+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Words words words, like 'gaslighting'?

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,284 times in 639 posts

Smile Words words words, like 'gaslighting'?

Hi people

"gaslighting" huh?

I had no clue of what it ment, feeling like a complete idiot I went to Wikipedia

"Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person or a group covertly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or group, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment."

wich is a great description, thanks Wikipedia!

But I couldnt let it go by that.

It was mentionend that it had it's origin from a film named Gaslight from 1944 with Ingrid Bergman.

I got the film and WoW!
    What a great film!

My problem now after watching the film understanding the true concept of what "gaslighting" is !
    but most people using the word today have no clue what the word means?

Comments please
    Last edited by Rawhide68; 6th February 2021 at 07:26.

2. The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Rawhide68 For This Post:

Agape (6th February 2021), Anna70 (6th February 2021), avid (6th February 2021), Bill Ryan (6th February 2021), Brenya (8th February 2021), Brigantia (6th February 2021), Deborah (ahamkara) (20th February 2021), Ernie Nemeth (6th February 2021), Franny (6th February 2021), gord (6th February 2021), Harmony (6th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021), Ioneo (7th February 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (6th February 2021), Journeyman (20th February 2021), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th February 2021), Matthew (6th February 2021), Mercedes (6th February 2021), Michi (7th February 2021), Reinhard (6th February 2021), Stephanie (7th February 2021), Sue (Ayt) (6th February 2021), Sunny-side-up (6th February 2021), Tintin (6th February 2021), toppy (6th February 2021), wondering (6th February 2021)

3. Link to Post #2
    Belgium Avalon Member Johan (Keyholder)'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,746 times in 531 posts

Default Re: Words words words, like 'gaslighting'?

Gaslighting goes very often together with people that are pathological narcissists. It's one of the "tricks of their trade".

From an article in "Psychology Today" (https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...nd-gaslighters)

6 Common Traits of Narcissists and Gaslighters: How narcissists and gaslighters emotionally manipulate and exploit victims.

1. Frequent Lies and Exaggerations
    2. Rarely Admit Flaws and Are Highly Aggressive When Criticized
    3. False Image Projection
    4. Rule Breaking and Boundary Violation
    5. Emotional Invalidation and Coercion
    6. Manipulation: The Use or Control of Others as an Extension of Oneself

In many, probably most cases, this type of people tend to search for jobs where they can use "power and control", by using the above "techniques" to continue to feed their (energy-)vampiric tendencies. Like the policeforce, doctors, teachers, the military, C*O's in large corporations, the clergy... and many others. This does not mean that all people there are like that of course. But it also gives the pathological narcissists a "cover", it makes it easy for them to blend in with the "good people" and continue their scavenger-like behavior.

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Johan (Keyholder) For This Post:

Brigantia (6th February 2021), Eva2 (6th February 2021), Franny (6th February 2021), gord (6th February 2021), Harmony (6th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021), Ioneo (7th February 2021), Mercedes (6th February 2021), Rawhide68 (6th February 2021), Reinhard (6th February 2021), Stephanie (7th February 2021), Sue (Ayt) (6th February 2021), Sunny-side-up (6th February 2021), Tintin (6th February 2021), yelik (6th February 2021)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,006 times in 904 posts

here is an older video by Sam Vaknin who apparently was the first to use the term gaslighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to meat suit For This Post:

Brigantia (6th February 2021), Harmony (6th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021), Rawhide68 (6th February 2021), Stephanie (7th February 2021), Sue (Ayt) (6th February 2021), yelik (6th February 2021)

7. Link to Post #4
    Albania Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Albanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,899 times in 467 posts

Gas and light = aura manipulation. It can be done without speaking a word. They project a fake reality and attach it to your aura.

Be aware that this world is under the influence (for a specified time) of The Deceiver (Satan), Archons, Fallen Angels, call it whatever you like. Try to protect yourself, your family and your small community, from various forms of deception, because evil has intensified in these years.
    Last edited by Eagle Eye; 6th February 2021 at 12:35.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Eagle Eye For This Post:

Angels1981 (7th February 2021), Brigantia (6th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021), Journeyman (20th February 2021), Mercedes (6th February 2021), NancyV (20th February 2021), Rawhide68 (6th February 2021), Reinhard (6th February 2021)

9. Link to Post #5
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,603 times in 673 posts

The idiots are those who don't look things up.

