+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Queen needs more money to maintain Royal homes

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,301 times in 5,193 posts

Default Queen needs more money to maintain Royal homes

The Queen has asked the government for more money to deal with a growing backlog of repairs to Buckingham Palace and other royal residences, newly published accounts reveal.

Quote The monarch currently receives £11.9 million a year from the public purse to maintain and repair her homes which include Windsor Castle and St James's Palace.
    But because of a pay freeze she can only carry out emergency repairs to the buildings and says she will need more money to stop the royal households from falling into disrepair.
    The current budget means that while a £3.5 million repair to the crumbling facade of Buckingham Palace had gone ahead, other key projects had been forced to be put on hold.
    These included replacing lead and slate roofs, refurbishing state rooms and overhauling antiquated heating systems.
    Officials at Buckingham Palace claimed that as well as the postponing projects, the Queen had tried to balance the books with increased revenues from her estate.
    "However, these initiatives alone are unlikely to be successful in averting the growth in backlog in future years and further funding will be required in due course," it concluded.
    The claims were outlined in the Queen's Official Expenditure accounts for the year to April.
    They show that the cost of supporting the monarchy fell by £1.8 million in the last financial year to £32.1 million, equivalent to a saving of three pence per person.
    Thanks to a slight reduction in staff – from 111 to 106 – and a pay freeze, the Civil List spending fell from 14.2 million to £13.7 million throughout the year.
    Property management dropped from £15.4 million to £11.9 million and maintaining website and press relations remained about the same at £500,000.
    However Royal travel costs rose from £3.9 million to £6 million in 2010/11.
    This was mainly due to a one-off repayment of £1.5 million from the trading in of the Royal helicopter keeping costs down last year but was also due to an increase in fees for using RAF aero planes.
    This resulted in the royal household chartering more private planes increasing travel fees by £600,000.
    The report listed journeys costing £10,000 or more by air or rail.
    These included £356,253 for the charter flight costs of the state visit of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh to the United Arab Emirates and Oman in November.
    The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall's trip to India as part of an official Foreign Office visit in October cost £298,089 in charter flights.
    The Duke of York's charter flight travel in April last year as part of an official UK Trade and Investment (UKTI) and Foreign Office visit to Italy and central Asia cost £121,810.
    Sir Alan Reid, keeper of the privy purse, said the fall in spending had been achieved through increased income generation, deferral of property maintenance and a pay freeze for staff which will continue this year.
    But he warned that it would be "very difficult" for expenditure to reduce "very much further" without having an effect on the royal household's work to support the Queen and the long-term health of the estate.
    "The Queen is very keen that the royal household should continue to reduce its expenditure in line with public expenditure reductions," he said.
    "The decrease in expenditure is due mainly to increased income generation, the deferral of property maintenance expenditure and the implementation of a pay freeze.
    "This pay freeze will continue on to this year."
    He added: "Over the past five years, the Queen's official expenditure has reduced by 19 per cent in real terms and while the royal household will continue to identify efficiencies, it will be very difficult for overall expenditure to reduce very much further without impacting on the royal household's activities in support of the Queen and the long-term health of the estate."
    The accounts do not include the cost of providing security for the Royal family.
    source
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...yal-homes.html

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

161803398 (6th July 2011), Aurelius (7th July 2011), Eric J (Viking) (6th July 2011), g.k.r (18th July 2011), GCS1103 (6th July 2011), giovonni (17th July 2011), karelia (6th July 2011), Lord Sidious (6th July 2011), Maia Gabrial (6th July 2011), oceanz (6th July 2011), Rainbowbrite (18th July 2011), Ria (6th July 2011), winnasboy (6th July 2011)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Queen needs more money to maintain Royal homes

Should've spent less on the recent wedding.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oceanz For This Post:

Davidallany (17th July 2011), GCS1103 (6th July 2011), Maia Gabrial (6th July 2011)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,301 times in 5,193 posts

Quote Posted by oceanz (here)
    Should've spent less on the recent wedding.
    I think the public paid for that too, more or less.
    Is she pleading poverty, then I think we should ask for her accounts to be made public, as does whoever applies for aid.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ktlight For This Post:

Davidallany (17th July 2011), g.k.r (18th July 2011), GCS1103 (6th July 2011), giovonni (17th July 2011), Lord Sidious (6th July 2011), Maia Gabrial (6th July 2011), Marikins (7th July 2011), Rainbowbrite (18th July 2011)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,215 times in 3,111 posts

More than a billion people survive on 1 dollar a day...I'm sure she'll survive...

Bloody shameless greedy cow!! Can't think of a word appropriate enough to describe her audacity!!!

viking
    You decide...your thoughts..your actions..your reality.
    Choose well.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...are-the-change

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Eric J (Viking) For This Post:

Davidallany (17th July 2011), g.k.r (18th July 2011), GCS1103 (6th July 2011), John Parslow (6th July 2011), ktlight (6th July 2011), Lord Sidious (6th July 2011), Maia Gabrial (6th July 2011), muxfolder (6th July 2011), Omni (6th July 2011), Rainbowbrite (18th July 2011), Ria (6th July 2011)

9. Link to Post #5
    England Avalon Member HURRITT ENYETO's Avatar
    Over the Moon Under the Sun. Manchester UK
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,333 times in 531 posts

Awww bless.
    Come on guys...lets have a whip round....after all do you know how much Gold and Marbel costs nowadays.....
    Alright i'll donate a fiver.........whats her address?

