+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Electric buses violently catching fire

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,252 times in 4,077 posts

Default Electric buses violently catching fire

There have been a few stories over the last few years of electric vehicles violently catching fire. In the last half a year or so this does not seem to be decreasing, and now it seems electric busses have been doing the same.... this time it's burning tax payer money not the pocket of a rich person who made their own personal choice.

The Rotting Corpse of EddieLowFilthSlayer
    @SpiritEddieLow

🚨|BREAKING NEWS|🚨

Plumes of smoke seen for MILES in London as 5 buses EXPLODE INTO FLAMES 😱😱

It’s not Terrorists, they are ELECTRIC BUSES 🧐

Just 10 of these death traps cost the Taxpayers £26MILLION, so that equates to £13MILLION of our money literally up in flames 🚎🔥
    <image link>

Sir pointsofme MBE, OBE
    @pointsofme Replying to @SpiritEddieLow

Question for environmental studies exams- How many miles would a diesel bus need to travel to produce the same amount of pollution as 5 exploded electric buses?

This isn't the only story of electric busses violently catching fire (from the comments of that twitter thread): https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/11/...s-fire-hazard/

Quote E-Vehicle Woes: German Cities Remove E-Buses From Service After Bursting In Flames: “Fire Hazard”
    7 months ago Guest Blogger
    Reposted from the NoTricksZone

By P Gosselin on 7. November 2021

E-buses in Germany a “fire hazard” as batteries can heat up to 1000°C. German cities taking vehicles out of service as a precaution.

Even after years of fine-tuning, electric vehicle manufacturers still seem unable to get e-vehicle technology to work as safely as it needs to for personal and public transportation.

German media, for example here, report that currently electric buses are being withdrawn from service in cities because they pose a fire hazard. Earlier in June of this year in Hanover, Germany, a major fire destroyed nine buses belonging to the Üstra transport company and so the company took the remaining buses out of service until the exact cause is determined.

“Not just the case in Hanover, it is becoming increasingly common for electric vehicles to be removed from service in cities, and the reasons are often down to a common cause: Fire safety,” reports the online MK.

Stuttgart withdraw buses from service after fire

The Stuttgart transport authority also took buses out of service after an electric bus fire destroyed 25 vehicles. The MK also reports that the city of Regensburg also removed the same kind of electric bus from service for fear of fire.

According to the MK, the problem is the extremes heat generated by the vehicle’s batteries, which can reach temperatures of 1000°C due to “thermal runaway”.

15-meter safe parking distance

“In the process, the lithium-ion batteries release energy in an uncontrolled manner,” reports the MK. “For the same reason, electric cars also repeatedly catch fire. The first e-cars are now only allowed to park at a distance of 15 meters because of the risk of fire.”

Related side issues
    There are also other issues with the promise of electric vehicles: the battery becomes useless after a number of years, and must be 'thrown away'/given to 3rd world countries so they can salvage materials for us to build new ones. This is a paradigm shift, where you can't repair your vehicle after a number of years and instead MUST replace the battery. Add in the irony that electric power is generated from consumption of other fuels (see meme image).

But before we get to those issues we have the problem of millions of pounds of taxpayer money spent on vehicles that violently set themselves alight.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Anchor (24th May 2022), Ba-ba-Ra (23rd May 2022), Brigantia (23rd May 2022), Eva2 (23rd May 2022), Ewan (24th May 2022), Harmony (23rd May 2022), Inversion (23rd May 2022), Johnnycomelately (25th May 2022), justntime2learn (23rd May 2022), Mari (23rd May 2022), Mark (Star Mariner) (23rd May 2022), Miller (6th June 2023), Nasu (5th July 2023), O Donna (23rd May 2022), onawah (23rd May 2022), onevoice (23rd May 2022), Reinhard (27th May 2022), RunningDeer (23rd May 2022), Snoweagle (24th May 2022), Spiral (27th May 2022), Sunny (23rd May 2022), Suzi E (23rd May 2022), thepainterdoug (24th May 2022), Violet3 (24th May 2022), WhiteFeather (28th May 2022)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 times in 806 posts

Default Re: Electric buses violently catching fire

@Matthew

Battery powered electric car is a giant scam. Green energy using solar panel and wind turbine are another scam too. But how many people aware of it and try to fix it?
    Last edited by Hughe; 23rd May 2022 at 22:16.
    For free society!

