Thread: Abductions on the Island of Sulawesi Indonesia by Alan Lamers

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,660 times in 4,303 posts

Default Abductions on the Island of Sulawesi Indonesia by Alan Lamers

At first I thought this story would contribute to another thread, but alas this story seems to be on it's own. I placed it in Athena's David Paulides MISSING 411 thread but that thread is deep and thus this story risks not being seen.
    As such I feel it worthy of it's own thread.

I first heard of this story in a conversation David Paulides and Whitley Strieber were having in connection to folks who go missing given strange peculiar circumstances.
    Whitley quoted this story and here we are.

This story takes place in Indonesia, where the population knows not to go wearing any other color than black or white when traversing the mountains and forests.
    This they say is because the Djinn are roaming these parts, and they will abduct you, and you will never be seen from again.
    This story reads like an H.P. Lovecraft story, it's chilling in it's implications.

Quote Disappearances in Indonesia

Friday, May 28, 2010

An Unknowncountry.com reader, Alan Lamers, working on the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia reports that many people are disappearing in the jungle, apparently due to a very unusual form of abduction that takes place if they wear certain colors. Some are returned, but generally with no memory of what happened to them.

His report follows:

I am on an island called Sulawesi in Indonesia. To be exact, I a writing this from the city of Makassar also known as Ujung Pandang Sulawesi Selatan (South Sulawesi).

I started running across this story about 3 years ago when I went to a small village in the district of Sandu Batu in South Sulawesi. I was told not to bring any clothing with yellow in it or any other bright colors to wear in the jungle. Only Black or White. Black was the most preferred. I had to ask why. They said that people who wear these bright colors will disappear.

I thought it was some kind of cultural taboo that had a harsh punishment if broken, so I complied of course. We got to the village and everyone wore black. The villagers verified that people do indeed disappear but this village would not say why. When we got there, rested, met with the leaders of the village, about 10 of us proceeded to go into the jungle to witness illegal logging that was occurring there and the villagers wanted to show us the damage.

One of my friends, who is a Bugis-Makassar, didn't listen or understand the warning and wore yellow socks. We did our tour and returned. He was strangely quiet. That night he became extremely ill. I had never seen a person projectile vomit that hard. He had an extreme fever also. We nursed him and about a day later he returned to his healthy self. Then he told us what happened.

He said something had bitten him on his right legs calf and then his thigh. He showed us the marks. They were huge scratches. He said he could not see what was attacking him. He said he did not want to tell us what happened because he was embarrassed. The villagers stood around us with these knowing looks while we looked at the marks.

I asked them what it was. They did ant to say, but they said he was very lucky. Usually people disappear. I was stunned. It was not a taboo. It was a serious threat.

I just came back from the city of Palopo last night. I went there to visit a friend. Then I heard this story from her. Her cousin and four others went for a three day hike in the mountains about an hour out of town. When they did not return she began to worry. after about a week things got very serious.

She hired a search party with her own money, you have to understand she is poor so the cost to her was enormous. I know it was a few months ago because she would send me notes apologizing for not having the money to pay me her monthly loan payment. I found out it was because of the search party. Anyway I digress, she spent a month in the mountains searching for her cousin and his friends. They found only her brother.

He was severely emaciated but was still alive. He was also traumatized. He was also alone. The families of the missing men forced her and her family to continue searching for the four missing people. They have never been found. Not a trace. Not even a body. They just disappeared.

The brother has no memory as to what happened. He does not know how they got separated. He was so traumatized by what happened he did not speak for two months. I questioned him a bit but I stopped for now because he was returning to his previous state.

I asked my friend what she thought happened. She said it was the Jin. Jin is Arabic for demon. She said many many people have disappeared in the mountains because of the Jin. I asked my engineer friend who I worked with about this early today. He said it happens often and reminded me of Wala Wala the village we had gone to. Entire cultures have developed around this problem. They wear only black because they believe this allows them to travel through the jungle undetectable by whatever it is that takes these people. At first I thought perhaps it was a python. The largest snake ever caught was python. It was caught in Sulawesi. I was immediately corrected. Snakes are not a problem to grown adults they said. That theory died on the spot.

