+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yesterday's Enterprise

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Smell the Roses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 times in 285 posts

Smile Yesterday's Enterprise

We rewatched the Star Trek: TNG episode "Yesterday's Enterprise" today. I really related to Guinan on this watch, more than ever before. In this episode, a time rift sends the Enterprise-D into a different version of history, in which they have been at war with the Klingons for decades. Guinan knows things are off, but asks Picard to make life or death time travel decisions based solely on her intuition. How many of us feel like this version of history is not the one we should be in?

https://youtu.be/nsRXX3daLPQ

PICARD: I need more.
    GUINAN: There is no more. I wish there were. I wish I could prove it. But I can't.
    PICARD: Then I can't ask them to go back.
    GUINAN: You've got to.
    PICARD: Guinan, they will die moments after they return. How can I ask them to sacrifice themselves based solely on your intuition?
    GUINAN: I don't know. But I do know that this is a mistake. Every fibre in my being says this is a mistake. I can't explain it to myself so I can't explain it to you. I only know that I'm right.
    PICARD: Who is to say that this history is any less proper than the other?
    GUINAN: I suppose I am.
    PICARD: Not good enough, damn it. Not good enough. I will not ask them to die.
    GUINAN: Forty billion people have already died. This war's not supposed to be happening. You've got to send those people back to correct this.
    PICARD: And what is to guarantee that if they go back they will succeed? Every instinct tells me this is wrong, it is dangerous, it is futile.
    GUINAN: We've known each other a long time. You have never known me to impose myself on anyone or take a stance based on trivial or whimsical perceptions. This time line must not be allowed to continue. Now, I've told you what you must do. You have only your trust in me to help you decide to do it.

http://www.chakoteya.net/NextGen/163.htm

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

Daozen (11th September 2017), KiwiElf (11th September 2017), Star Tsar (11th September 2017)

3. Link to Post #2
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 times in 476 posts

Default Re: Yesterday's Enterprise

"Merde", I wish that was still going, loved Picarde at the helm.

I think this time line was hijacked a long time ago Merry Mom. A loooooonng time ago.

I have watched all the mainstream episodes, of all Star Trek's, I think.

I always felt a sense of loss when each series finished. Ok, so I was a little attached. Loved them.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to findingneo For This Post:

KiwiElf (11th September 2017), Smell the Roses (11th September 2017)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Yes, we periodically do a rewatch starting from the beginning of each series and progressing through in order. We haven't restarted a series lately, because we are waiting for "Star Trek:Discovery" to start. I hope it is true to the rest of the franchise, because I got a feeling they might try to hijack it for political points or some such nonsense.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

Daozen (11th September 2017), findingneo (12th September 2017), fourty-two (13th September 2017), KiwiElf (11th September 2017)

7. Link to Post #4
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

One of my favourite ST-TNG episodes, Merry Mom (and generally one of the fan-favourites). Interesting concepts, not limited to time paradoxes & parallel realities (and to answer your original question, "How many of us feel like this version of history is not the one we should be in?" - YES - frequently!

I posted this on another thread regarding ST Discovery ...

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...ptember-on-FOX

...and unfortunately, there are some little-known and very complex "political" issues with STAR TREK licensing since [all] the TV series finished & the introduction of the Abrams' Movie Reboots, particularly concerning the dystopian direction STAR TREK took with the reboots and appears to be taking with DISCOVERY (the almost opposite of Gene Roddenberry's original concept). This video explains it:

Last edited by KiwiElf; 11th September 2017 at 20:48.

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

Netflix has them ALL in the browse under Sci-Fi.
    Enjoy I do. Only 15 bucks for ALL access line of movies, much cheaper than cable.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

KiwiElf (5th October 2017), Smell the Roses (2nd October 2017)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,784 times in 3,539 posts

From what I understand Discovery is about the ET contact with Earth publicly in our space, then with Embassadors at UN, and Religious affiliations. How people handle the truth to move forward. The reaction to it by viewing it, will determine if "man is truly awake and aware for evolution in peace among the stars.
    Surely they see what's going on now. A stand off between NK and US. US has to learn to share power in the world, not over the world.
    5 rising nations are coming along. Africa, China, Russia, India Australia, and many other already armed nations. If they don't choose peace, then they are "madmen and must be stopped at all cost." No fair hiding below ground or Antarctica.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lifebringer For This Post:

KiwiElf (2nd October 2017), Smell the Roses (2nd October 2017)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lifebringer (here)
    From what I understand Discovery is about the ET contact with Earth publicly in our space, then with Embassadors at UN, and Religious affiliations. How people handle the truth to move forward. The reaction to it by viewing it, will determine if "man is truly awake and aware for evolution in peace among the stars.
    Surely they see what's going on now. A stand off between NK and US. US has to learn to share power in the world, not over the world.
    5 rising nations are coming along. Africa, China, Russia, India Australia, and many other already armed nations. If they don't choose peace, then they are "madmen and must be stopped at all cost." No fair hiding below ground or Antarctica.
    That's similar to what my husband said after we watched the first episode of Discovery. He was talking about the Roswell cover-up and things afterward being engineered as tests to determine whether humanity can rise above conflict or some such thing. It seems plausible to me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

KiwiElf (2nd October 2017)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by KiwiElf (here)
    One of my favourite ST-TNG episodes, Merry Mom (and generally one of the fan-favourites). Interesting concepts, not limited to time paradoxes & parallel realities (and to answer your original question, "How many of us feel like this version of history is not the one we should be in?" - YES - frequently!

I posted this on another thread regarding ST Discovery ...

https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...ptember-on-FOX

...and unfortunately, there are some little-known and very complex "political" issues with STAR TREK licensing since [all] the TV series finished & the introduction of the Abrams' Movie Reboots, particularly concerning the dystopian direction STAR TREK took with the reboots and appears to be taking with DISCOVERY (the almost opposite of Gene Roddenberry's original concept). This video explains it:

Thank you for this video. I finally was able to watch it. It makes so much more sense to know that they are claiming a different timeline and universe. I wish they had put this as part of the description, but I guess they assume that anyone who cares enough about continuity is also extensively tuned into the behind the scenes' info.
    There's no time like the present.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

KiwiElf (3rd October 2017)

+ Reply to Thread