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Anchor (24th May 2022), avid (24th May 2022), Brigantia (24th May 2022), Ewan (24th May 2022), Ioneo (23rd May 2022), Johnnycomelately (25th May 2022), Matthew (24th May 2022), Nasu (5th July 2023), onawah (23rd May 2022), Patient (5th July 2023), Reinhard (27th May 2022), RunningDeer (23rd May 2022), Snoweagle (24th May 2022), Spiral (27th May 2022), Sunny (24th May 2022), thepainterdoug (24th May 2022), Violet3 (24th May 2022)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,831 times in 3,731 posts

Quote Posted by Hughe (here)

@Matthew

Battery powered electric car is a giant scam. Green energy using solar panel and wind turbine are another scam too. But how many people aware of it and try to fix it?
    I have a Nissan Leaf it is awesome!

I charge my scam car from scam Solar energy and I don't pay for diesel and am therefore I am less concerned about potential diesel shortages. It is saving me a lot of scam fiat as well as I am needing to do about 150km per week for various reasons at the moment.

Fun fact: 90% of the plastic in my Nissan Leaf is sourced from recycled plastic.

Best scam ever.
    Last edited by Anchor; 24th May 2022 at 09:53.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

avid (24th May 2022), Dorjezigzag (6th July 2023), Isserley (6th June 2023), Johnnycomelately (25th May 2022), Matthew (27th May 2022), Reinhard (27th May 2022), Strat (6th July 2023), Sunray (24th May 2022)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Anchor (here)

I charge my scam car from scam Solar energy and I don't pay for diesel and am therefore I am less concerned about potential diesel shortages. It is saving me a lot of scam fiat as well as I am needing to do about 150km per week for various reasons at the moment.

That's a great position to be in! I would be more attracted by the independence of not relying on petrol stations than the overblown environmental 'saving'.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

Anchor (28th May 2022), Johnnycomelately (27th May 2022)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks

This happened over a year ago: a ship carrying electric vehicles caught fire. The report says tackling the fire was tricky because water does not put out lithium-ion battery fires.

Porsche said they'll build new cars to replace the burnt ones, as I imagine the other manufacturers will. Hardly an environmental win. But as we know environmental issues are a shallow virtue, and with this fire nobody actually cares about the environment only if the cars will be replaced.

Quote March 11th, 2022
    Ship carrying 4,000 luxury cars sinks in Atlantic after fire

However, lithium-ion batteries in the electric vehicles on board kept the fire burning. Firefighters were only able to tackle the fire from the outside by cooling down the ship’s structure as it was too dangerous to go onboard. They also couldn’t use water, because traditional water extinguishers do not stop lithium-ion batteries from burning.

A salvage team boarded the drifting ship by helicopter and eventually put the fire out, the ship’s manager MOL Ship Management says in a statement. A tow line was connected and a salvage tug began towing it to the Azores. The Felicity Ace listed to starboard and then sank while being towed.
    There has been no official comment yet from European carmakers on which exact models were on board, and how many, but analysis by risk modelling company Russell estimates the value of goods onboard at around US$438m, including US$401m of vehicles.

Angus Fitton, vice-president of PR at Porsche Cars North America, told the Associated Press in an email: “We are already working to replace every car affected by this incident and the first new cars will be built soon.”
    https://marineindustrynews.co.uk/shi...tic-after-fire

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matthew For This Post:

avid (6th June 2023), Brigantia (6th June 2023), Miller (6th June 2023), Nasu (5th July 2023)

11. Link to Post #6
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 126,572 times in 20,982 posts

Exclamation Re: Electric buses violently catching fire

• All Kinds of Electric Vehicles Catching Fire Compilation:

If you ever come close to this situation anywhere, DO NOT INHALE THE SMOKE coming from the fire ... it may be deadly! ... Even when it dissipates a bit and less thick, it still contains very toxic elements! ... Depending on the wind direction, you still could inhale some of it when you are further away!
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 5th July 2023 at 22:10.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Brigantia (6th July 2023), Nasu (5th July 2023), Orph (6th July 2023), Patient (5th July 2023)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by Anchor (here)
    Quote Posted by Hughe (here)

@Matthew

I have a Nissan Leaf it is awesome!

Fun fact: 90% of the plastic in my Nissan Leaf is sourced from recycled plastic.

Best scam ever.
    What kind of solar setup do you have? This is growing in popularity in FL. Solar power is on my to do list.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Post:

avid (6th July 2023)

+ Reply to Thread