Page 212 of 246 FirstFirst 1 112 162 202 212 222 246 LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,240 of 4920

Thread: Transition into Trump

1. Link to Post #4221
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,657 times in 2,960 posts

Default Re: Transition into Trump

THANK YOU. edina! This, indeed, has been a concerted effort on the part of many.

We know there were White Hats working toward this change for a long time & Trump was approached by some branch of the military which, seemingly, convinced him it was time to run. I believe it was Ronald Reagan who told him, "You could be President!" To which he answered, "I know!".....totally his style, right?!

I don't believe any President since Abraham Lincoln has been hated as much as Trump! Can anyone think of a time when this country has been so separated into such opposing sides? This is why I love Lionel's humorous take on things....it's like "facts" do not matter anymore. I can speak for myself; I know I was not taught Critical Thinking during my public school education. Imagine that?! Seventy years without thinking for myself?!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (11th June 2018), BMJ (12th June 2018), edina (11th June 2018), genevieve (13th June 2018), KiwiElf (12th June 2018), mojo (11th June 2018)

3. Link to Post #4222
    United States Avalon Member edina's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,656 times in 2,478 posts

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    See these great posts from Bruno, Helen, Amor and Michelle Marie here : https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1228883

Re: Department Of Homeland Security Compiles List Of All Bloggers, Journalists, & "Social Media Influencers"
    Quote Posted by Bruno (here)
    Quote Posted by Helene West (here)
    What will help us is bridging the divide between right and left.

Many on the lib side are young, too young to remember the '80s. From the '80s until the Patriot Act the darlings of the deep state was the Right. I remember it well. They are too young to realize that the government goes back and forth giving preferential treatment as it suits them at the moment. Now the du jour darlings are the Left. Tomorrow?

Trump is the fiddle that Nero was playing as Rome burned.
    Doesn't matter if you're right or left. If you're right then you cheer on his supposed good things he's doing. If you're left you're sufficiently filled with hate that you cheer the surveillance/censorship because you are deluded in thinking it will only be used against the right. Either way focus is on trump while america goes down into tyranny.

Ostensibly it seems the 'deep state' is down on alt and right everything. But ultimately they don't want anyone who has influence even on the left from having an impact. it may be a ways down the road before they turn on the left but they will. Ultimately we are to get marching orders from only 'official' sources.

An olive branch between right and left is the way out, it's the great fear of the ruling class. We have so much more in common than we don't but I see no one, nothing on the horizon to facilitate this.

Damn Helen! You hit the nail on the head!
    Maybe the olive branch that unites will be the truth that is the same for all.

Such as:
    * Health issues (GMOs, pharmaceuticals/vaccines, smart meters, 5G)
    * Privacy issues
    * Transhumanism issues

Quote Posted by amor (here)
    As I said on another post, keep the Truth coming and it will work like SALT on a SLUG!
    Yeah, like SALT on a SLUG! LOL

My view is that it's not Right vs. Left,
    But rather,
    Right vs. Wrong

The olive branch is caring for everyone with no divisions.

MM
    hmmm..... I see where the difference of opinion is coming from.

I understand turiya's frustration.

If you've been reading this thread, then you'll how much turiya has been sharing in this thread aligns with what you're trying to inform us of.

There is not a lack of awareness as to these other issues which are a part of the bigger picture being shared here.

Trump is working with the people as a part of the solution. Not as a fiddle to the Deep State's illusion.
    He's under near constant attack from the corrupt factions and elements within Deep State.

Perhaps this where the divisiveness I'm seeing in these posts comes from, a difference in opinion about the role that Trump plays in the process.

I agree, it transcends parties. And in reading what turiya has shared here in this thread for the past five or so months, I would say turiya also agrees on this issue. It's insulting to keep accusing turiya of something he's not guilty of, in my opinion.

