Thread: WW3? Ukraine/US vs. Donbass/Russia

1. Link to Post #8861
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,782 times in 4,377 posts

Default Re: WW3? Ukraine/US vs. Donbass/Russia

... meanwhile, in Bolshevik USA:

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Ewan (26th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), Ivanhoe (27th March 2023), Jambo (27th March 2023), Johnnycomelately (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (26th March 2023), Miller (28th March 2023), Pam (27th March 2023), pounamuknight (26th March 2023), Ravenlocke (27th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (27th March 2023), seko (28th March 2023), shaberon (27th March 2023), Snoweagle (27th March 2023), Tintin (26th March 2023)

3. Link to Post #8862
    Belgium Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch, French
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,361 times in 762 posts

Quote Posted by Ravenlocke (here)
    https://thecradle.co/article-view/22906
    (...)

Last December, the US navy named a next-generation warship the ‘USS Fallujah.

(...)
    How far can you go in perverse mental callousness and cruelty?

Where are the Americans who protested against this?

How far can you go in dodging your responsibility as a citizen? “You know, it is our government, we as citizens are good people”. Ppahh!

Occasionally I happen to watch a statement made officially by Americans of any political colour where in passing they cite their service to the Unites States accomplished in Iraq and how proud they are. I cannot express how it disgusts me.

I hope, I pray, I beseech all benevolent but just forces this “innocence” will pursue them beyond their grave.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Michel Leclerc For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Gwin Ru (26th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), Miller (28th March 2023), Pam (28th March 2023), pounamuknight (26th March 2023), Ravenlocke (27th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (27th March 2023), seko (28th March 2023), shaberon (27th March 2023), Tintin (26th March 2023), Vicus (26th March 2023)

5. Link to Post #8863
    Belgium Avalon Member
    Language
    Dutch, French
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,361 times in 762 posts

For clarity. In Belgium, where I was born, this happens also.

To my shame, I had to be informed of the consequences of many Belgian military actions by Congolese, Rwandese, and inhabitants of other countries where we did our best to imitate the ruthlessness of our American overlords. (By Yugoslavians!)

What I did – whenever my work as a consultant allowed me to create an authentic personal (instead of just functional) relationship with my client – was, during a "personal" chat, informing them of my concerns – and most of the time I learnt how uninformed they were and often I noticed that their moral compass was still working to some extent.

But I also learnt how other clients did not want to listen and rather acclaimed what had been done. As one person put it: “I am quite happy that with my euros I can pay soldiers to do the necessary slaughtering in my place.”

A few minutes later I had to request them to excuse me for a sanitary stop. I used it to ask the other person in the mirror: “What am I doing here?”

6. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Michel Leclerc For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), Blastolabs (27th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Ewan (27th March 2023), Gwin Ru (26th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), Miller (27th March 2023), Pam (28th March 2023), pounamuknight (26th March 2023), Ravenlocke (27th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (27th March 2023), seko (28th March 2023), shaberon (27th March 2023), Tintin (27th March 2023), Vangelo (26th March 2023)

7. Link to Post #8864
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,789 times in 5,537 posts

An update here from Simplicius which focuses primarily on the more technical aspects of munitions deployment, which may be of interest to some. I'm posting an abridged version as this post is quite detail dense and contains a lot of links.

It's typically excellent and very informative.

-----------

Mines, Depleted Uranium, and Important Addendums

Source: Simplicius The Thinker (on Substack)

Not quite a SITREP, but some updates on important topics in the battlespace.

I wanted to follow up with a little explanatory piece about two currently crucial issues faced by the Russian side in the war.

Firstly, there’s the topic of DU—depleted uranium. Britain has announced that it will be supplying DU penetrator rods along with its Challenger-2 tanks. As you know, with my analysis, I always strive to uncover the small unspoken things under the hood, the angles that the more ‘mainstream’ narratives fail to see, acknowledge, or understand.

First, a very brief summary of what DU rods are. It’s very simple: tank armor is mostly made of steel. If you shoot an ammo APFSDS (Armor Penetrating Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot) round that is also made out of steel, then you’re basically hitting the enemy tank with a round made of the same density/hardness, which, by way of the eternal Newtonian Laws, would cause the steel round to mushroom and break apart, for the most part, from the much sturdier opposing force of the tank armor.

So militaries began to use Tungsten rounds. Tungsten is much harder/denser than steel, in fact it’s even denser than pure Uranium. However, Tungsten is much more rare and expensive. Depleted Uranium has similar hardness though but is cheaper because it’s literally made from radioactive waste / byproduct from nuclear power plants, which they no longer need. It’s of course mostly denuded of its radioactivity, but a small amount remains.

So Tungsten or Uranium hitting steel armor is a far denser force going against something like a knife through butter. In reality, it’s much more complicated and detail-intensive, as Tungsten in some ways is even superior to DU, but it is much more expensive.

A table like the one below shows that WHA (90% Tungsten alloy) actually penetrates better than DU with certain variables and velocities in place. But the bottom line to understand is that DU penetrates far better than regular steel-tipped rounds, and is much cheaper to make than Tungsten.

British defense ministry has issued a statement, citing ‘independent research from scientists’, that any adverse health effects from DU are minimal: Video.

