+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking about buying a bus and moving my family into it. Yay or Nay?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default Thinking about buying a bus and moving my family into it. Yay or Nay?

I've seen some really cool buses online and watch YouTube videos when people have fix them up in live out them and they seemed really cool and really cute. They travel the world with their family logging and doing odd jobs on the side to make money we are thinking about buying a bus and doing the same thing but I've heard also that we shouldn't get a bus because they're hard to drive and gas money is so expensive. thoughts anyone?

2. Link to Post #2
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

Default Re: Thinking about buying a bus and moving my family into it. Yay or Nay?

I have a friend who ran a business that can be done from anywhere, he sold his houses, purchased an RV and a tow behind vehicle & his son, wife and himself have lived in that for the last 10 years, going from RV spot to RV spot all over the US.

I'd assume you'd want to get a used "tour" bus, not school bus.. like a Greyhound or something similar (those are built for MPG more so than the school bus engine will be) but I haven't looked into it at all.

If your willing to live simpler, it's very "doable".
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Ashy67 (13th June 2017), Atlas (13th June 2017), avid (13th June 2017), Bob (13th June 2017), Bubu (14th June 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th August 2017), Kano (14th June 2017), toppy (13th June 2017)

4. Link to Post #3
    On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,228 times in 3,216 posts

Default Re: Thinking about buying a bus and moving my family into it. Yay or Nay?

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    I'd assume you'd want to get a used "tour" bus, not school bus..
    What you can think about is how much room/space is there available around the bus.. so that the kids can play outside..

After one year of travel

Greatest van in the world tribute

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Atlas For This Post:

Alekahn2 (14th June 2017), Ashy67 (13th June 2017), avid (13th June 2017), Bubu (14th June 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th August 2017), Noelle (13th June 2017), TargeT (13th June 2017)

6. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,729 times in 1,343 posts

I have lived in vans and a school bus that I completely converted using mostly used RV parts from an RV salvage business. Since I am also a woodworker I made it very livable with cabinets, walls, etc, made from knotty cedar.

One of the problems with a van or bus is that there is no insulation so it's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. In northern areas there was a wood stove in the living room to keep it warm for the family.

My family lived in the bus but today that might be a problem because of people reporting kids not in school, CPS, etc, and I have read about kids being taken away. It might be helpful to choose a modern-looking RV rather a "hippie" or homemade-looking bus so as not to attract the wrong kind of attention if there are young children involved. I have found good buys on older RVs that haven't been used much, but check to make sure everything works properly. Be sure to check for roof leaks and try to stay away from flat roofs which will inevitably be a problem.

It was really nice living wherever I wanted to live which was usually in resort areas.

7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TrumanCash For This Post:

Alekahn2 (14th June 2017), Ashy67 (13th June 2017), Atlas (13th June 2017), avid (13th June 2017), Bubu (14th June 2017), fourty-two (14th June 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th August 2017), kanishk (14th June 2017), Lifebringer (14th June 2017), mab777 (12th August 2017), Noelle (13th June 2017), TargeT (13th June 2017)

8. Link to Post #5
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

live up your dream, dont waste time. Me and my second daughter is saving for a bus home. If you are worried about gas convert it to run on woodgas since you are only running it every time you change place. woodgas cars are very easy to do the only downside is it takes time to start the reactor. Of course you can always use the usual fuel anytime you want to.

http://makezine.com/2010/06/24/lost-...-gas-vehicles/
    Last edited by Bubu; 14th June 2017 at 00:42.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

fourty-two (14th June 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th August 2017), Kano (14th June 2017), NeedleThreader (14th June 2017)

10. Link to Post #6
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,658 times in 8,694 posts

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    If you are worried about gas convert it to run on woodgas
    You can run it on more than just wood.. almost any biomass will work for the gasification process.

Or get a diesel and convert it to BIO diesel... OR convert it to electric.. lots of options if you want to get crazy.
    Hard times create strong men, Strong men create good times, Good times create weak men, Weak men create hard times.
    Where are you?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (15th August 2017), Kano (14th June 2017)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks

It is fun to think of traveling, and feels safer to feel like you are ready and mobile in these difficult times when there could be disasters which need moving away from. But, very importantly, children (and adults too) need to feel stability of a community, of friends, a continuity of learning and schoolwork. There are now ways to homeschool which you may be able to avail yourself of because it is a legal obligation in the U.S. to avail your children of an education of the proper levels in all subjects. Keeping their minds learning, balanced, and nurtured is of the utmost importance. Also, it is important to truly define what is driving your desire to do this venture. If it is a fear of something I would suggest trying to define with your wife what fears they are and addressing those. that way you are not leading your family off on a fearful venture in which paranoia can snowball as children pick up on fears and cry and pout more as they start becoming scared and confused since families are more naturally suited to being grounded in one spot for those years. Lots of people feel worried and feel much better once they have gotten the emergency preparedness 2 week checklist filled and in their cupboards and medicine cabinet.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Molly4US For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (15th August 2017), mojo (12th August 2017)

+ Reply to Thread