+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Age Annoyances

1. Link to Post #21
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 times in 1,357 posts

Default Re: New Age Annoyances

There are quite a number of New Age concepts that can be rather annoying at times and it is sometimes a work of art trying to maintain an objective position without having had personal experience that supports the ideas presented.

When Eckhart Tolle presented the idea of being in the now and the process of it, I tried it and yes his way of doing it can enrich the now to some degree which can temporarily release some of the stress, but as a remedy to a deep blue funk I do not think it is enough because it does not cause long term release of whatever that is the main cause.

Among channeled content there is quite a lot of stuff I am questioning and that is a bit annoying overall. It is a work of art trying to separate out what is true.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WhiteLove For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Clear Light (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2017), Noelle (16th July 2017), onawah (16th July 2017)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thailand Avalon Member Iancorgi's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been living in Asia for the past 20 years (Japan, Thailand, Laos) and I was a resident in a Zen community in Tokyo for a few months And have been practicing Zazen ever since. I also regularly visited a Taoist retreat center where I learned valuable medical Chi kung techniques that I also practiced intensively for years until it became a natural part of my daily routine.

I had many encounters with accomplished healers mostly in the traditional Chinese / Japanese / Thai medicine.

For all my years of dedicated practice I would still be considered at best an advanced beginner. What I find really annoying with some New Age people is the fact that they will jump from one tradition (Yoga, energy healing, Shiatsu, Zen, Theravada, Taoism...) to another and claim any kind of mastery after a few years and sometimes a few months of practice. I'm aware that many of this people have good intentions but this is very misleading.

In most eastern traditions 10 years of intensive practice would be seen by the Masters as beginner level after 20 years and the careful supervision of a senior practitioner you might be allowed to start teaching or healing people depending on your state of achievement. It's very much like learning an musical instrument what kind of deep mastery can you get if you jump from the piano to the guitar and drums in a few years?

In Japan and China (Mainland, Hong Kong, Taiwan, diaspora) many of the tradition remains protected by a heavy veil of secrecy and westerners are still viewed with a lot of suspicion because of our consumerist approach to life. A very good example of that is Reiki in Japan they are still schools practicing the original teaching of Usui Sensei but for the most part they remain closed to non Japanese.

So when I hear stories of ascension, channelling, Crystal healing And claimed lineages I can't help thinking of the snake oil salesman of centuries past. ISP and magic are real but it takes years of hard work and discipline to acquire these skills also the individuals able to display supernatural abilities are very often no nonsense stern looking people and not the goofy new agey types we see in the West.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Iancorgi For This Post:

anandacate (16th July 2017), AutumnW (16th July 2017), Baby Steps (16th July 2017), bearcow (16th July 2017), enigma3 (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2017), Kristin (27th July 2017), neutronstar (16th July 2017), Noelle (16th July 2017), onawah (16th July 2017), Rich (7th March 2019), Whiskey_Mystic (16th July 2017), Wind (16th July 2017)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,304 times in 950 posts

Oh, I hope I didn't come across as being overly facetious with my earlier comment about being in vs out ... but of course 'being in the moment' equates to 'being present' inasmuch as being present to the momentary arising and disappearing of all mental phenomena such as thoughts and images etc and *not* being "carried away" by them

Resting / allowing / letting go / non-grasping / non-engagement and perhaps most importantly a sense of genuine Ease and Relaxation eh ?

Ah, so why 'do' it ? Because with any luck you'll begin to see the 'empty nature' of the 'fictional self' eh ?

Just 'my' two cents
    Last edited by Clear Light; 16th July 2017 at 11:51.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), Innocent Warrior (16th July 2017), Noelle (16th July 2017), onawah (16th July 2017)

7. Link to Post #24
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,206 times in 437 posts

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    I'll start. Somehow, 'being in the moment,' a suggestion to people who are workaholics, essentially, has morphed into a generalization that New Agers apply to WAY too many situations.

Ignoring the specifics of the suffering of others and telling them they should 'be in the moment,' is the worst form of sloganeering. I know it helps to relax and meditate -- in that regard it is sage advice, but to apply it to any and all situations -- nope.

That is my pet peeve. What's yours?
    There is however a valid aspect to "being in the moment" and that is to look at your environment (as opposed to dwell in past memories).
    This applies especially when you walk over a busy street.
    You'll be likely become a statistic in a moment.
    Sane persons are more "in the present" while insane people are stuck in past memories.