Zersetzung (wiki) is an exponentially more hideous version of gaslighting, because there's no target to aim back at, and it's unprovable, and even if those things weren't so, those who are behind it are completely unaccountable to anyone anyway.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Robert Duncan - occam's razor.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	46044
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gord For This Post:

Brigantia (6th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (6th February 2021), Rawhide68 (6th February 2021), rgray222 (7th February 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,977 times in 1,342 posts

I was fortunate to have grown up in an era when classic films were repeated on TV and I have seen Gaslight several times. Brilliant film, it's one of my favourites and is very atmospheric, creepy and tense.

Seeing as we have a generation who aren't taught English properly - I guess that the rules of grammar are 'too hard' - and they don't even know the proper definition of 'literally', it's not surprising that many bandy the term about with no inkling of its proper definition.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Brigantia For This Post:

gord (6th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (6th February 2021), Rawhide68 (6th February 2021), rgray222 (7th February 2021)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Thanks all for all your input

So if Individuals have this dysfunctional state of being, can a nation or the whole world be deceived in this manner without the population even being aware of it?

I know most of the people in power are psychopaths and sociopaths
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...and-sociopaths
    , so "gaslighting" adds a new flavour to it.

Here is an example of why I had to dive into this subject.

listen 2:39 "your beeing gaslit"

Last edited by Rawhide68; 6th February 2021 at 20:54.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rawhide68 For This Post:

Blastolabs (8th February 2021), Eva2 (6th February 2021), gord (6th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (7th February 2021), Sue (Ayt) (7th February 2021)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,603 times in 673 posts

Quote Posted by Rawhide68 (here)
    Thanks all for all your input

So if Individuals have this dysfunctional state of being, can a nation or the whole world be deceived in this manner without the population even being aware of it?

I know most of the people in power are psychopaths and sociopaths
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...and-sociopaths
    , so "gaslighting" adds a new flavour to it.

Here is an example of why I had to dive into this subject.

listen 2:39 "your beeing gaslit"

This guy is really good at being sarcastic without being overly offensive. I can be sarcastic as hell, but I've learned that I have a very strong tendency to be viciously and caustically sarcastic, which just makes people run for cover and shut down, so as a result, I've also acquired a tendency to not say much. <shrug> It is what it is.

Good thread Rawhide68
    The only place a perfect right angle ever CAN be, is the mind.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gord For This Post:

Eva2 (7th February 2021), Hym (6th February 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (7th February 2021), Rawhide68 (7th February 2021)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,758 times in 2,555 posts

Quote Posted by Johan (Keyholder) (here)
    Gaslighting goes very often together with people that are pathological narcissists. It's one of the "tricks of their trade".

From an article in "Psychology Today" (https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...nd-gaslighters)

6 Common Traits of Narcissists and Gaslighters: How narcissists and gaslighters emotionally manipulate and exploit victims.

1. Frequent Lies and Exaggerations
    2. Rarely Admit Flaws and Are Highly Aggressive When Criticized
    3. False Image Projection
    4. Rule Breaking and Boundary Violation
    5. Emotional Invalidation and Coercion
    6. Manipulation: The Use or Control of Others as an Extension of Oneself

In many, probably most cases, this type of people tend to search for jobs where they can use "power and control", by using the above "techniques" to continue to feed their (energy-)vampiric tendencies. Like the policeforce, doctors, teachers, the military, C*O's in large corporations, the clergy... and many others. This does not mean that all people there are like that of course. But it also gives the pathological narcissists a "cover", it makes it easy for them to blend in with the "good people" and continue their scavenger-like behavior.
    Great analysis of how these "minds" operate. I am very familiar with the listed red flags - been on the receiving end of this abuse in an office environment. A couple of other points/traits that can be included in the list of behaviours/traits that an abusive narcissist(s) will use is.
    'When you have started standing up to the narcissist, they will respond by gathering an "army" of whoever can be recruited against you.' Telling lies, twisting facts, flipping scripts, and "one side of the story", is part and parcel of this'.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eva2 For This Post:

Anka (6th February 2021), gord (7th February 2021), Harmony (7th February 2021), Hym (7th February 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (7th February 2021), Rawhide68 (7th February 2021)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,036 times in 911 posts

My first remembrance of the term is not what this is known for now.
    Me and my friends knew it as something quite different.....

Also, my first thought of it these days is the work of all the lies that people
    in advertising, politics, the film writers and producers, even the entertainment liaison officers, ELO's, from the military assigned to pay station managers and reporters, with receipts, for manipulating scripts and the news, as well as the intel agency keyboard whores who get paid to create layers of stink, in their attempts to counter the exposure by good, honest people, mainly scientists, challenging the undeniable truths of their manipulative agendas.

However, those works are way too obvious to be called gaslighting. I'm sure a lot of this is done in the media these days, but I see all that they do is meant to be exposed by us....
    We need to light up the gas they create. It gets rid of the stink....

So, I'll refer to my childhood memories, my teenage prankster self and what we called gas-lighting...
    Which, by the way, was never done to anyone but the friends who all do it to each other in jest...

When someone was constantly farting, we'd stand next to them and fingernail light a match or flip a lighter right after they let one go. That's gas lighting. (Yes, I'm being visited by the spirit of George Carlin....)

Back To Topic.
    Last edited by Hym; 7th February 2021 at 01:11.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hym For This Post:

Anka (7th February 2021), Harmony (7th February 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (7th February 2021), Rawhide68 (13th February 2021)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 times in 1,007 posts

It is interesting how our brain can learn English, especially when we have a lot to speak and less to write, communication is "born" from the argument and leads to more arguments, which is fun.
    But I found some good examples:

- "Vice-a-versa": It’s a proven fact that everyone has an aunt who says this on a daily basis. The correct phrase is simply vice versa.
    -"I'am nauseos": Nauseous means to cause nausea. If you’re sick, you’re nauseated.
    -"Announciate": we enunciate when we make up words. Or even annunciate.
    -"Conversate": This is a back-formation from conversation. It’s sort of a thing, but mostly it just leads to arguments. Why argue when you can converse peacefully?
    -"Supposably": It rolls off the tongue so nicely, but it’s also not a word. Supposedly is, though!
    - And the last one I found:"irregardless"...Mayhaps do i meant regardless? Irregardless isn’t a word, as fun as it is to say.

-going back to the idea of the thread, I understand the difference perfectly and I carry it every day, we just have to be careful when someone asks us decently: " Light? Anyone"

And all this to be just human.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Eva2 (7th February 2021), Harmony (7th February 2021), Hym (7th February 2021), Johan (Keyholder) (7th February 2021), Open Minded Dude (7th February 2021), Rawhide68 (20th February 2021)

23. Link to Post #12
    Germany Avalon Member Open Minded Dude's Avatar
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,359 times in 639 posts

Quote Posted by Anka (here)
    - "Vice-a-versa": It’s a proven fact that everyone has an aunt who says this on a daily basis. The correct phrase is simply vice versa.
    -"I'am nauseos": Nauseous means to cause nausea. If you’re sick, you’re nauseated.
    -"Announciate": we enunciate when we make up words. Or even annunciate.
    -"Conversate": This is a back-formation from conversation. It’s sort of a thing, but mostly it just leads to arguments. Why argue when you can converse peacefully?
    -"Supposably": It rolls off the tongue so nicely, but it’s also not a word. Supposedly is, though!
    - And the last one I found:"irregardless"...Mayhaps do i meant regardless? Irregardless isn’t a word, as fun as it is to say.
    Yeah we have these in every language. I'm not of the English native tongue but as a former linguist find these examples highly interesting (and funny). Reminds me of the famous 'Bushisms', especially that one:

"They misunderestimated me."

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Open Minded Dude For This Post:

Anka (10th February 2021), Hym (8th February 2021), Rawhide68 (20th February 2021)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Power of words reminds me of the Philosophy class of subject logic from my past.

I can prove to you that all cat's have three tails.
    If no cat has 2 tails, and one cat must have one more tail than no cat, then every cat must have three tails !

Or

Try this, ask someone:
    It's not that the moon is not made of cheese.
    Do I claim the moon is made of cheese or not?

It's much more confusing to people if you ask them vocaly, in print it's ridiculously simple.

That's how politicians, lawyers and most big companies keep fooling us.
    Leaders have charisma,sound truthful and look good!
    Add to this so we to buy into whatever they say.

They are not even ashamed of themselves doing this, no they think they are great chess players, we followed the rulebook therefore we win.

(excpept me and most of you I hope)
    Last edited by Rawhide68; 20th February 2021 at 21:24.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rawhide68 For This Post:

Deborah (ahamkara) (20th February 2021), DeDukshyn (20th February 2021), Ernie Nemeth (20th February 2021), Eva2 (21st February 2021), gord (20th February 2021)

+ Reply to Thread