It’s difficult to fully verify, particularly due to the fact that its so greatly in the U.S. and West’s interests to sweep under the rug and memory hole such research, but the numbers floating around the internet are along these lines:
    Study Fallujah, #Iraq 2005 - 2010:

▪️ Leukemia increased 38x,

▪️ Brain tumors 13x

▪️ Lymphoma 10x

▪️ Cancer in children 10.5x
    This is corroborated by articles from a long time ago, perhaps when it was a little easier to publish ‘inconvenient’ facts, before Big Tech completely fettered the internet with their barbaric ‘WrongThink’ cleansing algorithms. This Guardian article from 2009 for instance, confirms a 15x increase in birth defects in infants.

But there are two ways to think about this. The first is that, the Battles of Fallujah, which are the primary culprits where this DU poisoning took place, were maybe two months long in total, combined. That means, we can consider the fact that in only two months of firing DU in Fallujah, they poisoned the population to such a degree as to affect upwards of 14% of births with defects.

Many or most of us agree that the Ukrainian war will drag on perhaps for several years. So imagine what type of contamination would result from a period of DU usage that is 10x or 20x longer than the Fallujah battles which scoured and poisoned the landscape?

The only check we can put on that thought, is the argument that perhaps the US/UK fired such a vast volume of DU in that short time, owing to the fact that they used far more DU-capable armor, that it would still constitute a greater total DU usage than all of Ukraine could accumulate even over the course of two of three years of fighting. We must remember that the coalition’s DU usage was not limited merely to MBT (Main Battle Tanks) but several other systems, including A-10 Warthogs spraying 30mm DU rounds at ungodly RPM’s into everything in the landscape.

So this argument will hinge on how many total DU-capable systems Ukraine will receive. For now, as I understand it, only the UK with their Challenger tanks has openly offered DU rounds, and currently the pledged supply of those tanks is low.

However, given the far greater intensity of this conflict compared to Iraq, we also know that tanks on the frontline fire exponentially more rounds in general, than any other recent conflict. So there is merit in assuming that perhaps the total accumulation of DU round usage in Ukraine over the course of two, or three, or even more years, could still equal or greatly surpass the usage in the Iraq war. Particularly if 1.) the UK eventually pledges/delivers more Challengers and 2.) if the US and/or other countries likewise join the call and supply DU rounds to the tanks they’re delivering.

So in short, it is plausible that the Donbass region could face massive contamination, perhaps even eclipsing that of the Chernobyl exclusion zone. And guess what? The AFU commanders would gleefully and gladly help effect such a scenario; they would view irradiating the Donbass, and making the land there uninhabitable, as a delicious ‘just desserts’ against Russia for having ‘taken it’ from them.

As a corollary, one source stated that the US has used 300 tons of depleted Uranium in Iraq. Given that US DOD’s official numbers show that 0.3% of DU is active U, we can do the following basic math. 300 tons converted to pounds is = 660,000lbs. And 0.30% of 660k lbs is 1,980lbs. That means the US dumped almost a full ton (~2000lbs) equivalent of full-on radioactive Uranium on Iraq.
    According to the Iraqi government, in 2005 the cancer incidence in the country because of the use of depleted uranium rose from 40 to 1,600 cases per 100,000 people. There has also been a 25% increase in cancer incidence in the countries of the former Yugoslavia.

After the use of depleted uranium shells, large areas of crops on Ukrainian territory will be contaminated, and radioactive substances will be spread through vehicles to the rest of the territory. This would cause enormous economic damage to Ukraine’s agro-industrial complex, bringing down any export of agricultural products from Ukraine.
    However, the bigger issue in Uranium is not its radioactivity per se, but rather its ‘chemical toxicity’. It is heavily toxic to the environment, like other ‘heavy metals’ such as mercury, lead, etc., and carcinogenic due to the way its molecules displace vital nutrients in our organs, lymph nodes, etc., causing breakdowns in DNA structure, amongst other things.

And to compound this, Iraq was mostly desert while Ukraine is full of farm fields which will be cultivated, and the food grown there eaten by millions of people which will greatly spread the toxicity and exponentially compound the amount of potential damage to the population.

--------

Now, in this segment I want to cover a few technical things that I’ve been meaning to cover, in order to help explain some of the situations on the front that have left some people puzzled.

The first of which is the mine situation. Particularly in regard to Ugledar, where we witnessed some nasty videos of Russian tank scouts from the 5th Tank Brigade and infantry of 37th Motorized Rifle Brigade of the 36th Combined Arms Army (Eastern Military District), as well as the 155th Pacific Fleet Naval Marines get decimated by mines in a couple of outings.

Many were understandably shocked and puzzled at how this could happen, and why Russia can’t properly clear the mines. Firstly I posted photos like this one, showing the sheer density of TM-62 mine saturation that the AFU carries out in these approach fields:

But the primary thing to understand, is that the AFU uses a combination of older Soviet TM-62 mines laid along side with western magnetic mines. The problem is, Russian tank mine trawls do not set off the magnetic mines. This recent Forbes article explains it.
    The problem is that the KMT mine-rollers only work on pressure-triggered mines such as the Soviet-vintage TM-62. But modern Western mines have multiple trigger options, including magnetic proximity.