Of course, chronic pain can't be negated by being in the moment.
    That requires a workable treatment and sincere support by friends and relatives.
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), Noelle (16th July 2017), onawah (16th July 2017)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,794 times in 6,634 posts

My pet peeve is young people who claim to be awake , yet they are still so deep in slumberville (new word I just made up) I can scream truth in their face and they just keep on dreaming and dreaming ... you can't learn anything until you admit to yourself you don't know anything ...
    Raiding the Matrix One Mind at a Time ...

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ghostrider For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Clear Light (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), Iancorgi (16th July 2017), Ivanhoe (17th July 2017), Noelle (16th July 2017), onawah (16th July 2017), Rich (7th March 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member Whiskey_Mystic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,200 times in 1,024 posts

Quote Posted by Iancorgi (here)
    I've been living in Asia for the past 20 years (Japan, Thailand, Laos)
    Great post, Iancorgi. Pushing the Thanks button wasn't enough for me.
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." -Li Po

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Whiskey_Mystic For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), Iancorgi (16th July 2017), onawah (16th July 2017)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Quote Posted by ghostrider (here)
    My pet peeve is young people who claim to be awake , yet they are still so deep in slumberville (new word I just made up) I can scream truth in their face and they just keep on dreaming and dreaming ... you can't learn anything until you admit to yourself you don't know anything ...
    Ah, how true that is ... and for "me" it's a seemingly ongoing "process" haha

Now, this isn't so much of a "pet peeve" as perhaps more of an "observation" in that I would say there are two types of "awakeness", the first being that there's a "system" behind-the-scenes which one "becomes aware of" i.e. not everything "we" were brought up to "believe" has our best interests at heart, and the second is more of a "spiritual awakeness" which is like an opening into the so-called "spiritual dimensions" eh ?

Sometimes, I suggest, it's more of a forgetting (or a letting-go) of old out-dated "beliefs" BEFORE there's "space" for something "new" to take hold, take root and "spring forth" given enough "nurturance" !!!
    Last edited by Clear Light; 16th July 2017 at 16:51.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), ghostrider (16th July 2017), onawah (16th July 2017)

15. Link to Post #28
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,093 times in 20,639 posts

One of the things that Dr. Mate advises is to "create space for yourself", which may mean relinquishing some of the distractions, indulgences, etc. that clutter up your life and thus prevent you from being able to be present in the moment.
    That may not always be possible, and not to be glib, but an alternative might be looking at the possibility of relinquishing the mindset that makes you think it's impossible to be present in the moment ( or to enjoy it) because you are too busy.
    The Buddha taught that it is possible to follow The Path as a householder, and he outlined a step by step way to do it.
    See:
    http://buddhaspace.blogspot.com/2009...-path-for.html
    Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    You might find this talk interesting, starting about 49 minutes in (equating mindfulness with being in the moment) :

Quote Posted by Foxie Loxie (here)
    Being "in the moment"?? After living in a brainwashed condition for most of my life I can understand what people are talking about. One becomes so busy simply doing what has to be done within The System that there is no "enjoyment" of just "being"!
    Each breath a gift...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 times in 404 posts

Just one example of living in the moment/living in the now.

You are an avid gardener. It is spring and you can finally get out into your garden. Your smile on your face deepens as you gather your tools. Then you begin digging in the dirt. Next thing you know it is 2 hours later and it seems like time has gone by in the blink of an eye. You lost total sense of time as you worked your garden. You did things intuitively and with great joy. There was a noticeable sense of a lightness of being. You had no care in the world.

You, for a brief time, lived in the now. You remember the experience as somewhat exhilarating. Time did not exist. You did not care. Bliss was your constant companion. Welcome to the awakened state - if only for a little while.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enigma3 For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Clear Light (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), onawah (16th July 2017), Rich (7th March 2019), Wind (16th July 2017)

19. Link to Post #30
    Thanks

I appreciated this thread.

This may sound simple, but it was not being allowed (or allowing myself) to become/feel angry. The groups/personalities I surrounded myself with during my experiences would discourage the very thought of anger/ frustration. This included my partner at the time. The moment I went into fear, anger, dismay (etc), I was told I was in dangerous low vibrational territory. I now call it 'Feeling Repression'. Sure enough this repression built up inside of me and created a very dissonant state. I would ask myself, if this is truly the path to enlightenment, why do I feel like utter sh*t? I thought this new age stuff was supposed to raise my vibration? I thought looking/acting above and beyond would transform me into an aware (blah blah blah) person? It wasn't until I embraced my dark, things started to change - for the better. Feeling and allowing my anger to simply exist (or any of the so called "negative emotions") is what transformed me. What better way to understand something, than by letting it speak directly to you. Only then you can truly know thy self. There is beauty in both the dark and light. Isn't that what a human being is? Yep!