There is something taking these people Whitley. Something terrible and evil in Sulawesi. The people of Sulawesi have come to terms with it and have tried to adapt themselves to deal with whatever it is. It has gone on long enough to bend culture. I will continue to investigate what this is. It is one of the strangest and most dangerous true stories I have ever come across. Could it be extraterrestrials? Maybe but who? It would be easy for extraterrestrials to hunt human beings here because villages are so remote. I go by foot to many of them.There are few roads in some areas. Also 85% are Muslim and therefore people are not allowed to talk about this sort of thing and the religion treats this circumstance as nonsense because it does not fit into doctrine and is in constant competition with Animism. People are embarrassed to talk about it. This is a wild world Whitley.

Indonesia is one of the most volatile geographical areas in the world. The energy produced allows all sorts of entities to exist. Spirits are rampant here because of this. There word for Spirit is Hantu. I have experienced Hantu many times while here in Indonesia but that is another story.

Our correspondent provides this follow-up to his continuing investigation:

After a bit of a talk with some people who got the young man who had survived the hike in the jungle to talk, I interviewed and recorded the information as best as I could.

I found out he kept seeing what the Bugis call Jin Kurcaci. It means little demon people. These things do what is called "penculikan" or abduction. No one knows why they do this. But sometimes the people come back after a bit. The people or creatures who do this have a small nose and their eyes are small and black, but their mouths are very broad and when they smile it is very large compared to the rest of their face. He could not remember the color of their skin. I asked for a picture to be drawn. He managed a crude happy face with a nose consisting of a single line and a huge grimace. The boy was the only one who could see them out of the five.He kept seeing a lot of them but when he would try to show the others one of the four who disappeared could see them.

He also saw a strange animal he could not recognize. These animals are the size of a horse with huge antlers. He said he saw herds of them. He could not understand where they came from or why there were so many. They not an animal indigenous to the area. There is no such known animal that big in Sulawesi.

Apparently this is a widespread problem. The reason why I say I recorded the conversation as best as I could what I mean is that the batteries in the recorder which were just changed before I arrived went dead during the interview. This has happened before to me. So did the battery in my keyboard which is also new. I will be going home in a week but am stopping in Java first to see if this anomaly is occurring there. I keep getting told it happens a lot. I mean a lot. I did a search "Orang Hilang" or "disappearing person" and a lot of stories showed up. But the stories are in Bahasa. I plan on translating as many as I can because I have first hand experience.

Unknowncountry will continue to follow this story, and provide updates in this section of the website.

Remember, this is the only place in the world where material like this appears. Help us keep going by joining our subscriber community today.

To explore our subscription offering, click here.

Read the original source: http://www.unknowncountry.com/insigh...#ixzz4qFeCabRP
    These folks seem to be of the opinion that the Djinn can not see you if you wear solid black or solid white. Is this the reason middle eastern folks and Muslims are often wearing solid black and solid white most of the time?
    The dude getting bitten by an invisible creature was quite a trip.

Alan Lamrs is interviewed by Whitley Strieber here. He expands on the quoted phenomenon that took place in Indonesia.

After listening to the Alan Lamers interview by Whitley I would like to contribute some major points of the conversation.
    A group of 5 goes missing in the Mountains of Sulawesi Indonesia and all are considered lost. This is very much a story that could be contained in a David Paulides Missing 411 book. Anyway search parties go out and one of the group is found alive.
    The experience was so traumatizing to him, he could not speak for two months.
    Let me reiterate, the experience left him deaf and dumb for two months after he was recovered. This is at 32:00 minutes into the interview.
    Finally after two months the man recounts his story.
    He says that he and his group were followed by little people.
    Little people with small eyes and huge mouths, that made their faces look like the Cheshire cat out of Alice and Wonderland.
    He said that these beings overtook his group and that the next thing he knows he is in a strange place with a large body of water and Elk like creatures.
    Note, there are no Elk in the jungles of Sulawesi Indonesia.
    It is my personal opinion after hearing his story, that he went through a dimensional tunnel of sorts and was taken to another place/dimension.
    And it seems he was allowed to survive and or live to return so as he could warn others to stay away.
    Last edited by Mike; 14th September 2018 at 19:23. Reason: fixed video

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

avid (20th August 2017), BMJ (13th September 2017), boja (20th August 2017), Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), Did You See Them (20th August 2017), Ewan (21st August 2017), findingneo (20th August 2017), Flash (14th September 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th August 2017), gaiagirl (24th August 2017), Lefty Dave (20th August 2017), Mike (13th September 2018), Molly4US (24th August 2017), muxfolder (20th August 2017), Nasu (20th August 2017), seko (20th August 2017), Spellbound (20th August 2017), Spiral (20th August 2017), syrwong (20th August 2017), TelosianEmbrace (9th September 2019), thepainterdoug (15th September 2018), Tommy Roxx (27th October 2021), uzn (24th August 2017), william r sanford72 (20th August 2017), Zampano (20th August 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 times in 476 posts

Default Re: Abductions on the Island of Sulawesi Indonesia by Alan Lamers

He was the only one of the group of hikers who could see these little people and horse size animals. I think maybe being able to see them, saved him. Dimensional and perhaps out of the normal spectrum of light most humans can see perhaps.They take some people, and give some back. Sounds like in that video, the colour yellow perhaps easily penetrates that dimension, and attracts the attention of whatever bit the guy on the leg who had the yellow socks on, and black perhaps makes the humans more invisible to them.
    Last edited by findingneo; 20th August 2017 at 07:16.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to findingneo For This Post:

BMJ (13th September 2017), boja (20th August 2017), Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), Did You See Them (20th August 2017), DNA (20th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (20th August 2017), gaiagirl (24th August 2017), Jackson (19th June 2019), Nasu (20th August 2017), Spellbound (24th August 2017), Spiral (20th August 2017), Valerie Villars (6th June 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,648 times in 1,409 posts

Quote Posted by findingneo (here)
    He was the only one of the group of hikers who could see these little people and horse size animals. I think maybe being able to see them, saved him. Dimensional and perhaps out of the normal spectrum of light most humans can see perhaps.They take some people, and give some back. Sounds like in that video, the colour yellow perhaps easily penetrates that dimension, and attracts the attention of whatever bit the guy on the leg who had the yellow socks on, and black perhaps makes the humans more invisible to them.
    Odd tidbit, yellow is right at the centre of the part of the electromagnetic spectrum we can see with our eyes.

Black & white are opposites in that black is an absence of colour & white is all the colours, so neither is actually part of the colour spectrum, which goes from infra red to ultra violet

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Spiral For This Post:

avid (20th August 2017), BMJ (13th September 2017), Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), DNA (20th August 2017), findingneo (7th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (20th August 2017), Mike (14th September 2018), mojo (24th August 2017), Nasu (20th August 2017), sunwings (21st August 2017), Valerie Villars (6th June 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

So there is a mythology about a race of little people who live in the Jungle's of Mexico known as the Cheneque. Pronounced CHIN-A-K- .
    I only know about them because of a co-worker from three years ago who while informing me about them swore they were real based on his uncle's personal encounter with them.
    They are known as a race of little people connected to bodies of water or running water in the jungles of Mexico.
    They are a small diminutive people with the bodies of small children and the faces of old people.
    They are regarded as dangerous, people often go missing and or disappear as a result of them according to folklore.

This is my friend's story in so far as it relates to his uncle.

My uncle lived in a small village at the bottom of a mountain that relied on wells and such for water.
    They depended on the rain to irrigate their crops, and one year the city decided they needed ditch dug from a body of water up on the mountain so they could irrigate their crops. My uncle was chosen and paid to do it.
    After working on the project for a week, he said he woke up from a deep sleep to the sound of children playing.
    He said he went to investigate and he saw these small diminutive people with the bodies of children and the faces of old people playing.
    These people were singing and dancing and holding hands while forming a circle, he said before he had known it was happening he was inside the circle and he was very fearful for his life because he knew these were the Chenaque.
    He said he then woke up many miles from where he had been camping, and that this frightened him a great deal. He then returned to the village and refused to continue work on the project, because it is known that the Chenaque are not kind to those who molest the jungle and or mountain wilderness in any way.

I write this story because of how closely it relates to the initial story in the OP.

I was looking for a youtube video on the phenomenon but everything is in Spanish, apparently there are few to no videos in English.
    This one looked really good.
    If anyone speaks Spanish and wishes to give a brief summary in English it would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irp_iXOLkz0

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

BMJ (13th September 2017), Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), findingneo (7th January 2018), Foxie Loxie (24th August 2017), Mike (14th September 2018), mojo (24th August 2017), muxfolder (25th August 2017), uzn (24th August 2017)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,168 times in 1,747 posts

I posted some ancient megalithic artefacts from Sulawesi here:
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1175403

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to uzn For This Post:

BMJ (13th September 2017), Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), DNA (24th August 2017), Foxie Loxie (24th August 2017)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,211 times in 5,679 posts

Wow...just Wow.

Lamers also notes that people of exceptionally high intelligence seem to be favored by these so called djinn. This is consistent with the missing people in Paulides 411 cases.

Also, the man that was found alive in the jungle (from the 5 person party) was found 3 months later. He was emaciated and malnourished, but still remarkably alive....all thanks to - he claims - these djinn beings who kept returning to him time and again to give him tips on how to survive. It would be easy to suggest that this means these beings are sometimes compassionate, but i'm on guard against that assessment; we don't know their motivations in keeping this man alive. But it does need to be said that they will at times return people they've taken.

He was traumatized to the point of speechlessness for months. His memories are spotty, but he does recall being around a body of water. This may mean nothing, but water features heavily in all the 411 cases too

(Note: Strieber claims to have had experiences with identical beings in his upstate NY cabin, so it would appear that they aren't exclusive to Indonesia)

The yellow thing is interesting. I can't help but think of that scene in the original 'Predator' movie where Arnold realizes he can't be seen by the predator while covered in mud.

One thing that needs to be noted is this: whenever Lamers attempted to record a conversation with the missing man, his batteries would go dead. This suggests to me a constant djinn presence, around Lamers or the man or both of them (note: I've no idea what these beings are, I'm just using the term "djinn" because that's what the village people use)

I thought the way Lamers described the djinn movements was fascinating - they were very very fast, he said..and while moving appeared to disappear, appear again, disappear, appear etc, all as they made their way closer to a target. It may suggest a moving in and out of dimensions. It made me recall this scene in one of the other Predator movies:

One last thing: there was also a case of a man who was mauled by alligators and clearly dead. This was witnessed by some of the village people. He returned to the village 2 weeks later, fully healthy, claiming the djinn healed him....which totally freaked out the entire village.

There is a temptation to say these beings are good or evil; it would make it all that much easier to think about. But here we have examples of what appears to be good, despite all the abductions taking place. I imagine if earth animals could think like us, they'd be equally as confused (wait they've eaten my brothers but gone out of their way to keep me alive...what gives?) It's a mixed bag, and maybe we can guess that some of these beings are good and some not so good...-or- they're morally ambiguous...-or- it's simply an accepted societal norm of theirs to abduct humans - much like we do to animals - without regarding it as good or bad, just a necessity of some kind. Who knows? Or perhaps it's just deliberate mythmaking, as Keel may have suggested, with some psychological angle that's eluding us.
    Last edited by Mike; 14th September 2018 at 19:42.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

avid (14th September 2018), BMJ (5th June 2019), Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), DNA (14th September 2018), Spellbound (17th September 2018), Valerie Villars (14th September 2018)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    they're morally ambiguous...-or- it's simply an accepted societal norm of theirs to abduct humans - much like we do to animals - without regarding it as good or bad, just a necessity of some kind. Who knows? Or perhaps it's just deliberate mythmaking, as Keel may have suggested, with some psychological angle that's eluding us.
    I was thinking of the myth making angle as I was reading your take on keeping the one guy alive for three months and curing the mauled guy.
    It's hard to make a myth that keeps people from wondering into certain areas if you don't have any survivors telling tales of dread and woe.
    Even the guy who was kept alive couldn't speak for months as you have said and I"m sure no one wanted to suffer his same fate, I'm thinking that would keep more people away than if he was simply killed and vanished.

I'm going to have to re-read this thread and maybe listen to the material again.
    Going strictly by memory right now wasn't there in addition to the Djinn a race of little people who would leave mysterious cut and bite marks on people before leading them off to their doom? If so it could be that the Djinn in this area were not so responsible for the disappearances and deaths as the little people.
    These little people have an interdimensional quality to them and remind me quite a bit of Mexico's Chenaque.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

BMJ (5th June 2019), Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), Mike (14th September 2018), Valerie Villars (6th June 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,684 times in 8,938 posts

An acquaintance of mine, whom I have not seen for a while, went with a group of young Canadians in Indonesia, some 20 years ago, through an exchange program between young Canadians and young people in Indonesia.

They were sent to a small remote village, with about no contact with the outside world, no electricity, very remote.

The Canadian stayed there for a few months.

She said the village was way in all sort of dark magic, very frightening experience. At one point, the villagers did dark magic against her. She got extremely sick and almost passed away. The Canadian government had to repatriate her and the group with her, in order to save her, way before the end of the project.

She remained very traumatized from this experience. Never really wanting to speak about it.

All she told me was that it was the most frightening experience in her life, does not want to talk much about it. To this day, she wears black and grey mainly, but never told me why. Next time i see her (every 4-5 years) I will ask. In fact, I may ask much more about her experience.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

BMJ (5th June 2019), Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), DNA (14th September 2018), Mike (14th September 2018), onawah (14th September 2018), Spellbound (17th September 2018), Valerie Villars (5th June 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

I remembered reading about this in 2004 and was fascinated by it. I found the article.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ons-indonesia/

Quote Hobbit-Like Human Ancestor Found in Asia
    Scientists have found skeletons of a human species that grew no larger than a three-year-old modern child. The species lived with pygmy elephants and giant lizards on a remote island in Indonesia.

BY HILLARY MAYELL
    PUBLISHED OCTOBER 26, 2004

Scientists have found skeletons of a hobbit-like species of human that grew no larger than a three-year-old modern child. The tiny humans, who had skulls about the size of grapefruits, lived with pygmy elephants and Komodo dragons on a remote island in Indonesia 18,000 years ago.

Australian and Indonesian researchers discovered bones of the miniature humans in a cave on Flores, an island east of Bali and midway between Asia and Australia.

Scientists have determined that the first skeleton they found belongs to a species of human completely new to science. Named Homo floresiensis, after the island on which it was found, the tiny human has also been dubbed by dig workers as the "hobbit," after the tiny creatures from the Lord of the Ringsbooks.

The original skeleton, a female, stood at just 1 meter (3.3 feet) tall, weighed about 25 kilograms (55 pounds), and was around 30 years old at the time of her death 18,000 years ago.

The skeleton was found in the same sediment deposits on Flores that have also been found to contain stone tools and the bones of dwarf elephants, giant rodents, and Komodo dragons, lizards that can grow to 10 feet (3 meters) and that still live today.

Homo floresienses has been described as one of the most spectacular discoveries in paleoanthropology in half a century—and the most extreme human ever discovered.

The species inhabited Flores as recently as 13,000 years ago, which means it would have lived at the same time as modern humans, scientists say.

"To find that as recently as perhaps 13,000 years ago, there was another upright, bipedal—although small-brained—creature walking the planet at the same time as modern humans is as exciting as it was unexpected," said Peter Brown, a paleoanthropologist at the University of New England in New South Wales, Australia.

Brown is a co-author of the study describing the findings, which appears in the October 28 issue of the science journal Nature. The National Geographic Society's Committee for Research and Exploration has sponsored research related to the discovery. The find will be covered in greater detail in a documentary airing early next year on the National Geographic Channel.

"It is totally unexpected," said Chris Stringer, director of the Human Origins program at the Natural History Museum in London. "To have early humans on the remote island of Flores is surprising enough. That some are only about a meter tall with a chimp-size brain is even more remarkable. That they were still there less than 20,000 years ago, and [that] modern humans must have met them, is astonishing."

The researchers estimate that the tiny people lived on Flores from about 95,000 years ago until at least 13,000 years ago. The scientists base their theory on charred bones and stone tools found on the island. The blades, perforators, points, and other cutting and chopping utensils were apparently used to hunt big game.

In an accompanying Nature commentary, Marta Mirazón Lahr and Robert Foley, both with the Leverhulme Centre for Human Evolutionary Studies at the University of Cambridge, England, describe Homo floresiensis as changing our understanding of late human evolutionary geography, biology, and culture.

The discovery shows that the genus Homo is more varied and more flexible in its ability to adapt than previously thought. (The genus Homoalso includes modern humans, Homo erectus, Homo habilis, and Neandertals—all of which are marked by relatively large braincases, erect posture, opposable thumbs, and the ability to make tools.)

"Homo floresiensis is an addition to the short list of other human species that lived at the same time as modern humans. I think people will be surprised to learn that not so long ago, we were not alone," said Brown.

Lost World of Tiny People
    Despite its smaller body size, smaller brain, and mixture of primitive and advanced anatomical features, the new species falls firmly within the genus Homo. The researchers speculate that the hobbit and her peers evolved from a normal-size, island-hopping Homo erectus population that reached Flores around 840,000 years ago.

"Physically, they were about the size of a three-year old Homo sapiens [modern human] child, but with a braincase only one-third as large," said Richard Roberts, a geochronologist at the University of Wollongong, Australia, and one on the co-authors of the research paper. "They had slightly longer arms than us. More conspicuously, they had hard, thicker eyebrow ridges than us, a sharply sloping forehead, and no chin."

"While they don't look like modern humans, some of their behaviors were surprisingly human," said Brown, the study co-author.

The Flores people used fire in hearths for cooking and hunted stegodon, a primitive dwarf elephant found on the island. Although small, the stegodon still weighed about 1,000 kilograms (2,200 pounds), and would pose a significant challenge to a hunter the size of a three-year-old modern human child. Hunting must have required joint communication and planning, the researchers say.

Almost all of the stegodon bones associated with the human artifacts are of juveniles, suggesting the tiny humans selectively hunted the smallest stegodons. The Flores humans' diets also included fish, frogs, snakes, tortoises, birds, and rodents.

"The hobbit was nobody's fool," Roberts said. "They survived alongside us [Homo sapiens] for at least 30,000 years, and we're not known for being very amiable eco-companions. And the hobbits were managing some extraordinary things—manufacturing sophisticated stone tools, hunting pygmy elephants, and crossing at least two water barriers to reach Flores from mainland Asia—with a brain only one-third the size of ours.

"Given that Homo floresiensis is the smallest human species ever discovered, they out-punch every known human intellectually, pound for pound."

Both the tiny humans and the dwarfed elephants appear to have become extinct at about the same time as the result of a major volcanic eruption.

Mingling of the Human Tribes
    There is no evidence of modern humans reaching Flores before 11,000 years ago, so it is unknown whether the hobbit intermingled with modern humans. The researchers found hobbit and pygmy stegodon remains only below a 12,000-year-old volcanic ash layer. Modern human remains were found only above the layer.

Still, rumors, myths, and legends of tiny creatures have swirled around the isolated island for centuries. It's certainly possible that they interacted with modern humans, according to the researchers.

"Looked at from a regional perspective, we definitely have modern humans in Australia from at least 40,000 years ago, and in Borneo from at least 43,000 years ago," Roberts said. "So there was temporal overlap between the hobbits and ourselves from at least 40,000 years ago until at least 18,000 years ago—more than 20,000 years minimum. What was the nature of their interaction? We have absolutely no idea. We need more sites and more hard evidence, and that's the next phase of our investigation."

Island Dwarfing
    Researchers are also anxious to investigate how and why the hobbits came to be so small. When scientists discovered the hobbit remains, they thought it was the skeleton of a child. There was no record of human adults that were that small. Modern pygmies are considerably taller at about 1.4 to 1.5 meters (4.6 to nearly 5 feet) tall.

"H. floresiensis presents an intriguing problem in evolutionary biology," Brown said.

The most likely explanation is that, over thousands of years, the species became smaller because environmental conditions favored smaller body size. Dwarfing of mammals on islands is a well-known process and seen worldwide. Islands frequently provide a limited food supply, few predators, and few species competing for the same environmental niche. Survival would depend on minimizing daily energy requirements.

But there is no absolute proof that this is what in fact happened with this small human.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), DNA (14th September 2018), Mike (14th September 2018), Spellbound (17th September 2018)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 53,684 times in 8,938 posts

Quote Posted by DNA (here)
    So there is a mythology about a race of little people who live in the Jungle's of Mexico known as the Cheneque. Pronounced CHIN-A-K- .
    I only know about them because of a co-worker from three years ago who while informing me about them swore they were real based on his uncle's personal encounter with them.
    They are known as a race of little people connected to bodies of water or running water in the jungles of Mexico.
    They are a small diminutive people with the bodies of small children and the faces of old people.
    They are regarded as dangerous, people often go missing and or disappear as a result of them according to folklore.

This is my friend's story in so far as it relates to his uncle.

My uncle lived in a small village at the bottom of a mountain that relied on wells and such for water.
    They depended on the rain to irrigate their crops, and one year the city decided they needed ditch dug from a body of water up on the mountain so they could irrigate their crops. My uncle was chosen and paid to do it.
    After working on the project for a week, he said he woke up from a deep sleep to the sound of children playing.
    He said he went to investigate and he saw these small diminutive people with the bodies of children and the faces of old people playing.
    These people were singing and dancing and holding hands while forming a circle, he said before he had known it was happening he was inside the circle and he was very fearful for his life because he knew these were the Chenaque.
    He said he then woke up many miles from where he had been camping, and that this frightened him a great deal. He then returned to the village and refused to continue work on the project, because it is known that the Chenaque are not kind to those who molest the jungle and or mountain wilderness in any way.