Maybe that is not your intention. But, it's what it looks like to me.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (11th June 2018), BMJ (12th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th June 2018), KiwiElf (12th June 2018), mojo (11th June 2018), turiya (11th June 2018)

5. Link to Post #4223
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 120,886 times in 21,340 posts

If you read Turiya's post here: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1228727
    ...it seems clear enough to me from Turiya's accusations that he believes me to be far Left leaning, which I am not,and that I've not been keeping up with what Trump has been doing, which is also not the case.
    I personally haven't seen much from Turiya that indicates he is tolerant of anything that is critical of Trump (who is human and not without faults) or the Trump Admin.
    If you haven't read the Trump is Not the Answer thread, you wouldn't know that posting anything critical of the Trump Admin. (not necessarily Trump personally) was swiftly retaliated with a counter argument from the Trumpeters here, with Turiya in the lead.

Quote Posted by edina (here)
    Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    See these great posts from Bruno, Helen, Amor and Michelle Marie here : https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1228883

Re: Department Of Homeland Security Compiles List Of All Bloggers, Journalists, & "Social Media Influencers"
    Quote Posted by Bruno (here)
    Quote Posted by Helene West (here)
    What will help us is bridging the divide between right and left.

Many on the lib side are young, too young to remember the '80s. From the '80s until the Patriot Act the darlings of the deep state was the Right. I remember it well. They are too young to realize that the government goes back and forth giving preferential treatment as it suits them at the moment. Now the du jour darlings are the Left. Tomorrow?

Trump is the fiddle that Nero was playing as Rome burned.
    Doesn't matter if you're right or left. If you're right then you cheer on his supposed good things he's doing. If you're left you're sufficiently filled with hate that you cheer the surveillance/censorship because you are deluded in thinking it will only be used against the right. Either way focus is on trump while america goes down into tyranny.

Ostensibly it seems the 'deep state' is down on alt and right everything. But ultimately they don't want anyone who has influence even on the left from having an impact. it may be a ways down the road before they turn on the left but they will. Ultimately we are to get marching orders from only 'official' sources.

An olive branch between right and left is the way out, it's the great fear of the ruling class. We have so much more in common than we don't but I see no one, nothing on the horizon to facilitate this.

Damn Helen! You hit the nail on the head!
    Maybe the olive branch that unites will be the truth that is the same for all.

Such as:
    * Health issues (GMOs, pharmaceuticals/vaccines, smart meters, 5G)
    * Privacy issues
    * Transhumanism issues

Quote Posted by amor (here)
    As I said on another post, keep the Truth coming and it will work like SALT on a SLUG!
    Yeah, like SALT on a SLUG! LOL

My view is that it's not Right vs. Left,
    But rather,
    Right vs. Wrong

The olive branch is caring for everyone with no divisions.

MM
    hmmm..... I see where the difference of opinion is coming from.

I understand turiya's frustration.

If you've been reading this thread, then you'll how much turiya has been sharing in this thread aligns with what you're trying to inform us of.

There is not a lack of awareness as to these other issues which are a part of the bigger picture being shared here.

Trump is working with the people as a part of the solution. Not as a fiddle to the Deep State's illusion.
    He's under near constant attack from the corrupt factions and elements within Deep State.

Perhaps this where the divisiveness I'm seeing in these posts comes from, a difference in opinion about the role that Trump plays in the process.

I agree, it transcends parties. And in reading what turiya has shared here in this thread for the past five or so months, I would say turiya also agrees on this issue. It's insulting to keep accusing turiya of something he's not guilty of, in my opinion.

Maybe that is not your intention. But, it's what it looks like to me.
    Each breath a gift...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

BMJ (12th June 2018), edina (11th June 2018)

7. Link to Post #4224
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Your right, I haven't read the "Trump is Not The Answer" thread. It seems to be coming from a position very different than my own.
    And I'm not argumentative by nature.

We all have to choose where we place the focus of our attention.

Your "tit for tat" comment earlier is what queued me to the fact that this is a disagreement coming from elsewhere in the forum.

Not from the context of this thread.

I'm only speaking from this context, because this is the context that I am participating in, this thread.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (12th June 2018), BMJ (12th June 2018), KiwiElf (12th June 2018), mojo (11th June 2018), onawah (11th June 2018), onevoice (11th June 2018), turiya (11th June 2018)

9. Link to Post #4225
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,838 times in 5,080 posts

I see that you don't see....
    Having open eyes will show...
    Trump is neither right nor left.
    Both Papa Bush & Baby Bush, including NoName John McCain, all voted for Clinton.
    The neocons don't like him anymore than your Marxist Democrats.