Quote Allowing Ourselves to Experience Our own Beauty
    Posted January 3, 2017

When I start thinking, “I’m Ram Dass, and I’ve worked on myself, and I’m supposed to be equanimous, loving, present, clear, compassionate, accepting,” oftentimes I get tired, I get angry and petulant, and I close down. For a long time I’d get into those states and I would feel really embarrassed, because that isn’t who Ram Dass is supposed to be. So I would appear like I was warm, charming, equanimous, compassionate, and there was deviousness and deception involved. Then I realized that’s bad business, because that cuts us off from one another… and I had to risk my truth. I had to risk being human with other people, and realize that what we offer each other is our truth, and our truth includes all of our stuff.

The first thing I had to do was accept my own truth. I had to allow myself to be a human being.
    Now, what I found was that as I started to allow myself to be more human, just allowed what I am, things changed much faster in me. I mean, things fell away more quickly. It was as if I was locked into a model which was based on that negativity, that dislike of myself; and once I just allowed myself to be human, with all the foibles, things started to flow, and I could feel change occurring in myself.

Then, I started to experience my own beauty and it frightened me, because it was so dissonant and discrepant from the model that I had cultivated of myself over the years. Dissonance between the idea that I had to do good in order to be beautiful and that idea that I just am… and that what is, is in its own way beautiful.

You look at decay, and it is beautiful. Laura Huxley, who is a very dear friend, in her kitchen has these jars over the sink, and she takes old beet greens and orange peels and things, and sticks them in water on these long, beautiful pharmaceutical jars. Then they slowly start to mold and decay, and there are these beautiful decaying formation of mold. It’s really garbage… it’s garbage as art. We look at it and it’s absolutely beautiful. There’s absolute beauty in that.

I’ve begun to expand my awareness to be able to look at the universe as it is, and see what is called the horrible beauty of it. I mean, there’s horror and beauty in all of it, because there is also decay and death in all of it. I mean, we’re all decaying – I look at my hand and it’s decaying. It’s beautiful and horrible at the same time; and I just live with that. And also with it, I see and live with the beauty of it.

So we’re talking about appreciating what is. Not loving yourself, as opposed to not liking yourself, but allowing yourself. As you allow, it changes. I think that gets behind the polarities. I think that’s what’s important.

– Ram Dass

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Paprika For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Clear Light (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), Hervé (16th July 2017), Noelle (16th July 2017), Whiskey_Mystic (16th July 2017), Wind (16th July 2017)

21. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,392 times in 3,448 posts

Something that has annoyed me a good bit is when a new ager tells a mind control victim that they are weak minded or stuck in victim mindsets, and that is why mind control is effective on them. The truth of that matter is the new agers are brainwashed and projecting in a disgusting fashion. They are the weak minded ones as the contrived satanic CIA concocted and Vatican approved New Age PSYOPS worked on them, while those who the new age doesn't work on are accounted for in other ways, such as being assaulted with electromagnetic weaponry on a daily basis, and then called weak minded because the immutable natural laws of neuroscience work on them.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Omni For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Clear Light (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), onawah (16th July 2017)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks

Quote Posted by enigma3 (here)
    Just one example of living in the moment/living in the now.

You are an avid gardener. It is spring and you can finally get out into your garden. Your smile on your face deepens as you gather your tools. Then you begin digging in the dirt. Next thing you know it is 2 hours later and it seems like time has gone by in the blink of an eye. You lost total sense of time as you worked your garden. You did things intuitively and with great joy. There was a noticeable sense of a lightness of being. You had no care in the world.

You, for a brief time, lived in the now. You remember the experience as somewhat exhilarating. Time did not exist. You did not care. Bliss was your constant companion. Welcome to the awakened state - if only for a little while.
    Yes, in a sense "you" (or your sense-of-self) is *Absent* nevertheless in such "moments", LOL, I'd say there is the palpable sense of *Aliveness* but for no-one haha
    Last edited by Clear Light; 16th July 2017 at 18:15.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017)

25. Link to Post #33
    Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	unified.png
Views:	46
Size:	648.7 KB
ID:	35680

Oh, LOL, it's probably why, I imagine, people who participate in Ayahuasca ceremonies feel such "relief" or have "life-changing" experiences because their regular sense-of-self gets completely blown out of the water eh ?

