+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: JoefromtheCarolinas Vlog/Radio Q&A

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Brook passed on 25 Oct, 2018.
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,199 times in 1,540 posts

Default Re: JoefromtheCarolinas Vlog/Radio Q&A

Hi Joe!

You mentioned using the property for saw milling wood. And you said you like pictures...That's what we do. We purchased the wooded property next to our property and we get some pretty good wood there. Most of what we have so far is from fallen trees.

Now what I'm going to show you are partial unfinished projects I think you'll like it.

Here is our sawmill...Sorry for the music we added it for the company that sold us the saw mill because they said if we made them a video they would send us two hats and t-shirts.

Here is what we call the Gizmo. It's a wench that Lionhawk made and is attached to a stable tree to pull another log to the sawmill. It works great!

Here is a pic of the wood...which has now doubled in size and it's all red oak for the kitchen cabinets that Lionhawk is making and the floor for both kitchen and dining room. It's been drying now for awhile so it's about ready to final plane and get done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wood1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	36067

Here is the starting of the kitchen project which is still in progress.

Name:	counter.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	36068Click image for larger version

Name:	test1.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	36069

Not quite done yet but it's been fun making all of this stuff from scratch! The floors are going to look like that counter top when we get done...I can't wait!

Thought you would like this as you mentioned it in the first video.
    Last edited by Shadowself; 29th August 2017 at 05:01.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Post:

anandacate (30th August 2017), Billy (29th August 2017), Callista (29th August 2017), cascadian (29th August 2017), Chester (29th August 2017), fourty-two (13th September 2017), Foxie Loxie (29th August 2017), Ivanhoe (30th August 2017), Joe from the Carolinas (29th August 2017), Krist (29th August 2017), Ol' Roy (5th September 2017), RunningDeer (29th August 2017), ThePythonicCow (29th August 2017)

3. Link to Post #22
    Moderator (on Sabbatical) Joe from the Carolinas's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,955 times in 995 posts

Shadowself- outstanding! Love the vids and pictures. Y'all are doing great! It is this kind ingenuity and creativity that gives me hope for the survival of humanity

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

Billy (29th August 2017), Callista (29th August 2017), Chester (29th August 2017), Daozen (4th September 2017), fourty-two (13th September 2017), Foxie Loxie (29th August 2017), RunningDeer (29th August 2017), Shadowself (29th August 2017)

5. Link to Post #23
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

Quote Posted by RunningDeer (here)
    “A veg plot in a pot.” It's not genetically modified, rather individually and carefully hand grafted.

TomTato plant grows both tomatoes and potatoes. Ben Coxworth October 1, 2013. The TomTato consists of the top of a cherry tomato plant and the bottom of a white potato plant, that have been grafted together at the stem. The potatoes are said to be fine for boiling, mashing or roasting.

Plant Grows Both Tomatoes and Potatoes

Published on Sep 27, 2013

Stores in the UK have started selling a single plant that grows both tomatoes and potatoes at the same time.

More and more city dwellers are interested in urban farming but limited space is a significance hindrance.

A mail order plant company in the UK has started selling a single plant that grows both tomatoes and potatoes at the same time.

Called the TomTato, it can yield over 500 cherry tomatoes while a bunch of tubers suitable for soups, stews, and roasting grows beneath.

Thompson & Morgan, the company that's selling the dual-purpose plant, calls it "a veg plot in a pot".

They also stress that it's not been genetically modified, rather individually and carefully hand grafted.

The grafting that enables the existence of the tomato potato combo has been around for decades.

What makes the TomTato unique is that it's been commercially produced and widely available.

According to the company's horticultural director, that accomplishment has been a long time coming.

It all started about 15 years ago when he saw a potato someone had planted under a tomato plant to be funny.

He started to think about whether or not a plant that would grow both was possible.

Many years of experiments and trials later, it became a reality.
    Quote Posted by Did You See Them (here)
    Here is a little question for all you budding gardners - Have you ever come across a pototo ( grown from a seed potato ) that as well as producing potatoes below has sets of tomatoes growing at the top ?
    I contacted Thompson and Morgan.
    I spoke with one of the horticulturists there.
    They assured me that all Tom-Tato plants are ONLY produced by grafting.
    The plant I grew was from a bag of Tesco "Whites" that had started to sprout, (not bought seed potatoes)
    They have asked for me to send them some of the potatoes and a small sample bag of soil used. ( planted in garden - so nothing special )
    They also asked about chemicals and feeds used. ( None ! )

Will be interesting to see if I hear anymore back from them - but if they start selling "seed potato" for Tom-tato plants in a few years - well you know where they came from !!