The real parties are the conscious & the unconscious parties. And both have their extremes... extremely conscious & extremely unconscious.

Which party do you belong to?
    Last edited by turiya; 11th June 2018 at 21:07.

10. Link to Post #4226
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by turiya (here)
    I see that you don't see....
    Having open eyes will show...
    Trump is neither right nor left.
    Both Papa Bush & Baby Bush, including NoName John McCain, all voted for Clinton.
    The neocons don't like him anymore than your Marxist Democrats.

The real parties are the conscious & the unconscious parties.
    Trump is pragmatic. He's not party oriented either.

I think to clarify for people. I didn't vote for Trump. I think I've mentioned this somewhere here.

I did a write in for Rand Paul, because of Rand's focus on auditing the fed.

However, once Trump was elected, I made a point of trying to understand what sort of president he would be, what to expect from him.

The most helpful information I came across at that time was Newt Gringrich's talks at the Heritage Foundation, "Understanding Trump and Trumpism."

I haven't read the earlier posts in this thread turiya. Did you share a link to those talks here already?

If not, I'll chase them down and pop them in here.

It was understanding that Trump was pragmatic over political that helped me understand him and his actions much better.
    Last edited by edina; 11th June 2018 at 21:19.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (12th June 2018), BMJ (12th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th June 2018), KiwiElf (12th June 2018), turiya (11th June 2018)

12. Link to Post #4227
    Thanks

The most helpful information I came across at that time was Newt Gringrich's talks at the Heritage Foundation, "Understanding Trump and Trumpism."

I haven't read the earlier posts in this thread turiya. Did you share a link to those talks here already?

It was understanding that Trump was pragmatic over political that helped me understand him and his actions much better.
    I like Gingrich. He's a good speaker.
    But I never paid any more attention to him other than what was found within Fox News interviews.
    Eloquent in how he phrases things.
    But he's a diehard globalist to the core.
    That's what I had written to Trump & his Transition Team at Trump Tower.
    That was at the time of Transition, when they were wanting some feedback on who to put in what position.
    Last edited by turiya; 11th June 2018 at 21:26.

13. Link to Post #4228
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I like Gingrich. He's a good speaker.
    But I never paid any more attention to him other than what was found within Fox News interviews.
    Eloquent in how he phrases things.
    But he's a diehard globalist to the core.
    That's what I had written to Trump & his Transition Team at Trump Tower.
    That was at the time of Transition, when they were wanting some feedback on who to put in what position.
    I remember thinking this about Gringrich, too. Especially back in the 90's.

Then I read his forward in William R Forstchen's book, One Second After. And I realized I needed to revisit my opinion of him.

That said, in that forward he is warning about North Korea, which is interesting in a different way, now, with recent current events.

I believe that Trump trusted Newt enough to send him to Antarctica this last year. And he named Newt's wife as Ambassador to the Vatican, which is something I thought was interesting, too. Newt's wife... instead of Newt???

Also... too funny turiya. You wrote and expressed your opinion to the transition team. Love that!!! LOL
    Last edited by edina; 11th June 2018 at 22:07.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (12th June 2018), BMJ (12th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th June 2018), KiwiElf (12th June 2018), turiya (11th June 2018)

15. Link to Post #4229
    Thanks

Major Event World Wide, Stay Vigilant,
    Follow The White Rabbit - Episode 1589b

(Jun 11, 2018)

VIDEO

___Qanon part of the X22Report__________

Q Note: Erik Prince / Blackwater is presently protecting Kin Jong-Un while he is staying in Singapore...