Dare I say it but Separation is a LIE !!!
    Last edited by Clear Light; 16th July 2017 at 19:14.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), Rich (7th March 2019), Wind (17th July 2017)

27. Link to Post #34
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,713 times in 20,824 posts

Lightbulb Re: New Age Annoyances

What is new age anyway?

It's people taking conscious responsibility for their own lives, not blaming others for their problems.
    It's people who deliberately decide to learn and grow.
    It's people that don't have to be right, except for themselves.
    It's people seeing problems as lessons, perhaps in a long series of lives and lessons.
    It's people who believe we are what we think we are, and can change ourselves by changing our thinking.
    It's people that feel they can change the world by changing themselves, not by trying to change others.
    It's people who search for strength from the universe by going inside themselves.
    It's people that recognize love doesn't have to have conditions attached.
    It's people loving and knowing themselves in order to better know and love others.
    It's people who see others as not better than or less than, but rather different than, themselves, yet part of the same whole.
    It's people that choose their own path rather than follow dogma.
    It's people honouring your right to your own path, not theirs.
    It's people who realize that now is all we have, since yesterday is just a thought and so is tomorrow.
    It's people interested in owning themselves rather than things.
    It's people who see joy in life rather than pain, having experienced enough pain already.
    It's people curious about extra sensory perception and all it implies.
    It's people in all walks of life, from business persons to flower essence healers, psychologists to UFO investigators.
    New Age is not a new religion with a hierarchy of priests and rituals, seeking converts, though some new ager's choose some ritual.
    New Age is not often gloom and doom, though many are concerned about ecology, the economy and other forces that affect our world.
    New Age is not a movement based on guilt, anger, fear or hurt; it is a journey toward the love that is the Prime Creator.
    New age could not become a cult because of what is said above.
    New Age is not just humans doing, it is humans being.

No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), Michi (16th July 2017)

29. Link to Post #35
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,206 times in 437 posts

Quote Posted by ExomatrixTV (here)
    What is new age anyway?

It's people taking conscious responsibility for their own lives, not blaming others for their problems.
    It's people who deliberately decide to learn and grow.
    It's people that don't have to be right, except for themselves.
    It's people seeing problems as lessons, perhaps in a long series of lives and lessons.
    It's people who believe we are what we think we are, and can change ourselves by changing our thinking.
    It's people that feel they can change the world by changing themselves, not by trying to change others.
    It's people who search for strength from the universe by going inside themselves.
    It's people that recognize love doesn't have to have conditions attached.
    It's people loving and knowing themselves in order to better know and love others.
    It's people who see others as not better than or less than, but rather different than, themselves, yet part of the same whole.
    It's people that choose their own path rather than follow dogma.
    It's people honouring your right to your own path, not theirs.
    It's people who realize that now is all we have, since yesterday is just a thought and so is tomorrow.
    It's people interested in owning themselves rather than things.
    It's people who see joy in life rather than pain, having experienced enough pain already.
    It's people curious about extra sensory perception and all it implies.
    It's people in all walks of life, from business persons to flower essence healers, psychologists to UFO investigators.
    New Age is not a new religion with a hierarchy of priests and rituals, seeking converts, though some new ager's choose some ritual.
    New Age is not often gloom and doom, though many are concerned about ecology, the economy and other forces that affect our world.
    New Age is not a movement based on guilt, anger, fear or hurt; it is a journey toward the love that is the Prime Creator.
    New age could not become a cult because of what is said above.
    New Age is not just humans doing, it is humans being.

That's what I understood too - what a New Ager is.
    But there seems to be different viewpoints or judgements or bad samples of New Ager?
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Michi For This Post:

AutumnW (16th July 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th July 2017), Noelle (16th July 2017)

31. Link to Post #36
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

It really is all about the person. For a short time, I worked in(didn't attend) an Episcopalean church and I met some soulful kind people there. The word of God, filtered through their unique personalities made them better deeper kinder people. At the same church I also ran into a nest of vipers. The word of God, through them turned some of the key commandments right on their head.

Same with 'being in the moment.' I have seen it artfully applied in a wise way, but have also seen it used to blow people off, who deserved attention paid to the specifics of their real world problems. When Eastern mysticism is refashioned into a Western New Age 'discipline,' it picks up a lot of covert Narcissism, judgement and weird monitoring of emotions.

'Negative' emotions exist for a reason. Monitoring others for 'emotion crime' and hauling them on the carpet for being righteously pi**ed, is a manipulation tactic, not a valid spiritual practise.
    Last edited by AutumnW; 16th July 2017 at 23:18.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (17th July 2017), Noelle (17th July 2017), Whiskey_Mystic (16th July 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2