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Billy (29th August 2017), Callista (29th August 2017), Chester (29th August 2017), fourty-two (13th September 2017), Foxie Loxie (29th August 2017), Joe from the Carolinas (29th August 2017), RunningDeer (29th August 2017)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Did You See Them (here)
    I contacted Thompson and Morgan.
    I spoke with one of the horticulturists there.
    They assured me that all Tom-Tato plants are ONLY produced by grafting.
    The plant I grew was from a bag of Tesco "Whites" that had started to sprout, (not bought seed potatoes)
    They have asked for me to send them some of the potatoes and a small sample bag of soil used. ( planted in garden - so nothing special )
    They also asked about chemicals and feeds used. ( None ! )

Will be interesting to see if I hear anymore back from them - but if they start selling "seed potato" for Tom-tato plants in a few years - well you know where they came from !!
    Thanks for the report! I suspect what they are trying to do is figure out how many different types of potatoes and soil types their grafted plants can successfully thrive, in order to offer a variety in the future. I'd be really excited if they started selling a very small grafted "seed tomtato".

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

Chester (29th August 2017), fourty-two (13th September 2017), Foxie Loxie (29th August 2017), RunningDeer (29th August 2017)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

anandacate (5th September 2017), Chester (14th September 2017), fourty-two (13th September 2017), Foxie Loxie (4th September 2017), Ivanhoe (6th September 2017), RunningDeer (4th September 2017), Shadowself (4th September 2017)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

I wanted to update folks that have been writing, the hurricane knocked out utilities in my area- I'm ok and enjoying life without them. I will be "back" so to speak once TPTB decide to flip the switch and remove debris from the roads. Will be checking in as often as I can. Hope everyone else who was in the path is safe as well.

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

Blacklight43 (13th September 2017), Callista (14th September 2017), Chester (14th September 2017), fourty-two (13th September 2017), Foxie Loxie (13th September 2017), naochan (13th September 2017), Nasu (13th September 2017), RunningDeer (13th September 2017)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Lemon balm is an awesome anti-mosquito plant that’s also incredibly easy to grow- just neglect and harvest. Be aware that anywhere you plant it, it will take over! Here’s a video I made to show how to harvest lemon balm seeds (for free), instead of buying $4 seed packs.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Joe from the Carolinas For This Post:

avid (30th October 2017), Daozen (30th October 2017), fourty-two (31st October 2017), Foxie Loxie (30th October 2017), Noelle (30th October 2017), RunningDeer (17th December 2017), Shadowself (15th December 2017)

15. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Good morning!

I'm so bummed! I told Foxie I wanted to share some of my back deck potted plants which were herbs and peppers but I seem to have lost the pictures. I do however have some of the harvest pics where I prepared them for winter storage. I know you like to see the finished products of the garden variety so here goes Joe....hope you enjoy:

Peppers galore! Sweet banana and jalapenos

Name:	garden1.PNG
Views:	133
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	36633

I had much more than this and canned them. Here is the start of that canning:

Name:	garden4.PNG
Views:	100
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	36634

I had oregano, thime, lemon and sweet basil, and Cilantro..here is the oregano drying and the start of the lemon and sweet basil. Lemon basil is particularly good on fish!

Name:	garden3.PNG
Views:	73
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	36635 Click image for larger version

Name:	garden2.PNG
Views:	138
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	36636

Now just for kicks and giggles... this was from a previous harvest I did while looking for my missing pictures...at the time I had so many cucumbers they were coming out of my ears! Even after I gave the neighbors half of my harvest...so I learned to pickle!

Name:	garden6.PNG
Views:	112
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	36638

Until next spring Joe have a good winter....loved the band video!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (17th December 2017), Joe from the Carolinas (18th December 2017), mojo (17th December 2017), RunningDeer (17th December 2017)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks

Oh yeah...one more thing. The end of last September I had a visit from one of those deer I told you about that come visit me. Well here is a pic I took of one such visit. In the background you can see the fire wood we stocked up for the winter.

Name:	deer.PNG
Views:	72
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	36639

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shadowself For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (17th December 2017), Joe from the Carolinas (18th December 2017), mojo (17th December 2017), RunningDeer (17th December 2017), Satori (17th December 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2