Q !CbboFOtcZs No.100
    Jun 10 2018 22:11:35 (EST)SING_CLAS_P_L1.png
    First up up are the so-called “supertrees” at the “Gardens by the Bay” in Singapore.
    And this is the another part of that same complex; you can see the same “trees” there, next to the domes.
    Both these pics, judging by the ominous T-shaped shadow, show that they were taken from atop the Marina Bay Sands Hotel. There really isn’t any alternative in the area, in terms of vantage point:

Start the Clock.
    A Week to [Remember].
    Think Logically.
    First private [CLAS-5(6)]
    Second public.
    Blackwater on GUARD.
    Evidence KILLS.
    These people are STUPID.
    Q
    Q gives us a signal to start the clock. I think this is an obvious reference to Trump and Kim Jong-Un’s peace summit meeting.
    Trump and Kim’s first meeting was private.
    This one is public.
    Evidence kills… Hmmmm….

#Anon had a thought about that:

Quote Anonymous ID: dac787 No.1693990
    Jun 10 2018 22:17:43 (EST)
    Thank you for guarding POTUS, Erik.
    Q !CbboFOtcZs ID: 2af222 No.1693998
    Jun 10 2018 22:18:31 (EST)>>1693990
    Not POTUS.
    Q

Damn blackwater is guarding KJU!
    Anonymous 06/11/18 (Mon) 00:27:46 2802d6 No.1694931>>1695305>>1695517
    File (hide): 5274455550a6465⋯.jpeg (877.93 KB, 1125×1101, 375:367, 190829C1-2606-406D-B795-4….jpeg) (h)(u)

File (hide): 79ac756dd2bd131⋯.jpeg (802.19 KB, 1125×1008, 125:112, 2EBA71B4-B793-49B3-82DE-6….jpeg) (h)(u)

File (hide): 814d8cf6ad7478d⋯.jpeg (1.93 MB, 1125×2166, 375:722, 3DF275E0-4FDA-44AC-8960-2….jpeg) (h)(u)

KJU guarded by Prince. F2F photo taken from this hotel. Same balcony rails.
    x22Report.com
    Last edited by turiya; 12th June 2018 at 15:33.

16. Link to Post #4230
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,222 times in 1,832 posts

But the answer has always been US, We The People.
    And to expand on that thought, that's right not only the people of the USA but of the entire world.

The Q posts are more than just tidbits suggesting what is going on behind closed doors. It is a mechanism by which POTUS Trump is trying to ignite critical thinking, and investment by individuals in these happenings, a means by which to guide people back to taking ownership of decisions in their lives, decisions which are currently made by our governments.

In a few words Q is about personal empowerment.

Tptw biggest fear is an empowered person this fear is on par with their fear of exposure for their pedophilia.

Beyond that Q is there to provide hope and a catalyst for people like us tin foil hats / white hats whom can effect positive change in our own sphere of influence.

Then after this commentary this all circles back to "But the answer has always been US, We The People."

I might have missed something but there you go.

P.S. Thanks Turiya, typo corrected.
    Last edited by BMJ; 15th June 2018 at 17:38.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Alekahn2 (12th June 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (12th June 2018), edina (12th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th June 2018), KiwiElf (12th June 2018), mojo (12th June 2018), turiya (12th June 2018)

18. Link to Post #4231
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,222 times in 1,832 posts

A little aside about our favourite villain that is HRC. You have seen that strange thing on her tongue and her failed attempts at the macarena as she wobbles all over the place unable to do the dance, maybe this is the reason why?

Kuru Disease

Signs and symptoms
    In the second (sedentary) stage, the infected individual is incapable of walking without support and suffers ataxia and severe tremors. Furthermore, the individual shows signs of emotional instability and depression, yet exhibits uncontrolled and sporadic laughter.

Cause

Kuru is largely localized to the Fore people and people with whom they intermarried,[14] and was transmitted through ritualistic cannibalism.[12] The Fore people ritualistically cooked and consumed body parts of their family members following their death to symbolize respect and mourning. Because the brain is the organ enriched in the infectious agent prion, women and children, who consumed brain and viscera, had much higher likelihood of being infected than men, who preferentially consumed muscles"

Makes sense doesn't it.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

Last edited by BMJ; 19th July 2018 at 13:33.

19. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

Alekahn2 (12th June 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (12th June 2018), Bill Ryan (12th June 2018), David Trd1 (12th June 2018), edina (12th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th June 2018), genevieve (13th June 2018), Hervé (12th June 2018), KiwiElf (12th June 2018), mojo (12th June 2018), onevoice (12th June 2018), Reinhard (12th June 2018), turiya (12th June 2018)

20. Link to Post #4232
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I agree BMJ, when I say US, We the People, I mean in a global sense, all Humanity. In my mind, this is a global movement.

I think we'll see this more and more over the months and years to come.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

About Hillary and the disease you mention... yikes.

I've heard that she does have a sort of seizure type disease, a Latin name I can't remember.

And I had wondered about the disease that afflicts people who practice cannibalism.
    I remember first learning about that in the movie, The Book of Eli.
    Thanks for the information.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to edina For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (12th June 2018), Bill Ryan (12th June 2018), BMJ (12th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th June 2018), genevieve (13th June 2018), KiwiElf (12th June 2018), mojo (12th June 2018), turiya (12th June 2018)

22. Link to Post #4233
    France On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 95,961 times in 15,481 posts

Quote Posted by BMJ (here)
    [...]
    Makes sense doesn't it.
    [...]
    Indeed!

Here is something out of the Sue Arrigo material (Case 28 DCI Robert Gates, Torture, and Ashes of Children):
    Dining on the Ashes of Dead Children at the Rockefeller’s Table

The next slide shows an entry from Nelson Rockefeller's journal again. It says that his garden is growing well in spite of the warnings of the CIA. It goes on to say that it gives him "unadulterated pleasure" to feed his vegetables to his visiting guests and dignitaries "knowing the origin of the substance".

Lest there be any doubts in the matter, here on the next page, he goes on to say "I have been assured that the effect is entirely on the darker planes [of existence], and that no human germs can be transmitted in this fashion". A few lines later there is a reference to Kuru Kuru which is a cannibalistic disease caused by the people in New Guinea eating the raw brains of their enemies.

Here a few pages later is a long discussion on what evil energies can be harnessed by eating one's enemies. There is no evidence that such practices are anything more than deluded superstitions to rationalize gloating over blood lust conquests.

This next slide shows a much later journal by David Rockefeller discussing the need to re-examine the occult practices of the New World Order now that mad cow disease "has succeeded" as an economic warfare practice. Note that Canadian and English beef were not allowed into the US for many years due to "mad cow disease" cases while the US cases were swept under the carpet. The US stopped testing its cows to avoid finding more cases. Note that one of the practices he lists as needing review is the spread of ashes in the Estate's cultivated acres.

Here is a page from a report in the Rockefeller Archives by a Fort Detrick bio-warfare expert in which there is a discussion about the number of "potential vectors", i.e. number of dead victims, that have been spread on the Estate's cultivated acres "since the start of the research in mad cow disease." If mad cow disease was not created in a research lab, the relevant time period to study would be since the disease was first discovered in nature. Clearly, he is in a position to know whether the disease was developed in that lab for the purpose of economic warfare. His choice of language reveals that he personally believes that it was developed at Fort Detrick because here in his report to Rockefeller he say, "our mad cow disease has been enormously influential”. The report goes on to analyze the decrease in IQ which can be expected in the populace without overt signs of the full blown disease which he says occurs in less than 0.002% of the population.

Here is the next page of his report showing the IQ test scores of British school children in a graph plotted against "Years after introduction of the agent". The school that this study was done in, was one in an upper middle class suburb of London. The students started out before the introduction of the "agent" with an average IQ of 112. A little over 5 years later the average IQ was 97, for a change of 15 IQ points. A careful reading of the study shows that the same exact students were tested each year, so the difference is not due to an influx of refugees, etc. .

This report was read by David Rockefeller as evidenced by these changes he decided to make in the occult rituals of the NWO, as you see in this next journal entry. Note that one of those changes is to research a quick test for mad cow's disease which can be done "on the spot by non-medical personnel, say by saliva testing." This slide shows that Fort Detrick begins work on a saliva test for mad cow disease about 2 months later. Since the report by the Fort Detrick bio-warfare expert said that the incinerators were already adequate to prevent the transmission of mad cow disease and all human diseases existent, it appears that the saliva test is relevant to another ritual using human remains.
    =======================================

I guess, then, that HRC has turned into a mad cow...
    "La réalité est un rêve que l'on fait atterrir" San Antonio AKA F. Dard

Troll-hood motto: Never, ever, however, whatsoever, to anyone, a point concede.

