+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Texas Members - How can we help?

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,530 times in 32,788 posts

Default Re: Texas Members - How can we help?

Quote Posted by Anka (here)
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    A shout-out to (or for!) Karen (Geophyz), who lives in central Texas but has been battling the elements like she's in Alaska, or maybe Antarctica. The mods are keeping in close touch with her, and she's doing okay.

In the middle of a continual power outage caused by felled poles, she reported she was very cold, was out of firewood and candles, and that the oil in her lamp had frozen, which she hadn't thought possible. (Jeez! )

Her cell tower had fallen, and so had a bunch of trees over her driveway that she said she hadn't the energy yet to clear with a chainsaw.

She was very worried about her beloved 40 (forty!!) year old horse, but then went out into the snow to search for her milking cow so she could bring them together into the same stall and then tarp it down tight against the weather. Before she found her cow, she came across a shivering abandoned dog looking for help, which she rescued. (So now she has two dogs. )

She took some food to her neighbor yesterday, who needed it, and the last we heard she was wrapped up in multiple layers to venture out in her gator (a 3-wheel all-terrain thing) to get some wood from another neighbor.

We've not yet heard back from her after this latest trip, but she's pretty resilient — as readers may have already gathered. Tonight will dip down to 15ºF (-10ºC) but after that it should start to warm up again the next few days. We're telling her, just one more cold night to hang in there with all her animals.

Is Karen (Geophyz) ok? Knowing that she is resilient, I have the best thoughts about how brave she can be! I want to know if she, her neighbors and her animals were okay.If you have any news, please let me know.

Love,
    Anca
    Yes, many thanks! She's okay and doing well. We eventually heard from her yesterday afternoon after a long silence because she had no cell signal. And her animals are all in good shape too, including her remarkable 40-year old horse which she'd been very worried about.

The weather is now gradually getting warmer, so it seems the worst may be over. But, after over a week, with Texas slowly getting back online, she still has no power and her local area be one of the very last to be reconnected.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 20th February 2021 at 21:48.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alecs (21st February 2021), Anka (20th February 2021), Brigantia (20th February 2021), Constance (20th February 2021), Eva2 (21st February 2021), Franny (21st February 2021), Gracy (20th February 2021), Harmony (20th February 2021), Kate (21st February 2021), kudzy (21st February 2021), Matthew (20th February 2021), onawah (20th February 2021), palehorse (21st February 2021), Stephanie (22nd February 2021), Sue (Ayt) (20th February 2021), Tintin (23rd February 2021), Victoria (22nd April 2021), wondering (20th February 2021), Yoda (21st February 2021)

3. Link to Post #22
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,443 times in 1,007 posts

Quote Posted by Sue (Ayt) (here)
    Yes! Karen has contacted us that she is OK, just has limited/intermittent cell service at the moment.
    But she was able to get to a neighbor's house a mile away and get some wood. And her animals are OK too!
    She wrote that she has plenty of food and water.
    (But she likely has lots of clean-up ahead now that it is warming up. Many trees were downed on her property, it sounds like.)
    Thanks for the reply! I know Karen can do the impossible. I'm glad she and the animals are fine, and I'm convinced she'll be able to overcome everything she has to do. I know what it means to cut down trees from cold / snow / frost and it is extremely hard work. I'm glad she has heat, food and water.

We just wish her all the best and lots of love, always hoping for more good.
    Thank you again.
    And all this to be just human.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th February 2021), Brigantia (20th February 2021), Constance (21st February 2021), Eva2 (21st February 2021), Franny (21st February 2021), Gracy (20th February 2021), Harmony (20th February 2021), justntime2learn (21st February 2021), Stephanie (22nd February 2021), Sue (Ayt) (20th February 2021), Tintin (23rd February 2021), Victoria (22nd April 2021), wondering (20th February 2021)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Texas should ask the Russian government to send a few people to teach them how to handle this situation...

I mean Russia has been handling this for thousands of years, it's time to share and people should stop playing around the issue, people are dying. Ask for the help! It's what i would ask for the Texas government, don't let dumb pride get in the way of people's health and life

Think about it, how can Babushka raise children in Syberia for a thousand years and get along with the cold out there, and yet in Texas people are dying, pride and arrogance is a terrible b*tch

And there are other countries that could also help with systems they have used for hundreds of years to fix this problem, yet we don't hear anything about it! Rather see people die than say "i don't know how to fix this, please help" ?

I think there's a little more to it than that. It's not that the know how is not here, it's more in where does a state choose to invest their time and resources. While the extreme winter weather seen across Texas is rare, it's not unprecedented. It does happen every now and then, most recently in 2011, and 1989:

Quote Texas has received warnings about its preparedness going back at least three decades.

In 1989 and 2011, Texas experienced significant power disruptions as a result of severe winter storms. Following both events, government regulators recommended power plants in the state prepare their facilities for the extreme cold.

Fast forward to this week, when severe winter storms again disrupted Texas's power plants, causing millions to go without power for several days.

In 2011, federal regulators were already critical of the state's lack of winterizing facilities when it was clear it was needed.

A report prepared by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, a federal agency, and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation, a nonprofit, examined electric and natural gas disruptions across the Southwest during the 2011 cold weather event.

It found 210 power generating units under the jurisdiction of the Electric Reliability Council of Texas experienced an outage or disruption over a few days in February 2011, affecting 3.2 million people. ERCOT, a nonprofit, still oversees the state's electrical grid.

The authors of the report also determined that, while especially severe, the 2011 cold event was not without precedent. They found there had been several instances of severe cold weather impacting power prior to 2011, particularly in 1989.

The report said that in that year, following the power disruptions caused by cold weather, the Public Utility Commission of Texas recommended several actions to ensure power plants could withstand extreme weather. Those actions included yearly reviews to check for cold-weather preparedness, maintaining proper insulation, and employee training for cold weather emergency situations.

However, those actions were not mandatory, and more than two dozen of the generators that failed in 1989 failed again in 2011. The report criticized the repeated failures and the fact that power plants were not required to prepare for cold weather following the 1989 event.
    https://news.yahoo.com/extreme-cold-...051906264.html

The three little pigs story is a good analogy, from the individual, all the way up through state and federal governments. It's a lot of hard work and resources to build your house out of brick, but when the big bad wolf comes around it will pay off in spades.

Usually, even the house made out of sticks is sufficient, and it seems that's how Texas has been rolling the dice.

Compare this to the changes Florida made after the utter and complete devastation following Cat 5 Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Quote Building codes were overhauled after Andrew devastated entire neighborhoods when it roared through Miami-Dade County as a Category 5 storm on Aug. 24, 1992.

The state adopted the Florida Building Code as its first statewide code in 2002, mandating that new structures be built to withstand hurricane force winds and have storm shutters or impact-resistant windows.
    https://www.palmbeachdailynews.com/n...CO0b79Lb77LpJ/

Houses built since these new strict codes were put in place now survive even storms like Andrew, while others built earlier are washed away or obliterated. They may lose the roofing or siding in extreme cases, but odds are the structure will remain in place.

Florida got the message loud and clear from that disaster, and started building their houses out of "brick" for the next time the big bad wolf pays a visit.

Will Texas finally get that message after this? I think the people will demand it this time.

6. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Mark's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,462 times in 2,850 posts

It was pretty tough for a lot of people. I’m between Austin and San Antonio, in San Marcos. My house only lost power for a couple of hours. Two days later we lost water for a day. But there were people in neighborhoods just across the highway who were subject to rolling blackouts, power would come on for an hour then down again for five, others who never got power back until the end. As our house is not next to a hospital, I have no idea why my neighborhood was not subject to the rolling blackouts. We are right across the street from a middle school and elementary school but it is not my understanding that schools are critical infrastructure.

I’ve spent decades in cold weather states and nations so the ice and snow wasn’t an issue for me personally but these folks down here don’t know how to drive on ice so I stayed off the roads as much as possible and just stayed in, we had enough food from when we stocked up in the early part of Covid. I’m quite sure that this is not going to be an isolated event. Texas will respond pretty quickly to ERCOT and the grid failures but I don’t know how much will get done as this was quickly turned into a partisan battle about the green new deal and wind turbines versus natural gas and oil.

7. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Post:

Alan (21st February 2021), Bill Ryan (21st February 2021), Brigantia (22nd February 2021), Constance (21st February 2021), Delight (21st February 2021), Ernie Nemeth (21st February 2021), Franny (21st February 2021), Gracy (21st February 2021), Harmony (22nd February 2021), iota (15th April 2021), Mashika (22nd February 2021), Mike (21st February 2021), Stephanie (22nd February 2021), Strat (16th April 2021), Sue (Ayt) (21st February 2021), Tintin (15th April 2021)

8. Link to Post #25
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,486 times in 1,711 posts

I'm trying to recall where I recently read someone mention HAARP in relation to the Texas
    extremely low temperatures.

I can only speculate based on past info. that was written about on the internet, in the News
    etc. HAARP has been mentioned in regards to "weather wars" and we have seen here on Avalon
    evidence of world wide extreme weather.

I never thought about it but who is HAARP responsible to? What is their agenda? Are they part of
    Government? They have power to devastate cities, countries even and play God with different parts
    of the USA and the world at large.

Who in power can stop them? If they are causing climate change and blaming it on the environment
    they need to be stopped. And stopped NOW.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

9. Link to Post #26
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,092 times in 20,639 posts

CLIMATE LOCKDOWNS TO BREAK US INTO A NEW PEASANT CLASS
    February 20, 2021
    https://forbiddenknowledgetv.net/cli...peasant-class/

Source: https://www.rumble.com/video/vbe6hj/?pub=4

"The latest from Greg Reese!

TRANSCRIPT

On May 1st of 2020, President Trump signed Executive Order 13920, securing the United States’ bulk power system.

In the Executive Order, Trump stated that he found that foreign adversaries had been, “Exploiting and creating vulnerabilities in the United States’ bulk power system, and that “The bulk power system is a target of those seeking to commit malicious acts against the United States and its people, because a successful attack on our bulk power system would present significant risks to our economy, human health and safety and would render the United States less capable of acting in defense of itself and its allies.”

Power transformers are the backbone of out electrical grid and about 85% of our transformers are coming from abroad, including Communist China, who 9 years ago bragged that they supported 10% of New York City’s electrical load.

On his very first day in the White House, President Joe Biden signed the Executive Order on Protecting Public Health and the Environment and Restoring Science to Tackle the Climate Crisis. In Section 7 (c) of this Order, it is written that, “The Executive Order of May 1, 2020 (Securing the United States Bulk Power System), is hereby suspended for 90 days.”

On February 12th, ahead of winter storm Uri, Governor Greg Abbott declared a State of Disaster, due to “The imminent threat of loss of life, due to prolonged freezing temperatures.”

With several board members living out of state, including one in Canada, with backgrounds in Economics and Environmentalism, rather than Energy, ERCOT manages over 90% of the Texas electrical grid.

On February 14th, ERCOT requested that the Secretary of Energy issue an order authorizing the use of energy, currently restricted due to carbon emissions. Biden’s Department of Energy responded in an official document, which prioritizes the environment over human life.

During a State Emergency, the Federal Government incentivized ERCOT to shut off the power, by charging them 18,000% higher than regular prices. And when the record freezing temperatures reached Texas, ERCOT shut off power to neighborhoods it deemed “non-essential”, thereby murdering people in their own beds.

There has never been a time in American history where this happened before. They have already succeeded at making us so stupid, that we believe there is no such thing as sexual gender and made us so weak, that we allow them to steal an election before our very eyes.

They will now put us on endless climate lockdowns, shutting down our power grid to kill us and break our will. As the men continue to do nothing, the women will grow to resent them, thereby destroying the family bond.

So long as we continue to do nothing, we will be murdered or broken and brought to heel, where we will beg for whatever scraps our degenerate masters choose to offer us.

And if we refuse to stand up, then we deserve every bit of what’s coming."
    Last edited by Chris Gilbert; 23rd February 2021 at 12:55.
    Each breath a gift...

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Constance (23rd February 2021), East Sun (23rd February 2021), Harmony (23rd February 2021), Sue (Ayt) (23rd February 2021), tessie999 (23rd February 2021), Tintin (23rd February 2021)

11. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,546 times in 2,065 posts

Texas should ask the Russian government to send a few people to teach them how to handle this situation...

I mean Russia has been handling this for thousands of years, it's time to share and people should stop playing around the issue, people are dying. Ask for the help! It's what i would ask for the Texas government, don't let dumb pride get in the way of people's health and life

Think about it, how can Babushka raise children in Syberia for a thousand years and get along with the cold out there, and yet in Texas people are dying, pride and arrogance is a terrible b*tch

And there are other countries that could also help with systems they have used for hundreds of years to fix this problem, yet we don't hear anything about it! Rather see people die than say "i don't know how to fix this, please help" ?

Mashika you keep commenting after me and quoting me and i largely ignore you because of THIS comment

so before i have any interest in engagement with you?

i need to know .. .was this completely insensitive not to mention the most idiotic and absolutely useless solution your comment?

or your sister's?

i'm wondering who needs support in understanding that when people are in pain and even dying??

criticism is NEVER appropriate

ONLY compassion and love

and has such little knowledge of my country as to NOT understand that there are parts here with equal experience of winter that we would turn to BEFORE calling on Russia

which by the way what number were we supposed to call?

just pick up the phone and dial anyone?

and of course the translation problem?

AS IF in the MIDDLE of OUR EMERGENCY THIS WOULD BE THE BRIGHT IDEA

let me CALL RUSSIA AND ASK FOR HELP so i'm notlabeled a ... what was it that this said?

"pride and arrogance is a terrible b*tch

not to mention extreme disappointment in whoever thanked this useless, insensitive, insulting comment

i saw this ... and did not log on for ALMOST A MONTH because so great was my disappointment in the comment and the people who thanked it'

by the way?

there are probably in the neighborhood of a MILLION solutions with more workablity that did NOT involve insults, insensitivity, lack of compassion, language barriers ... etc

and most do not even require much intelligence or imagination to come up with something better than what was suggested here

AND that in YOUR opionion? merited insult for NOT thinking or doing this?

you've got to be kidding ... except this is NOT funny nor was the experience of living through this a suitable subject to joke about or insult OR ENCOURAGE BY THANKING

just to be CLEAR
    Last edited by iota; 15th April 2021 at 09:08.
    We should defend our way of life
    to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed,

so that any adversary
    will never make such an attempt in the future.

12. Link to Post #28
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by iota (here)

i need to know .. .was this completely insensitive not to mention the most idiotic and absolutely useless solution your comment?

or your sister's?

i'm wondering who needs support in understanding that when people are in pain and even dying??

criticism is NEVER appropriate

ONLY compassion and love

and has such little knowledge of my country as to NOT understand that there are parts here with equal experience of winter that we would turn to BEFORE calling on Russia

which by the way what number were we supposed to call?

just pick up the phone and dial anyone?

and of course the translation problem?

AS IF in the MIDDLE of OUR EMERGENCY THIS WOULD BE THE BRIGHT IDEA

let me CALL RUSSIA AND ASK FOR HELP so i'm not a ... what was it that this said?

", pride and arrogance is a terrible b*tch

not to mention extreme disappointment in whoever thanked this useless, insensitive, insulting comment

i saw this ... and did not log on for ALMOST A MONTH because so great was my disappointment in the comment and the people who thanked it'

by the way?

there are probably in the neighborhood of a MILLION solutions with more workablity that did NOT involve insults, insensitivity, lack of compassion, language barriers ... etc

and most do not even require much intelligence or imagination to come up with something better than what was suggested here

AND merited insult for NOT thinking or doing this?

you've got to be kidding ... except this is NOT funny nor a joking matter
    Like this, it's you who is acting arrogant, the people who was helped there by the Mexican army did not think they were being "arrogant" for showing up there with SOLUTIONS that were needed immediately, which also did not got there on time by the US government.

So spare me your twisted view of what being insensitive is, because you clearly have no idea. As neither had the people in control of that state back when that happened, so that EXTERNAL HELP was needed, WHY ARE WE YELLING!, BECAUSE OF YOUR FRAGILE EGO GOT HURT?

The people who needs help, HAS to receive the help, whoever that help comes from, and the fact is that people died there because of lack of progress and will to do anything about the problem, so yes, spare me your high moral ground, the family of the people who died there because of the stupidity of your government would disagree with your butt hurt ego

And where were those people who have equal experience? Where were they? No where to be seen

Go tell the parents of this kid that everything is ok, because no help from those bastards are needed, you can handle it all! Also the ones unprepared on 2005 or whatever, who also got killed because of the lack of preparation

Sit down
    Last edited by Mashika; 15th April 2021 at 07:57.
    Tired

13. Link to Post #29
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Like this, it's you who is acting arrogant, the people who was helped there by the Mexican army did not think they were being "arrogant" for showing up there with SOLUTIONS that were needed immediately, which also did not got there on time by the US government.

So spare me your twisted view of what being insensitive is, because you clearly have no idea. As neither had the people in control of that state back when that happened, so that EXTERNAL HELP was needed, WHY ARE WE YELLING!, BECAUSE OF YOUR FRAGILE EGO GOT HURT?

The people who needs help, HAS to receive the help, whoever that help comes from, and the fact is that people died there because of lack of progress and will to do anything about the problem, so yes, spare me your high moral ground, the family of the people who died there because of the stupidity of your government would disagree with your butt hurt ego

And where were those people who have equal experience? Where were they? No where to be seen

Go tell the parents of this kid that everything is ok, because no help from those bastards are needed, you can handle it all! Also the ones unprepared on 2005 or whatever, who also got killed because of the lack of preparation

Sit down

so it WAS you?

ok .. thanks for that ... so you can stop following me throughout the forum attempting to engage me because it isn't going to happen ..in fact, i'll block you and never even see it ...

we hold completely different beliefs

... for your information

when people are suffering?

THE ONLY APPROPRIATE RESPONSE IS COMPASSION

the suffering of others IS NOT an appropriate topic to ridicule

and NEVER INSULT

what WAS complete nonsense? was THE idea that in the middle of this emergency?

we would be guilty of "STUPID, ARROGANT DUMB PRIDE"

to not think:

"right now? THE VERY BEST IDEA? would be to call Russia!"

what number?

who was ready to answer?

what about the language barrier?

what better ideas than the people of Chicago? Alabama? Georgia? and the other 30- 40 states that have plenty of experience with snow?

spare you?

allow you to insult?

who are you?

on what basis have you arrived at the conclusion that YOU would "know better than us" what we need? and i'm sorry, who asked you?

how did this concern you?

it is incredibly arrogant, insensitive and even cruel that you think it appropriate to comment on the suffering of others in a derogatory, disparaging manner as though the pain of others and what they dealt with was an appropriate subject to ridicule

but it isn't

this affected me, family, friends and community in a harrowing manner and it was a direct preplanned attack due to our unwillingness to be subjugated

the last thing we need is someone from a country who HAS allowed itself to be completely subjugated to hold herself in a superior manner and ridicule our suffering

i'm not clear why you thought this to be appropriate?
    or how it is that tragedy i experienced personally concerned you?
    or why you feel it is appropriate to insult us?

I AM CLEAR i do not share in your views

i won't be responding to anything else from you < as i seriously doubt that an apology, which would be the ONLY appropriate response will be forthcoming ..

i'm just outright blocking you as ALL of your words so far ?

have quickly
    dispelled ALL notions
    that ANY thing you may write in the future
    would be worth the time it takes to read it ..
    Last edited by iota; 15th April 2021 at 11:24. Reason: typos

so that any adversary

14. Link to Post #30
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Sit down

so it WAS you?

ok .. thanks for that ... so you can stop following me throughout the forum attempting to engage me because it isn't going to happen ..in fact, i'll block you and never even see it ... understand you will NEVER again receive a reply from me, there is absolutely nothing that could come from you that might hold interest from me ..

we hold completely different beliefs

... for your information

when people are suffering?

THE ONLY APPROPRIATE RESPONSE IS COMPASSION

NEVER INSULTS

what DID merit insult? was THE idea that in the middle of this emergency?

we would be guilty of "STUPID, ARROGANT DUMB PRIDE"

to not think:

"right now? THE VERY BEST IDEA? would be to call Russia!"

what number?

who was ready to answer?

what about the language barrier?

what better ideas than the people of Chicago? Alabama? Georgia? and the other 30- 40 states that have plenty of experience with snow?

spare you?

allow you to insult?

i'm sorry ... who is it that has "pride"??

your arrogance in presumption that YOU would "know better than us" what we need is extraordinary, unmertited of course, but extraordinary

and incredible that you think it appropriate to comment on the suffering of others in a derogatory, disparaging manner even laughing as though you hold yourself to be so superior?

i do not share in your views, either of solutions nor of your superiority

so ... .. thank you for

dispelling ALL notions
    that ANY thing you may write
    would be worth the time it takes to read it ..

Lol, this is meaningless and useless bickering lmao

You are acting like a kid, which only confirms things i said before

If a single person dies, not because it could not be avoided, but because of inaction or incompetence, then YES, people need to be held accountable for that

There are direct lines between all the governments in the world. You think the Mexican army just invited themselves to Texas one day, just because they felt like? "IT WAS REQUESTED BY THE US GOVERNMENT BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT HANDLE THE PROBLEM AS FAST AS THE MEXICAN GOVERNMENT COULD AT THE TIME"

Are we yelling enough yet? So that you understand that if at least one single life is saved, it doesn't matter pride or nationalism or all those ridiculous things in any way?

Anyways, you're attitude is so naive that this is the last time i reply to you. But just so you know, the US president has a direct line to Putin, and one also to any other president in the world that matters, even the guy in North Korea, it's just a matter of picking up the phone and saying "i need to talk with that guy", so yes

Your naivety about world matters is astonishing

Domo Arigato

Also, i won't be dragged into this ridiculous game. Way beyond that, mister

Release your frustration somewhere else. You don't have a clue about what i know or what i really think, or who i am. Just as i don't know who you are, but your words have said a lot just now
    Last edited by Mashika; 15th April 2021 at 08:57.
    Tired

15. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks

one last thing ... you should know what it means that i have determined that i would NOT find any merit in ANY further contribution from you

i'm the person who NEVER ignores ANYBODY

i learn from children ALL the time
    there is a homeless man who sees my vehicle coming and reaches in to hug me
    because not only have i given him money? and water and food?
    i have stopped to listen

i'm grieving right now over the death of a person with Down's Syndrome that taught me extraordinary lessons in love, she would always save me a place besides her and people thought i was being "kind" to sit with her

that is because people do not understand REAL treasure when it is offered.

sitting besides her? i got hugged and loved and accepted unconditionally and THAT is a "gift" many of my "normal" friends have yet to learn how to express freely

so i was NOT being kind" i was soaking it in .. and i truly DO mourn her loss ...

like i said, i've always felt you can learn from anyone

except YOU

because in all honesty? i cannot fathom that i would want to learn anything from anyone who would be not just indifferent to the pain of others but condescending

and find it an appropriate topic to ridicule

i guess i should be thankful that you are the only such person i have come across
    and that thankfully the means exist here to ignore you completely

not really something to be proud of i think ...

because, by the way, even if you can't find it in your heart to show compassion? it doesn't take "high moral ground" to refrain from ridiculing and insulting people in the midst of their suffering,

just basic human decency
    Last edited by iota; 15th April 2021 at 16:48. Reason: expanded and formatted

so that any adversary

16. Link to Post #32
    Language
    English
    Thanks

so here's the thing ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	if you can't be kind (5-29-17) ~ 19 (3).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	46585

so that any adversary

17. Link to Post #33
    United States Moderator Karen (Geophyz)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,882 times in 612 posts

Let's all agree to not bicker on the forum please. Everyone here sees things through different eyes and so has a different opinion.

Back to what is happening in Texas! Our federal and state government have failed us. Those of us closest to the border are just on our own to fend for ourselves. I hope Mr. Abbott and his crew are paying attention....they will wonder what happened come the next election and we elect ANYONE but them.

This is no longer a country since we have no secure borders.
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern.” William Blake

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Karen (Geophyz) For This Post:

Alan (15th April 2021), Bill Ryan (15th April 2021), Harmony (16th April 2021), pabranno (15th April 2021), Tintin (16th April 2021), wondering (16th April 2021)

19. Link to Post #34
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Karen (Geophyz) (here)
    Let's all agree to not bicker on the forum please. Everyone here sees things through different eyes and so has a different opinion.

Back to what is happening in Texas! Our federal and state government have failed us. Those of us closest to the border are just on our own to fend for ourselves. I hope Mr. Abbott and his crew are paying attention....they will wonder what happened come the next election and we elect ANYONE but them.

This is no longer a country since we have no secure borders.

let me be CLEAR

if people here are of the "opinion" that the appropriate response to tragedy are insults and ridicule?

and insults and ridicule are considered acceptable "opinion"?

one that merits "thanks" but NOT a counter perspective?

particularly from someone directly impacted?

im in the wrong place

and i will remedy that quickly
    Last edited by iota; 15th April 2021 at 19:03.

so that any adversary

20. Link to Post #35
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

You are very confused, there's nothing insulting about what i said, it's perfectly clear but let me explain

- Other countries have plans setup already for the exact scenario, with teams at the ready because they experience this every single year since forever
    - The US may have been able to gather people, create plans to handle the situation, get all the resource, then train the people and put someone in charge of the logistics. But all of that would have taken weeks or more, and there was no time to do that. That why people died

When something like that happens, it's easier and faster to bring up a team already prepared, trained and that already knows exactly what to do and who will do what and where, just like when the Mexican army was sent, because it may have been unexpected in the US, that a flood like that would happen, but on Mexico it happens almost every year, and the US army was going to take weeks to be able to help people. There was not enough time so an already prepared team was sent, one that has lots of experience handling this exact same situation plenty of times before, for decades

And there's nothing arrogant, insulting or whatever about it, it's a matter of saving lives

I think it's very obvious the real reason you attacked me with so much hate and insults, and is not what i suggested. Also i don't know what you going all about my sister's issue, that was months ago and has nothing to do with this.

The only reason you feel my suggestion was an insult is because of misplaced patriotism, or whatever you want to call it, that prevents you from seeing clear

"How is the US going to receive help, that would be preposterous, we are the best country in the world!" That's just dumb, ask the families of the people who died, was their sacrifice worth it just so that some government people would not feel the shame of accepting external help that was very needed?

And i'm the arrogant?

This is a very pointless argument so i'm just going to skip
    Last edited by Mashika; 15th April 2021 at 19:43.
    Tired

21. Link to Post #36
    Great Britain Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,889 times in 325 posts

Karen (Geophyz),

I've read your posts and I really admire your resilience.

iota,

I truly do understand. I feel words should be chosen with great care. Especially now, in these difficult times for many.

Take care both of you.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zirconian For This Post:

Anka (15th April 2021), Bill Ryan (15th April 2021), iota (15th April 2021), Karen (Geophyz) (15th April 2021), pabranno (16th April 2021), Tintin (16th April 2021), Trisher (16th April 2021), wondering (16th April 2021)

23. Link to Post #37
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

When i saw the news that people were freezing on their own homes because there was no power, i felt powerless and actually angry at the lack of any support they got. It could have been prevented so easily, just simply by building a kang bed stove in their homes, with a few cinder blocks

They depended on electricity and when it went out, there was no one to help and they did not know how to fix the problem, so they died

If there had been more information about how to build a simple small kang bed stove on their own homes. Those deaths could have been prevented, but it never happened, no one was there for them

A kang stove may not be a full solution, but would have increased their chances to survive until power was back, or help would get there. It would heat them for hours or a full day, without any electricity. That's what i meant and it felt bad watching the news and saying "i would have just built one in the living room and they died because they did not know about it"

Those people should not be dead, that's all i'm saying
    Tired

24. Link to Post #38
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

You twisted my words and it's perfectly clear what your intention was. I'm sorry people followed you into it. I did not intend to insult anyone and you keep twisting things around to push what's is painfully obvious is your agenda. There's no honor or pride on doing such things

I don't need this
    Tired

25. Link to Post #39
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Zirconian (here)
    Karen (Geophyz),

I've read your posts and I really admire your resilience.

iota,

I truly do understand. I feel words should be chosen with great care. Especially now, in these difficult times for many.

Take care both of you.
    Dopamine, one hell of a drug isn't it? People would do whatver they can for just one more hit

I wish you the best, theres a very hard spiritual battle on the way up from what you tried to do, but you ended up placing yourself l. regardless of what you can see or lack of understanding of right now

ドーパミン、そのような薬でしょ?

Only you know what you carry inside, dont let it destroy

Someone will probably come and test you again, like i did, and you must pass the test, dont get angry gather withing you.
    Last edited by Mashika; 17th April 2021 at 09:29.
    Tired

26. Link to Post #40
    Language
    English
    Thanks

one last thing ... you should know what it means that i have determined that i would NOT find any merit in ANY further contribution from you

i'm the person who NEVER ignores ANYBODY

i learn from children ALL the time
    there is a homeless man who sees my vehicle coming and reaches in to hug me
    because not only have i given him money? and water and food?
    i have stopped to listen
    so i need to clean up this communication

it is important to be responsible not just for the words that we use but what can be reasonably inferred by those words

so while it IS true that there is a homeless man who sees my vehicle coming and reaches in to hug me?

and i HAVE

given him money? and water and food?

AND > i have stopped to listen

that's NOT why he reaches in my car to hug me when he sees me

it's not because of me ...
    it's because of Josh ...

it was a stop we frequented
    and it was Josh who ALWAYS made it a point to give him money
    on more than one occasion MADE me

"just turn around mommy ... just turn around real quick"

and a couple of times i ran late to get him?

he had walked down and i found him talking to the man

SOOOO ..

when the day came that i pulled up to the stop?
    AND he came to the car?

and i looked at him and said "josh is gone"
    and burst into tears?
    he reached in and hugged me

and he has ever since ...

and the REALLY cool part is that when i said "Josh is gone"

he didn't ask "WHO?"

everybody has their own idea of VALUE .. this would be mine

and so when i had the most awesome teacher in my son about compassion and caring for your fellow human ...

i could not stay where the opposite is upheld ...

... i just CANNOT "get past" the fact that HERE on this forum

is an individual who upon hearing that we were in the midst of tragedy?

responded with criticism, derision, made fun of us, even insulting us

not ONLY was she critical?

"don't let dumb pride get in the way .."

and the judgment ...

"pride and arrogance is a terrible b*tch"

wow ...

and her very avatar depicts an impetuous spoiled brat INTENT on forcing her bad mood upon people in and of itself is demonstrative of her indifference to the impact she has on others ...

what an insult to the memory of Josh, whose very life and soul exemplified kindness, compassion, caring and love EXPRESSED to not just friends but EVERYONE...

again, what a waste of precious oxygen and energy

speaking of friends .. little known (to you guys) is THAT was one thing josh got from ME ... the absolute DEEP LOVE of friends

the little spiel i joked on loyalty for Sue on Bill's April Fool's thread?

that's real

if you have found residence in my heart in the slot of friendship?

i will value you and treasure you and honor you

and i ALWAYS have my friend's back ... you've seen that a time or two here ...

i don't "throw my friends away" i tend to keep them ...

you know of the hundreds of friends i have?
    a good 25 - 30 have known me since i was SIX years old?

and there are MORE than 100 that have known me since i was 13

more were accumulated with the passage of time and numerous involvements but the point is that though my friends are NOT "saints" by any stretch of the imagination

they DO have minimal basic human decency standards

out of ALL of them?
    there is NOT a SINGLE one

who would EVER

KNOW i experienced a tragedy?

AND that someone was critical, judgmental, derisive AND insulting in speaking OF my tragedy ..

AND then? >>>>> Pat that person on the back
    (THANK HER)

NOT A SINGLE FRIEND of mine

would EVER insult me in that way

and IF they did?

NOT ONE would expect to REMAIN my friend

unevolved low consciousness beings like this M person? i've eaten for lunch since i was 19

she was handled and is now ignored

what i could NOT and CAN NOT get past?

is that her OFFENSIVE behavior? > "got a pat on the back" (thanked)

THAT? was hurtful

so i feel we have to set some MINIMAL standards for friendship

and if you've done that?

we don't get to "hang out"

i am NOT "Friends" with people who feel insults and criticism to tragedy is appropriate and behavior to be reinforced

THAT was what kept me away

ANY place that reinforces THAT lack of compassion and behavior is not a place i wish to be associated with ...

and now? to see her comments go unchallenged

but mine? told not to bicker?

that's a bit much to swallow ...

which was WHY i was CLEAR and specific

Quote if people here are of the "opinion" that the appropriate response to tragedy are insults and ridicule?

and insults and ridicule are considered acceptable "opinion"?

one that merits "thanks" but NOT a counter perspective?

particularly from someone directly impacted?

im in the wrong place
    what is ACCEPTABLE
    and REINFORCED

matters

that was NOT ok

and to have the LEADERSHIP reinforce this behavior AND then go on my thread and engage in it as well?

THAT is NOT ok

and to expect SILENCE from me? as though it WERE ok? was never going to happen ...

you are free to choose this expression and i will actually champion your RIGHT to choose

BUT that right is reciprocal and i too am free to choose to express the impact that it had on me

as i stated:

because, by the way, even if you can't find it in your heart to show compassion?

it doesn't take "high moral ground" to refrain from ridiculing and insulting people in the midst of their suffering,

just basic human decency
    PS Sue, who started this thread out of genuine authentic concern for us .. is of course NOT included in this .. as i'm sure she was just being her sweet self to thank ALL posters on her thread ..
    Last edited by iota; 22nd April 2021 at 06:15. Reason: shorten this

so that any adversary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2