    (Just as an aside, I'm amazed at how many people think that devices like Brita pitchers get out fluoride! )
    Each breath a gift...

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th March 2017), Bruno (31st March 2017), Bubu (26th March 2017), Ewan (27th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (25th March 2017), RunningDeer (26th March 2017), ThePythonicCow (25th March 2017)

19. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    I don't think there is a practical, affordable way to remove fluoride from showers, which is something I would love to be able to do.
    Agreed. I also don't know of an economical and practical way to remove fluoride from larger quantities of water. I can only afford to remove fluorides from my drinking water.

I like to imagine that (unlike the chlorines) the fluoride compounds are not so well absorbed through the skin. I have no real idea if this is true, but it makes me feel better to hope so.

Meanwhile, I take a rather high amount of iodine, in the form of Lugol's solution, which contains both forms, potassium iodide and elemental iodine.

The main problem with the halides, fluorine, chlorine and bromine, is that they displace iodine. The iodine is essential to several critical biochemical processes in the body, and is the largest, weakest binding, of the commonly available halides. The other halides, fluorine, chlorine and bromine are smaller atoms, so bond more tightly. They can bind to iodine receptive sites and then not let go. Fluorine is the worst offender here, being the smallest, most energetically binding of the halides.

So I do what I can to keep my body "saturated" with iodine, in both forms, to improve the chance that iodine will end up binding to a receptor, not one of the toxic halides.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bill Ryan (25th March 2017), Bruno (31st March 2017), Bubu (26th March 2017), Ewan (27th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (25th March 2017), onawah (25th March 2017), Ron Mauer Sr (26th March 2017), RunningDeer (26th March 2017)

21. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I'm taking kelp and iodine drops too, also juicing a lot, taking spirulina, fresh aloe vera gel and other stuff.
    I did some investigating, and heard from what seemed a reliable source that we do absorb fluoride through our pores.
    Of course, what is labeled as fluoride now is not naturally occurring fluoride, but fluorosilicic acid from industrial waste, mixed with arsenic, lead, aluminum and God knows what else, as most of it is now being imported from China.
    If Trump doesn't get on that problem along with vaccines, I will be very disappointed.
    Each breath a gift...

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bruno (31st March 2017), Bubu (26th March 2017), Ewan (27th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (25th March 2017), RunningDeer (26th March 2017)

23. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I'm taking kelp and iodine drops too, also juicing a lot, taking spirulina, fresh aloe vera gel and other stuff.
    Excellent

If Trump doesn't get on that problem along with vaccines, I will be very disappointed.
    I doubt that Trump has the power to stop something that deeply motivated.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bruno (31st March 2017), onawah (26th March 2017)

25. Link to Post #34
    Language
    English
    Thanks

He could help expose the lies, at least.
    That would make it pretty difficult for the poisoners and their minions.
    Each breath a gift...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bruno (31st March 2017), ThePythonicCow (26th March 2017)

27. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks

He could help expose the lies, at least.
    Yes - I too hope he will do at least that.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bruno (31st March 2017), onawah (26th March 2017)

29. Link to Post #36
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Here's strong evidence for high sulfate, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and selenomethionine (a particular form of selenium) intake:

These nutrients work together to dramatically lower one's sensitivity to toxic heavy metals and to detox existing stores of heavy metals, such as mercury.

This video is of a 2011 speech by Dr. Russell Jaffe, MD, PhD to the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT).

In this speech, Jaffe also recommends 3 (if you're really healthy) to 100 (if you're rather sickly) grams (not mg) per day of vitamin C (in some mineral salt, aka ascorbate, aka "buffered" form, rather than in the ascorbic acid form) intake, 3 or more quarts of good water, and other nutrients including probiotics and prebiotics in regular, ample, supply. He describes a simple test (using a pH strip on morning urine) for healthy alkaline mineral levels, another simple test (skin fold test) for water levels, and another simple test (the vitamin C flush) for healthy levels of Vitamin C.

His nutrient and supplement recommendations end up matching almost to a tee what I am currently doing, after decades of experimenting with different nutrients and supplements.

He also explains how these are involved in the body's biochemistry - why they work the way they do and are valuable to our health.

He does not cover most of the essential amino acids. He does not discuss optimum fatty acid (such as Omega 3 and 6 fats and saturated fats) intake. He also does not discuss the advantages of a ketogenic (or nearly so) very low carb diet.
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 27th March 2017 at 03:37.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bruno (31st March 2017), Bubu (31st March 2017), Ewan (27th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (27th March 2017), Kristin (29th March 2017)

31. Link to Post #37
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Oopsie - I just made a change in the formula. I removed the iodine.

Something I was watching earlier today brought to my realization that iodine is a strong acid - its outer electron shell is just one electron short of being complete (as in the noble gas Xenon). This means that it just loves to bond tightly with alkaline minerals that have just one electron in their outer shell, such as sodium, potassium, and silver. This is not a problem in an acqueous solution for sodium and potassium, as both sodium iodide and potassium iodide are easily soluble in water.

However silver iodide is quite insoluble in water. That means that the combination of silver and iodine in my drinking water mix was likely self-defeating. Until one of the two was exhausted, it's likely that one positive ion of silver was combining with one negative ion of iodine to form an insoluble and biologically inert molecule of silver iodine, of no further use to my body, wasting both ingredients.

Since iodine is the "odd man out here", the one acidic (from the right side of the periodic table), amongst many alkaline minerals (mostly from the left side of the table), it is now removed from my water recipe. I will have to get my iodine in other ways (as I was already doing anyway.)

This is yet another example of the desirability of keeping the more alkaline parts of one's diet, such as this mineral rich water, from the more acidic parts of one's diet, including the parts that will require strong stomach acid to digest, such as the fats and proteins.

In plain English, don't drink a lot of minerally rich water with one's meals ... and don't put iodine in one's minerally rich drinking water.

I have updated my water recipe in the opening post of this thread to reflect that change.

===

P.S. -- So ... how come I didn't have a couple dozen members pointing out how foolish I was to put iodine in this recipe?
    Last edited by ThePythonicCow; 30th March 2017 at 07:01.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bruno (31st March 2017), Bubu (31st March 2017), Ewan (30th March 2017), Foxie Loxie (30th March 2017), sheme (30th March 2017)

33. Link to Post #38
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Another change:
    Based on the excellent article about boron linked in Bubu's the borax conspiracy -- Post #9, I have increased the borax (for its boron) in the sole ingredients (in this thread's opening post) from 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bruno (31st March 2017), Bubu (31st March 2017), fourty-two (30th April 2017), Foxie Loxie (31st March 2017)

35. Link to Post #39
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

Hey Paul, Edgar Cayce recommended taking nascent electrified iodine in a glass of water first thing in the morning. The idea is that it absorbs very rapidly when taken this way, and you might not have it combining with other elements rendering them inert. Just throwing that out there....

36. Link to Post #40
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by PurpleLama (here)
    Hey Paul, Edgar Cayce recommended taking nascent electrified iodine in a glass of water first thing in the morning. The idea is that it absorbs very rapidly when taken this way, and you might not have it combining with other elements rendering them inert. Just throwing that out there....
    Yes - that could work - thanks. In my particular situation, I expect to add the iodine to a few other (non-alkaline) supplements that I take later in the day. There are ways ...

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThePythonicCow For This Post:

Bruno (31st March 2017), Bubu (31st March 2017), Foxie Loxie (31st March 2017), PurpleLama (31st March 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast