+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Somewhere In Time: the book by Richard Matheson, then a movie

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,397 times in 1,674 posts

Default Re: Somewhere In Time: the book by Richard Matheson, then a movie

Quote Posted by Merry Mom (here)
    Jack Finney's sequel to Time and Again was called From Time to Time. It contains what I consider a possible explanation of the Mandela Effect, based on two people time traveling to change the outcome of the Titanic voyage. In the book, some people remember JFK's second term, the Titanic docking in New York, etc. I alternate between surprise and frustration that we have made it to 2017, with the majority of people appearing to accept the status quo. I keep thinking that this isn't what I signed up for. Would John Lennon have Watched the Wheels for 37 more years?
    Somewhat off topic (apologies in advance) but interesting: Somewhere In Time has always been a favorite movie of mine; reading through this thread inspired me to watch it again last night (it's been years since I've seen it; maybe as far back as the 1990s or early 2000s...). Watching it through this time, I may have experienced my own "Mandela Effect"; I distinctly remember a scene in the movie, when the character Richard Collier first meets McKenna by knocking on her hotel door (in that version Collier is a complete stranger to her and she is taken aback (naturally); she is at first standoffish, which requires a little more persistence from Collier to win over her affections. Specifically, I clearly remember one line from the movie that was no longer there: Collier said, quote, "please don't do that, Ms. McKenna (as she goes to close the door on him)... you have no idea how far I've come..." That one line had such an impact on me when I first saw the movie that I have remembered it ever since. And that's when she says, "are you the one?"

It could very well be that I watched an edited version of the movie last night, or maybe the line is still there and I just missed it (I have not sat through the scene a second time looking for it, thanks to the clumsiness of the fire stick), but I just thought it was odd that it appeared as if the scenes had changed and the one distinctive memory I had of the movie was no longer there ... Anybody else familiar with the movie remember that one line???

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

Constance (12th June 2019), Smell the Roses (11th September 2017)

3. Link to Post #22
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 times in 476 posts

I do recall hearing that or similar T Smith and I only watched it for the first time in the last week.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to findingneo For This Post:

anandacate (10th September 2017), Smell the Roses (11th September 2017), T Smith (10th September 2017)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,397 times in 1,674 posts

Quote Posted by findingneo (here)
    I do recall hearing that or similar T Smith and I only watched it for the first time in the last week.
    Hmmm... I must have watched an edited version then. i'm going to look through another stream to see if I can find it...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

findingneo (10th September 2017), Smell the Roses (11th September 2017)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Quote Posted by T Smith (here)
    Hmmm... I must have watched an edited version then. I'm going to look through another stream to see if I can find it...
    Screenplays here. I've not looked through these to see if they're the same... sometimes uploaded screenplays aren't necessarily the final produced version.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Constance (12th June 2019), T Smith (12th September 2017)

9. Link to Post #25
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 times in 476 posts

I saw it on the link you provided Bill, but your link expired soon after.

10. Link to Post #26
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

I saw it on the link you provided Bill, but your link expired soon after.
    Re-uploaded: valid till 17 Sept.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Constance (12th June 2019), findingneo (12th September 2017), HaveBlue (12th September 2017), Raven (10th September 2017), T Smith (12th September 2017)

12. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,002 times in 243 posts

She asks that question out by the tree along the lake. She specifically says:

"Is it you?"

It is also exactly what she says in the book. Page 142 of the 1998 TOR paperback edition. This is also the way it was when I first saw the film the day it opened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6clQtZXhznM

Quote Posted by T Smith (here)
    Quote Posted by Merry Mom (here)
    Jack Finney's sequel to Time and Again was called From Time to Time. It contains what I consider a possible explanation of the Mandela Effect, based on two people time traveling to change the outcome of the Titanic voyage. In the book, some people remember JFK's second term, the Titanic docking in New York, etc. I alternate between surprise and frustration that we have made it to 2017, with the majority of people appearing to accept the status quo. I keep thinking that this isn't what I signed up for. Would John Lennon have Watched the Wheels for 37 more years?
    Somewhat off topic (apologies in advance) but interesting: Somewhere In Time has always been a favorite movie of mine; reading through this thread inspired me to watch it again last night (it's been years since I've seen it; maybe as far back as the 1990s or early 2000s...). Watching it through this time, I may have experienced my own "Mandela Effect"; I distinctly remember a scene in the movie, when the character Richard Collier first meets McKenna by knocking on her hotel door (in that version Collier is a complete stranger to her and she is taken aback (naturally); she is at first standoffish, which requires a little more persistence from Collier to win over her affections. Specifically, I clearly remember one line from the movie that was no longer there: Collier said, quote, "please don't do that, Ms. McKenna (as she goes to close the door on him)... you have no idea how far I've come..." That one line had such an impact on me when I first saw the movie that I have remembered it ever since. And that's when she says, "are you the one?"

It could very well be that I watched an edited version of the movie last night, or maybe the line is still there and I just missed it (I have not sat through the scene a second time looking for it, thanks to the clumsiness of the fire stick), but I just thought it was odd that it appeared as if the scenes had changed and the one distinctive memory I had of the movie was no longer there ... Anybody else familiar with the movie remember that one line???
    Last edited by WalterBosley; 11th September 2017 at 07:55.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WalterBosley For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th September 2017), Constance (16th December 2018), findingneo (12th September 2017), T Smith (13th September 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2