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hervé For This Post:

Alekahn2 (12th June 2018), Ba-ba-Ra (12th June 2018), Bill Ryan (12th June 2018), BMJ (13th June 2018), edina (12th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (12th June 2018), KiwiElf (12th June 2018), mountain_jim (12th June 2018), onevoice (12th June 2018), RunningDeer (12th June 2018), turiya (12th June 2018)

24. Link to Post #4234
    Thanks

Kuru Disease.... mmmm.... Very interesting, BMJ. I have not heard of this kind of thing before. But it does make perfect sense, especially with HRC's odd behavior over the years. Her notable laughing over the killing of Muammar Gaddafi also comes to mind.

Oh btw, I think you may have overlooked a typo in Post #4230... I assume you meant to say "people like us tin foil hats / white hats whom..." instead of what is written there...

Post #4230:
    Last edited by turiya; 14th June 2018 at 12:14.

25. Link to Post #4235
    Thanks

Dennis Rodman over the Kim Jong Un / Trump signing...

It's a pitty they still don't understand what's happening.
    Axios

7:50 PM - 11 Jun 2018

26. Link to Post #4236
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,522 times in 971 posts

Quote Posted by TargeT (here)
    I don't like the sound of this... what evidence was this based on???
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN14I1TY
    All this is dependent on is the 'Top Secret - Highly Classified - National Security purposes.... that is all that the Deep State has to keep running its shadow government. We are just at the beginnings of the seemingly 'new' war that will be ongoing for the next 4-8 years. Obama is to be kept around Washington D.C., as the 'front man' to run this shadow government while physically occupying its "Shadow White House"...

Ed Klein: It seems Obama is having a tough time letting go
    (Published on Dec 28, 2016)

And, no doubt, it will be George Soros footing the bill on this 'shadow White House'...

Authored by George Soros,
    originally posted at Project Syndicate

Well before Donald Trump was elected President of the United States, I sent a holiday greeting to my friends that read: “These times are not business as usual. Wishing you the best in a troubled world.” Now I feel the need to share this message with the rest of the world. But before I do, I must tell you who I am and what I stand for.

I am an 86-year-old Hungarian Jew who became a US citizen after the end of World War II. I learned at an early age how important it is what kind of political regime prevails. The formative experience of my life was the occupation of Hungary by Hitler’s Germany in 1944. I probably would have perished had my father not understood the gravity of the situation. He arranged false identities for his family and for many other Jews; with his help, most survived.

In 1947, I escaped from Hungary, by then under Communist rule, to England. As a student at the London School of Economics, I came under the influence of the philosopher Karl Popper, and I developed my own philosophy, built on the twin pillars of fallibility and reflexivity. I distinguished between two kinds of political regimes: those in which people elected their leaders, who were then supposed to look after the interests of the electorate, and others where the rulers sought to manipulate their subjects to serve the rulers’ interests. Under Popper’s influence, I called the first kind of society open, the second, closed.

The classification is too simplistic. There are many degrees and variations throughout history, from well-functioning models to failed states, and many different levels of government in any particular situation. Even so, I find the distinction between the two regime types useful. I became an active promoter of the former and opponent of the latter.

I find the current moment in history very painful. Open societies are in crisis, and various forms of closed societies – from fascist dictatorships to mafia states – are on the rise. How could this happen? The only explanation I can find is that elected leaders failed to meet voters’ legitimate expectations and aspirations and that this failure led electorates to become disenchanted with the prevailing versions of democracy and capitalism. Quite simply, many people felt that the elites had stolen their democracy.

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the US emerged as the sole remaining superpower, equally committed to the principles of democracy and free markets. The major development since then has been the globalization of financial markets, spearheaded by advocates who argued that globalization increases total wealth. After all, if the winners compensated the losers, they would still have something left over.

The argument was misleading, because it ignored the fact that the winners seldom, if ever, compensate the losers. But the potential winners spent enough money promoting the argument that it prevailed. It was a victory for believers in untrammeled free enterprise, or “market fundamentalists,” as I call them. Because financial capital is an indispensable ingredient of economic development, and few countries in the developing world could generate enough capital on their own, globalization spread like wildfire. Financial capital could move around freely and avoid taxation and regulation.

Globalization has had far-reaching economic and political consequences. It has brought about some economic convergence between poor and rich countries; but it increased inequality within both poor and rich countries. In the developed world, the benefits accrued mainly to large owners of financial capital, who constitute less than 1% of the population. The lack of redistributive policies is the main source of the dissatisfaction that democracy’s opponents have exploited. But there were other contributing factors as well, particularly in Europe.

I was an avid supporter of the European Union from its inception. I regarded it as the embodiment of the idea of an open society: an association of democratic states willing to sacrifice part of their sovereignty for the common good. It started out at as a bold experiment in what Popper called “piecemeal social engineering.” The leaders set an attainable objective and a fixed timeline and mobilized the political will needed to meet it, knowing full well that each step would necessitate a further step forward. That is how the European Coal and Steel Community developed into the EU.

But then something went woefully wrong. After the Crash of 2008, a voluntary association of equals was transformed into a relationship between creditors and debtors, where the debtors had difficulties in meeting their obligations and the creditors set the conditions the debtors had to obey. That relationship has been neither voluntary nor equal.

Germany emerged as the hegemonic power in Europe, but it failed to live up to the obligations that successful hegemons must fulfill, namely looking beyond their narrow self-interest to the interests of the people who depend on them. Compare the behavior of the US after WWII with Germany’s behavior after the Crash of 2008: the US launched the Marshall Plan, which led to the development of the EU; Germany imposed an austerity program that served its narrow self-interest.

Before its reunification, Germany was the main force driving European integration: it was always willing to contribute a little bit extra to accommodate those putting up resistance. Remember Germany’s contribution to meeting Margaret Thatcher’s demands regarding the EU budget?

But reuniting Germany on a 1:1 basis turned out to be very expensive. When Lehman Brothers collapsed, Germany did not feel rich enough to take on any additional obligations. When European finance ministers declared that no other systemically important financial institution would be allowed to fail, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, correctly reading the wishes of her electorate, declared that each member state should look after its own institutions. That was the start of a process of disintegration.

After the Crash of 2008, the EU and the eurozone became increasingly dysfunctional. Prevailing conditions became far removed from those prescribed by the Maastricht Treaty, but treaty change became progressively more difficult, and eventually impossible, because it couldn’t be ratified. The eurozone became the victim of antiquated laws; much-needed reforms could be enacted only by finding loopholes in them. That is how institutions became increasingly complicated, and electorates became alienated.

The rise of anti-EU movements further impeded the functioning of institutions. And these forces of disintegration received a powerful boost in 2016, first from Brexit, then from the election of Trump in the US, and on December 4 from Italian voters’ rejection, by a wide margin, of constitutional reforms.

Democracy is now in crisis. Even the US, the world’s leading democracy, elected a con artist and would-be dictator as its president. Although Trump has toned down his rhetoric since he was elected, he has changed neither his behavior nor his advisers. His cabinet comprises incompetent extremists and retired generals.

What lies ahead?

I am confident that democracy will prove resilient in the US. Its Constitution and institutions, including the fourth estate, are strong enough to resist the excesses of the executive branch, thus preventing a would-be dictator from becoming an actual one.

But the US will be preoccupied with internal struggles in the near future, and targeted minorities will suffer. The US will be unable to protect and promote democracy in the rest of the world. On the contrary, Trump will have greater affinity with dictators. That will allow some of them to reach an accommodation with the US, and others to carry on without interference. Trump will prefer making deals to defending principles. Unfortunately, that will be popular with his core constituency.