A minefield with magnetically-triggered American-made Remote Anti-Armor Mines—scattered by 155-millimeter artillery shells—pretty much is immune to a KMT mine-roller. A Russian tank could roll up and dig up the RAAMs with its KMT-5 or KMT-7 and still trigger the mines.

Worse for the Russians, the Ukrainians tend to mix mine types. Bury some TM-62s then scatter RAAMs on top. These mixed minefields have halted Russian assaults near Vuhledar, in eastern Ukraine’s Donbas region 60 miles south of Bakhmut.

A video that a Russian T-72 tank crew shot late last year, apparently in Donbas, illustrates the Russians’ dilemma. In the video, the T-72 triggers a pressure mine with its KMT-7, safely blowing up the mine ahead of the tank. But a few seconds later, a second mine—maybe a magnetic one—strikes the tank.
    So, to unpack this. The Ukrainians scatter instant minefields by way of RAAMS, which is Remote Anti-Armor Mine System. This is basically an 155mm artillery shell which can be fired from any of the Western systems delivered to Ukraine. The shell explodes over the targeted territory and scatters electromagnetic mines all over the vicinity. The US is said to have delivered over 10,200 of such shells (each of which holds many mines).

This Forbes article specifically goes into the RAAMs system in use by Ukraine. The article outlines a tactic the Ukrainians use, which was actually confirmed by a separate Russian military source in an angry Telegram post. The tactic goes as follows:
    There are indications the Ukrainians have adopted a clever new method of laying mines. Ukrainian gunners wait until Russian troops clear a path through an old minefield—then toss fresh mines onto that same path right as the Russians are crossing.

This tactic appears to be on display around Vuhledar—a town with a pre-war population of just 14,000 that lies a couple of miles north of Russian-held Pavlivka, 25 miles southwest of Donetsk in eastern Ukraine’s Donbas region.

So, first they lay the older Soviet TM-62 mines and let Russian mine sweepers successfully clear a path through them, but then, right before the actual assault can come through the path cleared by the minesweeper with a tank trawl, the UA troops shoot these RAAMs projectiles to lay the much more numerous ‘smart mines’ all over the path.

But what is America’s much more advanced method of clearing such mines? Enter the FWMP - Full Width Mine Plough. In short, it’s basically a snow plow that gouges up the earth and pushes it to the sides of the tank. This merely ‘pushes the magnetic mines’ away towards the side of the path, and in no way disables them. You be the judge how effective that would be in real combat situations.

I can name a few problems off the top of my head. Firstly, how would it deal with the different types of terrain, such as frozen ground where the ploughs would be nearly useless in tearing up the earth in such a way? It seems to me it would only work in ideal soft ground conditions, and even then it’s still only pushing the mines to the side and creating a narrow path which itself creates a targetable kill zone. How, for instance, would the Americans deal with the same tactic so exultantly outlined by Forbes? If it was the U.S. up against the AFU, and the AFU simply continually showered the path with RAAMs mines, it makes such sweeping moot.

Also, the triumphant gloating from the Forbes article and elsewhere, that ‘backwards Russia’ has no capabilities to deal with this is off-base. They continually point to the more antiquated, regular mine trawls like the KMT-7, but they ignore that Russia has newer systems like the TMT-K which is specifically designed to deal with electromagnetic mines.

In fact, the TMT-K is likely the most advanced such mine trawl in the world, and the U.S. has nothing of the like in its inventory.
    “This trawl consists of a roller array with pressure action and soil cutters, a device for trawling anti-side mines and an electromagnetic module. The trawl also includes electrical equipment, a pneumatic system, a pyro signal cassette and a single spare parts kit.

The TMT-K mine trawl provides trawling capabilities against most anti-tank mines: anti-burr mines, anti-bottom mines with contact and non-contact magnetic fuses, anti-slide mines with non-contact seismic-optical fuses, as well as the destruction of wired control lines for mine explosions, land mines and triggering remote installation mines installed on the ground surface.”
    The problem is, it’s a relatively recent addition, only introduced in the last few years and so it’s not widespread yet compared to the older KMT-7 style mine trawls.

In fact Russia has a host of newer, advanced mine sweeping vehicles, including a vehicle that kills mines electromagnetically, i.e. “zapping” or “frying” their electronics, called the Listva Remote Demining Vehicle.

As well as the new BRM-3M minesweeper tank based on the T-90M which includes magnetic rollers that are meant specifically to be able to set off such magnetic mines.

But as with everything, the biggest problem in the Russian army is one of availability. Thus, many troops still have to use the older varieties.

Also, the other important thing to be said on this topic, is some might be wondering, what about the famed Russian UR-77 ‘Meteorit’, colloquially called ‘Snake Gorynch’, which clears mines by firing an explosive hose-charge across a mine field? Famed DPR commentator Vladlen Tatarsky (Max Fomin) explained the problems with it (autotranslated):
    Now about the UR-77.

Absolutely useless machine, for the declared actions on mine clearance. Imagine a typical field for Donbass between the "green spots". As a rule, it is 500-700 meters, or even more. "Snake Gorynych" makes a passage 6 meters wide, up to 100 meters deep. I.e., according to the designers ' idea, it should reach the enemy at a distance of 300-200 meters and start all these manipulations? Complete nonsense! How do you see it? Can you imagine the battlefield at all and what's going on there?

It is clear that there are few suicides among the military, so they decided to throw the UR-77 remotely. You unhook the explosive hoses from the ropes and shoot... Well, first of all, the machine is not designed for such things, so accuracy, to put it mildly, suffers. Secondly, this thing often just doesn't explode or only one sleeve explodes. Why this is so, I do not know. I'm just telling you what I saw on different parts of the front. Yes, of course, if all these arms with plasticite fly to the enemy opornik, then its personnel will fly into space, but I repeat, the UR-77 was not created for this purpose.
    I read that in Syria, "Gorynych" successfully dismantled some street barricades. I guess that's the whole point of this car.

MOST of our damaged vehicles from Avdiivka to Zaporizhia are the result of mine explosions. If the Russian Army had an effective means of mine clearance, then the fighting was already going on at least near Dnepropetrovsk.

Many schizophrenics and people who are simply far from earth look for some kind of behind-the-scenes games and conspiracies in the events at the front, but the reasons for failures are so simple that many refuse to believe in them. For example, the fact that the Russian Army does not have effective means of mine clearance."
    So, firstly, he echoes the words of another Russian analyst in saying that the UR-77 is nearly useless in real world situations. One reason is the explosive hose/charge is simply too short to clear a long enough section. Sure, they fire off several of them in succession to clear a longer path, but this takes a long time particularly if you’re under enemy long range fire like ATGM’s and artillery.

Secondly, one of the things he doesn’t mention but others have, is that if it’s windy, the charge will often blow at least 30 degrees off course, and it’s difficult to truly lay the charge down accurately along the path you want.

The truth is, it’s a tool to have, and is useful in some situations. But for the majority of real world mine clearing purposes through the types of conditions we see around Ugledar and elsewhere on the fronts, it is simply not up to the task of the main mine clearing purposes.

Vladlen also decries Russian losses on mines, stating that by far the largest portion of Russian losses comes from them. And that if Russia had much more effective mine clearance abilities, it would greatly improve the situation on every front. However, the only thing he, and many others of the ‘doomer variety’, misses is that as explained earlier, no country on the planet would be able to fully, successfully, and consistently deal with the types of mine conditions we see in Ukraine. The Forbes article outlined how easy it is to simply shower the entire field with mines from artillery shells and MLRS systems. There is simply no country and no equipment on the planet that can consistently deal with this.

Russia itself has remote mining vehicles that can pepper an entire field with thousands of mines in mere minutes. There is no amount of clearing you can do to keep up with that as such systems can continue flooding you with mines even as you’re clearing them.

------------------

(..article continues..)
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), Bruce G Charlton (27th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Ewan (27th March 2023), Gwin Ru (27th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), Miller (27th March 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Ravenlocke (27th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (27th March 2023), Snoweagle (28th March 2023)

9. Link to Post #8865
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,789 times in 5,537 posts

Source: https://t.me/Slavyangrad/39116

Recorded on or around March 26th

Text:
    The AFU commanders are first throwing Russian-speaking Ukrainians to certain death.

AFRF soldiers said they collected the IDs of the dead soldiers of the Ukrainian army on the frontlines near Maryinka.

According to those IDs, the residents of the Russian-speaking regions are thrown into the frontlines of the battle. Similar tactics is used everywhere along the line of contact in Donbass.

Subtitle by: Max, Slavyangrad

Last edited by Tintin; 27th March 2023 at 10:10.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

10. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

avid (27th March 2023), Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Ewan (27th March 2023), Gwin Ru (27th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), Miller (28th March 2023), Pam (28th March 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Ravenlocke (27th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (28th March 2023)

11. Link to Post #8866
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,522 times in 32,931 posts

Quote Posted by Ravenlocke (here)
    Douglas Macgregor: The Future of Warfare is Devastation

Col Douglas Macgregor Straight Calls - Analysis of breaking news and in-depth discussion of current geopolitical events in the United States of America and the world.

Many thanks, and that was interesting. It was clear that Macgregor's presentation was over 10 years old, long before the current war in Ukraine, but it was very prescient regarding the importance of ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance) in future warfare.

Russia is deploying ISR to great effect, with pinpoint targeting of enemy locations via drones and satellites, which are then targeted with equally pinpoint precision-guided artillery, safely (for the Russians!) from many miles away. Infantry soldiers are important in (e.g.) fierce local battles such as in Bakhmut, but the future of warfare will increasingly be automated, high-tech and remotely controlled — and also far more devastating than ever before.

12. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Dennis Leahy (27th March 2023), Ewan (27th March 2023), Gwin Ru (27th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), kudzy (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), Miller (27th March 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Ravenlocke (27th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (28th March 2023), Tintin (27th March 2023), Violet3 (28th March 2023), Yoda (27th March 2023)

13. Link to Post #8867
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,420 times in 685 posts

Zelensky Admits Ukraine Already Ran Out Of Ammo
    The US-led West’s Mainstream Media (MSM) began reporting more accurately on the military-strategic dynamics of the NATO-Russian proxy war in Ukraine since the start of the year, but the true test of their comparatively improved integrity will be whether they raise awareness about Zelensky’s latest damning admission. In an interview with Japanese newspaper Yomiuri Shimbun, he candidly told his interlocutors that “We do not have ammunition. For us the situation in the East is not good.”

This is a major revelation for several reasons.

First, it proves that Russia is winning NATO’s self-declared “race of logistics” in the sense that its armed forces still have ammo to continue fighting while the West’s Ukrainian proxies already ran out of that which their patrons provided over the past year.

Second, the aforesaid aid that was already extended to this crumbling former Soviet Republic exceeds $100 billion, which makes Russia’s leading position in this “race of logistics” all the more impressive.

Third, Zelensky’s admission adds credence to what the Washington Post recently reported regarding how poorly Kiev’s forces are faring in this conflict, especially its “severe ammunition shortages” that one of its sources spoke about. Fourth, the preceding points drastically decrease the chances that Kiev’s upcoming counteroffensive will achieve much of anything and actually make it increasingly likely that such a move would be an epic mistake that could ultimately lead to a decisive Russian breakthrough.

And finally, it can therefore be expected that Zelensky and his agents of influence across the West will beg for even more aid, arguing that the failure to pay up would risking making their prior investments in this proxy war all for naught if Kiev ends up losing to Russia. The problem, however, is that no amount of money can make ammunition appear out of thin air since it requires a lot of time to scale production accordingly to meet these newfound exorbitant needs.

The very fact that Ukraine is out of ammunition proves that the West’s defeat in its self-declared “race of logistics” with Russia might already be a fait accompli by this point since it’s clear that Kiev can’t keep pace with its opponent despite being backed by all of NATO’s military-industrial capacity. Zelensky almost certainly didn’t realize that his candid admission essentially amounted to this, but it’s presently unclear whether the MSM will inform their audience about this or not.

On the one hand, doing so could contribute to his forthcoming begging campaign, but it could also backfire if taxpayers start asking whether it’s worth ponying up even more money if Ukraine already ran out of ammo despite the over $100 billion in aid that it’s received thus far. After all, if that astronomical sum wasn’t enough to keep their guns firing, then there’s no telling how much will be needed for Kiev to reconquer more of its lost territory like it intends to do.

Not only that, but as was earlier explained, no amount of money can make ammunition appear out of thin air. Quite clearly, fundamental changes in the Ukrainian Armed Forces are needed in order to indefinitely perpetuate this conflict like the US is plotting to do, but its fighters can’t immediately transition to using exclusively Western equipment when they’re used to operating Soviet-era wares. This poses a dilemma since Russia keeps moving further ahead in this “race of logistics” as each day goes by.

Objectively speaking, the military-strategic dynamics are trending in the Kremlin’s favor, which would ordinarily compel Kiev to seriously consider China’s peace plan if it wasn’t for its American overlords preventing it from doing so. The longer that Zelensky remains resistant to the very thought of a ceasefire, the greater the chances are that Russia will transform its growing advantage in its “race of logistics” with NATO into a decisive victory that could result in Ukraine losing even more territory.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...y-ran-out-ammo

14. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to kfm27917 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), Bruce G Charlton (27th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Dennis Leahy (27th March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (27th March 2023), Ewan (27th March 2023), Gwin Ru (27th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), Miller (27th March 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Ravenlocke (27th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (28th March 2023), Tintin (27th March 2023), Violet3 (28th March 2023), Yoda (27th March 2023)

15. Link to Post #8868
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,782 times in 4,377 posts

... worth the if already posted somewhere:

Donato Yaakov Secchi
    @doyaksec

https://twitter.com/doyaksec/status/...Cx7d6rvcEtAAAA

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Gwin Ru For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Ewan (27th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), Ivanhoe (28th March 2023), kfm27917 (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), Miller (27th March 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Ravenlocke (27th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (28th March 2023), Tintin (27th March 2023)

17. Link to Post #8869
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,027 times in 2,189 posts

I would say this could easily be considered a small step toward WWIII

Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark struck a deal to run their 200+ advanced fighter jets as a single fleet, creating a new headache for Russia

• The four Nordic countries agreed to operate their roughly 250 fighter jets in one fleet.
    • Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark, have modern air forces that include F-35s.
    • They joined forces hoping to deter Russia.
    The air forces of four Nordic countries agreed to operate their fleets of around 250 fighter jets as a combined force, hoping to deter Russia by working together.

Air force commanders of Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark said Friday that they have signed a letter of intent to establish a unified Nordic air defense, Reuters reported.

"The ultimate goal is to be able to operate seamlessly together as one force by developing a Nordic concept for joint air operations based on already known NATO methodology," Denmark's air force said in a statement, per Bloomberg.

"Our combined fleet can be compared to a large European country," commander of the Danish air force, Major General Jan Dam, told Reuters.

Dam said the move was in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine last year. The invasion also prompted Sweden and Finland to seek entry into NATO, an alliance which already includes Denmark and Norway.

The joint force will be a worry for Russia, boasting a significant number of top-tier fighter jets.

Source & read full story: https://www.businessinsider.com/norw...e-fleet-2023-3

18. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to rgray222 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), drneglector (29th March 2023), Ewan (27th March 2023), Gwin Ru (27th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), JackMcThorn (27th March 2023), kfm27917 (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), Miller (27th March 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Ravenlocke (27th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (28th March 2023), Tintin (27th March 2023), Violet3 (28th March 2023)

19. Link to Post #8870
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,670 times in 9,997 posts

[url]https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1640344916898324481

[url]https://twitter.com/PeImeniPusha/status/1640361243243421696

“I want to elaborate on this woman a bit. The name Mustafaeva Aida Sapferovna is a Tatar name. Ukrainians always claim that Crimea needs to be "liberated", because its native inhabitants are Tatars and not Russians. He gets more irritated at her name and the fact that she speaks Russian, rather than her just passing the convoy. Now imagine what happens in the hypothetical situation Ukraine occupies Crimea and almost no one there speaks Ukrainian and a good portion of residents are Tatars.

Think about it.”

https://twitter.com/LogKa11/status/1640354238663458819

Last edited by Ravenlocke; 27th March 2023 at 15:30.

20. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Ewan (27th March 2023), Gwin Ru (27th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), Miller (13th April 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (28th March 2023), Tintin (27th March 2023), Vicus (28th March 2023), Violet3 (28th March 2023)

21. Link to Post #8871
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/narrative_hole/s...16011751657473

https://twitter.com/narrative_hole/s...14071495892992

22. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (28th March 2023), Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Gwin Ru (27th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), kfm27917 (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), Miller (13th April 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (28th March 2023), Tintin (27th March 2023), Vicus (28th March 2023)

23. Link to Post #8872
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,614 times in 5,382 posts

In terms of WW3, and nuclear war, comes this recently declassified video of nuclear detonation testing through the 50s, 60s,...:

very good, 30 mins.

https://www.infowars.com/posts/wwiii...clear-strikes/
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

24. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

avid (28th March 2023), Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Ewan (28th March 2023), Gwin Ru (27th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), kfm27917 (27th March 2023), Miller (13th April 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Ravenlocke (27th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (28th March 2023), Tintin (27th March 2023)

25. Link to Post #8873
    Thanks

Big interview with Putin | Russia, Ukraine, China, NATO, United States. RU

RUSSIA can supply tactical nuclear weapons to Belarus!
    On this channel you can watch the English dubbed version of this video:

• Big interview wit...
    Russian President Vladimir Putin gave a long interview to a Russian journalist. This interview covered the following topics:
    - sabotage and explosions on the Nord Stream gas pipelines;
    - Putin's talks with President of the People's Republic of China Xi Jinping;
    - Russia's special military operation in Ukraine;
    - supply of shells with depleted uranium to Ukraine by Great Britain;
    - deployment of warehouses of tactical nuclear weapons by Russia in Belarus.

26. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (28th March 2023), Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), Bruce G Charlton (28th March 2023), Chester (29th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Ernie Nemeth (28th March 2023), Ewan (28th March 2023), Gwin Ru (27th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), Miller (13th April 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Reinhard (27th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (28th March 2023), Tintin (27th March 2023)

27. Link to Post #8874
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/stat...21238794272769

28. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (28th March 2023), Ba-ba-Ra (27th March 2023), Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), Bruce G Charlton (28th March 2023), cursichella1 (13th April 2023), Ernie Nemeth (28th March 2023), Gwin Ru (27th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), kfm27917 (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), Miller (13th April 2023), Reinhard (28th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (30th March 2023), Tintin (28th March 2023)

29. Link to Post #8875
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/narrative_hole/s...51667089846273

https://twitter.com/narrative_hole/s...53240536854530

30. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (28th March 2023), Bill Ryan (27th March 2023), Bruce G Charlton (28th March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (28th March 2023), Gwin Ru (28th March 2023), Hym (27th March 2023), kfm27917 (27th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), Miller (13th April 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (28th March 2023), Tintin (28th March 2023), Vicus (28th March 2023)

31. Link to Post #8876
    Switzerland Avalon Member Helvetic's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,795 times in 3,258 posts

Seymour Hersh | Who blew up Nord Stream? | March 27, 2023

Source: Marc Friedrich youtube, Seymour Hersh Substack

Description:
    Investigative journalist Seymour Hersh is my guest today - for the first time on a German YouTube channel! Hersh talks about his research and the background to the article in question and together we get to the bottom of the matter.

Timetable:

00:00:00 - Introduction
    00:01:45 - Who blew up Nord Stream and why?
    00:15:20 - Were you surprised by the reactions?
    00:21:05 - Reaction to name-calling.
    00:26:56 - Why are you sure you have the right information?
    00:29:55 - Fact checkers on BALTOPS.
    00:38:21 - New revelations.
    00:43:57 - Did the German government contact you?
    00:49:27 - Have you met your source in person? Do you know who it is?
    00:52:25 - Would you do it again after all the backlash?
    00:57:56 - What's the next story?
    "Earth is currently restricted today for normal development of timeline progress. With us telling you everything would change everything."

32. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Helvetic For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Bruce G Charlton (28th March 2023), Ewan (28th March 2023), Gwin Ru (28th March 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Ravenlocke (28th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (30th March 2023), Tintin (28th March 2023)

33. Link to Post #8877
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/ArthurM40330824/...58113111273473

https://twitter.com/ArthurM40330824/...59559823261696

https://twitter.com/ArthurM40330824/...60467676188672

34. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

avid (28th March 2023), Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Bruce G Charlton (28th March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (28th March 2023), Gwin Ru (28th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (30th March 2023), Tintin (29th March 2023), Vicus (28th March 2023)

35. Link to Post #8878
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/statu...35130362724354

36. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Gwin Ru (28th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (30th March 2023), Tintin (29th March 2023), Vicus (29th March 2023)

37. Link to Post #8879
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/tassagency_en/st...53154986835978

https://tass.com/society/1595413?utm...m_social_share

Over 5.5 mln refugees arrive in Russia from Ukraine, Donbass since February 2022

About 39,000 people, including over 11,000 children, are staying at temporary accommodation centers in Russia

MOSCOW, March 28. /TASS/. The number of refugees who have arrived in Russia from Ukraine and Donbass since February 2022 has grown to 5.5 million people, a law enforcement official told TASS on Tuesday.

"Overall, since February [2022], a little more than 5.5 million people, including over 749,000 children, have arrived in Russia," the official said.

About 39,000 people, including over 11,000 children, are staying at temporary accommodation centers in Russia. The others are living with their relatives, in private homes or have left Russia.

One-off payments of 10,000 rubles ($131) per person have been suspended. In all, almost 12.3 billion rubles ($160.6 million) has so far been paid out to refugees.

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Gwin Ru (28th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (30th March 2023), Tintin (29th March 2023), Vicus (28th March 2023)

39. Link to Post #8880
    Thanks

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1640828611614629891

https://www.rt.com/russia/573033-ukr...d-petal-mines/

Here’s why Human Rights Watch deliberately only scratched the surface in exploring Ukraine’s use of banned ‘petal’ mines

The American NGO begrudgingly acknowledges one of Kiev’s war crimes, but not without smearing Russia along the way

Eva Bartlett is a Canadian independent journalist. She has spent years on the ground covering conflict zones in the Middle East, especially in Syria and Palestine (where she lived for nearly four years).

Since Ukraine dropped thousands of mines on the Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) in July, 104 people have fallen victim to the internationally-banned PFM-1 ‘petal’ (otherwise known as ‘butterfly’) devices. Nine of them are children. Of which three died.

Among the most recent civilians to be injured, on March 19, were two 60-year-old men. On February 26, a woman in her sixties was wounded in her neighborhood. On February 14, a teenager stepped on a petal mine near a school. These are just a few documented examples from recent weeks.

The first wave of over 40 victims came within the first few weeks after Ukrainian forces deployed the mines over Donetsk en masse in July 2022, and the number has more than doubled since. Since then I, along with other reporters on the ground, have documented their lingering presence and the civilian victims.

NGO reports... selectively

After signing the 1997 Mine Ban Treaty in 1999, Kiev was obligated to destroy its stockpile of 6 million PFM-1s. It denies using them, but abundant evidence incriminates Kiev in this particular war crime. While the West has yet to turn its attention to the victims of the petal mines in the Donbass, reports of Ukraine using them elsewhere have emerged.

In its January 2023 report on banned landmines, the Human Rights Watch NGO notes, “In 2021, Ukraine reported to the UN secretary-general that 3.3 million stockpiled PFM mines still need to be destroyed.” HRW then advised Ukraine to investigate itself for its use of the prohibited mines.

The report is titled “Ukraine: Banned Landmines Harm Civilians. Ukraine Should Investigate Forces’ Apparent Use; Russian Use Continues,” implying that not only is Russia also deploying the petal mines, but that Russia’s use of them is beyond question, while Kiev’s use is open to debate.

Yet, much like in 2020, when the UN accused Russia of war crimes in Syria based on “we say so” and unnamed sources, you won’t find proof of Russia’s use of petal mines in the HRW report. In fact, buried there is a HRW admission that it “has not verified claims of Russian forces using PFM mines in the armed conflict.” This is a standard media tactic: boldly state one thing in a headline and quietly clarify the opposite in the body of the article, which most people won't bother reading.

On the other hand, HRW claims it interviewed over 100 people, “including witnesses to landmine use, victims of landmines, first responders, doctors, and Ukrainian de-miners,” regarding Ukraine's use of the objects in Izium (a city in the Kharkov region, north of Donetsk) while it was briefly under Moscow’s control. The HRW team entered the city after Russian forces withdrew in September. Everyone interviewed, the report noted, “said they had seen mines on the ground, knew someone who was injured by one, or had been warned about their presence during Russia’s occupation of Izium.”

The testimony records that the areas were all, “close to where Russian military forces were positioned at the time, suggesting they were the target,” and that residents in Izium said that rocket attacks, “happened frequently during the Russian occupation.”

The West is silent as Ukraine targets civilians in Donetsk using banned ‘butterfly’ mines
    The West is silent as Ukraine targets civilians in Donetsk using banned ‘butterfly’ mines
    The report cited 11 civilian mine-casualties, and noted that HRW had seen “physical evidence of PFM antipersonnel mine use,” including, “unexploded mines, remnants of mines, and the metal cassettes that carry the mines in rockets.”

It has to be noted that HRW has been banned in Russia since April 2022, making it impossible for the organization to gather evidence on the ground in areas controlled by Russian forces. However, lack of access to evidence has not stopped it from using its report to carry accusations against Russia, citing Ukraine’s former prosecutor general Irina Venediktova’s claim that “Russian forces used PFM mines in the Kharkivska region as early as February 26”. In contrast, the numerous credible reports of Kiev’s use of petal mines in Donetsk, available through open sources, are absent from the report.

HRW’s history of targeted condemnations

Human Rights Watch is one of many Western-funded NGOs with a history of whitewashing NATO and its allies' crimes while pretending to be a neutral observer. Over the years, I've pointed out the hypocrisy of Ken Roth, who was the George Soros-funded NGO’s executive director from 1993-2022. In March 2021 he pushed Washington's propaganda about Russia starving Syria. More glaringly, in 2015, Roth used footage from an eastern Gaza neighbourhood (Shuja’iyya) that had been flattened by Israel, to claim the footage depicted Syria's Aleppo. He went on to likewise push the 2013 Ghouta “chemical” narrative, which had long been widely-discredited by journalists and by the so-called “rebels” themselves.

If dubious claims from HRW or its representatives aren't indication enough of their allegiances to Western narratives, then their links to the US government should be. The vice chair of its board of directors, Susan Manilow, according to this 2014 article, describes herself as “a longtime friend to Bill Clinton,” who helped manage his campaign finances. Bruce Rabb, also on the board, lists in his biography that he “served as staff assistant to President Richard Nixon” from 1969-70 – the period in which his administration secretly and illegally carpet-bombed Cambodia and Laos.

The article further notes that the advisory committee for HRW’s Americas Division has even boasted the presence of a former Central Intelligence Agency official, Miguel Díaz. According to his State Department biography, Díaz served as a CIA analyst and also provided “oversight of US intelligence activities in Latin America” for the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence.

So, when HRW recently decided to finally discuss Ukraine's deployment of the insidious petal mines (tens of thousands of which have been fired into the Donbass by Ukraine over the course of the past year), it is not because the body has suddenly become neutral and impartial, but it is rather a grasp at credibility: reporting what is widely known – that, in violation of international law, Ukraine has been deploying Petal mines – but avoid providing the whole story.

By downplaying and ignoring Kiev's widespread use of petal mines throughout the DPR, HRW is deliberately downplaying war crimes, much like the entirety of Western corporate media.

Kiev’s Western supporters may even have to deal with its use of the petal mines at their own expense down the line – Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has recently announced his country would invest $2.2 million into de-mining Ukraine. Of course, no mention was made of the Ottawa Treaty-banned munitions which will have to be cleared.

Kiev’s deadly delivery

In one incident I witnessed first hand, an attack took place just after 9 pm on July 30, 2022. Ukraine fired rockets, each packed with over 300 mines, onto Donetsk, its suburbs, and other cities, including Yasinovataya, Makeevka and Gorlovka. The rockets exploded in the air to ensure greater distribution of devices on the ground. The attack mirrored previous ‘deliveries’ to the hard-hit Donetsk districts of Kievskiy, Kirovsky and Kuibyshevkiy.

The morning after, I walked the central Donetsk streets extremely carefully, wary of every leaf or piece of cardboard which could be obscuring or covering a Petal mine, so difficult are they to pick out from their surroundings. They cannot seriously damage military vehicles, which means that scattering them over Donetsk only has one purpose – to target and maim civilians. Some models of the petal mines have a self-destruct timer. Others, including those used by Kiev, can stay on the ground for years.

The innocent victims of Donbass

Since reporting the initial bombardment in late July, I have been following up on the methodical destruction of these mines by Russian sappers, as well as on civilians harmed by the illegal munitions. One of the more recent victims was 14 year old Nikita. His foot was blown off when in early November, 2022, he stepped on a mine in a playground while on his way to visit his grandmother.

RT journalist Roman Kosarev recently spoke with another recent teenage victim, who stepped on a petal mine when getting into a car.

Kosarev also spoke to the Director of the Donetsk Republic’s Trauma Center, Andrey Boryak, who said: "The injury from such a mine is very severe, and immediately leads to a handicap. It's almost impossible to save the foot and the lower part of the leg.”

HRW has had over 6 months to investigate Ukraine littering the DPR with Petal/PFM-1 mines… but it has not, and will not. It's once again the case that the lives of Donbass civilians don't matter when it comes not only to Western media reporting but also to supposedly-neutral human rights bodies. Even worse still is the knowledge that in spite of the valiant efforts of sappers in the DPR, the mines will inevitably claim more innocent civilians as their victims.

40. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ravenlocke For This Post:

Bill Ryan (28th March 2023), Ernie Nemeth (28th March 2023), Gwin Ru (28th March 2023), Michel Leclerc (28th March 2023), pounamuknight (28th March 2023), Rizotto (28th March 2023), shaberon (29th March 2023), Snoweagle (30th March 2023), Tintin (29th March 2023), Vicus (28th March 2023)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 444 of 716 FirstFirst 1 344 394 434 444 454 494 544 716 LastLast