I write this story because of how closely it relates to the initial story in the OP.

I was looking for a youtube video on the phenomenon but everything is in Spanish, apparently there are few to no videos in English.
    This one looked really good.
    If anyone speaks Spanish and wishes to give a brief summary in English it would be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irp_iXOLkz0

A little translation of the video for fun, but please forgive my probable mistakes at times.

The commentator speaks at the speed of light with some colloquial expressions I believe, and he is difficult to understand. Furthermore, Spanish is my third language, which I translate here into my second language (English). So, if there are few mistakes or grammatical weirdness, please forgive me.

For sure, if you live in the state of Veracruz in Mexico, Oaxaca, los Chiapas, you have heard of the Chanaques. Called the protectors of the mounts (or hill). It is said that those are being that never decided to side towards either God or towards the devil, and that they are glued to earth, because they are spirits whom didn’t get baptised.

But the most accepted belief is that they are elemental beings from nature, they pertain to the category of …… (not able to understand) whom have accompanied people since before the pre-hispanic times, and cultures like the Olmecs considered them as ……. And they received from the some of the villages numerous gifts and ceremonies.

The word Chanaque means “those that inhabits dangerous places”. These beings chose to inhabit cracks, ravines and other difficult places to access for people.

What they look like depends on the stories. Some say that they wear white clothes and hats made of palm leaves. In other regions, it is said that they are completely naked, and a large flying gentlemen (or knight) (una volante caballera larga, descansos) landing (or resting) and they have ……(something I do not understand) the beast (el res) , (con la intention de desviar su rostro) with the intention to hide his traces . In other places they are described as children with old faces (not sure for old).

What is consistent is that they are small beings, not more than 70 cm high, so when it is time to run…… (a word I do not understand).
    Their attitude is usually quite friendly and playful, but be careful. It is known that they have a very bad character if they are provoked.

From that, be afraid to lose people, meaning a person walks peacefully when suddenly, because of a distraction, the person lose her path (her way). Disoriented is when we say a Chanaque has made her lose her path.

A solution following some, if to wear one’s clothes inside out. That would break the spell and one’s house could be found again.
    Also, they have the habit to cover and kidnap children, very small children who are outside or who are sleeping.

Many times the children have been found in impossible places. Within a pile of trees, on the house’s roof, or a tree branch. It is also said that some children are never found, having been taken permanently by those beings.

As it is told in a Popoluca legend, one child had been carried by Chanaques in a cave, where he was fed only fruits, obliged to live and play with them for a long time. Those beings schooled him in things like astronomy, medicine and mathematics. Letting him free later, it is said that the child returned to his village or origin, with a great knowledge. Following the legend, lot of years had passed and his parents had become old.

Following the popular beliefs of many, many think that the belief of wearing one’s clothe inside out, is a way to resist them, as well as some grains that you put on the window border (silt I think in English) and on the door entrance, helping to keep them away.

Many people say they have seen them playing joyfully at night, between the branches of mango trees or early in the morning in lagunes. They have listen mostly to a scandalous laugh.

Even today, those beings are part of the Mexican south folklore, despite modernised society, those represent the stories of our grand-fathers.

Who knows, maybe you will be lost somewhere and will have to wear your clothes inside out.
    How to let the desire of your mind become the desire of your heart - Gurdjieff

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Post:

BMJ (5th June 2019), Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), DNA (14th September 2018), Mike (14th September 2018), Tommy Roxx (27th October 2021), Valerie Villars (14th September 2018)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,211 times in 5,679 posts

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

BMJ (5th June 2019), Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), DNA (5th June 2019), Valerie Villars (5th June 2019)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike (here)

I appreciate this Mike.

A transparent attempt to say lets focus on some good ole fashion mysteries with a combo topic of cryptids meets David Paulides.

Excellent job my friend. You picked a good one let me tell you.
    Thanks.

You always know what to say to a guy.
    Last edited by DNA; 6th June 2019 at 04:21.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (6th June 2019), Mike (6th June 2019), Valerie Villars (6th June 2019)

+ Reply to Thread