I am particularly worried about the fate of the EU, which is in danger of coming under the influence of Russian President Vladimir Putin, whose concept of government is irreconcilable with that of open society. Putin is not a passive beneficiary of recent developments; he worked hard to bring them about. He recognized his regime’s weakness: it can exploit natural resources but cannot generate economic growth. He felt threatened by “color revolutions” in Georgia, Ukraine, and elsewhere. At first, he tried to control social media. Then, in a brilliant move, he exploited social media companies’ business model to spread misinformation and fake news, disorienting electorates and destabilizing democracies. That is how he helped Trump get elected.

The same is likely to happen in the European election season in 2017 in the Netherlands, Germany, and Italy. In France, the two leading contenders are close to Putin and eager to appease him. If either wins, Putin’s dominance of Europe will become a fait accompli.

I hope that Europe’s leaders and citizens alike will realize that this endangers their way of life and the values on which the EU was founded. The trouble is that the method Putin has used to destabilize democracy cannot be used to restore respect for facts and a balanced view of reality.

With economic growth lagging and the refugee crisis out of control, the EU is on the verge of breakdown and is set to undergo an experience similar to that of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s. Those who believe that the EU needs to be saved in order to be reinvented must do whatever they can to bring about a better outcome.

Souroce
    "Trump will prefer making deals to defending principles. Unfortunately, that will be popular with his core constituency."

A typical purist ideologue mentality, one that prefers idealism over pragmatics and actually getting things done.

I would be very suspicious of any project this goon (Soros) advocates.

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (12th June 2018), BMJ (13th June 2018), edina (12th June 2018), Foxie Loxie (13th June 2018), genevieve (13th June 2018), KiwiElf (12th June 2018), onevoice (12th June 2018), turiya (12th June 2018)

28. Link to Post #4237
    Morocco Unsubscribed
    Language
    Discordian
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,082 times in 4,764 posts

I heard a reference to this photo in an interview, and just had to look it up to see if it were true. Nine generals on the left, eleven on the right. Now, just why would they make such an asymmetrical photo op? It made me laugh.

29. Link to Post #4238
    Thanks

Quote Posted by PurpleLama (here)

I heard a reference to this photo in an interview, and just had to look it up to see if it were true. Nine generals on the left, eleven on the right. Now, just why would they make such an asymmetrical photo op? It made me laugh.
    Actually not all are military generals.
    In fact, aside from POTUS & VP, not all are military - note #20 - Patrick M. Shanahan is a businessman.

I don't know. But, to me, the asymmetrical photo op goes along with Trump being politically incorrect.

Last edited by turiya; 12th June 2018 at 22:17.

30. Link to Post #4239
    Thanks

A recent Trump tweet.... the video Trump said that he showed to Kim Jong Un...

Here is the video, “A Story of Opportunity” that I shared with Kim Jong-un at the
    #SingaporeSummit
    ➡️
    facebook.com/WhiteHouse/videos/1710505219037204/ …

2:23 PM - 12 Jun 2018

Last edited by turiya; 12th June 2018 at 22:40.

31. Link to Post #4240
    Thanks

Robert De Niro Shouts "F**k Trump" At Tony Awards, Gets Standing Ovation

"I’m going to say one thing: '**** Trump,’” said De Niro, who was presenting an award at the Tony awards. "It’s no longer ‘down with Trump,' it’s '**** Trump'."
    • JUN 11, 2018 5:17 PM

Trump Blasts "Punch Drunk," "Very Low IQ" Robert De Niro Over Tonys Rant

"Robert De Niro, a very Low IQ individual, has received to many shots to the head by real boxers in movies..."
    • JUN 12, 2018 5:50 PM

Robert De Niro, a very Low IQ individual, has received to many shots to the head by real boxers in movies. I watched him last night and truly believe he may be “punch-drunk.” I guess he doesn’t...
    1:53 PM - 12 Jun 2018

...realize the economy is the best it’s ever been with employment being at an all time high, and many companies pouring back into our country. Wake up Punchy!
    1:53 PM - 12 Jun 2018
    Last edited by turiya; 12th June 2018 at 23:05.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 212 of 246 FirstFirst 1 112 162 202 212 222 246 LastLast