Hurritt
    The Universe at its heart is a Phantom.
    God sleeps in the Minerals, Awakens in Plants, Walks in the Animals and Thinks in Man.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HURRITT ENYETO For This Post:

GCS1103 (6th July 2011)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,215 times in 3,111 posts

The only 'whip' she'll be getting from me will be spiked with needles!!

viking
    You decide...your thoughts..your actions..your reality.
    Choose well.
    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...are-the-change

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric J (Viking) For This Post:

g.k.r (18th July 2011), HURRITT ENYETO (6th July 2011), Lord Sidious (6th July 2011)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

It's a big place - I'm sure they can all bunk in together and "eat cake"...

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to oceanz For This Post:

GCS1103 (6th July 2011), HURRITT ENYETO (6th July 2011), Lord Sidious (6th July 2011), Maia Gabrial (6th July 2011), Marikins (18th July 2011), thunder24 (6th July 2011)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 times in 2,998 posts

Why do the people of the UK put up with this farce in modern times? A QUEEN? Really?! Royalty? Truly absurd.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (17th July 2011), g.k.r (18th July 2011), John Parslow (6th July 2011), ktlight (6th July 2011), Lord Sidious (6th July 2011), Maia Gabrial (6th July 2011)

17. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

Austerity measures for the people, austerity measures for the queen. She can hold an estate sale and sell some places like we would if we were faced with budget cuts.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lost Soul For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (17th July 2011), g.k.r (18th July 2011), HURRITT ENYETO (7th July 2011), ktlight (6th July 2011)

19. Link to Post #10
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

I will refrain from telling you avalonuggets how I really feel.
    Let's just say I am of fenian background.

20. Link to Post #11
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,157 times in 529 posts

liz might be available on this UK no 02079304832.
    good luck.

21. Link to Post #12
    UK Avalon Member Thinking Allowed's Avatar
    Thanks

The Royal family don't actually cost the British tax payer that much. It's a traditional here and they have no real powers. I truly don't believe in the hierarchy of monarchy and the class system, but they cause us no harm really and bring in money from tourism as well as maintain all their lands (which they aren't allowed to sell as far as I know). Should we evict them and build shopping malls there? If we're worried about the cost of the Royal family then I think we could save several billion pounds by reducing our spending on defence (trying to be a world power) when we are really just a small country with a 'small man' inferiority complex now the Empire has gone.
    ---------- If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything ----------

22. Link to Post #13
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,151 times in 3,856 posts

I agree with you, conk. Talk about useless eaters.... And the royalty, blue blood nonsense has got to go too

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maia Gabrial For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (17th July 2011), Lord Sidious (6th July 2011)

24. Link to Post #14
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 times in 309 posts

Dam senile old woman...Queeny you put your missing cash in your matress like all the other old bitties! the secret emergency stash is in the hay loft in a suit case under 4 feet of straw in the south west corner..... hehe....

Seriously though .. Hosting Will and Kate Just Cost Canada a bunch, next you know it we'll be doaling out a bunch to upkeep her palaces too..

25. Link to Post #15
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,128 times in 3,536 posts

I can´t believe we´re living in the XXI century and we still have this medieval stuff going on...It´s disgusting and it makes me sick.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RMorgan For This Post:

Darla Ken Pearce (17th July 2011), GCS1103 (18th July 2011), ktlight (7th July 2011), Lord Sidious (6th July 2011), Maia Gabrial (7th July 2011)

27. Link to Post #16
    Canada Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,618 times in 479 posts

Ah! Ah! Dear Queen, I got a Queen too and she is very happy with very few things. Just try it and drop all that loads of properties, titles, ownership, etc.. Just keep a small cosy house with the ones you love and let go free all these people working for you. They are just wasting their time anyway. Ask you sons to get a work and they will be able to finance any repair on your cosy home. Make all these off-springs of yours to get a relevant work and they will learn a lot about the human condition.

After that, ill help you out if you need. Just drop that load you carry.

Namaste, Steven

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Steven For This Post:

sidh25 (18th July 2011)

29. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,352 times in 1,657 posts

In 1977, the Bank set up a wholly owned subsidiary called Bank of England Nominees Limited, (BOEN), a private limited company, with 2 of its 100 £1 shares issued. According to its Memorandum & Articles of Association, its objectives are:- “To act as Nominee or agent or attorney either solely or jointly with others, for any person or persons, partnership, company, corporation, government, state, organisation, sovereign, province, authority, or public body, or any group or association of them….”

Bank of England Nominees Limited was granted an exemption by Edmund Dell, Secretary of State for Trade, from the disclosure requirements under Section 27(9) of the Companies Act 1976 , because, “it was considered undesirable that the disclosure requirements should apply to certain categories of shareholders.” The Bank of England is also protected by its Royal Charter status, and the Official Secrets Act.

more

I think this is propaganda to make it look like shes in the same boat as us financially.
    Last edited by Muzz; 6th July 2011 at 23:01.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muzz For This Post:

ktlight (7th July 2011), Lord Sidious (6th July 2011)

31. Link to Post #18
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,961 times in 687 posts

Quote Posted by Lord Sidious (here)
    Fenian? You're the lads who invaded Canada right after the American Civil War. Somehow, invasions into Canada from the south never succeed.

32. Link to Post #19
    Palestinian Territory Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,087 times in 6,275 posts

Quote Posted by Lost Soul (here)
    Fenian? You're the lads who invaded Canada right after the American Civil War. Somehow, invasions into Canada from the south never succeed.
    You might wanna do a bit more research on that term nugget.

33. Link to Post #20
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 times in 309 posts

Quote Posted by Lost Soul (here)
    Looks at most North and South wars, the North seams to always keep what it has.. Short of killing them all and enraging thier suporters how do you oust a monarchy now a days, bankrupting them never happens unless you bankrupt a nation and our queeny has more than one nation under her boot...

34. The Following User Says Thank You to DouglasDanger For This Post:

ktlight (7th July 2011)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast